Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Will See Increased Server Capacity Thanks to Successful Trials on the 3.17.2 Public Tes

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageStar Citizen Will See Increased Server Capacity Thanks to Successful Trials on the 3.17.2 Public Tests | MMORPG.com

After opening up its Public Testing Universe to all backers, Star Citizen will explore increased capacity after testing this went so well.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    The ''game'' still runs really bed, even on a high end system like i have. Hope they will start optimizing it soon..
    KyleranScotHatefull
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Wargfoot said:
    I'm a little confused as I thought this was a MMORPG.

Many games can be fun with 120 players per server but for some reason I thought the server capacities were much higher than that.
    My understanding is the game will be heavily phased/instanced based on player traffic.
    Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Wargfoot said:

Many games can be fun with 120 players per server but for some reason I thought the server capacities were much higher than that.

My understanding is the game will be heavily phased/instanced based on player traffic.

Multiplayer, not Massively Multiplayer.
    SovrathKyleranAndemnon
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Given the grandiose numbers of players possible on just one ship, it is real important for CIG to get the server capacity numbers up.  

And really, if they can get it to run stable at 125, that's a pretty reasonable setup.

KyleranHatefull

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited July 2022
    The $1 Billion goal is 200 players
    McSleazKyleranTheocritusSovrathangerbeaverPurplePepeAndemnonGiarclenScotMensurand 3 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Deathkon1 said:

I read that 125 server capacity thing and was like um even runescape can handle more then that on just 1 server hopefully when this game finishes the actual server capacity limit doesn't end up being its bottleneck
    It's my understanding this is not a mmorpg. That it's like Wing Commander or some such thing.
    KyleranHatefull
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Multi-player Freelancer servers handle up to 64 players each.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Wargfoot said:
    @Wargfoot So the problem is they don't have a couple of technologies they've been building since 2016, basically it's about object permanence. Basically if you left, say a pair of sunglasses, on a base on one of the moons. You forget and when you log in tomorrow you are on a different server, that pair of sunglasses are gone. The technology they are building out would allow for that single pair of sunglasses to always be there, no matter what server you connect to. This in itself, once optimal, will make it feel you are always on the same server. I'm not sure if they have it already but they may have to also allow cross-server play so that you can play with friends without making sure you are logged into the same server. (This may be already done, and I just don't know.)

Eventually they want NPCs to be the bulk of the universe, going about the same things we are and eventually again they'll act like us so that you'll never know if the person selling ore next to you is a real player or npc. It's a very ambitious project... one that in 2028 or so I think they could pull it off.
    Thanks, although conceptually I've an issue with that approach.

If there is an asset on the server (and hence, every server) and I destroy that asset will it disappear from every server?  If so, what if the person protecting the asset is on a different server, and therefore, is unable to protect it on my server - where I can destroy it without opposition.

This is a PVP title - don't have my mind around that loophole yet.

Too busy trying to make something happen to bother why something should happen in the first place.  (Read: implementing a solution without considering the ramifications).  (Also read: coding before thinking).

I see the 'existence on multi-servers' as a potential item duplication issue.  One pair of sunglasses on 15 servers and 15 different people try to pick up the sunglasses.  Major conception issue.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You are all so anti-SC. I will rather wait for Babu to hear an unbiased opinion.

Time for a classic 

SandmanjwircaddictsMendelHatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2022
    Tiller said:

Wargfoot said:

Multiplayer, not Massively Multiplayer.

Many MMOs like GW2, ESO and such, are heavily instanced and with loading screens in the middle, with player caps like 150 per instance on the case of GW2.

So let's not argue the "massively multiplayer" bit because those are clearly considered MMOs, not just Multiplayer games.

SC plans is the server mesh, meaning an instance of the mesh is multiple servers simulating the game-world, it's like multiple MMOs around only  without loading screens between areas simulated by a different one. Attm it still multiple different instances of the same game-world.

With them doing that, it has as much right of the MMO tag as GW2 and ESO do.
    ircaddictsHatefull
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    No wonder their playerbase is so elitist...There are only 125 of them......
    SovrathmeerclarSandmanjwircaddictsKyleranHatefull
    edited July 2022
    Wargfoot said:

If there is an asset on the server (and hence, every server) and I destroy that asset will it disappear from every server?  If so, what if the person protecting the asset is on a different server, and therefore, is unable to protect it on my server - where I can destroy it without opposition.

The objects should not be shared across server mesh instances of the game-world. Neither on the next update when PES (the world persistence tech that alows this) from instance to instance.

To answer to capacity, the game will have to run multiple copies of a server mesh, each has its own game-world state for items dropped in the open-world.

@CondarFreed must be confused about this bit, it's just not possible to have global persistence across all instances that are simultaneously running, due to gigantic obvious conflicts like the scenario @Wargfoot mentioned and many others.

This may be confused with this bit said by the devs:

If I make a base on a moon, will my base be reflected on the other shards that I am not on?

The Planet Tech team plans to implement base building with server shards in mind. Claiming land for your base will claim this land on all shards, and we plan to replicate your base to all shards.

However, only one shard will have an ‘active’ version of the base, with other shards spawning a ‘limited access/read only’ version of that same base. For example, a base will give full access and the ability to expand in the shard the owner currently plays on, while on all other shards, this base may spawn with locked doors in an immutable state. The full design is not 100% established yet and may change though.

Which means in a nutshell, base-building will replicate to all copies of the server-mesh. Which is viable on their side because they can land claims a global separate service that all instances rely on.

The bit that evidences the game-world state is per server mesh instance, what they label as shard here talking on not locking players to a shard and using match-making parameters to assign the best shard to the player:

The new matchmaking system currently in development alongside Server Meshing allows us to match players to shards based on multiple input parameters. Those are used to match players into shards with their friends, or where they left most of their items in the open world. However, it also allows us to use more advanced parameters, such as reputation and other hidden player stats that we track.

Hatefull
  • SophusVir33SophusVir33 Member UncommonPosts: 60

MaxBacon said:

Wargfoot said:

The objects should not be shared across server mesh instances of the game-world. Neither on the next update when PES (the world persistence tech that alows this) from instance to instance.

To answer to capacity, the game will have to run multiple copies of a server mesh, each has its own game-world save and state.

@CondarFreed must be confused about this bit, it's just not possible to have global persistence across all instances that are simultaneously running, due to gigantic obvious conflicts like the scenario @Wargfoot mentioned and many others.

This may be confused with this bit said by the devs:

If I make a base on a moon, will my base be reflected on the other shards that I am not on?

The Planet Tech team plans to implement base building with server shards in mind. Claiming land for your base will claim this land on all shards, and we plan to replicate your base to all shards.

However, only one shard will have an ‘active’ version of the base, with other shards spawning a ‘limited access/read only’ version of that same base. For example, a base will give full access and the ability to expand in the shard the owner currently plays on, while on all other shards, this base may spawn with locked doors in an immutable state. The full design is not 100% established yet and may change though.

Which means in a nutshell, base-building will replicate to all copies of the server-mesh. Which is viable on their side because they can land claims a global separate service that all instances rely on.

The bit that evidences the game-world state is per server mesh instance, what they label as shard here:

The new matchmaking system currently in development alongside Server Meshing allows us to match players to shards based on multiple input parameters. Those are used to match players into shards with their friends, or where they left most of their items in the open world. However, it also allows us to use more advanced parameters, such as reputation and other hidden player stats that we track.

Pretty sure the intent is at some point these servers are all combined into one big mega server with dynamic meshing that allows the system to slice up any location to fit on as many servers as are needed to fit the population of players and items in that area to maintain performance. Currently having multiples of the servers like EU/US/AUS etc is simply done due to the current tech limits.
    edited July 2022
    Pretty sure the intent is at some point these servers are all combined into one big mega server with dynamic meshing that allows the system to slice up any location to fit on as many servers as are needed to fit the population of players and items in that area to maintain performance. Currently having multiples of the servers like EU/US/AUS etc is simply done due to the current tech limits.
    Yes but our current technology implies that independently of where the game is hosted to have a single global server mesh, it will be a nightmare to all the areas of the world that'll see horrible pings, and that is too disruptive for a game like this.

The latency alone will destroy that plan, so the server mesh per region is clearly the viable plan here.

And as everything but the items dropped around on the game-world is persisting globally, it's minimally disruptive, a ship landed and the location of your player is the the unknown to me is if this will persist or will continue to respawn you on the nearest station you were last, this seems to be a foggy area with the ship beds design and all.
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    @Wargfoot So the problem is they don't have a couple of technologies they've been building since 2016, basically it's about object permanence. Basically if you left, say a pair of sunglasses, on a base on one of the moons. You forget and when you log in tomorrow you are on a different server, that pair of sunglasses are gone. The technology they are building out would allow for that single pair of sunglasses to always be there, no matter what server you connect to. This in itself, once optimal, will make it feel you are always on the same server. I'm not sure if they have it already but they may have to also allow cross-server play so that you can play with friends without making sure you are logged into the same server. (This may be already done, and I just don't know.)
    So Fallout 76 tech.
    Coo.
    edited July 2022
    Uwakionna said:
    So Fallout 76 tech.
    Coo.
    I wouldn't call what Fallout has any actual persistence tech, when as far I recall bases are pre-set spots, match-making just loads you on a free spot for your stuff on that game-world copy.

When it comes to dropping items on the game-world, say a box full of ammo hidden on a cave, that's not covered by any base or claim, that is what full persistence on SC is about, that is technically crazy for an MMO to attempt doing.

But as mentioned that is not what SC is doing, as far the items dropped on the game-world that state is per server mesh instance, things like bases on claimed land and everything else, is global.
    It's persistence of objects relative to users. Layout of placed bases is not particularly different mechanically from remembering where you left your sunglasses or an ammo box.

It's memory for placed/dropped objects tied to account or instance, and bases on global is just another step to that.

Object permanence isn't complicated, the trouble largely comes up for how much memory you consume for it, speed related to how large of a list of assets you are trying to access, and accounting for the network layer streaming new user related content to the environment.

Biggest speed bump would likely be the memory issue, which can and has been solved a few ways with octrees to nest smaller batches of saved lists.

Still not particularly different from what 76 does there.
    Hatefull
    edited July 2022
    Uwakionna said:
    It's persistence of objects relative to users. Layout of placed bases is not particularly different mechanically from remembering where you left your sunglasses or an ammo box.

It's memory for placed/dropped objects tied to account or instance, and bases on global is just another step to that.

Object permanence isn't complicated, the trouble largely comes up for how much memory you consume for it, speed related to how large of a list of assets you are trying to access, and accounting for the network layer streaming new user related content to the environment.

Biggest speed bump would likely be the memory issue, which can and has been solved a few ways with octrees to nest smaller batches of saved lists.

As far I recall you drop items or even place them in containers on the world,  what people use for trading between different characters, and they WILL despawn after generally 20-30min I think. That is no world persistence. 

Obviously as any game of the type what is on the bases persists, but as far changes enacted upon the open world that is a completely different story.

Permanence itself isn't complicated, the problem comes with all the nuances, especially the griefing and exploitation, a game like SC isn't the traditional MMO where you just walk through things without collisions or that use simple collision animations, people can grab a ton of boxes and vending machines and block entire entrances to places, messing it all up (that already happened with medical beds thrown at stairwells for example).

The same way people just cause why not filled their ship with hundreds of dead bodies and unloaded them while flying by a city while players wtf'd a raining dead bodies.

It's a massive complication of nuances that go beyond the obvious added server costs of having to track/load entities as simple as a coffee cup or a box that was left on a forest.

I would also say that permanence like F76 does it would be a nightmare for SC, because of how you could leave things anywhere, if things load out with the player and load back in, the probabilities of conflicts on things that will exist on the same coordinates, big mess waiting to happen, and it ain't just small objects at that, especially when everything is physicalized on SC.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    MaxBacon said:
    Uwakionna said:

As far I recall you drop items or even place them in containers on the world,  what people use for trading between different characters, and they WILL despawn after generally 20-30min I think. That is no world persistence. 

Obviously as any game of the type what is on the bases persists, but as far changes enacted upon the open world that is a completely different story.

Permanence itself isn't complicated, the problem comes with all the nuances, especially the griefing and exploitation, a game like SC isn't the traditional MMO where you just walk through things without collisions or that use simple collision animations, people can grab a ton of boxes and vending machines and block entire entrances to places, messing it all up (that already happened with medical beds thrown at stairwells for example).

The same way people just cause why not filled their ship with hundreds of dead bodies and unloaded them while flying by a city while players wtf'd a raining dead bodies.

It's a massive complication of nuances that go beyond the obvious added server costs of having to track/load entities as simple as a coffee cup or a box that was left on a forest.

I would also say that permanence like F76 does it would be a nightmare for SC, because of how you could leave things anywhere, if things load out with the player and load back in, the probabilities of conflicts on things that will exist on the same coordinates, big mess waiting to happen, and it ain't just small objects at that, especially when everything is physicalized on SC.
    Lineage 1 had persistence in their game world.

You could drop an object, log off and unless the server got reset, it would still be there 3 days later unless picked up by someone.

Every town had message boards which retained the message for days or weeks, and their were scrolls you could buy, write a message on it and drop it on the ground.

Those would also stay for weeks.  In fact, I got both of my accounts perma banned because I seeded almost every town with messages on the boards and ground inviting people to come join me over at DAOC.

I expected it, back then even mentioning the name of another game in world chat would get you chat banned for hours if not days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited July 2022
    76 solves it with lobby-izing how you join game worlds. You're not presented with a server list, but it's there and simplifies the trial of avoiding incompatible cases. Seems to lean towards what their goal was originally in  trying to leverage the megaserver tech from ESO so they could do shared server processing and phase clients between. If they had implemented that, I imagine the problem would have shifted to having to synchronize phasing across clients.

Curious if SC has solid plans in how that element will extend play versus enable griefing. There's a reason mmos with hard-bodied characters have traditionally implemented some option that let's a player move through other players or certain objects to prevent abuse.

Even the devs of New World were still smart enough to solve that problem.
  • AndemnonAndemnon Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Gosh, at this rate, people will be able to fly the really big ships and have enough server capacity to actually have a crew for it! ;) 
    KyleranScotircaddictsTiller
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Eventually they want NPCs to be the bulk of the universe, going about the same things we are and eventually again they'll act like us so that you'll never know if the person selling ore next to you is a real player or npc. It's a very ambitious project... one that in 2028 or so I think they could pull it off.
    To be honest with you seeing the same players each log in is more important than finding a pair of shades I left behind.

I find your last point subversive to what MMORPG's are meant to be about and catering to solo, once again because that is the only direction MMOs go in. We need to know who the real players are as opposed to NPC's. This sounds like a method to disguise real player numbers on the server and make the game as solo as possible.