Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PAX West 2022: System Shock's Remake Is A Faithful, Modern Take On An Industry Classic | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imagePAX West 2022: System Shock's Remake Is A Faithful, Modern Take On An Industry Classic | MMORPG.com

For many older gamers out there, System Shock adorns the shelf with some of our most hallowed gaming experiences. The immersive sim genre saw its inception with this title, and the team at Nightdive are aiming to bring it to a new audience, with some modern quality of life touches.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

I understand they only have about 15 devs working on the game and covid set some things back, but they were originally shooting for a 2020 release. Here we are nearing the end of 2022 with no mention of a release date. I don't understand why companies feel the need to announce projects like this and hype everyone up so early, so all the hype can die off while it takes them half a decade to push it out. 2024 will come around, the game will finally release and I'll think to myself "oh yeah, I forgot they were making this."

This was a project that was funded through kickstarter, and like most they fell short on the math for funding. Prior to covid they had to work on other projects to be able to fund the system shock remake.
    Sovrath
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    I'm excited for this, but agree maybe rewarding the patience of Kickstarter backers would be a pro-gamer move.

At least they aren't continuing to take in funding front gamers based on continued promises, iirc.
    [Deleted User]
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    Goosebumps, head to toe :)
    Sovrath
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Faithful update?
    That would be quite refreshing!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Faithful update?
    That would be quite refreshing!
    The demo shows a lot of promise.  I feel myself creeping through the station corridors listening for threats just like I do in the originals.

Except everything looks so, so much better.
    Slapshot1188
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,122
    Very excited for this. The original is one of my favorite all time games. Granted that's because I played it when it was brand new. It'd look like garbage by today's standards. Yet here we are with a faithful remake? Can't wait!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Looking good. One of my all-time favorites. If any game deserves updating with today's tech, it's this one.
    TheDalaiBombaSovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I'm excited for this, but agree maybe rewarding the patience of Kickstarter backers would be a pro-gamer move.

At least they aren't continuing to take in funding front gamers based on continued promises, iirc.

I'm actually one of the backers and a while back I was disappointed to learn that funding had run low. Having said that, it seems they are back on track now so I have reasonably positive hopes that they'll finish.
    TheDalaiBomba
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    But does it support ultrawide?

I guess nowadays modders will fix it if it doesn't, but when I first playtested the demo on the previous engine, it was Vert- and suffered on widescreen displays, especially ultrawide+.

Anyway, wonder if I should finish my SS2 playthrough or wait until this remake is released then go through SS2's story.
    Iselin said:
    Looking good. One of my all-time favorites. If any game deserves updating with today's tech, it's this one.
    Then do System Shock 2!
    Iselin