Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embers Adrift Community Planning Welcome for New Players in This Weekend's Worldbreaker Stress Test

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageEmbers Adrift Community Planning Welcome for New Players in This Weekend's Worldbreaker Stress Test | MMORPG.com

With Embers Adrift on the verge of opening up the servers for another huge Worldbreaker stress test soon, the community just may turn it into a little bit of a welcome party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Looks solid going to give it a shot this weekend, looks like the game needs some caster classes though.
    Tokken

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So more than just a stress test after all? It's good they're embracing the promotional aspect which they probably need even more than stress testing.
    KyleranUngood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    edited August 2022
    They did something for the last Worldbreaker too, though less elaborate such that I don't even recall what it was. I got a title for my presence anyway. Elloa wants to bump that up this time around.

She is about a fair bit on the weekend, not just to talk with the community in chat, but to also actually play. She groups with players regularly. I've seen her toiling away at crafting stations. She feels very much one of us through that, to me anyway.

I encountered her when I was well and truly lost one time, and she was quick to offer help. I didn't take her up on it, but it was quite nice to have that quickly and eagerly offered. As the community manager she goes all out in here role, and then some. They are lucky to have her.
    TheDalaiBombaUngoodbcbully
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Makes me think of Asheron's Call and it's beta. Loved how that one they meteored the towns towards the end.

It's good to have devs who participate in the game experience as much as they produce it.
    Uwakionna said:
    Makes me think of Asheron's Call and it's beta. Loved how that one they meteored the towns towards the end.

It's good to have devs who participate in the game experience as much as they produce it.
    Dev participation in AC continued when it was live. They did thing like controlled Shadow invasions hands on for quite a while. I liked those good old days in AC too.
    UwakionnaUngood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Uwakionna said:

Dev participation in AC continued when it was live. They did thing like controlled Shadow invasions hands on for quite a while. I liked those good old days in AC too.
    Used to play on Thistledown myself, loved the shard event.
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    edited August 2022
    Disregard !
    Post edited by Greatness on

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    edited August 2022
    They did something for the last Worldbreaker too, though less elaborate such that I don't even recall what it was.
    The last worldbreaker event, they said they were not prepared for anything special, so they summoned a few waves a regular mobs and also a rare boss on the spot, which our group got the kill and I won the rare helm from that.

Overall though it was a pretty weak event, people walked around the lake in a line with torches.  It was pretty embarrassing.  They will likely do more this time.  My impression was they realized they screwed up not having something preplanned.  So I expect something a little more elaborate then last time.
    KyleranUngoodbcbully
    Brainy said:
    They did something for the last Worldbreaker too, though less elaborate such that I don't even recall what it was.
    The last worldbreaker event, they said they were not prepared for anything special, so they summoned a few waves a regular mobs and also a rare boss on the spot, which our group got the kill and I won the rare helm from that.

Overall though it was a pretty weak event, people walked around the lake in a line with torches.  It was pretty embarrassing.  They will likely do more this time.  My impression was they realized they screwed up not having something preplanned.  So I expect something a little more elaborate then last time.

Oh well, at least you got a helm out of it.

The intent was more elaborate. I didn't bother with either so I have no idea if there was much in the way of improvement,

The most notable thing was the addition of some quest givers. They also replaced the placeholder shops and training stations with NPCs, some with dialogue that may hint at quests to be encountered later.
    Ungood
    Well this new event surprised me, I predicted they would do more this time, but evidently I was wrong and they choose to do little to nothing.

It could be because only 100 people showed up this time.  Don't think that's a good strategy to promote a big event then do nothing for those that show up.  Even if its a small number you should still respect those people that took time out of there day to show up.
    KyleranUngood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2022
    Probably not a very good look when you open your game up to a wider audience and find out no one is interested.

There's niche....and then there's really niche, meaning the unprofitable kind.

Considering where they are and what people are saying, "releasing" by years end seems to be a pathway to failure, but likely they just don't have the funds to carry on any further.

Burndown rates are real.

TheDalaiBombaUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Damn! Where is that humongous silent majority that wants slow, must group MMOs so they can socialize like the good old days?

:)
    Ungood

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2022
    Iselin said:
    Damn! Where is that humongous silent majority that wants slow, must group MMOs so they can socialize like the good old days?

Waiting for a released, AAA game before committing apparently. ;)

Well, at least Valheim level quality which Embers is no where near from what I've read.

Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

Well, at least Valheim level quality which Embers is no where near from what I've read.

Grouping as a stand-in for social gameplay is so 1999.
    KyleranIselin
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited August 2022
    I forgot to check yesterday but I checked the game out today.

It very much has Everquest vibes. However there's no real magic and that was kind of disappointing but I tried out a support class. I had this skill called first aid and while it had EQ vibes the downtime was nowhere EQ levels so it was much faster.

The game is not optimized of course so my card temp went up to 80 degrees C so I turned a lot of the stuff I turned up down to get it to 73 degrees C. It looked kind of awful when I did that. I have a 1070 GTX.

I did not suffer from any lag or anything but that was probably because there weren't that many people about.

The game I think has two bags one that invisible because I could not open it that keeps your harvested stuff and it can be seen in the crafting station so the inventory does not collect your harvested stuff but it keeps the things you craft in the inventory and that was filling up alarmingly fast.

I got to harvesting level 6 and level 3 in my class. So I haven't really explored much.

Things wear down and you can repair it. I expect the repair costs may get a  lot higher once you get really nice stuff. The combat is boring but I had only two abilities.

Cannot really say I liked the game all that much but I am very low level right now. The game world looks bland so far.
    Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
    I don't think the goal and desired design is bad, and developing content that caters to group play is not a bad goal in my book.

But I do think Embers Adrift made a bit of a core mistake in their approach. They approached combat as a group action by making tough creatures that end up being spongy to try and solo. The solution offered, hit the mobs with more people.

It's group play through zerg mentality, which is unfortunately shallow and is an easy way to turn many people off from gameplay.

While it's harder to design, group play that much more directly relies on players adopting varying roles and toolkits, even if not as a literal class, ends up being a more reliable way to prompt more cooperative play.

Compare it to an old, and probably more laboriously slow game, Wurm, and I'd say Wurm surprisingly stacks up better.

Wurm forces cooperative elements through specialization in skills and different life paths that people choose in order to gain specific focuses in proficiency at the cost to other skills. This forces roles and the need to interact with other players to achieve a variety of goals both for combat and beyond for the crafting, town building, etc.

Comparing that back to Embers, and I'd say Embers has made the mistake of creating a too shallow take on what makes for engaging group and community content. Their ambitions are not bad, but they do need to work on the mechanics they want to drive it.
    TheDalaiBomba
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

And who's working on that slow. must group, AAA MMO? Did I miss an announcement?
    KyleranUngood

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I dont think forced grouping is gonna work well for an indie mmo
    For grouping to work you need to have ppl around your lvl with the same goals and the same time commitment as you
    For that you need a big population for the game and indie games just dont have as many ppl as AAA games
    How many ppl are planning to play this game or have even heard of it?
    KyleranUngood
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited August 2022
    The game does not have a lot to offer and is kinda dull. For instance in Everquest when you started as a Necromancer finding your guildmaster to hand that note can be an epic quest in itself in Qeynos what with the possibility of drowning and navigating the labyrinth without getting killed.

Aside from the graphics in its favour the game is quite lacklustre if you compare it to Everquest. I am sure people will indeed be comparing it to EQ and find it coming up short.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    cheyane said:
    The game does not have a lot to offer and is kinda dull. 
    Aside from the graphics in its favour the game is quite lacklustre if you compare it to Everquest. I am sure people will indeed be comparing it to EQ and find it coming up short.
    That's what you get when you have a tiny team of people developing such complex game as MMORPG. Despite some simple-minded people constantly droning about "we should support indie developers!!!1111oneoneoneeleven", the truth is vast majority of them are too incompetent or overconfident about their abilities/finances (or both) and the best they can produce is a very mediocre, inferior clone of existing games.

Of course, there will be few people who will actually like whatever this game can provide now, but it's highly unlikely that the game will be profitable enough to keep it running and frequently updated for many years to come.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I forgot it was this weekend :(

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Remali said:
    I dont think forced grouping is gonna work well for an indie mmo
    For grouping to work you need to have ppl around your lvl with the same goals and the same time commitment as you
    For that you need a big population for the game and indie games just dont have as many ppl as AAA games
    How many ppl are planning to play this game or have even heard of it?

If a normal server can hold 2k people, then 1 server of 2k people or 200 servers of 2k people is the same number of people per server.

The problem is if you can only get 100 people or less to play the game, then the studio will likely close down, and the point of enough players to solo vs group in that case is MOOT.

I am pretty sure this game said they needs around 10k players.  That's plenty of people to have a full server with grouping.

It really only matters if these companies can make a game that appeals to enough players that they can stay in business.
    cheyane said:
    I forgot to check yesterday but I checked the game out today.

It very much has Everquest vibes. However there's no real magic and that was kind of disappointing but I tried out a support class. I had this skill called first aid and while it had EQ vibes the downtime was nowhere EQ levels so it was much faster.

The game is not optimized of course so my card temp went up to 80 degrees C so I turned a lot of the stuff I turned up down to get it to 73 degrees C. It looked kind of awful when I did that. I have a 1070 GTX.

I did not suffer from any lag or anything but that was probably because there weren't that many people about.

The game I think has two bags one that invisible because I could not open it that keeps your harvested stuff and it can be seen in the crafting station so the inventory does not collect your harvested stuff but it keeps the things you craft in the inventory and that was filling up alarmingly fast.

I got to harvesting level 6 and level 3 in my class. So I haven't really explored much.

Things wear down and you can repair it. I expect the repair costs may get a  lot higher once you get really nice stuff. The combat is boring but I had only two abilities.

Cannot really say I liked the game all that much but I am very low level right now. The game world looks bland so far.

Some form of magic will be coming with alchemy, but I don't know the details or nature of it. I doubt it will be actual spells, so I'm guessing more in line with enchantment, consumables, or both.

It's not an aesthetic wonderland, that's for sure.

I seemed to have a bit of delay on Saturday that I don't normally get. I haven't played at all yet today. Perhaps there were less participants then yesterday.

It does have two inventories now. That hidden is where collected materials are stored when harvesting. That used to go to the main bag instead making that space even more cramped than it now is.

You eventually have 4 base class abilities that all characters of that class get. If I recall correctly specialization comes at level 6, and then you pick one of three specializations each with different skills. You get your first skill for that line then. Over time you learn 10 specialization skills, for a total of 14 skills overall. That is far more than you can slot at a time, which is currently limited to 8, so  you  have to make decisions is to which of those to have available. Swapping out an ability on your bar takes 30 seconds, so it is best to prepare in advance if you know what is best suited to the task ahead.
    They did something for the last Worldbreaker too, though less elaborate such that I don't even recall what it was. I got a title for my presence anyway. Elloa wants to bump that up this time around.

She is about a fair bit on the weekend, not just to talk with the community in chat, but to also actually play. She groups with players regularly. I've seen her toiling away at crafting stations. She feels very much one of us through that, to me anyway.

I encountered her when I was well and truly lost one time, and she was quick to offer help. I didn't take her up on it, but it was quite nice to have that quickly and eagerly offered. As the community manager she goes all out in here role, and then some. They are lucky to have her.
    Elloa is the reason noone wants to touch the game. Not because of Elloa herself, she's a sweetheart, but even her stream numbers go down when she does her Embers streams. Everyone has watched her playing and seen the totally bland garbage these idiots call a game. I feel bad for her even more because anyone looking for an EA stream gets hers, because she's the only one around to stream it, and they think it's representative of her usual streams, which it's not. Worst thing she ever did was agreeing to be these schmucks CM. I don't know if it's just because she's friends with one of them, or she just jumped at a CM job out fo excitement ( YAY! GAMING INDUSTRY JOB! ) without looking at the product she'd be trying to help sell first. She should be getting a marketing fee, because she's their entire marketing team as well as their CM, and I highly doubt she's paid much, if anything, for any of it..

Several people touch the game on a regular basis. Numerous people tried the game out on Saturday, but I wasn't there yet today to see how things went.

Apparently her favourite MMORPG is FFXIV. If she streams that it's no wonder her audience picks up for it. It is a popular game with many players she can draw an audience from.

As to why she chose to be CM for Embers Adrift, you'd have to ask her. If she aspires to work in the gaming industry in that capacity it would be a golden opportunity to get directly related experience that she could easily transplant to a more promising project should an opportunity arise. I certainly wouldn't let it pass by if I was in her position and that was my long-term goal.