Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face-to-face RP gaming?

MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
I was a bit curious about our collective habits.  So, here's a couple of questions to allow us to share our experiences with face-to-face RP gaming.
  1. How recently have you played a F2F/tabletop RP game?
  2. What game was it?
  3. How many people were in that session?
  4. Was it an on-going campaign or one-off session?
My answers:
  1. Been too long, probably around 1998.  There may have been some at a convention, but I don't remember exact details.
  2. Custom rules for a game some friends and I were developing.  Before that Harn Master and MERP/ICE.
  3. 4-7 people.  4 core, with occasional extras.
  4. Ongoing campaigns.  Last one-off I can remember was some Palladium space/SF game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

AlBQuirky

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Dang... You seem to have caught a couple of bots :(

Mendel said:
    I was a bit curious about our collective habits.  So, here's a couple of questions to allow us to share our experiences with face-to-face RP gaming.
    2. What game was it?
    My answers:
    1) Long, long ago. (2006-ish?)
    2) 4th edition D&D.
    3) 4+ DM. My high school buddy (DM) and 2 of his kids.
    4) One off.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited April 2022
    Mendel said:
    2. What game was it?

1.  Way back in 1980 when I was in the Navy on my first ship
    2.  D&D
    3. 4 of us in a static group
    4. one off

I got out of Face to Face a long time ago, but keep an eye out for it.   

Til covid hit, my local Comic Book store had space for groups to get together and play and I've watch some Sci-Fi stuff, Magic games and that group Sonar game played there.

Since they couldn't host groups anymore, some of them just moved from house to house and I got an invite in January to join a local group.

Steams Table Top Simulator shows a lot of various D&D edition groups that play using it with the computers camera feature so almost face to face.
    AlBQuirky

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Before Covid, we had a steady group of 6-8 people...We mainly played D&D or Order of the Stick.
    AlBQuirky
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited April 2022
    A few years ago, we were 3 for WoD/VtM. It was supposed to be a campaign. We stopped due to schedule issues.

Which is often the case when you have a busy life with a family and a job. And this is why MMORPGs could have been a substitute. But, in fact, in most cases, they did not.

And the same story (with different games/groups) happened from times to times over the years.

My true roleplaying period was during my high school years (I was leading the RPG club) and my college years, in which I was doing more roleplaying than college studies... During that period of time, I played almost everything.

My best memories are:
    - a 2 years VtM campaign in which I was the storyteller(weekly basis from 10PM to 6PM + buckets of coffee)
    - an incredible Nephilim campaign in which I was the player. It lasted also years.
    - an Ars Magica campaign that I loved as a player
    - most of AdC official scenarii/campaigns

and a lot of others. Special mention to
    - Cyberpunk
    - Stormbringer
    - the Dream Ouroboros

I have never been a fan of AD&D nor Pathfinder.

Post edited by eoloe on
    MendelAlBQuirky
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Pretty regular group of 7 pre-covid.  The rules varied by campaign.  The GMs were a little flighty and would often get a new shiny after a couple of months and switch up stuff.  It did help that most of the crew were game designers.  Plus I like building characters.

Well before that was a solid group of ~8 in a 15 year stint through multiple Champions campaigns.

The last year and a half or so, hooked up with an old group of  RPer friends, and we're going hardcore through a Runequest campaign with 7+/- 1.
    AlBQuirkyScot

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Pretty regular group of 7 pre-covid.  The rules varied by campaign.  The GMs were a little flighty and would often get a new shiny after a couple of months and switch up stuff.  It did help that most of the crew were game designers.  Plus I like building characters.

Well before that was a solid group of ~8 in a 15 year stint through multiple Champions campaigns.

The last year and a half or so, hooked up with an old group of  RPer friends, and we're going hardcore through a Runequest campaign with 7+/- 1.
    "It did help that most of the crew were game designers."

Too many Chefs in the Kitchen? Well if it worked for you. :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    The sad fact is that online "face to face" is replacing tabletop, this was hugely accelerated by Corvid and now players are not going back to physical meet ups. Travelling time is the most common reason.

Three years ago.
    Ars Magica
    Campaign
    MendelUngoodAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    about 2 years ago. Saw that there was a local group looking for more players, joined, and played a few times, and realized that some old dude that looked like he walked off the set of American Chopper, stuck out at the gaming table like a Nerd at a Frat Party what made it even worse, was, as opposed to playing a Barb, like everyone no doubt expected, because I looked like one in real life, I made a halfling druid.

Was kinda fun... reminded me of my youth, where I was the only Grease monkey at the Gaming Table... the more things change.. the more they stay the same.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    The Longest Running D&D game.. maybe you can reserve a spot at their table.

The 40 year DND Campaign.
    ScotAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    1. Uh, around 2015 or so I think.

2. Dont remember, though it might have been an ADnD session I remember.

3. Dont remember, though the ADnD session I remember (not sure if that really was the last time I've played) was I think 5 people + DM.

4. One-off. Not a very long adventure either. I've never done more than One-off.

AlBQuirky
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Freshman year, college

Star Wars d6 system

On-going campaign
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance