Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim's Ice Caves Give Vikings More To Explore In Latest Update | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageValheim's Ice Caves Give Vikings More To Explore In Latest Update | MMORPG.com

Valheim's latest update brings frost caves to the survival game, giving those enjoying the Viking afterlife more to explore in the Mountains regions of the map.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Has it launched yet? Sorry I had to ask. :)
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    all I can ever say has already been better said
    Valheim could've been cooler if they didn't setup the servers like Minecraft.
    Could you elaborate?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Console release please. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited March 2022
    Console release please. 
    they cant release console until they come out of early access which wont be for a long while because they are pretty slow. I imagine at least 2 years. They are releasing on steam deck soon if your getting that. 

The caves are pretty well done. Much better than the older procedurally generated dungeons in the swamps and black forest. They built 30 different possible rooms so each one feels pretty unique. A good addition to the game. 

Easily my favorite game. 
    ConstantineMerus
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited March 2022
    Rungar said:
    Console release please. 
    they cant release console until they come out of early access which wont be for a long while because they are pretty slow. I imagine at least 2 years. They are releasing on steam deck soon if your getting that. 

The caves are pretty well done. Much better than the older procedurally generated dungeons in the swamps and black forest. They built 30 different possible rooms so each one feels pretty unique. A good addition to the game. 

Easily my favorite game. 
    Two years to full release? Perhaps by then gamers will be able to actually purchase a modern console at normal retail without having to stand in line the night before the store opens to get one.

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2022
    @Scot its has no official servers. Its essentially a single player game you can play with a few friends. You have to host a server, run a dedicated server or purchase a prefab dedicated server. 
    Scot
    Torval said:
    Rungar said:
    Scot its has no official servers. Its essentially a single player game you can play with a few friends. You have to host a server, run a dedicated server or purchase a prefab dedicated server. 
    I consider that a big positive. It's much harder for a studio or publisher to milk you with micro/macro transactions and gives the players control of their game experience. It's typically much much cheaper too and they can't shut down and take away your game like MMOs that shut down.
    Scot said:
    Valheim could've been cooler if they didn't setup the servers like Minecraft.
    Could you elaborate?

I dislike the game design of small official servers with limited population mixed into a sea of community made unofficial servers that are likely modded with a different ruleset than official servers; games like Rust and Minecraft. Valheim has no official servers at all so what is supposed to be a massively multiplayer experience is usually played solo or co-op with friends. I'm all for more co-operative experiences like that and other particular games might do well with that server setup but in my eyes Valheim, Minecraft, and Rust, these are all games with mechanics that beg for huge official servers. Not to mention, if you don't play on a password protected server on these games the likelihood of trolls joining and griefing you is very very high.
    I will always vote for Massively over co-op, but the down side is the microtransactions etc that Torval is talking about.
    Anyone tried it out? Is it worth jumping back in for this? 
    its only a minor update. Some new light armor and a couple of build pieces. They did a pretty good job but it is a tiny addition. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Torval said:
    Rungar said:
    Scot its has no official servers. Its essentially a single player game you can play with a few friends. You have to host a server, run a dedicated server or purchase a prefab dedicated server. 
    I consider that a big positive. It's much harder for a studio or publisher to milk you with micro/macro transactions and gives the players control of their game experience. It's typically much much cheaper too and they can't shut down and take away your game like MMOs that shut down.
    The big negative is you have to rely on a few gaming friends to play. If they walk away you'll end up flying solo which is why I prefer company run servers.

No opportunity to meet new friends, have to pay to keep server up, and changing the setups seems a lot like lowering the rim in basketball so everyone can slam dunk.

;)

Maybe I'll play if they ever offer a company managed multiplayer experience...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I never got beyond the second boss.

Definitely my favorite game. Such a great job they did with this one.