Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another promise date about to be missed

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
Remember this not so old promise by Chris Roberts? Looks like the 10 year mark is almost upon us, shall we go for 20?

"Now I am in a position to realize it, I am not willing to compromise it's potential because it is taking longer than I originally envisioned.” He continued, “I can promise you the gameplay I described is not a pipe dream, nor will it take 10 to 20 years to deliver.”Sep 14, 2020"

Please note white knights, he did not say "10 or 20 more years" so am taking his statement at face value.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

YashaXbcbullyFirstKnight117

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
     “I can promise you the gameplay I described is not a pipe dream, nor will it take 10 to 20 years to deliver.”Sep 14, 2020"
    If we assume that he takes more than 30 years to deliver, then he's fulfilled his promise of no taking 10 to 20 years.
    SandmanjwQuizzicalWhiteLanternTheocritusYashaXXarkorojoArcueid

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2022
    Kyleran said:
    Remember this not so old promise by Chris Roberts? Looks like the 10 year mark is almost upon us, shall we go for 20?

"Now I am in a position to realize it, I am not willing to compromise it's potential because it is taking longer than I originally envisioned.” He continued, “I can promise you the gameplay I described is not a pipe dream, nor will it take 10 to 20 years to deliver.”Sep 14, 2020"

Please note white knights, he did not say "10 or 20 more years" so am taking his statement at face value.

it also does not mean it wont take 30 years .. as 30 is nor 10 nor 20
    Kyleran
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    How far out are SC supporters willing to go is more the question. I doubt Roberts can continue on without their ongoing contribution. Less coming in might actually accelerate release of the game so could be wiser for supporters than endless development enablement.
    TheDalaiBomba
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Has anyone done a genealogy search and seen if Roberts and George R. R. Martin share a tree somewhere?

It's been 11 years since good old George published A Dance With Dragons and turned his focus to writing The Winds of Winter.

Chris (according to wiki) started production work on Star Citizen the same year.

Both are forever making progress.  Neither seem to be any closer to release than they were a few years ago.

Coincidence?  Or more?

Adamantine

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    So what I'm hearing here then, is that there will be a minimum 11 more years? 
    That's cool, I guess.
    Adamantine

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I think if someone has to ask when will Star Citizen launch, then they really aren't cut out to follow Star Citizen.

Some day in the far distant future there will be a final wipe, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth I think.

Course this "final wipe" could happen before SC does theirs. 

Brainy

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    when this game is ready to launch, we will be way to old to play it.
    Adamantine
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Notice that Roberts said nothing about an actual release date. There is no roadmap, no plan, that has release as the end point. I don't think he knows what the end point is, if there even is one.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MadBomber13MadBomber13 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    olepi said:
    Notice that Roberts said nothing about an actual release date. There is no roadmap, no plan, that has release as the end point. I don't think he knows what the end point is, if there even is one.
    That's the point though, there is no endpoint. Why plan for an end to the development cash rolling in when the player base is happy to keep funding the project and play the endless alpha supplied to them. I think the current strategy has served him well. 
    KyleranYashaX
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited May 2022
    Both are forever making progress.  Neither seem to be any closer to release than they were a few years ago.

Is Chris Roberts even literate? Over the last decade I get the impression that Chris Roberts has the mind of a 3 year old.
    Tiller
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    At the very least squadron 42 should have been ready by now.
    [Deleted User]Xarko
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I doubt they give a damn about dates their backers don't seem to care either. 
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I doubt they give a damn about dates their backers don't seem to care either. 
    I'm a backer.  I care.  Do I count?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    April 2021
    April 2022

Ungoodeoloe
    If those charts are meaningful in any way you should be able to tell us overall completion percentage of the project.

Go ahead and tell us...

I'll wait

MendelYashaXBrainyXarko

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited May 2022
    Wall of text crits for 10 zillion....

So much progress, so little actually accomplished where it really matters, getting the two games launched before the year 2025.

Let's see the high level charts of what's left to do before release, along with progress to date for each.

You don't even have to include target dates, when it's ready or finished, I know the drill.
    Slapshot1188Mendel

:D

YashaXUngood
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you look closely at these charts, you can easily count 6 green lines ('released').  Most of the accomplishments are 'Vehicles', i.e., things to sell.

10+ years of work, 6 tasks completed.  Some progress.

Slapshot1188cheyaneYashaX

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Progress is nice, launching is better.
    BabuinixKyleranYashaXSplattr
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    "Wow, just look at all that progress! We've really traveled far from our beginning!"

So how far do you have to go before release?

"Uh .... wow, just look at all those progress charts!"
    KyleranYashaX

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Babuinix said:
    :D

Except you're not the guys on the couch, because you come here regularly to hype and white knight for the project.
    Slapshot1188KyleranYashaX
    Scot said:
    Progress is nice, launching is better.
    Laughs in Anthem and all the other failed launches and still born games along the years.

What you should be asking is why can't no studio has managed to release a game able to steal Star Citizen thunder.

It's almost like this kind of games are difficult to create. Just a thought. B)
    Except you're not the guys on the couch, because you come here regularly to hype and white knight for the project.
    Multi-monitor setups are thing and long travel times are a thing you know.