Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XI Plans Fun in the Sun in August, Producer Matsui Discusses Classic Servers and Longe

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageFinal Fantasy XI Plans Fun in the Sun in August, Producer Matsui Discusses Classic Servers and Longevity | MMORPG.com

August will get a super-sized version of Fun in the Sun, as Final Fantasy XI opens a number of campaigns to earn rewards and unlock new goodies throughout the month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    That is the unfortunately reality of this title now. The current team is already limited as is and honestly, a ffxi classic can't be monetized like say wow classic can be. From what I remember, they never offered special in-game rewards or anything like that until I think Wings with that cape, and the game doesn't have a boosting system, like Blizzard eventually added to TBCC and now WotLKC. Financially, it just wouldn't be viable long term unless they made an subscription entirely based around it but even that isn't a guarantee.
  • LamiaCritterLamiaCritter Member UncommonPosts: 85
    God, I don't think I'll ever honestly understand the appeal of a classic server.

Because oh boy... the idea of a completely stagnated server with years of content being intentionally kept out while the server is timelocked/petrified with no change is....

Fun? Apparently?
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    God, I don't think I'll ever honestly understand the appeal of a classic server.

Because oh boy... the idea of a completely stagnated server with years of content being intentionally kept out while the server is timelocked/petrified with no change is....

Fun? Apparently?

I would say 11 would be a bit different, given how that game handles gearing compared to more modern games (or games that came after wow) since there were many items (in the level 75 era of the game at least) that ended up being relevant most of the time. I guess one could argue that the game handled a gearing system like that by having a truly abysmal drop rate. When my brother used to play this game nearly 15 years ago, he shed genuine tears when he got something called a 'Red Mage Hat' from some kind of content that he said he was trying for over a year to get. To each their own if they want to return to something like that I suppose.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    So ff11 producer basically just said 'you think you do but you don't' even after the monumental success of classic wow showing that it can be a huge success?
    Warzod
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Celcius said:

So ff11 producer basically just said 'you think you do but you don't' even after the monumental success of classic wow showing that it can be a huge success?

I think the Producer's take on this is more, "You think you do but I don't." Which is really what anti-classic server posters have in common. They can't speak for anyone else. I personally would love a classic FF11 server over current 11 or 14. I would also sub to it. Just because one person doesn't care for a playstyle does not give others license to tell them they are wrong, though they will try. However, it is unfortunately well within the power of the Producer to make the call regardless so some of us will just have to dream.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited July 2022

Fun? Apparently?

eh nothing different than wow classic > tbc > woltk

hell ffxi classic could release a 50 cap , then release rise of zilart , with the new jobs , then cOP , then TOAU and finally wotg ...

a server like that could last 4-5 years while keeping things "fresh"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

Warzod said:

Celcius said:

I think the Producer's take on this is more, "You think you do but I don't." Which is really what anti-classic server posters have in common. They can't speak for anyone else. I personally would love a classic FF11 server over current 11 or 14. I would also sub to it. Just because one person doesn't care for a playstyle does not give others license to tell them they are wrong, though they will try. However, it is unfortunately well within the power of the Producer to make the call regardless so some of us will just have to dream.

I think what the producer is saying is that WoW has changed a lot more than FFXIV, I know WoW has changed a lot you guys can speak for FF.

But classic has not only been on WoW and that's where his reasoning may fall down.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Fun? Apparently?

If there are no rogue/private servers for an older version, an official classic server may appeal to many. For me if there is an ESO classic server that has the game frozen in the state it was in 2014 with all the rules and difficulty, I would love it.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    ooo classic servers? Yes please! I'd come back to FFXI if they did this!

imageimage

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2022
    Celcius said:
    WoW was also hugely more popular than FF XI back when they were released. If they released FF XI classic now, they could expect to have maybe similar success as Everquest classic.
    Scot