Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia RTX 4090 Founder's Edition Review | MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Xiaoki said:
    This thread sounds like "back in my day you could get a bowl of soup, a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie for a nickel".

New thing meant for enthusiast members of a luxury hobby is expensive? Shocker.
    So you'd be OK with it at $3,500 or $7,000 because it's the high-end card of a luxury hobby?

IceAgeAsm0deusSplattr
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    This thread sounds like "back in my day you could get a bowl of soup, a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie for a nickel".

So you'd be OK with it at $3,500 or $7,000 because it's the high-end card of a luxury hobby?
    It is rather expensive, but then can we expect otherwise? I saw your comments about the Nivida range, if you are going to be buying a PC for gaming no one would go for the bottom of their range surely? But I don't like the idea consoles can even compete with their low-end cards, they need to sort that out.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited October 2022
    The future of BFGPU's! image

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 561

Scot said:

"It's a Massive Card And Might Force Owners To Replace Their Case"

Now you are talking, it puts consoles in their place, while even mini-towers watch and weep! :D

I still can't close my case, Scot. It's pretty comical. And my case is HUGE by most standards.
    Scot
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

I don't become irrationally angry when wrist watch manufacturers sell watches for half a million.

Because that would be stupid.
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

I don't become irrationally angry when wrist watch manufacturers sell watches for half a million.

I didn't know you were a watch hobbyist too.

I care about great PC gaming performance at affordable prices. I don't give a shit about watches or bling for fools.
    Asm0deus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

I care about great PC gaming performance at affordable prices. I don't give a shit about watches or bling for fools.

Well, then, nVidia has you covered with the RTX 2060. Can play the latest games at acceptable frame rates and can find it for less than $250.

Its a good video card for the frugal penny pincher.
    Iselin
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

Well, then, nVidia has you covered with the RTX 2060. Can play the latest games at acceptable frame rates and can find it for less than $250.

He said great performance, not acceptable. I agree that a 2060 is a good deal for frugal gamers but I will guess that your claim of acceptable frame rates is at 1080p and not 4k ultra settings with ray tracing on which is what anyone looking at a 4090 is targeting.
  • mibgeneralmibgeneral Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I'm still using GTX 980 TI, runs every games fine.
  • HewhodontHewhodont Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    *Laughs in GTX 970*
    Splattr said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

He said great performance, not acceptable. I agree that a 2060 is a good deal for frugal gamers but I will guess that your claim of acceptable frame rates is at 1080p and not 4k ultra settings with ray tracing on which is what anyone looking at a 4090 is targeting.

Anyone targeting those settings wouldnt be complaining about the cost.
    Well, anyone thats not a complete troll at least.

You're not getting top of the line performance at bargain bin prices.
    edited October 2022
    Interesting thoughts on dlss 3.

Vrika

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited October 2022
    The advantage of DLSS 3 is that it could double your frame rate as compared to DLSS 2.  The disadvantage is that it will need to double your frame rate as compared to DLSS 2 in order to maintain comparable latency and image quality.  That typically won't be a net win unless the goal is a high nominal frame rate, without caring about the real-world effects.

I've got much more to say about this here, but decided that it deserved its own thread:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/499212/the-trouble-with-dlss-and-related-algorithms
    Xiaoki said:
    Splattr said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

Are you sure? There are people willing to pay $1600 for a 4090, but I also think many of them will still complain about the price. I don't think anyone is saying, "$1600, sure thing! That's a bargain!"
    Asm0deus
    Splattr said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Splattr said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:

Are you sure? There are people willing to pay $1600 for a 4090, but I also think many of them will still complain about the price. I don't think anyone is saying, "$1600, sure thing! That's a bargain!"
    I went from a 980 to a 2070 super and both of those were very good cards in their time AND affordable. I have up to now typically skipped a generation and looked at the next. I might just be skipping this gen or going back to AMD for the first time in a long time unless they also go nuts with prices.
    Asm0deus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    IselinScot
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    To sum up what we've learned today, kiddies: 
    I need to do a benchmark test of these.........lower specs may mean different gaming options.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    JudgeUK said:
    To sum up what we've learned today, kiddies: 
    I need to do a benchmark test of these.........lower specs may mean different gaming options.
    You know you won't even be allowed to do an unboxing.
    Splattr

So, back on topic, with the announcement that Gotham Knights will be capped at 30fps on console, how is that "consoles have narrowed the gap" statement holding up now? I suppose it's fitting that you'll need a $1600 graphics card to hit 60+ fps since Batman is always playing with toys that the regular human could never afford.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/news/gotham-knights-game-performance-mode-30-60-fps/

edited October 2022
    It appears they will cancel the launch to rename the cards at possibly a lower price point.

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

When a GFX costs the same as 3 Xbox X I think it's time to predict a large uptick in console sales and a severe downtrend for gaming PCs.

It is literally the most expensive and sought after GPU you can buy right now...
    There are plenty of budget options to choose from if you want to build a PC, I got a 1660S a few years ago for $250 and today 3050s are going for $299 on amazon.
    If you want to build the latest, greatest, fastest rig that 2022 can offer then yeah it's gonna cost more than 3 Xbox X.

I mentioned those consoles specifically because they do current high-end games in 4K at 60 FPS The low-end current-gen cards struggle to do that.

I care more about the other options for my graphics than I do 4k. Most consoles upscale the resolution anyways. I dont wanna play a console game on 4k with basically medium graphics. I think its easily possible to tweak settings, tweak ini folder, create an overclock profile, build a cheap pc, and run it better than consoles can run it. Latest parts always cost a premium but you will be able to get insane deals on 3080tis when the new cards drop.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2022
    It appears there is indeed a flaw in the new power cables provided with your new expensive rtx 4090! 

Much like cablemods has been saying be very wary of bending the cable too much at a sideways angle especially.  If I bought one of these card I would probably invest in a better cable with 90 degree angle just for piece of mind tbh.

Summary and conclusion

The overall build quality of the included adapter for the GeForce RTX 4090, which is distributed by NVIDIA itself, is extremely poor and the internal construction should never have been approved like this. NVIDIA has to take its own supplier to task here, and replacing the adapters in circulation would actually be the least they could do. I will therefore summarize once again what has struck those involved (myself included) so far:

• The problem is not the 12VHPWR connection as such, nor the repeated plugging or unplugging.
    • Standard compliant power supply cables from brand manufacturers are NOT affected by this so far.
    • The current trigger is NVIDIA’s own adapter to 4x 8-pin in the accessories, whose inferior quality can lead to failures and has already caused damage in single cases.
    • Splitting each of the four 14AWG leads onto each of the 6 pins in the 12VHPWR connector of the adapter by soldering them onto bridges that are much too thin is dangerous because the ends of the leads can break off at the solder joint (e.g., when kinked or bent several times).
    • Bending or kinking the wires directly at the connector of the adapter puts too much pressure on the solder joints and bridges, so that they can break off.
    • The inner bridge between the pins is too thin (resulting cross section) to compensate the current flow on two or three instead of four connected 12V lines.
    • NVIDIA has already been informed in advance and the data and pictures were also provided by be quiet! directly to the R&D department.

Actually, I wanted to do something completely different today, but this correction was more important to me. Blanket panic and gloating are really bad advisors here when it comes to introducing new standards. That AMD has not (yet) joined the plug change was shown in my news about one of the upcoming board partners. But if you, like NVIDIA, take such a radical step, then at least the included accessories should work properly over after a little bending and ensure a safe, stable operation of the graphics cards.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-instructs-AIB-partners-to-send-RTX-4090-cards-affected-by-power-connector-issues-directly-to-headquarters.664695.0.html
    Reports of dying RTX 4090 cards due to melting power adapters started popping up all over social media this week and Nvidia is now quickly escalating this issue as an absolute priority. According to industry sources close to Igor’s LAB, Nvidia has not yet made any public statement detailing the exact problem with the power connectors, but has contacted all affected AIB partners and instructed them to send the damaged cards “directly to HQ for failure analysis.”

A video about it but he is using info taken from Igor's Lab.

Scot