Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raven Software QA Group Votes To Unionize, Becomes First Major US Games Union

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

Staffers at Activision Blizzard studio Raven Software voted today to be recognized as a union, with the vote successfully carrying the day. As such, this marks the first major US games union to be formed at a major studio.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    2023 note in Quarterly Report will say "Anticipate enhanced synergistic savings by consolidating all unit QA work under one roof in Mumbai"
    Lark3mChampieKyleranKootur

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good for them.

Pretty basic workers right - to act collectively to further their self interest - that is too often kneejerk ridiculed by those who believe that workers should be thankful to have jobs, keep quiet and take whatever table scraps the masters want to give them, and the brainwashed corporate fanbois who cheer on those corpofascists,

I could go on... :)
    YashaXNeoyoshi[Deleted User]achesomaTheDalaiBombaChampieKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Winning a vote doesn't mean a Union has been created, it just means exactly what it says, a vote for a Union was successful.

Whether the Union will actually be created is a completely different thing, which it probably won't be.
    ChampieKootur

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Iselin said:
    Good for them.

Pretty basic workers right - to act collectively to further their self interest - that is too often kneejerk ridiculed by those who believe that workers should be thankful to have jobs, keep quiet and take whatever table scraps the masters want to give them, and the brainwashed corporate fanbois who cheer on those corpofascists,

Agree that basic unionisation when done right is a good thing. Protect the workers from corporate sharks.

But Unions could also get to much power and abuse them.

Example: I am from Norway. Yes we are spoiled rich kids because of oil. Yes we get free health care and schools. Heck I even get free dental care because I am disabled. And I live quite comfortably on my disabilty (econ). And no we are not communists  :D

I worked within healthcare for 15 years before I got sick. But the thing is the union which protect goverment workers has way to much power. Up to a point that it became almost impossible to fire someone who does not do his/her job properly. So if you suck at your job you will still keep it because of the union. Best thing I could hope for as a colleague was to get them transferred to another goverment job. But then they just become some one else problem.

In the private sector though luckily Unions work "normally"  

KidRiskYashaXKyleranharken33Kootur
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
    Iselin said:
    Good for them.

Agree that basic unionisation when done right is a good thing. Protect the workers from corporate sharks.

But Unions could also get to much power and abuse them.

Example: I am from Norway. Yes we are spoiled rich kids because of oil. Yes we get free health care and schools. Heck I even get free dental care because I am disabled. And I live quite comfortably on my disabilty (econ). And no we are not communists  :D

I worked within healthcare for 15 years before I got sick. But the thing is the union which protect goverment workers has way to much power. Up to a point that it became almost impossible to fire someone who does not do his/her job properly. So if you suck at your job you will still keep it because of the union. Best thing I could hope for as a colleague was to get them transferred to another goverment job. But then they just become some one else problem.

In the private sector though luckily Unions work "normally"  

People should be so lucky that the problem they need to deal with is a too powerful Union. :)

Yes I'm aware of the Scandinavian democracies and where I live in Canada, we're not too far behind you with our social safety nets. We're the fortunate ones. Most of the world isn't. 

shetlandslarsen[Deleted User]YashaXKyleranharken33
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2022
    Oh I see we are allowed to post on this because Christina has not done the article, not everyone is afraid of free speech. What am I going to say....boo! That was shocking I am sure. :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I’ve previously posted my experience with the Teamsters (locals 295 and 851) so won’t rehash.

Aside from that corruption though, my issue is when employees are forced to join and pay dues.  Make it optional to join and I’ll probably support it every time. 
    KidRiskScotKyleranKootur

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I’ve previously posted my experience with the Teamsters (locals 295 and 851) so won’t rehash.

Aside from that corruption though, my issue is when employees are forced to join and pay dues.  Make it optional to join and I’ll probably support it every time. 
    My experience with unions has been a mixed one; what I have noticed is that regardless of how well the company is doing or how well the union is looking after its members, the union delegates are always doing nicely thank you very much. That said this union is new, so I would imagine that will be less pronounced here.
    Kyleran
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited May 2022
    Unions are a tool, like any other (including things like regulations).

Tools are not, by their nature, good or bad.  They're simply catalysts for a specific sort of change goal.  Need a nail in wood?  The hammer is your catalyst.  Need some collective leverage to counter an oppressive corporate workplace?  The union is your catalyst.

The hammer can be abused- hell, it has been used to kill more times than can be counted.  In a morbid way, it is still a catalyst for a perverted goal even then.  But no one thinks the hammer is bad or evil because of it.  Unions are much the same.  The way they're used by their members is what makes them good or bad.
    ChampieYashaXKyleranharken33
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Unions might just about work in the public sector. In the private sector gaming industry.. is this an ActiBlizz outsourcing announcement waiting to happen? Good luck anyway, Raven people.
    KyleranKootur
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You know what happens when you join a union? You get $4 an hour more, get put on a higher pay level and have some short guy talking loudly about the people. Then your 6-4 job becomes a 11-3 job.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    UAW, Teamsters, Teachers Unions, I could go on...
    Kootur
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2022
    Finvega said:
    Airway Traffic Control Operators..   :#
    Kootur

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harken33harken33 Member UncommonPosts: 153

Like Iselin (who is beginning to sound more and more like Johnny Silverhand B) ) I live in Canada (although on the opposite coast) with vast social programs / safety nets to assist most folks hopefully in their darkest times. I was fortunate enough in my field for my employment to not be affected from the recent pandemic but know people who had to rely on these programs to survive in a 2year lockdown and we were glad they existed for them.

Just a little curious about the article calling it the first major US games union. Does that mean that all several hundred Raven employees automatically must join the union if it is formed? Or does major refer to 20ish people in the QA department that voted to form it?

If its only the QA folks a union of 20ish doesn't  seem to have much clout unlike say the International brotherhood of electricians who have 70,000 members in Canada alone. Are they a subsidiary of a more powerful union?

Also going by that picture with some of the employees where they won, all  are raising their fists in solidarity together with one deciding to keep his hands in his pockets. I know who i would assume was a corporate sellout and voted against it. Once formed kicking him out should be on the agenda :smile:   :p  /THIS IS A JOKE

TheDalaiBomba
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Kyleran said:
    Finvega said:
    Have a guess which European country is responsible for more than a third of Europe's flight delay's?

They even have a name for it 'gréviculture' which means strike culture. Our good friends the French. :)

That's political and I admire the French, well not the strike culture but certainly the culture. So no more such posts here.
  • harken33harken33 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Finvega said:
    Have a guess which European country is responsible for more than a third of Europe's flight delay's?

They even have a name for it 'gréviculture' which means strike culture. Our good friends the French. :)

That's political and I admire the French, well not the strike culture but certainly the culture. So no more such posts here.

Aha the first thing i thought of when Kyleran mentioned the Air traffic controllers was their strike in the 80's which since they were federal employees was apparently against the rules.

President Ronald Reagan ordered them back to work or they would be fired etc etc, they did not return as they wanted more negotiation and planes cant fly without them, so Reagan fired them all and banned them for working for the federal government for life (maybe just as air traffic controllers) and used the military to direct flights while they hired new people. He effectively broke that union.

Not sure that kind of thing would happen with today's social media generation.
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Congratulations, I suppose.  Now, will this mean better games for the customers?

Might I point out to the Blizzard spokesman that 22 of 350 is closer to 5% than 10%.  6.28%, to be precise.  If you're going to be petty with the numbers, be accurate.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

harken33 said:

Like Iselin (who is beginning to sound more and more like Johnny Silverhand B) ) I live in Canada (although on the opposite coast) with vast social programs / safety nets to assist most folks hopefully in their darkest times. I was fortunate enough in my field for my employment to not be affected from the recent pandemic but know people who had to rely on these programs to survive in a 2year lockdown and we were glad they existed for them.

Just a little curious about the article calling it the first major US games union. Does that mean that all several hundred Raven employees automatically must join the union if it is formed? Or does major refer to 20ish people in the QA department that voted to form it?

If its only the QA folks a union of 20ish doesn't  seem to have much clout unlike say the International brotherhood of electricians who have 70,000 members in Canada alone. Are they a subsidiary of a more powerful union?

Also going by that picture with some of the employees where they won, all  are raising their fists in solidarity together with one deciding to keep his hands in his pockets. I know who i would assume was a corporate sellout and voted against it. Once formed kicking him out should be on the agenda :smile:   :p  /THIS IS A JOKE

What do you mean my paycheck is late, corposcum?
    harken33[Deleted User]KyleranScot

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Iselin said:
    Good for them.

They will get replaced, they aren't that qualified or important. 
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Kootur said:
    Iselin said:
    Good for them.

They will get replaced, they aren't that qualified or important. 
    Actually, they're in a pretty good industry for such collective bargaining considering the ongoing talent shortage globally:

https://www.daxx.com/blog/development-trends/software-developer-shortage-us
    [Deleted User]