Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starfield Gets An Extended Gameplay Reveal, Showing Off Combat, Locations And Much More

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2022 in Videos Discussion
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    RIP Star Citizen
    [Deleted User]jnugget173rojoArcueidJeroKaneKyleranChampieTillerBabuinixultimateduckFrodoFraginsand 3 others.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    This was the best reveal, i hate to get hype for games but this one got me.
    KyleranChampieshetlandslarsenultimateduckKidRisk[Deleted User]
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Torval said:
    An amazing reveal to me personally. Character progression, building, crafting, story. Designing and building space ships looks incredible. Building and staffing bases also looks awesome. It seems a lot like Skyrim and Fallout on steroids.

While this sort of thing personally interests me much more than Star Citizen, I think the latter (if it ever launches) will be for the people who like to play EVE. Starfield is for those of use who want a more personalized and less cash shop heavy game.

If I had just one wish it would be that I could have a persistent shared world similar, but not the same, as Fallout 76. I would love if I could rent a hosted private server where my friends and I could all play in the same world.
    I stopped watching to play with my toddler I will have to go watch this It is the one I am most excited but also scared for. 
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The explorable scope seems massive - way bigger than I imagined. 1000 planets!

Also very happy to see that it's story heavy but with plenty to do on your own, off the side - my favorite kind of RPG and right in Bethesda's wheelhouse - and that they're sticking to single player.

Couldn't be happier with this reveal.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ChampieSovrathMendelKidRisk
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Some one said RIP Star Citizen...lmao, as if Star Citizen is some serious project.

480M dollars raised and they have a tech demo. Scam company and dumb gaming hopefuls. When the cash runs dry they will say bye bye.
    ChampieangerbeaverElronirMcSleazTillerBabuinixultimateduckWalkinGlenn[Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Starfield looks like it could be great however I will wait til it releases before I get super hyped, far too many games look amazing in pre release announcements and most rarely live up to what we were shown and think we know about the game.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]mklinicChampieeoloe

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    edited June 2022
    it looks a lot like fallout 4, and i havent seen any landing on planets, or seamless traversal when indie games been doing that for 10 years now

people will be dissecting footage for a while figuring out whats what, i'm most concerned for mods, mod tools, and cash shop/ paid mod situation also the landing animations and effects look super bad!
    Gentrifried_Chicken
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I also got a Fallout 4 vibe form this reveal. However, the one thing that got me more excited about Starfield's massive world is what the modding community will be able to do in this universe. I am really looking forward to this.
    ChampieRoinKidRisk

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Ok, I'm officially hyped. I saw obvious Skyrim and Fallout influences in the video, both games are staples in my library that I still play from time to time. The sheer scale that is promised is astounding. I'm wondering if each system, planet, moon is uniquely designed or if they are procedurally generated. Either way, the exploration aspect of the game will be amazing if they manage to pull it off. This just went on my official Steam Wishlist.
    rojoArcueidKyleran[Deleted User]ChampieAbimorKidRisk

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Saw definite No Man's Sky influences in there.

Interesting, enthusing trailer, though I could have done without Todd Howard's bloviating blather. Though he has gotten lots of skill levels in blather, so I guess he might be Bethesda's best bloviator.

Could be pretty dang exciting.
    [Deleted User]IselinChampieAbimordragonlee66KidRisk

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2022
    Kratier said:
    it looks a lot like fallout 4, and i havent seen any landing on planets, or seamless traversal when indie games been doing that for 10 years now
    Does it really even matter whether there's stuff like seamless traversal?

These are games, not tech showcases. They don't need to have everything as long as what's there is fun.

With that said, let's hope Starfield will be fun. Nowadays all larger game studios can push out stuff that looks awesome in gameplay reveals, but too often it falls flat on its face when you're actually supposed to play it.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ChampieKidRiskGentrifried_Chicken

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited June 2022
    What I had hoped SQ42 might turn out to be one day.

But this is targeted for 2023 not 2030 and will be on the Gamepass Day 1....

What's not to like?

And....I saw combat shotguns.... happiness...

Just tell me where to throw my money at.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusChampieSovrathJeroKaneultimateduckMendeldragonlee66KidRisk

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Saw definite No Man's Sky influences in there.

Yeah especially with how they ID discoveries and the mining.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusultimateduckdragonlee66
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited June 2022
    Yikes! Feels like a "Fallout game but without compelling story". Meet generic, forgettable NPCs who tell you to "go there, find artifact, bring it to me, I throw a little bit of generic lore at you which doesn't really matter at all, then send you to find next artifact". And no meaningful, interesting multiplayer.

Definitely not the kind of gameplay I will enjoy. I'm sure people who enjoy repetitive, meaningless exploratory grinding will like it, though.
    KyleranSarla
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Torval said:
    It did not take the Internet long to come up with this. :lol: Awesome.

...now it only needs to be moddable and for someone to make a VR mod like for skyrim!
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2022

user298 said:

Yikes! Feels like a "Fallout game but without compelling story". Meet generic, forgettable NPCs who tell you to "go there, find artifact, bring it to me, I throw a little bit of generic lore at you which doesn't really matter at all, then send you to find next artifact". And no meaningful, interesting multiplayer.

Definitely not the kind of gameplay I will enjoy. I'm sure people who enjoy repetitive, meaningless exploratory grinding will like it, though.

How do you know it doesn't have a compelling story? All they showed was gameplay. I think it will be like a Bethesda game but with better graphics and expanded worlds and options. And probably all the bugs.

Bethesda's games from about Daggerfall (though probably more Morrowind) have been about a story AND exploration. There's no reason to think Starfield will be any different.

edit: Also there isn't any real "lore" mentioned in this trailer. This was just an intro video and a "taste" video. we won't know the extent of the game, the lore and the story until it's released.
    [Deleted User]AbimorChampieultimateduckMendeldragonlee66KidRisk
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    It looks great, but is it just me or does it appear to have fps issues?
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    1000 planets is like a game saying 1000 dungeons and there are like 20 layouts and 50 copy/pastes.
    RoinKidRisk[Deleted User]
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Finally, someone finished Freelancer.
    olepiMcSleaz[Deleted User]Roin
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Day one purchase for sure.
    Been a fanboi for a while.  :)
    [Deleted User]ChampieSarla
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    looks good.
    Champie[Deleted User]Mendel

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    edited June 2022
    I am kind of surprised that the response, even on here, is this good. Personally, I got fairly disappointed and will remain calm until it releases. They made a great decision to postpone the release until next year as it looks extremely rough. Just to point out a few things:

- The pathing of the robot in the beginning. Looks extremely stiff. It looks high-panted and it's hard to take it seriously

- No walking sound

- The mining part made me fall asleep. It is literally NMS mining, but uglier and worse

- NPC facial animations looks outdated

- The worst part: Gunplay looks horrible and the weapons uninspiring

- Space part doesn't seem innovative. We've seen the same thing in many games

- Doesn't seem to be opening up for a multiplayer experience? So exploring these 1000 planets is definitely going to feel lifeless. Who knows, surprise me

- I have seen plenty of praise for the character customisation, but if that is what a studio like Bethesda has come up with during all these years? Come on... It's basically The Sims 2

The things I think that might intrigue me are:

- The ship building. But I fear it's going to fall fairly flat and in all honesty; in what way does it matter in a singleplayer game? Just like in Subnautica, I see myself farming for the bare minimum just to go through the story. It could be that I'm not the target audience, but as long as I can't show off my ship to friends, I see no point in farming in yet another game where I'm the only one that gets to see it. NMS has multiplayer as an option. So should probably this game

- Story and Dialogue. This has always been the key element of Bethesda games so if they make a compelling story with significant decision making, then it might do good

Again, glad the postponed the release as there is a lot of stuff that needs to be solved. Also, October-December looks extremely busy on the release front, so it could potentially have fallen between the chairs.
    BabuinixChampie
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    This did kinda disappoint me too, but not massively so and largely in ways I expected. For the amount of manpower and effort they supposedly put into their engine update, it feels like little was shown for it there.

I'm certain I'll still be buying and playing the game when it comes out, but I'm not optimistic that Bethesda has gotten over their issues with technical debt and lagging behind in engine performance/capability.
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    Looks good and I'll definitely be getting it. Also, a game that everyone didn't immediately poo poo, gets my attention.
    Champie