Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LotRO Wants To Discuss Monster Play As It Starts To Lay Its Vision For The Feature's Future | MMORPG

2»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2022
    olepi said:
    Adding forced PvP to LoTRO would ruin the game.
    Noo, you make a server with that rule set..

And it instantly be the highest pop server...imo
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

hupa said:

Viper482 said:

A PvE purist who isn't an ass by wanting to deny PvP players a server. You are a rare thing sir!

I don't think I've ever seen a PvE player not wanting to give PvP players their own server. The issue is that PvP players would rather gank PvE players and keep insisting that they add PvP on PvE servers.

I have seen plenty of people against PvP servers because they don't want PvP balancing to affect their PvE balancing. Many PvE purists don't want any PvP in any game to take away from their PvE development. Been around a long time and have seen this attitude plenty.
    Alomar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Whoa... what a blast from the past. I used to ONLY play LOTRO for the freep vs creep play. AKA Monster play. Played for years and got to rank 14 I think as a giant spider, by far the highest level player on whatever server it was. I loved it, small community, and we were defending the moors from the invading humans/elves/dwarves. We had to work together as the free peoples side was hilariously overpowered most of the time, able to kill 3 of us for every one of them on the most overpowered classes. We were usually camped into the safe/spawn zone till they thinned out enough or we amassed enough to be able to push out and fight back.

It was amazingly fun despite the horrific imbalance as PvMP was almost never touched by the devs except for the rare balance pass long after a new expansion broke things. And the one time we got a dungeon added to the pvp zone we could do. (Though it was really meant for the other players.)

But the developers completely abandoned it for years and years on end. And this very Orion guy is the liar who kept claiming we'd get new content, a new zone, new classes, etc. He never did a damn thing. So don't believe A DAMN WORD he's saying. It's all lies. He's a habitual liar with a proven track record going back more than a decade.

It was nice to reminisce of the good times I had with monster play though. Thanks for that.
    cameltosis

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Scorchien said:
    olepi said:

People might just be bored enough with the game to go for that
  • flippingeckflippingeck Newbie CommonPosts: 7

Scorchien said:

Told them 17 years ago , to let the Creeps out of the Moors , let them have free rein , but can only respawn in Moors if not rezzed ..

Of course put some limitations on it of how often/time limit etc..

Would breathe life into there servers like they have never seen ..

It would be quite interesting if they did this as long as it was done on a new progression server . I think as a others have said here in these comments , if you did it on existing servers it would drive the player base away . That doesn't mean it couldn't be done though . I don't see any problem offering gamers the option to have world PVP of this kind .
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Future? I wonder if this mmo will ever see a new game engine. A modern looking Lotro mmorpg, now there's a thought.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I'm glad Monster Play is getting some love!

LotRO's PvP is some of the best PvP I've ever experienced, I had a right blast! I stuck with the creep side for my first few years, then switched to freep side due to being guild leader. I enjoyed both.

Some of the things I liked best:

• Non-humanoid creeps - warg and spider were just cool to play, and it was great finally having players be something other than humanoid!
    • Depth of combat mechanics - applies to both pve and pvp, but I couldn't get enough of the combat.
    • Long TTK - fights took their time, which meant even if you lost, you had fun. If you won, it felt even more special!
    • Suitable for any group size - whether you were solo, grouped or in a raid, you could always find a place and have fun.
    • Self-balancing mechanics - no matter how bad the imbalance, there was always somewhere on the map that you could fight. Even if you were outnumbered 10:1, you could fight near your respawn point and make use of the insta-kill NPCs.

My favourite time in the Ettenmoors was when the Delving of Fror released. I think this was supposed to be in imitation of DAoC: a mixed PvEvP sub-zone that only the team holding 3 out of 5 keeps could access.

It meant that for about 3 or 4 months, every time one team started to dominate, half that team would disappear into the Delving, flipping the balance on its head. I'd never seen the moors so busy, not just with PvPers but plenty of PvEers joined in too and many of them ended up sticking around.

Unfortunately, after 3 or 4 months of this, most of the regulars had farmed whatever they needed from the Delving and so it stopped working. Players ignored it, and then the devs never really did anything to invigorate it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    When I played LOTRO, DAoC was still too fresh in my mind to ever take monster play seriously as legit PvP mode. I don't think I ever played in the moors more than a handful of times mostly out of curiosity when a friend wanted to go there and only ever as a freep.  My loss maybe.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MD24MD24 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    In lotro, the vast majority are PVPers, I am not optimistic about this, I hope SSG does not waste time and manpower.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Iselin said:
    When I played LOTRO, DAoC was still too fresh in my mind to ever take monster play seriously as legit PvP mode. I don't think I ever played in the moors more than a handful of times mostly out of curiosity when a friend wanted to go there and only ever as a freep.  My loss maybe.
    Same here, but eventually it won me over, that said PvP wise what does compare well to realm versus realm?

MD24 said:
    In lotro, the vast majority are PVPers, I am not optimistic about this, I hope SSG does not waste time and manpower.
    I assume you mean PvE players, to a certain I agree, but the have to balance development otherwise all the would do was new PvE stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Nebless said:

Scorchien said:

Told them 17 years ago , to let the Creeps out of the Moors , let them have free rein , but can only respawn in Moors if not rezzed ..

More likely it would drive off the 99.5% PVE player base that keeps the game afloat.

Pretty much. I'm a PvE player. I'd prefer not to have PVP infect the non-PVP zones. Give the PVPers maybe another zone, but don't expand it beyond that. I do not want to have my playtime and mood ruined by some sweatlord whose only happiness is ganking non-PVPers without a chance to fight back.

I started playing LOTRO in 2021 and never have tried PvMP, I just know it's dead so never bothered to play it. I could try it if they revitalize it, but honestly I don't really care about that.

I'd prefer instead:

- better graphics
    - better servers with no lag
    - better combat
    - better sound design
    - better UI
    TheDalaiBomba
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Viper482 said:

hupa said:

Viper482 said:

A PvE purist who isn't an ass by wanting to deny PvP players a server. You are a rare thing sir!

I don't think I've ever seen a PvE player not wanting to give PvP players their own server. The issue is that PvP players would rather gank PvE players and keep insisting that they add PvP on PvE servers.

I have seen plenty of people against PvP servers because they don't want PvP balancing to affect their PvE balancing. Many PvE purists don't want any PvP in any game to take away from their PvE development. Been around a long time and have seen this attitude plenty.
    I've never understood why developers just don't balance all characters and then just have some of them controlled by players?

Instead of making separate systems, just have a combat system that allows npc's to have skills that the players have and vice versa.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Nebless said:

Scorchien said:

More likely it would drive off the 99.5% PVE player base that keeps the game afloat.

Pretty much. I'm a PvE player. I'd prefer not to have PVP infect the non-PVP zones. Give the PVPers maybe another zone, but don't expand it beyond that. I do not want to have my playtime and mood ruined by some sweatlord whose only happiness is ganking non-PVPers without a chance to fight back.

I started playing LOTRO in 2021 and never have tried PvMP, I just know it's dead so never bothered to play it. I could try it if they revitalize it, but honestly I don't really care about that.

I'd prefer instead:

- better graphics
    - better combat
    - better sound design
    - better UI

At this point I would jsut as soon they make a new game.....It's like trying to put a coat of paint on a 50 year old house.
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Nebless said:

Scorchien said:

I'd prefer instead:

- better graphics
    - better combat
    - better sound design
    - better UI

At this point I would jsut as soon they make a new game.....It's like trying to put a coat of paint on a 50 year old house.
    not sure that analogy works.  B)
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Scorchien said:
    olepi said:

I believe they once let creeps attack Bree, but if what they said when the game launched is true then they can't make such a server.  This is because they claimed Tolkien Enterprises(not estate) said it would break lore too much and TE simply wouldn't allow it. TE has allowed pretty serious lore breaking in the past in other games like BFME2 and so I didn't really believe that claim.  But I guess it makes sense as it's a persistent world running for years.

I do know that not having a true two faction game hurt the game from the start.  they modeled themselves after WOW but only offered one playable faction.

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited May 2022
    Scorchien said:
    olepi said:

I believe they once let creeps attack Bree, but if what they said when the game launched is true then they can't make such a server.  This is because they claimed Tolkien Enterprises(not estate) said it would break lore too much and TE simply wouldn't allow it. TE has allowed pretty serious lore breaking in the past in other games like BFME2 and so I didn't really believe that claim.  But I guess it makes sense as it's a persistent world running for years.

I do know that not having a true two faction game hurt the game from the start.  they modeled themselves after WOW but only offered one playable faction.

I don't think LOTRO is as PvP-sever ready as WoW.

Lotro's second faction wasn't actually player avatars like the Freeps.  The very nature of the playable avatrs is different.  Shoe-horning that into a PvP server would in no way result in the same experience as a WoW PvP server.
    [Deleted User]
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Scorchien said:
    olepi said:

I suspect you grossly misinterpret the core audience of Lotro, and that a pvp server will begin and end the exact same way specialty servers usually end up:

- Big initial rush.
    - Server population quickly plummets, leaving only the pvp gank crowd.
    - The remaining players massively over-represent one faction, and the issues caused from the adhoc pvp changes in a game built for pve reveal themselves.

But hey, why refer to historical trends when formulating an opinion?

What's the main reason why it will fail? Because every new server is low effort, and fails to address the core problems that creates the desperate efforts to regain players lost by past decisions. 

I still remember the F2P conversion ... when nearly every major guild dissolved, and my server's sense of community was instantly obliterated. But WHALES! Amirite? 

Now, if done right? Hell ya, could be fun. 

It won't be done right.