Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview: Raph Koster on The Metaverse, Cloud Native Gaming and Playable Worlds' Project | MMORPG.c

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    More words of inspired drivel from the man who hasn't shut up since being fired from Star Wars Galaxies, yet has managed to make nothing since then despite all his "knowledge".

Well he made Meta-place, which wasn't a game, and flopped, but he thinks it didn't flop because after it flopped he sold of some of the source code to be used in a game for kids that was actually successful. "Hey look I made a paper airplane sorta fly, therefore real airplanes are because of me".
    Champie
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Quizzical said:
    "Due to the cloud-native architecture, players will see numerous benefits, like greater security and the absence of enormous downloads or patches. Cloud-native gaming isn't perfect, there will be some minor, but inherent problems, such as increased latency, but Koster believes the benefits of a cloud-native approach outweigh the problems players often have when games are largely kept client-side."

That sure makes it sound like the game is going to rendered remotely and then streamed to you, rather than being rendered locally. If you know that that is how a game is going to be rendered, there are some things that you can do to make it less bad than it would otherwise be. The question is whether they'll build the game around needing to make streaming not be terrible. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd bet on an answer of "no".

To me, the render-centrally-streaming-download seems to take away my ability to control various features on the video.  For instance, I routinely turn off shadows on a game after I've sat through the 'introduction' movie once.  The shadows just distract me and interfere with my vision.  Can someone tell me exactly how downloading a video stream is going to support that?

Taking away the customer's ability to customize the experience doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Mendel said:
    Quizzical said:
    "Due to the cloud-native architecture, players will see numerous benefits, like greater security and the absence of enormous downloads or patches. Cloud-native gaming isn't perfect, there will be some minor, but inherent problems, such as increased latency, but Koster believes the benefits of a cloud-native approach outweigh the problems players often have when games are largely kept client-side."

That sure makes it sound like the game is going to rendered remotely and then streamed to you, rather than being rendered locally. If you know that that is how a game is going to be rendered, there are some things that you can do to make it less bad than it would otherwise be. The question is whether they'll build the game around needing to make streaming not be terrible. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd bet on an answer of "no".

To me, the render-centrally-streaming-download seems to take away my ability to control various features on the video.  For instance, I routinely turn off shadows on a game after I've sat through the 'introduction' movie once.  The shadows just distract me and interfere with my vision.  Can someone tell me exactly how downloading a video stream is going to support that?

Taking away the customer's ability to customize the experience doesn't seem like a very good idea.

IT depends on the developer. For example, services like GeForce Now still let you fiddle with the settings. Granted the games you're streaming aren't cloud native, but I would assume developers would still want to allow the ability to remove some visual features because it can assist in the amount of processing they have to do on their end, and it can help reduce the connection requirement for streaming a little. 
    [Deleted User]TheDalaiBomba

• FunkyMunky42FunkyMunky42 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Right now, the metaverse is nothing more than corporations attempts to advertise. It will allow them to advert game A in Game B while you're playing game B.

None of the companies triumphing metaverse right now are talking about a global concept. Their talking about their "own" metaverse, Just a Virtual Game launcher inside the game your already playing.

Just more marketing junk. Like we need Corporations and governments to have more intrusion in our lives.
    OldKingLogkjempff
    Mendel said:
    Quizzical said:

IT depends on the developer. For example, services like GeForce Now still let you fiddle with the settings. Granted the games you're streaming aren't cloud native, but I would assume developers would still want to allow the ability to remove some visual features because it can assist in the amount of processing they have to do on their end, and it can help reduce the connection requirement for streaming a little. 

It seems that allowing different users to set individualized display settings would require the server to render a scene multiple times, 1 for each unique set of display settings across all users of the application.  To me, that puts more processing/rendering work on the server.

Champie

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Quizzical said:

It seems that allowing different users to set individualized display settings would require the server to render a scene multiple times, 1 for each unique set of display settings across all users of the application.  To me, that puts more processing/rendering work on the server.

Not really. If you consider that everything is only scaling down and not scaling up. For example, a service like stadia doesn't give you access to make many choices in what you can do with the visuals, but no matter what it HAS to be scalable because internet connections fluctuate, and virtual systems aren't infallible, they can run into issues with hitching too. 

Usually the main factor is compression and how that can change what you see. It doesn't necessarily take anything off of the backend system, but on the user end you can see massive visual changes. 

I'm basing a lot of this off of current game streaming though. Cloud native games are probably a different animal. They build them with streaming in mind instead of streaming a game made to run locally, so I would suspect that there are a lot of tricks they can put in place to do this more efficiently. 

I'm with you, I personally don't like shadows a lot of the time, it can get distracting on some games, so while it may not be necessary for them to allow players to tune the visuals, it certainly would be one of those accessibility aspects that would go a long way to making players happy. 

Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Quizzical said:

Not really. If you consider that everything is only scaling down and not scaling up. For example, a service like stadia doesn't give you access to make many choices in what you can do with the visuals, but no matter what it HAS to be scalable because internet connections fluctuate, and virtual systems aren't infallible, they can run into issues with hitching too. 

Usually the main factor is compression and how that can change what you see. It doesn't necessarily take anything off of the backend system, but on the user end you can see massive visual changes. 

I'm basing a lot of this off of current game streaming though. Cloud native games are probably a different animal. They build them with streaming in mind instead of streaming a game made to run locally, so I would suspect that there are a lot of tricks they can put in place to do this more efficiently. 

I'm with you, I personally don't like shadows a lot of the time, it can get distracting on some games, so while it may not be necessary for them to allow players to tune the visuals, it certainly would be one of those accessibility aspects that would go a long way to making players happy. 

How is anyone planning to deal with rendering of multiple graphics settings.  Take Lost Arc for instance.  It has Quality settings for Shadow, Character, Texture, and Particle, each with 4 different settings.  That alone is 128 setting combinations, that would need to be rendered.

Is a streaming game going to expect me to take whatever image quality as everyone else?  How is that in any way going to accommodate the variety of graphic cards available without being unusable on older systems?  I could see that working for consoles where there is more likelihood of compatible display systems, but not PCs with such a wide array of video cards.

Taking away the customization of gaming options will have a significant impact on the PC gaming customer.

Champie

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Raph Koster defends the Metaverse now ?

Its simply a completely retarded idea by an evil company, born out of the panic that Facebook is starting to fail.