Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hogarts Legacy 14 min Reveal - Impressions

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    I've seen worse. Might be good.

Nevermind. They replaced John Cleese as Headless Nick.

I hope this bombs.
    yeah, not sure why they did that. Maybe he charged too much.
    He still does it in ESO although it's just a few new lines here and there when Cadwell makes a guest appearance in a new quest or zone.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited March 2022
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    watching this and having the narrator talk about your "classes" makes me wonder if this will just be a "college simulator" and you'll have to take tests and write papers and actually get passing grades ....

"but I want to fight the goblins!!!!"

"sorry, your herbology grades are way down and you have finals in a week, start hitting the  books ... "
    We have plenty of games in a school setting. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Persona, and the aforementioned FE3H. 

I picture this being pretty Persona-like.
    Bully is another game that made going to school seem like a true adventure.  With the IP, the shenanigans can get even crazier for this game.

I'm hyped.

Anyone remember in FFX how there was a whole minigame system designed around Blitzball??  I want a modern version of that here for Quidditch.  :salivate:
    Scotharken33
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2022
    One of the things I'm really concerned about, is how dumb the enemy AI looks... footage from the trailer looked like even some of the boss fights look simplistic (and in enemy groups, the others just wait to attack till you've basically dueled 1 at a time).

Maybe they want 8 year olds to be able play, that's fine... but if there are more difficult modes, I hope it is with actual advanced AI mechanics... not just adding hit points and damage(which is lame when most games do this IMO).
    Scotharken33
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    One of the things I'm really concerned about, is how dumb the enemy AI looks... footage from the trailer looked like even some of the boss fights look simplistic (and in enemy groups, the others just wait to attack till you've basically dueled 1 at a time).

Maybe they want 8 year olds to be able play, that's fine... but if there are more difficult modes, I hope it is with actual advanced AI mechanics... not just adding hit points and damage(which is lame when most games do this IMO).
    You have a raised a real question here, what is the age range being aimed for? Now if they follow the standard MMO business strategy supposedly all ages will want to play, 'the everyone' approach. But some MMO like games are made for a younger audience could this be one?
  • harken33harken33 Member UncommonPosts: 153

I share your concern but am hoping they were showing it more on some kind of *story mode* difficulty so the video wasn’t overwhelming.  

From what I have read there are going to be difficulty levels so you can play at your own challenge level. Many series do that these days, Tales of Arise for example ranges from a Very easy setting for those that just want to enjoy the story / explore the world and not have to think too much about combat (basically mash your way through fights) to a Chaos setting where not utilizing proper strategy / counters for enemy types can wipe the party even on trash mobs.

This is from the PlayStation Blog website from Chandler Wood the lead community Manager posted on March 17th 2022.

“As a gamer who likes a bit of a challenge myself, I’m happy to say that we’ve been working hard to make sure combat in Hogwarts Legacy has a depth and challenge for players who want it. Whether you just want to experience the story or make every swish and flick of your wand matter, a range of difficulty options will be available to meet various skill levels enabling players to experience the game in a way most enjoyable to them.”

They are rating this as 16+ for age range so they should give some harder options rather than say a Lego style difficulty rated 7+.

As for the post about Blitzball in FFX, i remember the many hours getting the best players, ranking them up in league play. Would be awesome if they had a similar minigame for Quidditch.

TwistedSister77TheDalaiBomba
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Scot said:

You have a raised a real question here, what is the age range being aimed for? Now if they follow the standard MMO business strategy supposedly all ages will want to play, 'the everyone' approach. But some MMO like games are made for a younger audience could this be one?
    I doubt they'd aim Harry Potter game for a younger audience. The people who liked either books or movies are already adults.
    ArglebargleScot

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    harken33 said:

I share your concern but am hoping they were showing it more on some kind of *story mode* difficulty so the video wasn’t overwhelming.  

From what I have read there are going to be difficulty levels so you can play at your own challenge level. Many series do that these days, Tales of Arise for example ranges from a Very easy setting for those that just want to enjoy the story / explore the world and not have to think too much about combat (basically mash your way through fights) to a Chaos setting where not utilizing proper strategy / counters for enemy types can wipe the party even on trash mobs.

This is from the PlayStation Blog website from Chandler Wood the lead community Manager posted on March 17th 2022.

“As a gamer who likes a bit of a challenge myself, I’m happy to say that we’ve been working hard to make sure combat in Hogwarts Legacy has a depth and challenge for players who want it. Whether you just want to experience the story or make every swish and flick of your wand matter, a range of difficulty options will be available to meet various skill levels enabling players to experience the game in a way most enjoyable to them.”

They are rating this as 16+ for age range so they should give some harder options rather than say a Lego style difficulty rated 7+.

As for the post about Blitzball in FFX, i remember the many hours getting the best players, ranking them up in league play. Would be awesome if they had a similar minigame for Quidditch.

Make Quidditch a side-game that you can also play on a mobile device.
    harken33

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2022
    I know this is a solo game, but I think it would add much more longevity if they added multiplayer instance lobby games:

- Grouping of players for unique intanced multiplayer dungeons 

- Replay the epic battle of Hogwarts as a team vs enemy AI (and another version where both sides are players).  Since a lobby gamemode, does not interfere with the solo story/lore.

- PvP dueling and group fights

-Lobby Quidditch matches (premade and solo Pugs... even with rankings).

-Trading lobby (add super rares into the game, like Diablo 2 had trading servers for these) - set in Diagan Alley.

[Deleted User]
  • harken33harken33 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    olepi said

Make Quidditch a side-game that you can also play on a mobile device.
    After stumbling around their website I think they are already making a Mobile game along that line although not attached to Hogwarts Legacy. I think it is called Magic awakened or something like that.

It seems to be an online card collecting RPG, with duels / group matches, shops in Diagan Alley, and of course Quidditch. Seems very basic when compared to Hogwarts Legacy but will no doubt have plently of Microtransactions.

It is suprising there is no Quidditch game, something like  rocket league. Seems like it would be profitable

[Deleted User]TheDalaiBomba
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    I miss that horse digging his own crap emoticon from the old forums...
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I miss that horse digging his own crap emoticon from the old forums...
    Dancing Banana forever!
    The_Korrigan

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I know this is a solo game, but I think it would add much more longevity if they added multiplayer instance lobby games:

- Grouping of players for unique intanced multiplayer dungeons 

- Replay the epic battle of Hogwarts as a team vs enemy AI (and another version where both sides are players).  Since a lobby gamemode, does not interfere with the solo story/lore.

- PvP dueling and group fights

-Lobby Quidditch matches (premade and solo Pugs... even with rankings).

-Trading lobby (add super rares into the game, like Diablo 2 had trading servers for these) - set in Diagan Alley.

I have to say I am increasingly of the opinion that multiplayer is an unvoiced reason for devs not bothering much with depth of solo play. That's hardly new, but it has become increasingly common and I see review scores which are unwarranted because of this. Grim Dawn springs to mind.