Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon, Intrepid even Visionary Realms all show potential and may pave the way for others.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

All three companies show their is a future chance for another "western" mmorpg. 

Hopefully the fire can be ignited with these three "Western" games. Lets not forget the take over of Blizzard could produce an unexpected surprise for us. 

Lets hope one, two or all three can pull something off.  If not I'm afraid too much longer will scar the industry for good.

Our last hope. 

ConstantineMerusScotKidRisk

Comments

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Any day Delete posts is a good day.
    Kylerandelete5230ConstantineMerusScotChampieKidRisk
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    My money is on Riot, hopefully I'll live long enough to see their MMO come to fruition.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Kyleran said:
    My money is on Riot, hopefully I'll live long enough to see their MMO come to fruition.

i don't know if they'll make something i'm interested (my guess is wow 2.0) in but it'll likely be the only one assuming, as you say, well live long enough to see it. lol.  
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I don't think Pantheon would ever be more than a broken game.  Don't get me wrong, their are plenty of people that like playing a game like that, waiting for patch after patch for year's..... It's like that mechanic that likes old farm tractors that never run right and breaks down constantly.  Infact I may even enjoy that. 

For Ashes of Creation, I hate PvP, but if all holds true on their outrageously bold  development plans, it could turn into a great game. 

Amazon, well they have the money to do what they want....So will see.
    ConstantineMerusKidRisk
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    There is like 1000 mmorpg ever made.  You are not happy with any of it.  Just give it up.  You won't like the next one.  
    [Deleted User]
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is like 1000 mmorpg ever made.  You are not happy with any of it.  Just give it up.  You won't like the next one.  
    990 of them suck, maybe 10 are good.  Infact about 950 are not even mmorpgs, their single player games on line. 
    Kyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hopefully the fire can be ignited with these three "Western" games. Lets not forget the take over of Blizzard could produce an unexpected surprise for us. 

Lets hope one, two or all three can pull something off.  If not I'm afraid too much longer will scar the industry for good.

Our last hope. 

Apart from the fact of infinite money, do you think Amazon really can do it? I had no bias against Amazon but they really did drop the ball on New World.
    BLNX said:

Our last hope. 

Apart from the fact of infinite money, do you think Amazon really can do it? I had no bias against Amazon but they really did drop the ball on New World.
    Because they recently released New World, I wouldn't expect them to rush right out to make another one. Ten years at the minimum. Also companies of power only take others of powers advice, so theirs no one like us to tell them New World is too generic. 

Even if their population drops to zero, they would never understand why.... They would simply make the assumption "mmorpgs are not expected to last long".

Best case, Microsoft makes one. 
    BLNX
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited February 2022
    Companies that aim to cater to mass tastes should not be expected to create anything better than an average gaming experience. This eliminates giants like Tencent/Riot, Microsoft/Blizzard, Amazon, etc. Only average games are likely to come from these companies.

In my opinion, it would be good if a somewhat smaller, i.e. a double-A publisher, would take an interest in MMORPGs. Because at this scale you get the best of both worlds: Audio and graphics show quality, and the publisher is willing to occupy niches rather than cater to the mass market. Paradox is a perfect candidate, IMO.
    delete5230Jamar870
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    nurso said:
    Companies that aim to cater to mass tastes should not be expected to create anything better than an average gaming experience. This eliminates giants like Tencent/Riot, Microsoft/Blizzard, Amazon, etc. Only average games are likely to come from these companies.

In my opinion, it would be good if a somewhat smaller, i.e. a double-A publisher, would take an interest in MMORPGs. Because at this scale you get the best of both worlds: Audio and graphics show quality, and the publisher is willing to occupy niches rather than cater to the mass market. Paradox is a perfect candidate, IMO.
    AAA graphics and sound on an MMO scale costs tens of millions of dollars to produce especially in today's inflated market. I don't think a AA studio will take that kind of financial risk to occupy a niche. 
    KyleranKidRiskTwoTubes
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    "... has potential" is probably the worst thing you can say about upcoming MMOs.
    delete5230
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    BLNX said:

Our last hope. 

Best case, Microsoft makes one. 

Has Microsoft ever actually made a unique game that was good?  I am genuinely curious, because I cant think of one.  I have seen them taking over popular IP's and run them into the ground.

I don't expect Microsoft to be able to develop and release anything that takes the market to the next step.  Likely they will release a watered down sequel of a title they purchased, that's worse than the original version.

Kylerandelete5230
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amazon should buy EA. It is a match made in heaven. 
    [Deleted User]BLNXScot
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited February 2022
    You want a company whose only successful and well known games are all real time strategies to stop and make an MMORPG? Call me crazy but making games is kinda hard, especially MMORPGs. There's probably good reason that they stick to what they know.
    The difference between AA and AAA is not so much the effort put into the code, but the money spent on graphics, voice overs, marketing and so on. And frankly, I'd rather have an MMORPG with good gameplay than one that relies on photo-realistic graphics as its unique selling point.

Angrakhan said:
    AAA graphics and sound on an MMO scale costs tens of millions of dollars to produce especially in today's inflated market. I don't think a AA studio will take that kind of financial risk to occupy a niche. 
    You don't need AAA graphics for MMORPGs. Good animations and a reasonable polygon budget are enough if the graphic designers can handle them. More is even counterproductive IMO.
    TwoTubes
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

If Amazon has taught us anything it's that money doesn't correlate to quality when it comes to games or TV.

I disagree on the TV part.

For instance, The Expanse is an awesome Sci-Fi series, one of the best created these last years since Battlestar Galactica, and if the upcoming Lord of the Rings one is even just half as good, it will be great too.
    ScotKidRisk
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Its genius! They were made for each other
    Unfortunately, unlike Bethesda and Activision - Blizzard, EA doesn't really care if they get bad press. So Microsoft can't buy them on the cheap
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132

If Amazon has taught us anything it's that money doesn't correlate to quality when it comes to games or TV.

For instance, The Expanse is an awesome Sci-Fi series, one of the best created these last years since Battlestar Galactica, and if the upcoming Lord of the Rings one is even just half as good, it will be great too.

Watch this in its entirety and tell me this will be good.

Looks like Sauron won afterall. 
    [Deleted User]
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Its genius! They were made for each other
    Makes more sense for EA to buy Amazon Game Studios so Amazon can go back to selling books, ruling the Meta-verse or something.

Games clearly aren't Amazon's forte.
    [Deleted User]Brainy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Why would it be bad ? Because they suck at interviews and are black ?
    Oh please...
    KidRiskTwoTubes
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Money doesn't guarantee anything, but a small budget will give you a small result, in gaming that means a smaller game with less content. You can have a large budget and waste it, you see that everywhere from business to government projects, games are no different.
    Kyleran
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I've always wanted to create a Wild West MMO.

Four factions: Indians, Settlers, Renegades, and Outlaws. Renegades and Outlaws are obviously fighting against everybody else, and each other. Or they can team up together.

Also have a RTS style ranch building. Town building with area influence and control. Rob the town's bank and the town's area of control shrinks.

Indians can grow their territory with Totems.

Little magic, mostly just healing, for Settlers. Indians have more magic, like buffs and spirit attacks.

Build a ranch, build up a herd, make a cattle drive. Fight off Outlaws, Renegades, and Indians.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Guys can we just ask posters to keep calm and carry on posting, otherwise it can get way too personal.
    [Deleted User]KyleranOldKingLogKidRiskBrainy
    edited February 2022
    Graphics and voice actors are the main cost, what the heck? I am genuinely unsure how you got this response from my post.
    Sorry for the confusion.

On the one hand, Paradox was only meant as an example of what I imagine AA publishers to be like. On the other hand, I am confident that Paradox as a publisher (not as a developer!) has enough resources and the right attitude to make for example Pantheon a success.

Your thought process on this whole thing is wonky and blatantly incorrect. Less money and less talent = better MMORPG? What...?
    I did not say that less money and less talent lead to better MMORPGs.

In my opinion, reasonably chosen restrictions, such as a lower maximum polygon count for character models, can foster the creativity of graphic designers better than simply digitising a rock with a 3D scanner.

On that note: the amount of work for the basic server and client code is roughly the same for a AAA or AA MMORPG. Even a Kickstarter MMORPG cannot get by with a smaller "code base". What differentiates the AAA, AA and Kickstarter categories is the money that goes into things like graphics, voice acting, marketing and so on. And this is where reasonable limits could help "level" the playing field (i.e. gameplay > graphics).

[Deleted User]
    edited February 2022

Why would it be bad ? Because they suck at interviews and are black ?
    Oh please...

Umm...   ...   no? Not where I was taking that at all.
    "Why were the rings even made?"
    "...if Sauron is hot, maybe I can fix him."
    "*starts rapping* I'ma make a ring right now,"

Did you even watch it? If you watched this video and came up with that response I think you might be completely fucked in the head, sorry son.

So because they suck in an interview.

Thankfully, on a movie set, there's a director and they can't just rap the ring. There are many actors who behave like total idiots or asshats when they aren't acting.

Scot said:
    Guys can we just ask posters to keep calm and carry on posting, otherwise it can get way too personal.

We can live without the self appointed moderator too.
    Nothing personal either.
    [Deleted User]
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !