Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG: Solo MMO

GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
edited September 2022 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Yes, I know that I've placed it in the wrong place and yes, it bothers me, but then again, nobody really checks the actual LFG part of the site, so...bear with me. it's not easy to go so categorically wrong as I have just gone. Regardless, onto the meat of the matter:

Seeing how close I am to finishing my business in Warhammer Online(only like 10+ years too late ; oh well, better late than never) and that I have done my run for this x2 XP event, I find myself not having anything in specific to play. And I thought to myself: "Why not try something new, some new MMO?". So, let me just quickly lay out some parameters I am looking for:

SOLO: It needs to have an interesting solo gameplay. Now, this is highly subjective, but I am receptive to all and any suggestions here. Solo mustn't feel like an afterthought and the gameplay needs to be good, alive, to have a good feedback as it were - no matter how grindy it might be. Tbh, I'd pick even giga grind over RNG any day in the week. Yeah, I know that it is silly, but I find other players to be more of a hindrance than a boon.

STORY: Then there is story. And World. And IP. It'd be the best if the game had at least ok writing and if it was a part of an already existing IP. Idk, it's sometimes difficult to hype myself for 100% new stuff. Or, even worse, when a game does a sort of an U turn, like GW 2 did when compared to GW 1.

COMBAT: It doesn't need to be your modern "action combat", but it needs to be fun and responsive. If I don't feel powerful or if I feel like I'm just running in circles, all is for naught.

PAYMENT: Who cares, as long as it isn't something super expensive. Like paid expansions + sub + shop + etc.

ALREADY PLAYED: A lot of MMOs you might think of, but just to quickly mention some that might be relevant here. ESO is just weird to me, I kinda do want to give it a real go, but then again, it is just so weird to me with so many weird systems like the lack of the Auction House(or real shops) etc. LoTR:O is a charming little LoTR game, but it has far too many leveling mistakes, it just isn't enjoyable to me at all. Guild Wars 2 is ... I can't get over how different it is to GW 1, in more ways than one. SWTOR, well, we know all about that, don't we? Had awesome fun, am grateful for that experience. But it is in the past finished tense. That leaves...? Idk, Neverwinter? Age of Conan(it is a good game, but there are issues with it too)? Something else from the left field I am just not perceiving?

///

Thank you for all your suggestions! Feel free to ask anything so that I might clarify any misunderstandings.

Comments

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Seriously asking: if you want to play without others, why are you limiting yourself to this genre?  Warhammer Online is not really a solo friendly game, considering the main thrust is large group PvP and the PvE content is largely considered a catalyst to PvP.

D2 Remastered sounds perfect for you, along with games like Outriders or Destiny.  Vermintide can be played with bots only filling out your squad.  There are a ton of single player RPGs with great combat, both turn-based and real-time.

I played the Pillars games controlling my party only minimally- I used the AI editor to make them generally self-sufficient and enjoyed roleplaying as the leader of a group of adventurers, all keen on their roles in combat.

So again, I'm not being condescending or anything when I ask: why are you set on games from this genre, when your preference seems to conflict so directly with the nature of the genre?  I feel like, outside of MMORPGs, you have more video games that fit your preferences than you could realistically complete.  But if you're limiting it to this genre, you're going to have to choose from relatively slim pickings.

GorweMendel
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited September 2022
    Seriously asking: if you want to play without others, why are you limiting yourself to this genre?  Warhammer Online is not really a solo friendly game, considering the main thrust is large group PvP and the PvE content is largely considered a catalyst to PvP.

D2 Remastered sounds perfect for you, along with games like Outriders or Destiny.  Vermintide can be played with bots only filling out your squad.  There are a ton of single player RPGs with great combat, both turn-based and real-time.

I played the Pillars games controlling my party only minimally- I used the AI editor to make them generally self-sufficient and enjoyed roleplaying as the leader of a group of adventurers, all keen on their roles in combat.

So again, I'm not being condescending or anything when I ask: why are you set on games from this genre, when your preference seems to conflict so directly with the nature of the genre?  I feel like, outside of MMORPGs, you have more video games that fit your preferences than you could realistically complete.  But if you're limiting it to this genre, you're going to have to choose from relatively slim pickings.

I think this needs to be broken down.

1. There is more to it than that when it comes to WAR. It is one of the most group focused games I've experienced, to be sure, but it has a lot of stuff that is simply fun to me. PvE is simple and direct, combat is very satisfying, artstyle and writing is also very satisfying and ... ofc, there is the elephant in the room. Warhammer Fantasy. There is something about how it looks, how it plays when combined with WHFB that is ... very, deeply satisfying. I don't need to even think about PvP...I am not in it to chase loot(even though I do appreciate feeling powerful and appreciate it I do greatly), but to have an awesome fun time.

2. Remastered? Yeah, I probably should play it, but the mods. Vanilla D2 is meh, especially once you have played mods and mods of Median XL caliber. I love Diablo, but idk about vanilla Diablo and a lot of original D2 mods haven't made the cross to D2:R, so...this is my problem with it. Vermintides I've played more than enough. And the problem with single player RPGs is that they are mostly "play and finish" for me. Not a lot of replay value there, let alone "let's just boot up the game, kill some zombos and have fun".

3. Yes, I know that I am not the prime target for the MMO features. But, then again, there is just something fun, pleasant being able to just casually chat or quarrel with strangers like that. And they are often very replayable, very good time sinks. When developed properly, they are awesome fun.
    TheDalaiBomba
    edited September 2022
    That makes sense.  If you like time sinks and can enjoy isometric, both Lost Ark and Albion Online are grinders in their own ways.  Additionally: RuneScape has a lot of grinds and a lot of neat quests that mostly can be done solo.  But again, all of those are isometric.  I think RuneScape has a pleasant look, but I am lukewarm about Lost Ark's.

I will also say that maybe SWG Legends has something for you to enjoy.  It has the grind still, but much more QoL improvements over other versions.  It strikes a good balance of capturing part of the sandbox's best parts without feeling too clunky.  That is, if you're okay with a private server.  It doesn't have a strong narrative, as it still depends upon player economy, instance encounters, and the GCW for the endgame content.  Not sure if any of this helps, but hopefully it will give you something new you can enjoy.  Happy hunting!
    Gorwe
    That makes sense.  If you like time sinks and can enjoy isometric, both Lost Ark and Albion Online are grinders in their own ways.  Additionally: RuneScape has a lot of grinds and a lot of neat quests that mostly can be done solo.  But again, all of those are isometric.  I think RuneScape has a pleasant look, but I am lukewarm about Lost Ark's.

I will also say that maybe SWG Legends has something for you to enjoy.  It has the grind still, but much more QoL improvements over other versions.  It strikes a good balance of capturing part of the sandbox's best parts without feeling too clunky.  That is, if you're okay with a private server.  It doesn't have a strong narrative, as it still depends upon player economy, instance encounters, and the GCW for the endgame content.  Not sure if any of this helps, but hopefully it will give you something new you can enjoy.  Happy hunting!

Perhaps I should have mentioned that Sandboxes are ... weird to me. I definitely need for someone to set the goals for me. I mean, I do have Warsword(Warhammer) mod for Mount | Blade, but...me no comprehende lol.
    No further recommendations?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gorwe said:

ALREADY PLAYED: A lot of MMOs you might think of, but just to quickly mention some that might be relevant here. ESO is just weird to me, I kinda do want to give it a real go, but then again, it is just so weird to me with so many weird systems like the lack of the Auction House(or real shops) etc. 
    IDK what other things you find weird but the lack of an AH is not really an issue until you get to end-game and are looking for specific rare items or have very valuable things you want to sell without chat spamming.

IDK when you last tried it but the game absolutely showers you with set items that improve your build/performance at all levels these days so the usual gearing through the AH is not really a thing in ESO and you won't even find gear that's not max level in the guild vendors anyway.

There are also very few games as solo-friendly as ESO especially now with the large volume of zones and quests.

Their dual-bolster system (everyone under level 50, CP160 gets bolstered to that but additionally, characters level 1-33 get an additional decreasing buff to damage they do and mitigation) is also done deliberately to allow any low-level character to solo quest anywhere if you want to follow a specific zone story instead of doing it in order. You don't even need a good build or good gear if solo questing is what you want to do.

There's also tougher solo and group content all the way up to hard mode raids but that comes later if you even want to do that at all.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited September 2022
    What about vanilla WoW?

Actually Lost Ark isn't too bad. Try Anarchy Online. The Secret World?

I enjoyed exploring and crafting with my legion of workers in The Black Desert Online and then travelling to sell them in far off places.

How about FFXI? I think the game is very soloable now.

I enjoyed Everquest 2 for awhile starting from scratch and soloing my Beastlord with my mercenary. Has some fantastic dungeons in the original game. I only quit because I had a legion of alts and the collections were getting out of hand and so tiring.
    Mendel
    Chamber of Chains
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

ALREADY PLAYED: A lot of MMOs you might think of, but just to quickly mention some that might be relevant here. ESO is just weird to me, I kinda do want to give it a real go, but then again, it is just so weird to me with so many weird systems like the lack of the Auction House(or real shops) etc. 
    IDK what other things you find weird but the lack of an AH is not really an issue until you get to end-game and are looking for specific rare items or have very valuable things you want to sell without chat spamming.

IDK when you last tried it but the game absolutely showers you with set items that improve your build/performance at all levels these days so the usual gearing through the AH is not really a thing in ESO and you won't even find gear that's not max level in the guild vendors anyway.

There are also very few games as solo-friendly as ESO especially now with the large volume of zones and quests.

Their dual-bolster system (everyone under level 50, CP160 gets bolstered to that but additionally, characters level 1-33 get an additional decreasing buff to damage they do and mitigation) is also done deliberately to allow any low-level character to solo quest anywhere if you want to follow a specific zone story instead of doing it in order. You don't even need a good build or good gear if solo questing is what you want to do.

There's also tougher solo and group content all the way up to hard mode raids but that comes later if you even want to do that at all.
    I tried to get into it multiple times. It is just ... weird. The combat is extremely meh, idk, there just isn't any weight to it. Artstyle is very nice, but idk. I often found ESO very confusing ; maybe because I don't really like Sandboxes and like neat little goals. Size does nothi...in fact it does the opposite for me. Extremely big, open world games repel me, I am not fascinated by the landmass.

I mean, if only the combat was better. Because it is terminally boring for me. Almost like it fell into an uncanny valley between an action combat and tab target -> the absolute worst place to find oneself in. Just my experience.
    cheyane said:
    What about vanilla WoW?

Actually Lost Ark isn't too bad. Try Anarchy Online. The Secret World?

I enjoyed exploring and crafting with my legion of workers in The Black Desert Online and then travelling to sell them in far off places.

How about FFXI? I think the game is very soloable now.

I enjoyed Everquest 2 for awhile starting from scratch and soloing my Beastlord with my mercenary. Has some fantastic dungeons in the original game. I only quit because I had a legion of alts and the collections were getting out of hand and so tiring.

No, those are generally too old and don't feel good to play. Modern WoW could be a possibility, but I am not a big fan of Warcraft. It just feels like, excuse the term, pseudo Warhammer for children. Starcraft and Diablo are much better if you ask me.

Everquest 2? It is a beautiful game, but I felt like a stranger in a strange land. And not in a good way like in Morrowind. I feel like there is just entirely too much content to go through, to learn, it is a titanic task. And it's positively ancient ; charming, but meh.

Really, how about Neverwinter or even Blade / Soul?
    edited September 2022
    There is a tonne of content in Everquest 2 but you do not have to feel daunted by it simply because it is not all accessible all at once. As you level the world opens up. There is no need to worry about content you are not yet the level to handle.

The dungeons are truly a work of art. Every nook and cranny has a piece of art or curiosity that will have you going online to dig and discover the lore behind it. The lore is so vast and fun to discover and learn.

You will need to obtain the right mercenaries and unfortunately a subscription is required if you want to enjoy the game properly. You need a familiar too for the bonuses. The game is complex and will require some reading up but therein lies its charm in my opinion and the classes offer a lot of variety and fun as hell as evidenced by my numerous alts. Collections are addicting.
    Mendel
    Chamber of Chains
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited September 2022
    Looking into your reasoning about wanting to be able to chat with people while you play solo, you could always try Path of Exile. Plays pretty much like D2 just with A TON of class customization and you can chat with people while you mindlessly grind. The gear system can be a bit annoying if I'm honest since you'll eventually end up caring more about a gear's slots in the end over the actual 'teir' of the gear so it wont hinder your build. But if you can get over that, there's a lot of fun to be had in that game.

As for something like Lost Ark, there's fun to be had in it and honestly you wouldn't be grouping THAT much in it to progress your character, but after a while it starts to feel like a mobile game in the endgame (to me at least), where you'll have your specified tasks to do each day on a character then either explore or do those same tasks on an alt to funnel rewards into your main to progress faster.

BDO is also another option, which kind of has a similar advancement system to Lost Ark (both end up having terrible progression after a while imo), but you can do a lot of solo in that game and the combat can be engaging for a while.
    cheyane said:
    There is a tonne of content in Everquest 2 but you do not have to feel daunted by it simply because it is not all accessible all at once. As you level the world opens up. There is no need to worry about content you are not yet the level to handle.

The dungeons are truly a work of art. Every nook and cranny has a piece of art or curiosity that will have you going online to dig and discover the lore behind it. The lore is so vast and fun to discover and learn.

You will need to obtain the right mercenaries and unfortunately a subscription is required if you want to enjoy the game properly. You need a familiar too for the bonuses. The game is complex and will require some reading up but therein lies its charm in my opinion and the classes offer a lot of variety and fun as hell as evidenced by my numerous alts. Collections are addicting.

I was talking about the humongous, titanic weight of the lore btw. It is quite daunting. It does have creative classes, mercenaries etc. A bloody good, if ancient game. How are its zone stories etc?
    Dattelis said:
    Looking into your reasoning about wanting to be able to chat with people while you play solo, you could always try Path of Exile. Plays pretty much like D2 just with A TON of class customization and you can chat with people while you mindlessly grind. The gear system can be a bit annoying if I'm honest since you'll eventually end up caring more about a gear's slots in the end over the actual 'teir' of the gear so it wont hinder your build. But if you can get over that, there's a lot of fun to be had in that game.

As for something like Lost Ark, there's fun to be had in it and honestly you wouldn't be grouping THAT much in it to progress your character, but after a while it starts to feel like a mobile game in the endgame (to me at least), where you'll have your specified tasks to do each day on a character then either explore or do those same tasks on an alt to funnel rewards into your main to progress faster.

BDO is also another option, which kind of has a similar advancement system to Lost Ark (both end up having terrible progression after a while imo), but you can do a lot of solo in that game and the combat can be engaging for a while.

PoE? Oh god no. No mods, always online + hardcore, gear design I disagree with..I mean, it does have super cool lore and satisfying gameplay, but the gear + currency design is just ... irritation and frustration personified.

Is D2:R also always online?
    The zones do have stories behind them and doing the quests and discovering the bosses and the encounters are satisfying. You will need to join a guild for both help in getting some of the mercenaries that require you to sneak to Freeport or Qeynos to get. I managed to sneak and avoid being killed because of my class by a hair's breadth. The guild members will also have extra mercenaries they can give you because most people get them overseer missions you run. Those missions are fire and forget but they can give you good rewards.

Sneaking into Freeport as a Qeynosian was an adventure in itself and so, so satisfying when I soloed it.

The thing I enjoyed the most were the Heritage quests which are connected to Everquest 1. If you ever played Everquest 1 the names will ring a bell and it is a sweet trip down memory lane too. The stories are well written and epic. The dungeon in Feerrott and also the ones in Commonlands all have very interesting lore and enemies. The NPCs are a blast too when you actually bother to read the dialogue.

I feel if you want to chat that the general chat is there but if you join a good guild you will find some old veterans that are helpful and extremely chatty so you can tick off the social box too.
    Chamber of Chains
    Have you considered Dungeons and Dragons Online. They have some very nice dungeons and mechanics.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited September 2022
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:

I was talking about the humongous, titanic weight of the lore btw. It is quite daunting. It does have creative classes, mercenaries etc. A bloody good, if ancient game. How are its zone stories etc?
    Dattelis said:

PoE? Oh god no. No mods, always online + hardcore, gear design I disagree with..I mean, it does have super cool lore and satisfying gameplay, but the gear + currency design is just ... irritation and frustration personified.

D2R has offline

I totally forget that DCUO has a lot of solo content and a MASSIVE gear grind (so they can sell their boosts as alternative), but if you like playing alongside superhero/villain npcs then it can be some fun.
    You can also play City of Heroes on Homecoming servers. There is ample lore and the quests are excellent and the classes are massively fun and varied with different levels of solo ability. Some classes solo really well while others struggle until they are well tricked out with good enhancements.
    Chamber of Chains
    Dattelis said:
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:

Dattelis said:

D2R has offline

I totally forget that DCUO has a lot of solo content and a MASSIVE gear grind (so they can sell their boosts as alternative), but if you like playing alongside superhero/villain npcs then it can be some fun.

Any good D2R mods?
    edited October 2022
    I tried Neverwinter. Wow, talk about the next level of bad. While I might complain about some things in, say, ESO, that was ... oh lol.

It doesn't even look like D&D! Idk who they bribed or how they bribed it to get the IP(I suspect Russians are involved, how come they have their own server then?), but Craptic don't deserve ANY big IP, they deserve to go out of business! Not once did they produce anything AA, let alone above.

Jesus, I wasn't prepared for that! The only good thing? The naming system. Now, that should be used in more MMOs.

Ok then, time to try something else.
    edited October 2022
    sorry 
    Chamber of Chains
    edited October 2022
    cheyane said:
    sorry 

For what? For a bad time? /whatever. That game's been gutted. A lot of it has been shuffled around, remade, but without a sliver of care for broader context. Take Fighter. Would it really hurt if it got the "Thorns" on Block ability(Knight's challenge or whatever) @ 3? Now given that they basically REMOVED XP(...!), you have these mobs you are simply supposed to run away from?

...damn the entire game's horrible and feels like "MONEY MONEY MONEY!"(pay pseudo cash that can quickly become real cash for Transmog lol). Except the naming system, that rocks!

Imo, Craptic don't have a sliver of designer knowledge except with "predatory practices: how to".
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "Modern WoW could be a possibility, but I am not a big fan of Warcraft. It just feels like, excuse the term, pseudo Warhammer for children".

That did make me smile. :)

I have no solid ideas for you, so many of us are in the same boat. BDO's graphics might keep you in the game but the end game onwards is a cash pit. CoH is good but looks old, like I said no solid all-rounder choices.
    No I posted something but decided it would be better as a PM which I sent you.
    Chamber of Chains
    Scot said:
    "Modern WoW could be a possibility, but I am not a big fan of Warcraft. It just feels like, excuse the term, pseudo Warhammer for children".

I have no solid ideas for you, so many of us are in the same boat. BDO's graphics might keep you in the game but the end game onwards is a cash pit. CoH is good but looks old, like I said no solid all-rounder choices.

I'm glad it did. It is nice to know you have at least some positive impact on others. It is even more awesome to be acknowledged for that. Never mind.

Can you really disagree with my appraisal of Warcraft? Ok, Warhammer can be entirely too one note at times(this is a stereotype, but it happens, mostly with Dwarfs and Orcs imo), but it's better than Warcraft lol. Warcraft could use some more real threats ; it's been defanged entirely too much.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

I'm glad it did. It is nice to know you have at least some positive impact on others. It is even more awesome to be acknowledged for that. Never mind.

Can you really disagree with my appraisal of Warcraft? Ok, Warhammer can be entirely too one note at times(this is a stereotype, but it happens, mostly with Dwarfs and Orcs imo), but it's better than Warcraft lol. Warcraft could use some more real threats ; it's been defanged entirely too much.
    Both were based on preexisting games, there was more "lore" in WH because it was a military board game. The first fiction novels for WH were produced in `1999, so there is a lot more depth there. WC was a MMO based on a RTS game, they were creative, but it was more two dimensional than WH.

I hope you find a new MMO home, it is so hard to do so these days, if you have any success do tell us!
    edited October 2022
    DAoC has a new server in the works, Eden, that's trying new stuff to help retain folks.  Might be worth checking out if one enjoys group PvP.
    Scot
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

Both were based on preexisting games, there was more "lore" in WH because it was a military board game. The first fiction novels for WH were produced in `1999, so there is a lot more depth there. WC was a MMO based on a RTS game, they were creative, but it was more two dimensional than WH.

I hope you find a new MMO home, it is so hard to do so these days, if you have any success do tell us!

Not really a home, no, just a fun pastime. I really wanted Neverwinter to be it for some time, but it seems that Craptic is hellbent on destroying that game. Combat and Leveling Reworks were just a case of "smash a nail with a sledgehammer and destroy the wall in the process". I have nothing against CHALLENGE, but the way Craptic did it is ... well ... crap. I mean, no xp? Upscaling so you feel next to no power increase? Linear 1 way leveling for ALL characters? O_0 holy shit batman! That on top of needless combat changes which are there to facilitate purchases from Ca$h $hop. o-O Just wow!

I mean, it seems like it was a VERY FUN game, once. If only there was a private server that rolled back these mega crap changes.