Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG ?

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
So which MMORPG is in your opinion the best, any why is it the best ?

UngoodAlBQuirkyScotScorchien

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2022
    its still UO ..

Still the best MMORPG virtual world to date

Still more activities for a player than any other game on the market
    KyleranTokkenUngoodAlBQuirkyAbscissa15Amaranthar
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Vanilla World of Warcraft- Best Open world its like a life within the game (seamless)
    Vanilla D&D Online- Best dungeons 
    Vanguard- Another good open world, and dungeons
    Vanilla EverQuest 2
    TokkenUngoodKyleranAlBQuirkyScot
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (2007-01-30 - 2014-07-31; originally by Sigil Games, but then Sony Entertainment Online)

+ Many races (19) and many classes (15), classes have been complex (ca 50 abilities at maxlevel) and at least in the end it felt very well balanced (this doesnt refer to solo gameplay which differed drastically between classes); very dynamic combat and classes differed a lot in gameplay; healers and tanks have been great solists (exception Warrior and to a lesser degree Hayatet/Phoenix Shaman which hardly did more damage than the other Shamans, but had no defenses and despite levitation couldnt kite well because the spells would have cast time).

+ Very interactive gameplay which opened special abilities (for example critical hit followups, reaction abilities after successful block/parry/dodge, also weaknesses which would be put by some classes to be exploitable by others if you reacted quickly enough, also special sequences of attacks which would unlock certain buffs, also point systems which many classes had, etc

+ Gameplay was very challenging in many areas, including complex raids that needed good coordination between the players and required all classes, often needing specific class abilities for certain bosses like for example Stance Kicking which only Monk and Ranger offered, or Curse Breaking which only Shaman and Necromancer could do, or enchanting which was limited to Psionicist, etc.

+ Very well done, large handcrafted dungeons. While many quests havent been that great, some have been good to excellent, especially in said dungeons.

+ Huge gameworld (over half an hour travel time to cross each of the three continents even on the fastest flying mounts), seamless (well, not perfect, but close enough), with realistic viewing distances; flying mounts (which sort of require seamless and realistic viewing distances); also boats and teleporters (no class specific teleports though)

+ Very complex crafting system with all kinds of resources including crafting gear, crafting tools, crafting ingredients etc; six crafter classes; many advanced crafting items such as houses and ships; later crafting with ingredient input from raids as well, which kept crafting somewhat relevant even at maxlevel; many crafter quests.

+ Many other spheres of progression, namely diplomacy (a card game), but also harvesting (i.e. collecting resources for crafting) etc.

UngoodAlBQuirkySovrath
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    EVE Online, the only "true" MMORPG ever made with the best meta gaming in the business.

UngoodAlBQuirkyScotGroqstrongChildoftheShadows

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Best is a Trick.

I mean a lot of MMO's have some really great features, but, also end up lacking in other departments, so it's hard to say which one is "BEST

With that said:

DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online): Absolute Best Character Builder, Dungeons, Raids, and Ingenious Gear Design.

This is not even an debate, this game is the absolute best in those regards, no matter how great you may think some other game may have been, DDO is better, no contest.

No joke, you can have gear that you got at level 10, still be viable at Max level, even into Epics. Because of their system of building away from BiS system, gear is it's own very dynamic mini-game in DDO.

So when it comes to your Character, when it comes to Dungeon crawling, with traps, hidden doors, monsters with special abilities and resistances, and the players needing to use tactics (Unless you are some Vet where you can face roll the dungeon, because you have ran the dungeon already well over several hundred times, which I will get into later), making sure you have counters to what you're about to face, like needing death ward to guard against being hit by a beholders Finger of Death, and all that, this game is for people that want to think about what they are about to go face, and plan for it.

Hands down, the best Instance Dungeon Running game you will ever play.

Where is lacks:

Any sense of Massiveness: that feeling of being part of a large world of other players, as almost all your game time will be spent with small groups, of 5 or 10 players, while this is super handy, as you cut down on people being assholes, and dealing with trolls, it also makes the game feel like a ARPG game where you are linked to a small group of people. While this works for a game like D&D, which is really, small groups of friends playing a game together, and they tagged that feeling spot on, it also seems to lack that sense of world, and it feels like you are just playing a game with your small network of friends.

Grinding: When people joke that they are gearing up for their next 100 runs of a Dungeon in this game, while they may make levity of it, it's not a joke that they plan to run that dungeon 100+ times for an item they want, and the vets in this game, have run these dungeons hundreds if not thousands of times, it can be very daunting to a new player to join a vet group, that chews through the content like they could do it in their sleep.

So while the game has some great features, and designs, it's hard to say that it is the BEST MMO out there, I would say, one of the better ones, and while it is showing it's age graphically, it's still a sold game all around.

The MMO's that pulled me in the most, outside DDO, are EQ, but I attribute that to being my first real MMO, and a lack of other options. GW2, just something about the game I enjoyed, I could not even put my finger on it, I just liked the game.

But overall, DDO is one of those benchmark games that no other game really has been able to rise up to meet.

KyleranAlBQuirkyAdamantine
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    So which MMORPG is in your opinion the best, any why is it the best ?

I'm glad you phrased it as 'you're opinion.'  Too many people think that what they believe is the correct answer instead of AN answer.  This is a very individual and passionate topic for a lot of folks.  Having said that, The correct answer is Vanguard Saga of Heroes and Secret World.  They weren't the best in terms of technical perfection, but they were very fun and had things which are rarer than your run of the mill fantasy MMO.
    AlBQuirkyAdamantine
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    City of Heroes for me.

Why? You can FLY in 2004! Also, the playerbase actually played like "heroes." (helpful)

Far from perfect, it grabbed hold of me with its sense of "heroic fun."

City of Villains was kind of a let down for me. I half-expected to be running around stealing purses like I saw villains do in City of Heroes, but instead it basically gangs vs gangs, faction vs faction. They called the enemies "good-guys" and we fought "the good guys." Basically a re-skinning of the base game.

It was still a fun game and I enjoyed the new archetypes and factions, but I rarely felt like a "villain."
    ScotUngoodKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2022
    Lotro; roleplaying, raids and large group, exploration, small group, story. Not better at all of those than every other MMO I have played, just the overall best.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Ungood said:
    Best is a Trick.

I mean a lot of MMO's have some really great features, but, also end up lacking in other departments, so it's hard to say which one is "BEST

With that said:

DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online): Absolute Best Character Builder, Dungeons, Raids, and Ingenious Gear Design.

This is not even an debate, this game is the absolute best in those regards, no matter how great you may think some other game may have been, DDO is better, no contest.

No joke, you can have gear that you got at level 10, still be viable at Max level, even into Epics. Because of their system of building away from BiS system, gear is it's own very dynamic mini-game in DDO.

So when it comes to your Character, when it comes to Dungeon crawling, with traps, hidden doors, monsters with special abilities and resistances, and the players needing to use tactics (Unless you are some Vet where you can face roll the dungeon, because you have ran the dungeon already well over several hundred times, which I will get into later), making sure you have counters to what you're about to face, like needing death ward to guard against being hit by a beholders Finger of Death, and all that, this game is for people that want to think about what they are about to go face, and plan for it.

Hands down, the best Instance Dungeon Running game you will ever play.

Where is lacks:

Any sense of Massiveness: that feeling of being part of a large world of other players, as almost all your game time will be spent with small groups, of 5 or 10 players, while this is super handy, as you cut down on people being assholes, and dealing with trolls, it also makes the game feel like a ARPG game where you are linked to a small group of people. While this works for a game like D&D, which is really, small groups of friends playing a game together, and they tagged that feeling spot on, it also seems to lack that sense of world, and it feels like you are just playing a game with your small network of friends.

Grinding: When people joke that they are gearing up for their next 100 runs of a Dungeon in this game, while they may make levity of it, it's not a joke that they plan to run that dungeon 100+ times for an item they want, and the vets in this game, have run these dungeons hundreds if not thousands of times, it can be very daunting to a new player to join a vet group, that chews through the content like they could do it in their sleep.

So while the game has some great features, and designs, it's hard to say that it is the BEST MMO out there, I would say, one of the better ones, and while it is showing it's age graphically, it's still a sold game all around.

The MMO's that pulled me in the most, outside DDO, are EQ, but I attribute that to being my first real MMO, and a lack of other options. GW2, just something about the game I enjoyed, I could not even put my finger on it, I just liked the game.

But overall, DDO is one of those benchmark games that no other game really has been able to rise up to meet.

@Ungood is right,

I can't remember details but D&D Online had so many hidden details that you would have had tp play to understand. 

Just a few of the many many many details I remember:
    First it had ground breaking clear voice chat, everyone used it, it was needed because of the deep communication the group need to survive. Traps were abundant and someone needed to know where they were. 

I was playing a healer in a dungeon, and a few in the group gave me instructions to NOT ENTER certain rooms or the healer would be killed instantly. People had to go out of their way to protect the healer, in some cases, the healer had to wait outside and players would have to come to my room for heals...... This type of stuff could not be done without voice. 

Their was a memorable grave yard with vampires that had the most scary theme ever in a video game. 

Their was a fire lava dungeon where you had to watch your step because the floor would collapse...... Some with good knowledge had to be in charge.  I think you had to be their  to understand the fun of working together to enjoy this one. 

This game was built with unimaginable details that truly flowed where a new player can easily play with veterans, as ling as everyone was on chat.   

Too bad, because of greed of F2P, this game got soooo butchered, it truly sucks now !!!

UngoodScotAlBQuirky
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I fully agree with @Scorchien. UO captured it all and did it practically on day 1. Meridian 59 was out at the time but I never played it. I'm speaking chiefly in terms of character development and skills - there's only so much enthusiasm that I can generate for isometric 2nd person perspective games but that's my opinion. What UO offered was completely free skill selection for your character up to the 700 point limit. Mix and match scholarly skills with melee skills and throw in something peripheral like animal taming and you had the feeling of uniqueness.

Rift somewhat captured this as well with their soul trees. Spread your 66 points wherever you wish in a hybrid build.

Combine these concepts in the Rift world and allow the points to be spread around ANY and ALL callings, not just the calling you select at character creation - fresh perspective on the UO concept 25 years later. In any case I'm sure Gamigo would not be interested.
    ScorchienUngoodAlBQuirky
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I'd break it down into categories, too many games are great at some things, others are great at other things. there is no one best.

1) best PvP -- DAOC's rvr was the best
    2) best and most immersive world -- Ryzom. Seasons, weather, day/night cycle, full sandbox, best virtual world.
    3) best overall -- Vanguard
    4) best of quick PUG's -- City of Heroes
    5) best story -- LoTRO
    UngoodKyleranAlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    DAOC
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Vanguard. I've never had the sense of discovery and beauty in any other game.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I hate to be "That Guy" in this situation, but, shouldn't the BEST MMO, you ever played, be one you still play, at least occasionally (Assuming it's still alive)

That's why I have nothing but mad respect for @Scorchien when they say UO, because they still play UO, 20+ years later, they are still rocking that game, so when they say UO is/was the best, they are one hell of a living testament to their statement

But, everyone listing MMO's they stopped playing.. Eh.. Sorry, that's a pretty bad sales pitch when you say a game is the best game, but you stopped playing it for any reason other then it's sunset.

That's like saying some Ex was the best relationship you ever had, and yet you dumped them... like WTH...
    ScorchienAbscissa15AlBQuirkyScot
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ungood said:
    I hate to be "That Guy" in this situation, but, shouldn't the BEST MMO, you ever played, be one you still play, at least occasionally (Assuming it's still alive)

That's why I have nothing but mad respect for @Scorchien when they say UO, because they still play UO, 20+ years later, they are still rocking that game, so when they say UO is/was the best, they are one hell of a living testament to their statement

But, everyone listing MMO's they stopped playing.. Eh.. Sorry, that's a pretty bad sales pitch when you say a game is the best game, but you stopped playing it for any reason other then it's sunset.

That's like saying some Ex was the best relationship you ever had, and yet you dumped them... like WTH...

Sure, I drifted.  I explored other games as I could.  But I always come back to the combo of EQ1 and LotRO.  Both of these games have changed over the years, but the cores are still there.  Sometimes you have to go out of your way to find that core, but it's still there.  Some of the changes made over the years don't interest me, but I can ignore them.  Crushing zones that require top level raid gear of the previous expansion are usually my clue to restart.

I'm no where near top level in any game, where I could actually find groups, so I am content with plugging through the journey from raw tyro to mid-level.  The remaining kernels of fun are buried there.  I may have to inject some imagination to keep things fresh, but that's what I call Role-Playing, and I enjoy it.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    They're all bad! -swings his cane around-

The only good ones were in text!

If they're so good why aren't they still around?

You young'uns and your disposable goods!

Back in my day we had to make things last.

Good MMORPGs! Humbug! They're good about as long as a carton o' milk!

We got to make private servers just to play 'em, and they still stink!
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:
    its still UO ..

Still the best MMORPG virtual world to date

Still more activities for a player than any other game on the market
    Too easy!

Even Diablo II hardcore is harder than that!

You can't even die, can you?

Looks like some kind of tutorial game or something, fighting rats that don't even hurt ya!

I saw someone playing 'classic UO'. It's for the birds, I tell ya.

If it's so good, why did they change it? Same people that made it, changed it.

Disposable goods, I tell ya! Why they make them good if they're just gonna throw them away in a year?

So I say, they never were!

And from the looks of it, they weren't!
    KyleranAlBQuirkyIselin
    Ungood said:

still play Vanilla WoW, been playing it for 17 years. I have to say their are times I cant stand it and take a break for a month or two, but yes.... it's the best, and I should count in your criteria 
    AlBQuirky
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Kyleran said:
    EVE Online, the only "true" MMORPG ever made with the best meta gaming in the business.

Everytime I see Eve im always bummed that I never jumped into it being a fan of space sci-fi.  I tried once many years after it released for a free trial but was overwhelmed with the UI.  
    AlBQuirky
    Here's how it works kiddos, if you want a virtual world you either got to go to the real one, play Second Life or play something that ain't made by corporates. I never played a virtual world MMORPG, if there ever was one they called it a mistake and change it as soon as they could! 
    AlBQuirky
    Kyleran said:

Everytime I see Eve im always bummed that I never jumped into it being a fan of space sci-fi.  I tried once many years after it released for a free trial but was overwhelmed with the UI.  
    Same here, I gave it about two hours then said %*$# this !!
    TheocritusAlBQuirky
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I cant say that I have a best mmorpg, but Ive had 3 amazing experiences,  my three great ones, for those of you that have seen Donnie Brasko movie lol.  Those games are Lineage 2, WoW,  and Rift.  The more I reflect it really didnt come down to the games but came down to who I played them with that made the lasting memory and we've all moved on.  Hence I doubt Ill have another great one.
    AlBQuirky
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Ungood said:

Actually, 4 of the 5 I picked are still running, and the fifth one was shut down. I still subscribe to Ryzom, LoTRO, and CoH and play. DAOC is just too old now, and Vanguard was shut down, unfortunately.

Ryzom and CoH both came out in 2004, and LoTRO was 2007, so they are at least 15 years old or older.
    AlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

All you get is a sword and point to the nearest monster. That's your world. That ain't realistic enough for you? C'mon we'll even bring you back to life if ya die! We'll call ya a hero! Get to be level 60! Raid, loot, kill, craft, you don't even gotta talk to no one! Just kill 'em. 'Course since no one roleplays all ya could talk about is the Bulls game anyway!

They need to make an MMORPG where all the humans are the 'monsters'. All ya can do is walk back and forth till a wild boar gores ya, then come back to life in 5 minutes so it can do it again!
    AlBQuirky
    Ungood said:

Games and people change. Sometimes in a way that makes them less likable for you. You may eventually even question whether they are still the same one you fell in love with. In that case, it is sometimes better to let them go. It does not mean they were not the best for you. Even if only during a certain period of time.
    You know, if someone told me that a burger joint was the best burger joint they ever went to, but they don't eat there anymore, because, reasons, I'm gonna be dead honest, I would not take their advice that was the best burger joint, and I would not go have a burger there.

Equally so, having someone tell me a MMO is the best MMO when they won't play it, is like having someone try to tell me the best diet plan, but they won't follow it anymore, or tell me the best gym, and they won't go to it anymore. 

When people do that, It really raises some awkward questions, the biggest one, of course being, why they won't use what they are trying to tell me is best.

The most benign reasons being that it is no longer any good, and thus no longer The Best, and that the person trying to tell it is the best, is, shall we say, lost in time, and while moved away, has not moved on, like a clingily Ex, where they dump you, but never quite go away.. Ewwww.
    AlBQuirky