Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bots a new form of server attack

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
Every update it seems more and more bots are replacing player spots. Normally after an update you see around 200k players playing on average, within a day or so that jumps up of 700k-800k and pushes queue wait to over 10k. Once you get into the game you see them running around everywhere like cockroaches, kill stealing ect. 

This seems to be mostly a Western version issue. It's pissing folks off, including me who are on the verge of hanging up the game; but perhaps this is on purpose. Maybe it's not just all necessarily just a money making scheme so much as it is a directed and coordinated attack. Like they are trying purposely to bring the game down, at the same time farm farm away for profit.

Sure we could blame poor coding, f2p, p2w ect, but I have feeling that even if they just decided one day to take the p2w out, the bot attacks would continue until Amazon and Smilegate throw in the towel. Just my opinion.
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Mendel

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    To my shame, I reloaded LA.  I got in and ran one of my low level alts.  Sure enough, bots were everywhere, mostly standing by important NPCs (Thirain, especially).  This kind of bot assault is terrible.

I wonder how much of the notorious queue saturation problems have been magnified by bots?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Mendel said:
    To my shame, I reloaded LA.  I got in and ran one of my low level alts.  Sure enough, bots were everywhere, mostly standing by important NPCs (Thirain, especially).  This kind of bot assault is terrible.

I wonder how much of the notorious queue saturation problems have been magnified by bots?

That's why the queues are so long. I also think Valve can claim partial responsibility on their platform since it allows so many fake accounts to proliferate. Also 2FA should not be allowed to be shut off for anyone since botnets take full advantage of stolen accounts.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,435
    I've seen massive bot trains every time I've decided to pop on to mess around on my sorc, even when they did a 'big' ban wave a couple of months ago. I dont really play the game seriously atm (hopefully that will change when arcanist is out next month), but it does feel bad knowing the issue still plagues the game that many people like.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Blizzard's doing it... just a theory :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Mendel said:

I can attest on my US East server I just stood by Thiran for 10 mins and watched an endless stream of zerkers trailing a white rabbit run up to him and the port away.
    Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Tiller said:
    Every update it seems more and more bots are replacing player spots. Normally after an update you see around 200k players playing on average, within a day or so that jumps up of 700k-800k and pushes queue wait to over 10k. Once you get into the game you see them running around everywhere like cockroaches, kill stealing ect. 

This seems to be mostly a Western version issue. It's pissing folks off, including me who are on the verge of hanging up the game; but perhaps this is on purpose. Maybe it's not just all necessarily just a money making scheme so much as it is a directed and coordinated attack. Like they are trying purposely to bring the game down, at the same time farm farm away for profit.

Sure we could blame poor coding, f2p, p2w ect, but I have feeling that even if they just decided one day to take the p2w out, the bot attacks would continue until Amazon and Smilegate throw in the towel. Just my opinion.
    I can't understand how these bots are mainly a problem in the West, are gamers here greedier bastards or something? Or did the localization add loads of backdoors (not seriously) but it is odd. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Just make your computer lag on purpose then keep accepting quest rewards and the button keeps getting pressed and you keep getting the quest rewards forever. Unlimited xp.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.