Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over $625 in Cryptocurrency Stolen in Axie Infinity Hack, Devs Vow to Reimburse or Recover Funds | M

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageOver $625 in Cryptocurrency Stolen in Axie Infinity Hack, Devs Vow to Reimburse or Recover Funds | MMORPG.com

The blockchain gaming landscape is still evolving, and so are security concerns. A hack of Axie Infinity, which launches in alpha next week, has led to over $625 million in stolen cryptocurrency.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Can't wait for the Riffs by Raph to explain how loss in crypto metaverse gaming is a good thing for player experiences and community building.
    IselinTillerMcSleazChampieAsm0deusScot
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited March 2022
    It was BC Bully... He is still mad over his MMORPG.com ban.
    TheDalaiBombaKyleranMcSleazChampieAsm0deusScotOldKingLog[Deleted User]WalkinGlenn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Without the word "million" in the title, this sounds like a very underwhelming article. Also the second one about it.
    QuizzicalKyleranSlapshot1188LeiHngWeiRyukan[Deleted User]
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Tiller said:
    It was BC Bully... He is still mad over his MMORPG.com ban.

I was thinking someone involved with CoE or SC...  but BCBully could fit, too.  Stretch goals for everyone!!!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Wait a company had over $600 million stolen from a game that isn't even in alpha yet?
    KyleranVercinmeerclarLeiHngWei
    edited March 2022

Quizzical said:

Wait a company had over $600 million stolen from a game that isn't even in alpha yet?

Yeah, sounds like something ripe for investigation.
    McSleaz
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    BLNX said:
    Without the word "million" in the title, this sounds like a very underwhelming article. Also the second one about it.

Didn't you know that the most interesting content on mmorpg.com is written by the community? Even the staff writers agree - "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and all that.

BLNXKyleran[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    BLNX said:
    I just figured that was what Axel Infinity crypto was now worth after being hacked.

:D 
    BLNX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Wowee! So first your avatar can get groped by perverts in the Metaverse, and now you can get robbed and have all of your precious shit stolen in the blockchain gamingverse!! OMG! It really is just like real life!!
    BLNXMcSleaz
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    ..and there are people who say "Cryptos are safer than Banks!!"

Yup! :)
    McSleazalin1209Calavry

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

In case you want more proof of the insanity of cryptocurrencies, the price of Axie Infinity tokens is actually up over the course of the last month, in spite of the hack.
    TheDalaiBombaVercinScot[Deleted User]
  • VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Look up Chumbi Valley/( zelda meets pokemon) if you want to see how did this pre-alpha sales crap really goes. That game has over 250,000 followers on their discord. Some of their "chumbi" are selling for upwards of 10 million dollars. This is a game that has no actual game yet, all they have is these nft chumbi they are selling. This has gotten so far out of hand.

Also the game Sandbox. I was the PRE ALPHA ACCESS and they are selling land spots for 11,000$.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Vercin said:

Look up Chumbi Valley/( zelda meets pokemon) if you want to see how did this pre-alpha sales crap really goes. That game has over 250,000 followers on their discord. Some of their "chumbi" are selling for upwards of 10 million dollars. This is a game that has no actual game yet, all they have is these nft chumbi they are selling. This has gotten so far out of hand.

Also the game Sandbox. I was the PRE ALPHA ACCESS and they are selling land spots for 11,000$.

How do you feel it's gotten out of hand? I feel it rather absurd, but if somebody has $10 million to spend on something like that what difference does it make. People spend all kinds of money on things I feel absurd on a routine basis. Why is this out of hand more so than gem-encrusted, solid gold toilet seats or the like?
    Iselin
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited April 2022

IceAge said:

..and there are people who say "Cryptos are safer than Banks!!"

Yup! :)

well not really, if someone has more hash power something like above 50% then you can pretty much said that your "balance" is the right one. that's in a decentralize system. in a token system which is more centralized, it's much more vulnerable, because you don't have that much computing power, it's hardly be called cryptocurrency. shrug, People might easily be duped into "crypto" because of the hype.
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493

Vercin said:

How do you feel it's gotten out of hand? I feel it rather absurd, but if somebody has $10 million to spend on something like that what difference does it make. People spend all kinds of money on things I feel absurd on a routine basis. Why is this out of hand more so than gem-encrusted, solid gold toilet seats or the like?
    I don't think he's implying it is more so.  Gem-encrusted solid gold toilet seats are also a ridiculous use of money.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Vercin said:

I don't think he's implying it is more so.  Gem-encrusted solid gold toilet seats are also a ridiculous use of money.

Gems being very itchy and all -- ridiculous. impractical, and irritating.

TheDalaiBomba

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Vercin said:

Can someoe make money despite the game being released? If so then it's really less of a "game" and more of "just another type of investment."

In which case, If someone has 10 million to spend they might just be looking at it as an investment.

Not my type of investment but neither are NFT's.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Vercin said:

Because it's our hobby and we care about it when scammers and sleaze bags pervert gaming. Simple as that.

Slapshot1188ScotTheDalaiBomba[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Iselin said:

Vercin said:

Because it's our hobby and we care about it when scammers and sleaze bags pervert gaming. Simple as that.

Yup.  I wish these things happened in a vacuum but they do not.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Here's a poor schmoo digging through a landfill looking for $350M lost on a hard drive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/tstzdj/damn_that_shit_must_hurt/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
    maskedweasel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Quizzical said:
    The crypto stolen was (primarily) ETH. It was part of a smart contract used to provide liquidity as part of a bridge between the Ronin and ETH networks. Several bad security choices resulted in a hacker being able to get access, then social engineer themselves into a position where they controlled over 51% of the network, and used that to transfer the ETH out of the contract, and into their wallet.

This is really money that was put in by investors to earn revenue by providing liquidity.  It has caused some inconvenience to the playerbase, but has not caused any of them to take any direct loss (yet). It isn't a hit against the game, but rather a hit against the developer (lack of faith) and their investors.

We all know that eventually this cost will be passed on to the consumer, but for now, there really isnt any effect being felt by the playerbase. In fact, the game is currently prepping for a soft launch of its newest version, and will use this period to make any adjustments necessary for a full retail launch (and mass market approach with F2P).
    SovrathKyleran[Deleted User]

Vercin said:

A lot of the people putting stuff into crypto think it's an investment.  They could be putting money into it that they can't afford to lose.  What happens when they lose it?
    Iselin said:

Vercin said:

Yup.  I wish these things happened in a vacuum but they do not.  
    If the scammers were in a vacuum, then they'd quickly die from the lack of air pressure.  That would solve the problem.
    TheDalaiBombaSlapshot1188
    Wargfoot said:
    Nobody is actually paying that much for those items.
    It is called "shilling" - it is a trick as old as money.

Agree, the people paying and playing are self hyping something that has no real hype beyond it's tiny playerbase; just like SC.
    SWG Bloodfin vet