Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the Ashes of Creation Devs Walk You Through the Alpha Two Character Creator | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageLet the Ashes of Creation Devs Walk You Through the Alpha Two Character Creator | MMORPG.com

The Ashes of Creation team showed off a first look at the alpha two character creator, with just some of the many, many options they're planning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I get confused with his one because Stephen misdirects a lot, but isn't this now in a non-NDA state? I thought it dropped last summer or some such... yet I do not see a lot of (any really) videos of players. After all this time I'd much rather see that stuff (real gameplay) than more demonstrations of art...

I mean, those can be OK for sure... but after all this time it doesn't do much for me personally... and I am a guy that can spend hours at character creation while friends are screaming at me to get in the game.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    slapshot, the NDA for ashes has dropped. Currently they finished alpha-1 and they went silent to work on Alpha-2...once alpha-2 is out you can see players streaming and talking about it. Yes, it's a quiet period, nothing we can do about it.

there is no date for Alpha-2 yet, so lets wait and see what they are working on.
    Slapshot1188Tokken[Deleted User]ultimateduck
    slapshot, the NDA for ashes has dropped. Currently they finished alpha-1 and they went silent to work on Alpha-2...once alpha-2 is out you can see players streaming and talking about it. Yes, it's a quiet period, nothing we can do about it.

there is no date for Alpha-2 yet, so lets wait and see what they are working on.
    So no testing since last summer?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275

Not trying to be a smartass for once, but I would figure they have PR or a community manager to get little tidbits of knowledge out. Nowadays, going silent seems like a planned move, and I don't like the implications of that.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • sabrefoxxsabrefoxx Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I'd bet a million dollars their super awesome character creator wont have more than 1 or 2 afro hairstyles.
    RyukanMcSleazNanfoodle

sabrefoxx said:

I'd bet a million dollars their super awesome character creator wont have more than 1 or 2 afro hairstyles.

I do not know the answer to that but be careful.. since the game is years from launch Stephen could always take you up on the bet and add a few more.

I DO know they have a "Crotch" slider... so.. umm.. yeah.. I guess that's what they are focused on.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]TacticalZombehultimateduckGiarclenMcSleaz

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301

This is public knowledge...obviously there is internal testing amongst their devs and such...do you mean testing for the public and backers? No, there is no testing....Alpha-2 will be the next official testing phase (i'm not including spot testing and testing my high tier pledges such as phoenix initiative)
    [Deleted User]

This is public knowledge...obviously there is internal testing amongst their devs and such...do you mean testing for the public and backers? No, there is no testing....Alpha-2 will be the next official testing phase (i'm not including spot testing and testing my high tier pledges such as phoenix initiative)
    But the "spot testers" and "high tier" pledges are testing now?  And can post about it?

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited April 2022

sabrefoxx said:

Hair has always puzzled me when there is such a robust facial morph tool. BDO you can do a few things starting with a "style" then play with length. Why not have a basic afro or bowel cut with "morph" points like the face and allow people to customize from there?
    [Deleted User]McSleaz
  • SaruomoSaruomo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Good luck with running an mmorpg with thousands of players on UE5 which nobody has or will ever attempt other than the naive and scammers. This game will never see the light of day without major compromising fundamental changes.
    MensurMallyx
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    edited April 2022
    I wish them all the best. But man- the Director is an arrogant cunt!
    LinifSlapshot1188

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Saruomo said:
    Good luck with running an mmorpg with thousands of players on UE5 which nobody has or will ever attempt other than the naive and scammers. This game will never see the light of day without major compromising fundamental changes.
    But what are your thoughts on New World and Lost Ark?
    [Deleted User]Valentina
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

BLNX said:

Saruomo said:

But what are your thoughts on New World and Lost Ark?

I don't know about others thoughts, but New World doesn't run on UE5 at all (on any version of UE for that matter).
    Lost Ark doesn't run on UE5 either, but on UE3 (with very vague rumors of migrating to UE4),
    doesn't have thousands of players in the same area as it dinamically spawns new instances of each map as they fill up (channels).

So... yeah. Nobody managed to develop a non-instanced, non-layered MMO with large number of players in the same zone on any version of UE to this day.
    Remali
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Mensur said:
    There's something roleplay-ish and somewhat satisfying about an account with the pfp of Bronn saying this, lol.
    Mensur[Deleted User]Slapshot1188jondifool
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

Linif said:

Mensur said:

There's something roleplay-ish and somewhat satisfying about an account with the pfp of Bronn saying this, lol.

:-) <3 I just dont like the Director. He was extremely of putting in the previous stream to the point where it literally was unwatchable.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Linif

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• 2TonGamer2TonGamer Member UncommonPosts: 50

sabrefoxx said:

I do not know the answer to that but be careful.. since the game is years from launch Stephen could always take you up on the bet and add a few more.

I DO know they have a "Crotch" slider... so.. umm.. yeah.. I guess that's what they are focused on.

That's not fair, even Steven was like come on guys, that is a terrible name...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

sabrefoxx said:

Do tell me that is an early April's fool, otherwise the studio is taking the piss. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited April 2022
    I it just me, or do those graphics just look... Really strange? I can't quite pin it down. I really wish they'd have done something more distinct or took a really hard line on a particular sort of style. Right now it looks a little uncanny valley, but also in a state where I think the game will not age particularly well as the years ago on. Kind of like EQ2. It's focused on technical graphics versus having a really fantastic looking art direction or style. Which is a shame.
    Post edited by Ridrith on
    I like to complain about games.
    Mensur said:

Linif said:

Mensur said:

:-) <3 I just dont like the Director. He was extremely of putting in the previous stream to the point where it literally was unwatchable.
    I would not trust him to wash my car.  He might somehow deliver a game, but I still wouldn't trust him enough to let him squeegee my windows clean.
    ScotMensur

Scot said:

sabrefoxx said:

Do tell me that is an early April's fool, otherwise the studio is taking the piss. :)
    Not a joke as far as I know.  It's literally shown in the character creation video

[Deleted User]

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320

Scot said:

sabrefoxx said:

Not a joke as far as I know.  It's literally shown in the character creation video

Yeah it's real. It looks really good!
    Slapshot1188
  • SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Eyes seem a bit strange. Not sure what it is.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

Eyes seem a bit strange. Not sure what it is.

There's minor "idle" motions the character has, plus moving background, but no motion to the eyes, giving it a dead-eyed look.
    Slapshot1188OldKingLog
  • jungmtsjungmts Member UncommonPosts: 42
    You guys should stop trolling and calm down. They have been very consistent with showing progress updates, and things they've shown have turned out to work quite well. I don't get why people have to criticize the character creator when it's already better than most MMORPGs and even brings innovations. Their game is very ambitious though so people should be cautious, but no need to troll.
    Valentina
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    jungmts said:
    You guys should stop trolling and calm down. They have been very consistent with showing progress updates, and things they've shown have turned out to work quite well. I don't get why people have to criticize the character creator when it's already better than most MMORPGs and even brings innovations. Their game is very ambitious though so people should be cautious, but no need to troll.
    Welcome to MMORPG.com, where the community generally has nothing positive to say about almost anything, ever.
    Slapshot1188