Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This site has become another MOP

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
edited March 2022 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Over on Massively OP they don't have open forums, rather posters can only discuss the news stories or topics the site's staff members make available, which rapidly age from view.

I don't care for their format or the heavy handed and often snarky moderation which rarely permits discussions between posters, it's more of a post your own thoughts and move on situation.

Looking at the Pub today I noticed a thread I created almost a month ago was still on the first page.  There was a time when the Pub was a happening place, with people creating new topics of discussion on a regular basis.  

I used to often check not only the "hot topics" but Pub and even game forums I was particularly interested in, but not so much anymore.

This is partly due to the shit searching tools, at least on my Samsung phone, the only way to get to a specific game forum I've found is to scroll page by page one at a time starting from the "A's" downward.

Makes posting in a game forum very painful unless I can find one in recent posts which I can quickly link to, so I often don't bother.

There's other reasons as well, but I'll leave off for now.

Finally, I noticed today the forum front page had nothing but site created News Stories, so apparently it's become just like MOP after all.

It's not just the MMORPG genre which is reeling these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

UngoodMendelOldKingLogTruvidiennIceAgeSpectralHunterAmarantharPoorOld_GamerGentScotGreatnessand 6 others.

Comments

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    From my viewpoint: only so many times you can bemoan the lack of innovation in a genre so stagnant.

Even the features on these sites have expanded beyond MMORPG games, because the industry just isn't giving us much to talk about.
    UngoodhupaKyleranMadBomber13TheocrituseoloeAmarantharAlBQuirky
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Wel the mmorpg genre is more or less dead, which is why there's not alot of talk here.

The genre has transformed to games you can play for decades to have fun until the next big thing, like it was a sequel to call of duty. 
    KyleranAlBQuirkyUtinni
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Kyleran said:
    Over on Massively OP they don't have open forums, rather posters can only discuss the news stories or topics the site's staff members make available, which rapidly age from view.

I don't care for their format or the heavy handed and often snarky moderation which rarely permits discussions between posters, it's more of a post your own thoughts and move on situation.

Looking at the Pub today I noticed a thread I created almost a month ago was still on the first page.  There was a time when the Pub was a happening place, with people creating new topics of discussion on a regular basis.  

I used to often check not only the "hot topics" but Pub and even game forums I was particularly interested in, but not so much anymore.

This is partly due to the shit searching tools, at least on my Samsung phone, the only way to get to a specific game forum I've found is to scroll page by page one at a time starting from the "A's" downward.

Makes posting in a game forum very painful unless I can find one in recent posts which I can quickly link to, so I often don't bother.

Finally, I noticed today the forum front page had nothing but site created News Stories, so apparently it's become just like MOP after all.

On PC at least, there's a search bar under the "Game Forums" header that you can enter a game title and go to that particular forum.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564

Sadly the web forum format is dying out as its usurped by less attention span heavy replacements. People want their information in 280 character or less nibbles and anything else is just too much effort. Welcome to the beginning of Idiocracy.

UngoodKidRiskMendelMadBomber13SovrathWalkinGlennGreatnessAlBQuirkykeinersonersterSequriemand 1 other.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    There is a reason they stopped showing the site traffic ..

I wonder why ..
    UngoodOldKingLog[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

SHUT UP SCOR ... er no wait...

I imagine the mass bannings of the past year or so haven't helped with the population.
    BLNXKyleran[Deleted User]KidRiskBrainyUngoodAlBQuirky
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    From my viewpoint: only so many times you can bemoan the lack of innovation in a genre so stagnant.

Even the features on these sites have expanded beyond MMORPG games, because the industry just isn't giving us much to talk about.

Sadly the web forum format is dying out as its usurped by less attention span heavy replacements. People want their information in 280 character or less nibbles and anything else is just too much effort. Welcome to the beginning of Idiocracy.

Individual site forums are dying because of better options like Discord and reddit. Even forums on a games official site are quieter than ever before as Discord gives a one stop option to talk to the larger audience. Post here and you are only reaching the regulars, post on Discord or Reddit and you are reaching so many more people, making it more likely someone will agree with what you have to say and reaffirm your purpose for existing.
    IselinOldKingLogircaddictsLackingMMOAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Splattr said:
    ... post on Discord or Reddit and you are reaching so many more people, making it more likely someone will agree with what you have to say and reaffirm your purpose for existing.
    That was good. Are you a writer or something? :)
    OldKingLogThe_KorriganAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Forgrimm said:
    Kyleran said:

On PC at least, there's a search bar under the "Game Forums" header that you can enter a game title and go to that particular forum.
    Yeah, I've seen that, but doesn't appear to exist for the Android client version, which is where I do most of my trolling, err, I mean posting. B;)

Splattr said:

Point well taken.

Individual site forums are dying because of better options like Discord and reddit. .
    While I understand Discord's benefits, it is lacking in some ways compared to forums IMO, personal preference I guess.

I take issue with the idea reddit is an improvement, seems mostly like a less feature rich version of this site's Vanilla client so I do not understand why it is more popular with the masses.

There's plenty of conversations going on in the reddit MMORPG site, and some game specific subs (ESO, LA, even FO 76) are rocking with regular conversation, so why drives people away from this site or format?

Don't say moderation, well certainly not the lack of it as many subs have fairly draconian moderators who operate with  no real authority one can appeal their decisions to, which even this site offers.

MendelAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2022
    Splattr said:

Individual site forums are dying because of better options like Discord and reddit. Even forums on a games official site are quieter than ever before as Discord gives a one stop option to talk to the larger audience. Post here and you are only reaching the regulars, post on Discord or Reddit and you are reaching so many more people, making it more likely someone will agree with what you have to say and reaffirm your purpose for existing.

Discord is interesting, but I've always found Reddit to be complete festering shithole. Post any thought counter to the status quo and watch your post be downvoted to oblivion. Not to mention the incestuous and vain hydra of moderators with delusions of grandeur. One nice little Brit comedy sharing subreddit recently got nuked to oblivion when the head mod got banned, used a second account with mod rights to lock out everyone else, and then wipe the whole group. A total clusterfuck thanks to one egotistical prick.

Oh well I've been around a long time and seen internet communities evolve, starting with brobdingnagian and thunderous teletype machines, then Usenet and dial up BBS's, the first graphical internet (anyone remember Mosaic?), Prodigy, Compuserve, AOL, Geocities, Yahoo, Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, Ventrillo, Mumble, Teamspeak, Overwolf, Discord, Meta etc. These forums are just another step along the road to what the internet of tomorrow will be, so unfortunately like the dinosaurs, one day will become extinct. Right now we're in the twilight hours and very much resemble the aforementioned doomed dinos. We've noticed that bright spot in the sky that's getting bigger, and are getting a bit worried, yet none of us has fuck all of an idea of what to do about it. Or what happens next.

KyleranircaddictsAlBQuirkySequriemTuor7
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    just a dead genre thats all. The tech never really got any better, very low innovation in the games and too much focus on monetization. 

This place reminds me of an old tavern. 
    TheDalaiBombaeoloeAmarantharAlBQuirky
    .05 of a second to midnight
    edited March 2022
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

I imagine the mass bannings of the past year or so haven't helped with the population.

Im sure it did not help , But when Mike and Sue left traffic was already on a sharp decline , barely hitting 1500 a day concurrent .. When they made the move to the new format a couple years later it was barley able to hit 1000 concurrent , Thats when they removed the traffic monitor ..

I would giess now that they struggle to reach 700 .. staying somewhere between 400-700 most days ..
    KyleranOldKingLog[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

I take issue with the idea reddit is an improvement, seems mostly like a less feature rich version of this site's Vanilla client so I do not understand why it is more popular with the masses.

I don't understand the appeal of reddit. It looks like a mess.

KyleranTheocritusircaddictsAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

Im sure it did not help , But when Mike and Sue left traffic was already on a sharp decline , barely hitting 1500 a day concurrent .. When they made the move to the new format a couple years later it was barley able to hit 1000 concurrent , Thats when they removed the traffic monitor ..

I would giess now that they struggle to reach 700 .. staying somewhere between 400-700 most days ..
    Depends who you want to believe. According to site traffic analytics sites it seems this site gets around 40k visits a day, roughly 1.2 - 1.4 million a month. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AmarantharAlBQuirky

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

Depends who you want to believe. According to site traffic analytics sites it seems this site gets around 40k visits a day, roughly 1.2 - 1.4 million a month. 
    Semrush (the best in the biz) stats put them well over 2 million visits in Feb 2022 with 1.6 million being unique visitors 
    Clearly a much smaller subset bothers to check out the forums, even less who bother to create an account or post.

I'm the same way with most other gaming sites such as Eurogamer.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    One of my favorite areas here used to be the LFGame section....THere used to be all kinds of interesting things there, then all of a sudden it just died (years ago now).....It's too bad because I found several good games there and tried games I might not normally have....Like others are saying though, the MMORPG industry is just a shamble of what it used to be....It would be like discussing rock music without going back 40-50 years.....
    maskedweaselMendelAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Even if you might notice that social media sites have greatly increased the propensity for people to simply say or show or just about do anything which in the past have been less so this does not extend to well thought out and written pieces. 

You could theoretically as a result of increased exposure share your thoughts but so much of it just plain rubbish. Most people have no inclination to actually spend time writing things and are diffident because it can come under scrutiny and scorn. Those who do so actually are a special breed and as time goes on less inclined to write or waste their time doing so. As they leave so too does the frequency of those thoughts being expressed.
    maskedweaselKylerancheyaneAlBQuirky

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    im old skool and i dont like discord and really dont like reddit. Reddit is is a popularity contest only and its hard to get good information since various memes are always the most popular. 

Discord is better than reddit but on a busy discord the posts fly off into the darkness too quickly and youll only ever get "right now" for the most part. 

neither can beat good old forums but the kids these days have no attention span and cant focus on anything for more than a couple of seconds which reddit and discord both reinforce by design. 
    maskedweaselKyleranMendelAlBQuirky
    .05 of a second to midnight
    edited March 2022
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

Which works out to the "concurrent" numbers i gave ..

down 6% from last month

down 403 spots in country from last month

down 25 spots in catergory from last month ..

To put this perspective Nep-Pets has over 2 Trillion lifetime visits

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

down 6% from last month

But it's not a steady decline, it was a single month decline too. So that's a monthly fluctuation. 

Plus concurrency is a weird way to quantify people visiting the site. 40k daily is about 1700 per hour, what are we looking for, average concurrent users per minute? I mean if we drill it down to 27 people on site per minute, or half a person a second I guess it could paint a very weird picture of site activity. 

From a forum goers perspective I actually feel like we've ha an uptick over the past few months. Especially with the releases in February. 
    AlBQuirky

edited March 2022
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

down 6% from last month

But it's not a steady decline, it was a single month decline too. So that's a monthly fluctuation. 

Plus concurrency is a weird way to quantify people visiting the site. 40k daily is about 1700 per hour, what are we looking for, average concurrent users per minute? I mean if we drill it down to 27 people on site per minute, or half a person a second I guess it could paint a very weird picture of site activity. 

From a forum goers perspective I actually feel like we've ha an uptick over the past few months. Especially with the releases in February. 

Also has a 70% bounce rate .. Meaning 70% just visit the home page and leave , most likely bots looking for giveaways , which attributes to a large amount of daily traffic .. The bots are a large part of that number here .. and why they allow them to participate in giveaways .. It generates , false traffic ..
     Its been a steady decline for years , one of the first things i did each day for years was check the logged in .. They dont want us to see that anymore for a reason

so 70% bouncing at home page 30% staying for a bit which falls right into the concurrent numbers , which is low

Not good ..
    MendelBrainyAlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

down 6% from last month

Also has a 70% bounce rate .. Meaning 70% just visit the home page and leave , most likely bots looking for giveaways , which attributes to a large amount of daily traffic .. The bots are a large part of that number here .. and why they allow them to participate in giveaways .. It generates , false traffic ..
     Its been a steady decline for years , one of the first things i did each day for years was check the logged in .. They dont want us to see that anymore for a reason

Not good ..
    Bounce rates are generally high across the board though. 

Ign has a 65% bounce rate. 

PCgamer has a 66% bounce rate. 

That's just web traffic in general. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I wonder why ..

down 6% from last month

Not good ..
    Bounce rates are generally high across the board though. 

Ign has a 65% bounce rate. 

PCgamer has a 66% bounce rate. 

That's just web traffic in general. 

your right , and most likely many of the same bots visiting , Thats why the concurrent number matters more ..

Which is 30%
    AlBQuirky
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited March 2022
    Just rebrand.. MMORPG PLUS

Seriously,  theres so many fantastic games to talk about. MMORPG games in the clasical sence only have a couple of hand full worthn real discussion and isn't evennthenbighest genre. Atleast in my eyes, not looking at any stats.

I just recently discovered Deep Rock Galactic.  Shits awesome, right up there with Sea of Thieves as my top two casual games. Start doing more articles on some of their types of titles. 
    KyleranMikehaBrainyAlBQuirky