Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crypto Crash... the end of Crypto gaming before it even started?

13»

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    edited December 2022
    Simple answer: No

Longer Answer: People are not understanding the time it takes for this stuff.

Lets start with some simple points:

Crypto (price/value)is down right now.  I, personally, believe that it needs to drop at LEAST another 40% before it bottoms out and any real recovery can begin. That recovery period for this is a couple of years, and gaming isnt really going to affect this much (but it might affect gaming).

The cycle of change for stuff like this in the industry is about 10 years. We are about 4 years into that cycle. Companies are interested in many crypto/blockchain related developments (P2E, P&E, WEB3, NFT, etc). They see opportunities, but don't really understand how to make this work, or what value it can add. Developers and Publishers are JUST starting to get involved with all of this (and many are doing so because of FOMO). You should expect to see smatterings of games that add these 'features', with most doing a terrible job. Some will have some minor success, and that will drive more companies to follow, in the hopes that they can build on those success.

However, just like anything new in the gaming industry, it will take time for any consistent results. Sure we might get a 'breakaway' hit in a few years that just happens to get the combination right, but it is much more likely that we will see a lot of poor implementations that are backed out of (Think D3 RMT Marketplace)without any real consistency for at last another 5-6 years.

I, personally, am in the industry. I have talked with people about how to do this in better ways... but overall the industry isn't listening, and will have to learn the old fashioned way... by failing until they succeed.
    kitarad
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Deathkon1 said:
    kitarad said:
    You can delete your account yourself. No need drama just go to the front page of this site then to your profile under profile option is delete account.
    I'm kinda curious where is the account options for this site im either dumb and its in front of me or my browser is the issue with chrome?
    Not sure if this works on the phone. I am always on my PC so with that caveat you're currently on the forum part of this site. Go to the main page of MMORPG by clicking the left top logo of MMORPG. Then click on your username to get to the profile page then check profile options.
    cheyane

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Deathkon1 said:
    kitarad said:
    You can delete your account yourself. No need drama just go to the front page of this site then to your profile under profile option is delete account.
    I'm kinda curious where is the account options for this site im either dumb and its in front of me or my browser is the issue with chrome?
    It is hard to find, you are the guy who keeps changing his avatar picture to confuse me and even you had problems tracking it down. :)
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    mekhere said:
    [...]  why there is game developer stagflation?
    What the what now ?

Computer games are staying basically constant in pricing.

There isnt even regular inflation. Thus there is also no stagflation (inflation with stagnation).

Mendel
  • mekheremekhere Member UncommonPosts: 250
    mekhere said:
    What the what now ?

There isnt even regular inflation. Thus there is also no stagflation (inflation with stagnation).

There aren't really any new games out. There are expansion packs for days. That's about it. I just went to GameStop's website and steam. Visit the mmorpg sections. There not that awesome. 

Here are the websites with the same games for the last 20 years.
    Sony Online Entertainment Games - IGN
    PC Games PC Games | GameStop
    Massively Multiplayer (steampowered.com)

How am I wrong? What does pricing have to do with innovation?
    This user is a registered flex offender. 
    Someone who is registered as being a flex offender is a person who feels the need to flex about everything they say.
    Always be the guy that paints the house in the dark.  
    Lucidity can be forged with enough liquidity and pharmed for decades with enough compound interest that a reachable profit would never end. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    mekhere said:
    What the what now ?

How about shrinkflation?  :)
    You know, when your roll of toilet paper used to have 1000 sheets and now it has 850?

That seems to be games today. Keep the price the same but you get less and less.

KyleranDibdabsScotOldKingLog

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    mekhere said:
    What the what now ?

How about shrinkflation?  :)
    You know, when your roll of toilet paper used to have 1000 sheets and now it has 850?

That seems to be games today. Keep the price the same but you get less and less.

Or you just save costs by releasing them to EA before they are ready. Pricing is constant, while quality of product is going down.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It be hard to tell what happens to something of such an unstable nature, the biggest harm the space gets is a scam after the other, bleeding out public trust and leaving it to the bears to hold the bag. If the space recovers trust crypto gaming goes nowhere.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    MaxBacon said:
    It be hard to tell what happens to something of such an unstable nature, the biggest harm the space gets is a scam after the other, bleeding out public trust and leaving it to the bears to hold the bag. If the space recovers trust crypto gaming goes nowhere.
    Tell me you know nothing about markets w/o saying it.
    Dibdabs
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    bcbully said:
    MaxBacon said:
    I suspect Max meant to say "unless" the space recovers (public) trust crypto gaming goes nowhere.

If you disagree with that statement makes me question your understanding about consumer behaviors.

Happy New Years!

Dibdabs

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:
    MaxBacon said:
    I suspect Max meant to say "unless" the space recovers (public) trust crypto gaming goes nowhere.

If you disagree with that statement makes me question your understanding about consumer behaviors.

Happy New Years!

Ah yeah that's what I meant, it depends on public trust to flourish
    KyleranDibdabs
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:
    MaxBacon said:

Happy New Years!

Ah yeah that's what I meant, it depends on public trust to flourish
    In all fairness, all fiat currencies rely on public trust, even the government backed ones.

Crypto gaming developers should focus first and foremost about making a good game, instead of the usual focus on preselling in game assets to fund it's creation.

ScotRemalibcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I think with any "making money on line crypto game", it always rely on "other players" to pay you the money.  So in essence you are just taking money from other players.

Usually it is sort of like a pyramid scheme, you always rely on new players to join to make money from them.  Or in other games you gamble or beat other players to take money away from them.  

Because obviously the developer of crypto games won't be giving you money.  

Also people need realistic expectation of how much crypto can go up in price.  The world gold reserve is about 10% of the total world economy market cap.  Crypto is about 1% market cap.  If crypto keep go up so much, it can pretty much buy the whole world, which don't make sense.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited December 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited March 2023
    Deathkon1 said:
    Kyleran said:
    In all fairness, all fiat currencies rely on public trust, even the government backed ones.

Crypto gaming developers should focus first and foremost about making a good game, instead of the usual focus on preselling in game assets to fund it's creation.

Make a good game first before you start marketing as a pay2earn crypto game and they wouldn't have so many complaints about them being a scam, they need to realize that unless they show us something up front worth a dam we can play on the spot and it actually being good that no one will give a dam to touch or care about their game. I know this is literal rocket science but dam man can't they take a hint.

Make the game before you start on the monetization model.
    In all fairness I think you have to decide a monitization model if not before, right after you begin to make a game. That being said web3 developers dont need to come out and say earn immediately.

At this point in time they are in a tough spot when it comes to message. All gamers agree fun has to be first. Web3 gamers want to hear about the earn often times early, right or wrong. While trad games just want to play and if it happens it happens.

I think benifits of the inferstructure should be talked about more. From there natural connections can and will form.
    OldKingLog
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    This seems to circle the problem of what "traditional" gamers have with crypto games.

It's not about delivering better or new gameplay mechanics, it's about a new monetization model.

All crypto gaming does is scream "we monetize your effort", and to anyone who just wants to play a game that is fun/good, this has been a sort of message that has time and again been shown to be strongly related to games that sacrifice quality for profit.
    AmarantharKyleran
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited March 2023
    Uwakionna said:
    This seems to circle the problem of what "traditional" gamers have with crypto games.

It's not about delivering better or new gameplay mechanics, it's about a new monetization model.

All crypto gaming does is scream "we monetize your effort", and to anyone who just wants to play a game that is fun/good, this has been a sort of message that has time and again been shown to be strongly related to games that sacrifice quality for profit.
    I have a huge problem with Cryptos in the first place. 
    They don't exist in the real world. There is nothing to support them (except the few who use gold to support them at some small fraction, if you can rely on their unverified reports and claims). 
    Their only value is based on public opinion, and that's only partial. 
    Lose that, and you lose it all. 
    Uwakionna

Once upon a time....

• KeladorKelador Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited March 2023
    What does NFT in games do for the consumer that current macro transaction methods doesn't? Simple answer: Nothing.

What has blockchains, NFTs and crypto been widely used for? Scams and money laundering... Only way to fix that would be centralised government oversight and regulations which is exactly what blockchains are against.

The whole imagine buying a skin in Fortnite and using it in world of warcraft pitch is total BS and will never happen for many reasons, so a NFT in games is just a macro transaction confined to said game its a digital receipt as you do not own the assets just the right to use the assets so the same thing as buying a skin in fortnite right now.

Before you come in saying but you can be the only person that owns the right to use that NFT or one of a few thousand and you can even re-sell that right!...

Thats again something that can be done without blockchains and has been done...Roblox anyone?

Watch Fortnite going forward I expect them to release a marketplace similar to Robolox that lets you buy and re-sell assets within that eco-system and I expect Epic to sell limited quantity promo skins at that time (artificial digital scarcity)
    AmarantharKyleran