Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preorders Open for The Lord of the Rings Online's Mini Expansion, Before the Shadow | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 11,024
edited September 22 in News & Features Discussion

imagePreorders Open for The Lord of the Rings Online's Mini Expansion, Before the Shadow | MMORPG.com

Before the Shadow, the upcoming mini-expansion for The Lord of the Rings Online, is now open for preorder. The content includes all new quests aimed at levels 1-32, with a Delving difficulty system to let higher levels increase difficulty, a new instance, new Skirmish, and two new regions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,230
    edited September 22
    Man, their milking the game with everything they got. This expansion is a stretch. lol
    RemaliKrisConway

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• worldsbestdadworldsbestdad Member RarePosts: 477
    "Fans can purchase three different versions, ranging from $19.99 to a high roller version for $99.99"

this is the sort of thing that disinterests me
    Viper482
  • SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I tried this game a couple of weeks ago and found it more of a running around and not getting much done simulator. Boring as can be combat, and even at the start of the game was trying to get me to pay for extras. quests and stuff that should be included in the base game.
    Viper482ZenislavNeblessDrius75
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,163
    edited September 22
    "Fans can purchase three different versions, ranging from $19.99 to a high roller version for $99.99"

Why? I think it's awesome. Folks on a budget can get all the gameplay content and the big spenders get some bonus goodies (most of which are already cash shop items). Would you rather they forgo revenue or increase the entry fee?

Also, looks like there's a discount if you are a VIP (subscriber).
    Sovrath
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 10,274
    Their trailers are not great.
    Viper482Drius75
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Value of subscriber for Sauron Soulless Games is...
    1 dollar 99 cents. Enjoy your "value", subscribers...

SSG just spits into faces of others. Now they name simple quest pack - as "mini expansion". Next time we get "maxi quest pack", "quest expansion", "expanded quests"...
    Instead of giving ALL content to VIPs for free - they milk every cent, even from VIPs.

If I was a subscriber, i would really considering cancelling and quitting to any other game.
    Remali
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 259
    As a lifer on LOTRO, and thousands of hours spent in game, I can categorically say, this doesn't warrant the label of 'mini expansion'!! Great for newcomers, but only 1 end game 6 man to come subsequent to the release of this starting area content? Ebbtide content and lack of end game SSG!!!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 3,820

Sarla said:

I tried this game a couple of weeks ago and found it more of a running around and not getting much done simulator. Boring as can be combat, and even at the start of the game was trying to get me to pay for extras. quests and stuff that should be included in the base game.

Game isn't for you then. Go find one of these Asian MMOs with a shallow story where you get to max level in a day and grind the same 4 dungeons over and over. More your style.

They give so much for free now, more than ever before. At least 100 hours of content. If you are still complaining you're a freeloader. Period.
    ZenislavFrodoFraginshupaDrius75Big.Daddy.Samedi
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • QbertqQbertq Member UncommonPosts: 289
    This is one of those games that I really wanted and really want to like. I love the IP. I've tried a couple of times during the years to try it and it always leaves me disappointed. I really wish there was a new one being made.
    meerclar
  • ZenislavZenislav Member RarePosts: 262
    We reworked new player experience what is the most basic and free thing even in f2p p2w asian mmos but this time we will charge money for it up to 100 euros as we know you monkeys will buy it.

Every day gaming sinks lower and lower.
    Viper482Big.Daddy.SamediKrisConway
  • DarkZorvanReturnsDarkZorvanReturns Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited September 22

Zenislav said:

We reworked new player experience what is the most basic and free thing even in f2p p2w asian mmos but this time we will charge money for it up to 100 euros as we know you monkeys will buy it.

That's the part that makes me laugh. A price tag on a starter zone. But Daybreak gotta milk as much money as they can since EG7 is going in the tank. SSG better hope they still have paychecks in a years time.
    KrisConway
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 3,021
    Viper482 said:
    Game isn't for you then. Go find one of these Asian MMOs with a shallow story where you get to max level in a day and grind the same 4 dungeons over and over. More your style.

They give so much for free now, more than ever before. At least 100 hours of content. If you are still complaining you're a freeloader. Period.

The game wasn't for anyone that expected a reasonable approximation of how f2p has improved in player experience over time. That they are finally crawling toward a state long since provided by many others isn't anything to be impressed about. They are simply playing a long overdue game of catch up, along with several other games with dated f2p models.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,719
    skeaser said:

Why? I think it's awesome. Folks on a budget can get all the gameplay content and the big spenders get some bonus goodies (most of which are already cash shop items). Would you rather they forgo revenue or increase the entry fee?

Also, looks like there's a discount if you are a VIP (subscriber).
    And if you really want to save money you can spend the 6 + months waiting for it to come to the ingame store grinding out free store points.  Then you can get it for free.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Instead of giving ALL content to VIPs for free - they milk every cent, even from VIPs.
    Well they did recently make all but the last expansion Gundabad part of the VIP package (along with making the F2p area from lvl 1 to 95).  So you almost got your wish.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member UncommonPosts: 490
    They should make a new LOTRO game IMO. The IP is top notch, although it has its limits with how much Tolkien has written. I haven't taken a look at this expansion thing, but from the comments, it seems like a scam. And having different types of packages you can buy is.... gaah. It works great for a game like Path of Exile which is free and you can decide how much you want to contribute with. But for a game that costs money, there should be one set price for an expansion...

But hey, I'm a conservative bastard.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,573
    Viper482 said:

Sarla said:

That's quite a strawman you've built. 

If you don't care about the lore, LOTRO is easily in the bottom end of major MMOs to level up in.
    DarkZorvanReturns
    1.  I haven't taken a look at this expansion thing, but from the comments, it seems like a scam.

2. And having different types of packages you can buy is.... gaah. It works great for a game like Path of Exile which is free and you can decide how much you want to contribute with. But for a game that costs money, there should be one set price for an expansion...

1.  It follows the path Boromir took to Rivendell so story-wise it's OK.  The 'scam' part as you call it is charging for it, but that's not a new thing for SSG and yes while it's not cool, offsetting how much they now give away of the game with something that costs money I guess is to be expected.

2. Well once it hits the ingame store than it's the one set price like you wish. 

As far as selling content in the online marketplace at different prices ...... no different than car shopping.  It's up to you to decide how many extra bells and whistles you want and it's how they've sold the expansions for quite a while, not a new thing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,731

Zenislav said:

That's the part that makes me laugh. A price tag on a starter zone. But Daybreak gotta milk as much money as they can since EG7 is going in the tank. SSG better hope they still have paychecks in a years time.
    But to play devil's advocate, if a game company were to release an expansion it would normally be for high level characters. Isn't that just a "late game zone." Heck, so many people never even get to high level stuff.

A zone is a zone. Not only that but this new zone can be played by high level characters with the the system they are implementing that allows for lower level zones to scale to higher level players.

So in the end "it's a zone."

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 607

Viper482 said:

The game wasn't for anyone that expected a reasonable approximation of how f2p has improved in player experience over time. That they are finally crawling toward a state long since provided by many others isn't anything to be impressed about. They are simply playing a long overdue game of catch up, along with several other games with dated f2p models.

Don't omit the fact that a lot of things that you're advertised to buy are not required. All you need is the Riding Skill and maybe some inventory slots, the rest can be ignored. I had to buy VIP for one month to unlock some benefits too, which are now free for everyone right from the start.

LOTRO has became really free since the 15th anniversary. There were two giveaways, first in 2020 gave away all content up to level 50, before the first expansion Mines of Moria, then the second giveaway in 2021 gave away all that, plus some more content, then in the 15th anniversary, all content up to level 95 became completely free.

That is a lot of content. I'm still on my first character at level 113 in Mordor, I started that character in February 2021, I've only bought the Expansion Trove for $60 and Minas Morgul and War of Three Peaks on Black Friday, one for like $10 and the other with excess LOTRO Points that I gathered by just playing the game.

Also buying stuff for free with LOTRO Points has been possible since 2011 I think, when LOTRO first switched to F2P. There have been people and guides on how one can grind the most LP in the least time and people who have acquired almost everything (that was possible for LP) without paying anything, just grinding, of course that took them a lot of time and probably killed their enthusiasm, but still means it's possible.

The game is not perfect, aside from the glaring issues with client performance and server lag, there is the issue that the game becomes tedious at certain points and after a certain level, the character progression becomes almost non-existent. There are a lot of redundant mechanics that are left from a long time ago and serve no purpose that also need to be modernized, but despite all that, LOTRO is one of the most free F2P games out there. I can't recall any other MMORPG that allows you to permanently unlock content for free by just playing the game.

If the issues in the game are fixed, the game can be one of the greatest MMORPGS - good story and world, really free, works well and is modernized.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 3,820
    All you freeloading haters can kiss my ass lol.
    skeaserZenislav
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,731

Don't omit the fact that a lot of things that you're advertised to buy are not required. All you need is the Riding Skill 
    Can't one still earn the riding skill in game? There's a quest for it. Have to run the horse around a track.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,163

Zenislav said:

I haven't seen a single f2p Asian MMO that is as close to actually being free as LOTRO.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Sovrath said:

Don't omit the fact that a lot of things that you're advertised to buy are not required. All you need is the Riding Skill 
    Can't one still earn the riding skill in game? There's a quest for it. Have to run the horse around a track.
    That's how you get it if you're a subscriber.  VIP's can also get that skill earlier than F2p buying the skill via the store.
    Sovrath

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 3,021

Viper482 said:

Don't omit the fact that a lot of things that you're advertised to buy are not required. All you need is the Riding Skill and maybe some inventory slots, the rest can be ignored. I had to buy VIP for one month to unlock some benefits too, which are now free for everyone right from the start.

LOTRO has became really free since the 15th anniversary. There were two giveaways, first in 2020 gave away all content up to level 50, before the first expansion Mines of Moria, then the second giveaway in 2021 gave away all that, plus some more content, then in the 15th anniversary, all content up to level 95 became completely free.

That is a lot of content. I'm still on my first character at level 113 in Mordor, I started that character in February 2021, I've only bought the Expansion Trove for $60 and Minas Morgul and War of Three Peaks on Black Friday, one for like $10 and the other with excess LOTRO Points that I gathered by just playing the game.

Also buying stuff for free with LOTRO Points has been possible since 2011 I think, when LOTRO first switched to F2P. There have been people and guides on how one can grind the most LP in the least time and people who have acquired almost everything (that was possible for LP) without paying anything, just grinding, of course that took them a lot of time and probably killed their enthusiasm, but still means it's possible.

The game is not perfect, aside from the glaring issues with client performance and server lag, there is the issue that the game becomes tedious at certain points and after a certain level, the character progression becomes almost non-existent. There are a lot of redundant mechanics that are left from a long time ago and serve no purpose that also need to be modernized, but despite all that, LOTRO is one of the most free F2P games out there. I can't recall any other MMORPG that allows you to permanently unlock content for free by just playing the game.

If the issues in the game are fixed, the game can be one of the greatest MMORPGS - good story and world, really free, works well and is modernized.

Yeah, they've made changes... in 2020 and 2021... that brought them closer to a degree of f2p access other games moved to long ago. Playing catch up, as I said. Yay for it finally crawling toward par, I suppose, but it's a bit long in the happening to merit a gold star.

It's only with those recent changes that LoTRO is anywhere close to being a decent f2p experience. Before that it was pathetic in that regard.

So no, it's not one of the most free F2P games available, even now. They are at best nipping at the heels of their betters. That is at least more than could be said before.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 607

Viper482 said:

Yeah, they've made changes... in 2020 and 2021... that brought them closer to a degree of f2p access other games moved to long ago. Playing catch up, as I said. Yay for it finally crawling toward par, I suppose, but it's a bit long in the happening to merit a gold star.

It's only with those recent changes that LoTRO is anywhere close to being a decent f2p experience. Before that it was pathetic in that regard.

So no, it's not one of the most free F2P games available, even now. They are at best nipping at the heels of their betters. That is at least more than could be said before.

That's BS.

You keep repeating the same thing like a broken record. Can you name at least 3 MMORPGs that have the freedom of LOTRO and also have the quality story and world LOTRO has?

LOTRO is still the only game that despite its technical issues has AAA quality and so much freedom.