Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Shows Off Weather Effects in Charming Alpha Two Preview

2

Comments

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,216
    Mendel said:
    Pretty, yes.  But then again, many Asian grinders have pretty graphics.  Demonstrating how weather will impact game play instead of just showing animated cuts of weather would go a lot further to 'selling' this game.



    Nah...  again, I really doubt the weather was what they were even trying to sell.  It was more about pushing the "cute" animation of the "adorable" creatures.  Who knows, maybe you can get get some of them as pokemon pets...

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,284
    I would have preferred some combat videos. Animals in various weather conditions are... cool... I suppose. ?
    Slapshot1188
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited May 2022
    RaZKaLz said:

    user298 said:

    That looks pretty but this is not essential to the gameplay.



    But hey, who needs more essential core gameplay features like fully implemented character abilities and combat systems when you have pretty weather effects which can be used to promote and sell more of pretty cosmetic items through extremely abusive "limited time only, HURRY UP AND BUY BEFORE JUNE 8th!!!!" FOMO system, right?



    Did you watch the same video that I did? Cause the weather system will affect your skills, the way you approach certain fights and the economy and that is called gameplay. Certain biomes with certain weather wont be able to produce certain goods if it's winter. If it's windy/winter your skills could shrink. Certain boss or npcs might be more powerfull because of the weather too.
    Yea, I did. Did you actually read what I typed? Absolutely NONE of what has been shown in this specific video is essential to making a fun gameplay, especially for a game based around large scale PvP combat. Many other things are more essential and none of them were shown. I am saying this as a person who actually played plenty of games with fun large scale PvP, including games like Planetside 2, EVE Online, DAoC and many more.

    But hey, if you believe adding more simplistic timers in game will somehow make the gameplay better - you are free to keep overhyping this video. You can even enjoy such game right now, it's called "Final Fantasy 14" where you already have timed periods where, for example, you can fish specific fish species out of specific area only during specific in-game time of the day and specific in-game weather conditions for specific area.
  • zya4254zya4254 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Another Nikola in game industry . the founder must be Trevor Milton's relatives. stop promoting this kind of scam games.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,753
    Mendel said:
    Pretty, yes.  But then again, many Asian grinders have pretty graphics.  Demonstrating how weather will impact game play instead of just showing animated cuts of weather would go a lot further to 'selling' this game.

    Iselin said:
    Not to nitpick too much but rain drops not affecting ground water (puddles and such) looks weird especially in an Unreal 5 visual promo demo. It's like puddles have an energy field that keep rain drops away :)


    While we're ignoring basic physics, why not point out that snow accumulates in a horrendously quick time, without snowflakes falling.  Seasonal changes should not be a quick transitional cut scene between fall and winter.  "But it wasn't snowing when I left home!"



    They mentioned in the dev stream weather transitions were tremendously accelerated, in normal mode it would happen more slowly, so much so that players wouldn't see it actually happening, much like real life.


    YashaX

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 23,548
    edited May 2022
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Weather that affects game play. Cool. I'm down for that.

    Now let's move into Alpha 2 and quit poking the pooch.

    Also, the idea that "content creators" and "influencers" should keep the unwashed community masses informed and engaged can just toss right the hell off.
    Way back I had to have what a content creator was explained to me like I was an alien from another planet. What they do is so far from what it says on the tin, I asked questions like "But they are doing some mods or something then?" I couldn't get my head round it until I realised its PR jargon.
    Agreed, the concept of "content creators" and influencers as an entity or institution falls short for me. That said, I also learn a lot from Nebula, YouTube, and Curiosity Stream. Video content and special interests can be very informative. I guess I see the idea of partnered "content creators/influencers" differently from people who do provide useful information through video content. I have my favorite channels just like TV/Streaming.
    Nothing wrong with using videos from people in the know for information, that's were this all started. But the rise of those tied to a project or doing this as their sole career has totally distorted that foundation.
    Post edited by Scot on
    KyleranMendel
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,216
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Weather that affects game play. Cool. I'm down for that.

    Now let's move into Alpha 2 and quit poking the pooch.

    Also, the idea that "content creators" and "influencers" should keep the unwashed community masses informed and engaged can just toss right the hell off.
    Way back I had to have what a content creator was explained to me like I was an alien from another planet. What they do is so far from what it says on the tin, I asked questions like "But they are doing some mods or something then?" I couldn't get my head round it until I realised its PR jargon.
    Agreed, the concept of "content creators" and influencers as an entity or institution falls short for me. That said, I also learn a lot from Nebula, YouTube, and Curiosity Stream. Video content and special interests can be very informative. I guess I see the idea of partnered "content creators/influencers" differently from people who do provide useful information through video content. I have my favorite channels just like TV/Streaming.
    Nothing wrong with using videos from people in the know for information, that's were this all started. But the rise of those tied to a project or doing this as their sole career has totally distorted that foundation.
    Don’t forget that Stephen has essentially turned these folks into commission based salespeople.  They earn real money based on the purchases of their referrals. 
    Scot

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    koldmiser said:
    Why does it have to be open world PVP though?!?!
    Because PvP content is cheaper to build than PvE, if I had to guess without knowing anything about the project.

    Adding replayability hours without having to create additional scripted content.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Pretty, yes.  But then again, many Asian grinders have pretty graphics.  Demonstrating how weather will impact game play instead of just showing animated cuts of weather would go a lot further to 'selling' this game.

    Iselin said:
    Not to nitpick too much but rain drops not affecting ground water (puddles and such) looks weird especially in an Unreal 5 visual promo demo. It's like puddles have an energy field that keep rain drops away :)


    While we're ignoring basic physics, why not point out that snow accumulates in a horrendously quick time, without snowflakes falling.  Seasonal changes should not be a quick transitional cut scene between fall and winter.  "But it wasn't snowing when I left home!"



    They mentioned in the dev stream weather transitions were tremendously accelerated, in normal mode it would happen more slowly, so much so that players wouldn't see it actually happening, much like real life.



    I can believe they expected me to watch their 1:27:00 video to glean such info, but...

    Et tu, @Kyleran?



    Kyleran[Deleted User]

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,753
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Pretty, yes.  But then again, many Asian grinders have pretty graphics.  Demonstrating how weather will impact game play instead of just showing animated cuts of weather would go a lot further to 'selling' this game.

    Iselin said:
    Not to nitpick too much but rain drops not affecting ground water (puddles and such) looks weird especially in an Unreal 5 visual promo demo. It's like puddles have an energy field that keep rain drops away :)


    While we're ignoring basic physics, why not point out that snow accumulates in a horrendously quick time, without snowflakes falling.  Seasonal changes should not be a quick transitional cut scene between fall and winter.  "But it wasn't snowing when I left home!"



    They mentioned in the dev stream weather transitions were tremendously accelerated, in normal mode it would happen more slowly, so much so that players wouldn't see it actually happening, much like real life.



    I can believe they expected me to watch their 1:27:00 video to glean such info, but...

    Et tu, @Kyleran?



    Fortunately the commentary came pretty early on, I certainly didn't last much more than the first 30 mins or so.


    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,753
    koldmiser said:
    Why does it have to be open world PVP though?!?!
    Because PvP content is cheaper to build than PvE, if I had to guess without knowing anything about the project.

    Adding replayability hours without having to create additional scripted content.
    Project was always intended to be about territory building, defense and control, allegedly putting in quite a bit of work around it and not just as a substitute for skipping building PVE.
    Sovrath

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,329
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:
    Now this is an RPG. Absolutely beautiful.
    It just added more time to the final delivery, perhaps even a year or two, but hey, better graphics are more important, amiright?  Steven and team clearly seem to think so.
    Why would it add more time to the final delivery? :D

  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited May 2022
    Kyleran said:
    koldmiser said:
    Why does it have to be open world PVP though?!?!
    Because PvP content is cheaper to build than PvE, if I had to guess without knowing anything about the project.

    Adding replayability hours without having to create additional scripted content.
    Project was always intended to be about territory building, defense and control, allegedly putting in quite a bit of work around it and not just as a substitute for skipping building PVE.
    Even so, I don't realistically think it would approach the level of work needed to create the same world, except full of PvE scripted content.

    Maybe if that PvE was the most basic of "kill x mobs, turn in, repeat" quests.

    Sometimes the budget for the vision is found, sometimes the vision for the budget is found. ;)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,753
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:
    Now this is an RPG. Absolutely beautiful.
    It just added more time to the final delivery, perhaps even a year or two, but hey, better graphics are more important, amiright?  Steven and team clearly seem to think so.
    Why would it add more time to the final delivery? :D

    Listen to the stream, devs discuss their efforts to incorporate the new weather system into the game world, including having to create their own solution to get the trees created in one tool to sway properly in the wind with the rest of the flora.

    They've added chameleon like effects for some of the fauna, to react to the changes in season.

    Both are examples I'm sure were added after the opportunity presented itself recently, and not part of the plan a year back.

    Doubtful they did a one for one feature add / drop, so scope and development time just moved out.

    Not surprising I have to explain such to a SC backer though.

     :D

     
    MendelBabuinixYashaX[Deleted User]

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:
    Now this is an RPG. Absolutely beautiful.
    It just added more time to the final delivery, perhaps even a year or two, but hey, better graphics are more important, amiright?  Steven and team clearly seem to think so.
    Why would it add more time to the final delivery? :D

    Listen to the stream, devs discuss their efforts to incorporate the new weather system into the game world, including having to create their own solution to get the trees created in one tool to sway properly in the wind with the rest of the flora.

    They've added chameleon like effects for some of the fauna, to react to the changes in season.

    Both are examples I'm sure were added after the opportunity presented itself recently, and not part of the plan a year back.

    Doubtful they did a one for one feature add / drop, so scope and development time just moved out.

    Not surprising I have to explain such to a SC backer though.

     :D

     

    They made more (and probably a lot more) work for themselves from a mostly known starting point, as opposed to initially promising every possible thing leaving no room for improvement.  Also, I'm sure that SC backers will say the RSI method eliminates 'scope creep', because everything is already there.  We can't help those who willingly delude themselves.



    Kyleran[Deleted User]

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,329
    edited May 2022
    Kyleran said:
    Listen to the stream,
    I listened, but why would that delay the game for 1 or 2 years when it's work that can be be done while harder and slower stuff gets done like the Networking, Tools, Game mechanics and so on?  

    These are things done by different people so why would Art/World Building delay the game when it's the foundations that will take the most time?

    YashaX
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:
    Now this is an RPG. Absolutely beautiful.
    It just added more time to the final delivery, perhaps even a year or two, but hey, better graphics are more important, amiright?  Steven and team clearly seem to think so.




    Thats not how game development works. They don't work on one system at a time. There were a handful of developers that had any involvement in making this feature. They have well over a hundred employees now. 

    Also this was a feature that was promised from the start. Its not feature creep. It is also one of the more complicated ones that they had promised so getting it finished is a pretty big deal.
    BabuinixSensai[Deleted User]
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:

    user298 said:

    That looks pretty but this is not essential to the gameplay.



    But hey, who needs more essential core gameplay features like fully implemented character abilities and combat systems when you have pretty weather effects which can be used to promote and sell more of pretty cosmetic items through extremely abusive "limited time only, HURRY UP AND BUY BEFORE JUNE 8th!!!!" FOMO system, right?



    Well they need to keep the funding some how. You know games cost money to make? And software engineers are not cheap.

    And they do have gameplay mechanics, they have shown these off in other videos.

    This is the weather system, not the ability system.

    P.s, I'm not even a die-fan/fanboi, don't have not bought it.
    There is no evidence the ability or game systems have actually been tied to the weather system in any fashion.

    Don't be fooled by the man behind the curtain, wait until he delivers the actual magic before giving accolades.

    My guess is much of what was demonstrated is core functionality of the Unreal 5 engine and less about their own efforts.

    I believe the merger of previous gameplay code and weather have a long way to go, same as the final release date, 2025 is the optimistic view I think.


    You speak of evidence then go on to say "My guess is.." and "I believe.." followed by baseless assumptions. You guys think you are smart be being so pessimistic because the track record of MMO development is not good so chances are higher you will be correct if this game fails. With that attitude there is no reason to even be here. You cant just sit around a reminisce about the good old days of MMOs forever. 

    Within a few months they have shown a very good character creator and seasons/environmental update. This is very good progress. If this is the quality level they are going for the reveal of their combat 2.0 could be amazing.
    BabuinixKyleran
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,329
    Ponzini said:
    You speak of evidence then go on to say "My guess is.." and "I believe.." followed by baseless assumptions. You guys think you are smart be being so pessimistic
    You've just described most of the posters who make their hobbie about shitting on games in development acting all smug pretending to know what they're talking about while spewing complete nonsense lol

    And the worst part is that some people take them seriously which makes them believe their nonsense without ever realising how wrong they are.

    The good old Armchair Developer that know better than industry professionals :D
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,216
    Ponzini said:
    Kyleran said:
    KroxMalon said:
    Now this is an RPG. Absolutely beautiful.
    It just added more time to the final delivery, perhaps even a year or two, but hey, better graphics are more important, amiright?  Steven and team clearly seem to think so.




    Thats not how game development works. They don't work on one system at a time. There were a handful of developers that had any involvement in making this feature. They have well over a hundred employees now. 

    Also this was a feature that was promised from the start. Its not feature creep. It is also one of the more complicated ones that they had promised so getting it finished is a pretty big deal.
    Yet somehow we are years past the promised date with no end in sight.  Funny how that happens...
    I'm sure there was no feature creep at all.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Listen to the stream,
    I listened, but why would that delay the game for 1 or 2 years when it's work that can be be done while harder and slower stuff gets done like the Networking, Tools, Game mechanics and so on?  

    These are things done by different people so why would Art/World Building delay the game when it's the foundations that will take the most time?

    You are melting my brain bro, omg.
    Slapshot1188KyleranIselin[Deleted User]
    ....
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,216
    Babuinix said:
    Ponzini said:
    You speak of evidence then go on to say "My guess is.." and "I believe.." followed by baseless assumptions. You guys think you are smart be being so pessimistic
    You've just described most of the posters who make their hobbie about shitting on games in development acting all smug pretending to know what they're talking about while spewing complete nonsense lol

    And the worst part is that some people take them seriously which makes them believe their nonsense without ever realising how wrong they are.

    The good old Armchair Developer that know better than industry professionals :D
    Was it the armchair developer who woefully underestimated their budget and timeline or was that the actual developer?  Just wondering which party has actually been proven to be demonstrably wrong over and over again...

    Well actually no... not wondering as we KNOW the answer to that one.  It's the DEVELOPER that sets the expectations, the timelines, the budgets...and it is those same people who constantly miss them.


    Mendel

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,329
    It's the DEVELOPER that sets the expectations, the timelines, the budgets...
    With the information they have AT the time. Why is that so hard to grasp that things change along the way?

    Game Development is not an exact science that you can plan to the wire. Just because you like to pretend that anything a Dev says should be considered a promised does not makes it so. :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,753
    Babuinix said:
    It's the DEVELOPER that sets the expectations, the timelines, the budgets...
    With the information they have AT the time. Why is that so hard to grasp that things change along the way?

    Game Development is not an exact science that you can plan to the wire. Just because you like to pretend that anything a Dev says should be considered a promised does not makes it so. :D
    At my employer they terminate developers / leads who aren't able to deliver on their promises, especially if the problem regularly reoccurs.

    Game development isn't rocket science, no matter how much you try to paint it so.


    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Mendel

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,216
    Babuinix said:
    It's the DEVELOPER that sets the expectations, the timelines, the budgets...
    With the information they have AT the time. Why is that so hard to grasp that things change along the way?

    Had the same info and knew what they were saying was complete bullshit.
    Why is that so hard to grasp?

    If a "jeweler" offers to sell you a solid gold necklace for $50... you do not have to be a "jeweler" to know that either it's not gold, it's stolen, or both.
    Some people are capable of critical thinking.

    KyleranYashaX

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Sign In or Register to comment.