Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List the games you cannot believe how many hours you put in them:

Comments

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2022
    Mendel said:
    I've got thousands of hours in just about each of the Civilization games, from Civ I through Civ VI.  Probably another 300 or so hours in Win Civ, even!

But the most embarrassing game I've played is Fallout Shelter.  Steam says I've logged 537 hours in that game, but that doesn't count the time out-of-game doing something else while waiting for my guys to come back, or get to a mission.  I've even picked it up again this year to run some Survival mode attempts.  Thirty minute sessions played over 8 hours really keeps you at your keyboard.

I've been playing Fallout Shelter on my cell phone, don't be embarrassed... it's fun.  FYI... don't wait on the game's time gates(which are massive).  Close the game and change the date on your device foward.  Open back up the game... presto! (It advances by how much you advance you device date/time).  

Good thing is, when you revert to actual date/time on your device... the game progress doesn't revert.  I have most of my 200 shelter characters fully maxed, awesome fully upgraded shelter, and a ton of legendary gear... it would have took 6-8 months of real time (and I'd have to log in everyday... no thanks).
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:

Oh nice this sounds real nice. I should buckle down and play this, thanks.

Oh one more thing is it very action oriented  the combat?

The combat is about as basic as you can get. It is action combat, but not the sort of action combat u find in RPGs.

Everything is basically aim + click. Melee weapons dont have any power attacks or special move, just clicking. With bows and arrows, or firearms, its just aim and shoot.

That said, most of the time im out in the world, im riding a dinosaur. Nearly all dinos can be tamed and ridden (and u can breed them too!) and the dinos are way stronger than u are.

My max level character has 450 health. My t-rex has 20,000 health, and he isn't maxed out. My giant eagle (which is my main workhorse) has 15,000 health and can carry 5 times more stuff than I can. Each dino has 1-3 attacks, and they're usually more powerful than my spear or my assault rifle.

So, I don't think you'll struggle with the combat. It can get a bit hectic if you're on foot and get jumped by something, but that's usually pretty rare for me. The only time when u are really forced to fight on foot is if you are going into some of the caves. Caves hold some decent resources, some loot crates and artificats, but if ur playing single player u simply dont need to go there.
    You've definitely convinced me to play this, 125GB download whoopie and I am glad the combat isn't too hard. I cannot do action combat I am more a turn based player.

I'm glad you are giving it a go!

The download won't be that big, when I re-installed just after xmas it was only 45gig for the main download, then another 11gigs when i installed the latest free map (lost island).

It is a sandbox, and like all sandboxes it is absolutely terrible at introducing you to the way the game works so dont be surprised if your first hour or two is a bit overwhelming, it certainly was for me! But, once you've got a basic handle on the main gameplay loop - collect resources, craft, explore, build - then you'll have a lot of fun.

The main bit of advice I'll give you to start is turn the difficulty setting down!

The difficulty setting doesn't change any mechanics, it just determines the max level of dinosaurs on the map. If you've only just started, getting jumped by a level 120 raptor won't be much fun, taming your first dino might take ages and require tons of tranquilisers.

So, I'd recommend starting at 0.2 difficulty, dinos will be capped at level 30 or 40 in the wild. Once you've got a handle on the game, you can just turn the difficulty up again and higher level dinos will start spawning.
    kitaradAlBQuirky
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't know for sure but in WoW I've had a couple accounts over the years but right now my account that has my DK from back in WOTLK has like 2400 hours on my two main characters on it, which seems relatively low for some reason. Lineage 2 I remember back when Xfire was a thing I had ~13k hours on it but I did play quite a bit after xfire went away too. I was super surprised to see I had 900 hours in CSGO as well. 
    ScorchienAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Looks like I cannot play Ark Survival Evolved after all. While looking at videos and reading comments I realised this game plays badly in third person view. I am unable to play in first person view as I get nauseous. It seems aiming is very bad in third person. I hope they improve it in future.
    AlBQuirky

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Ark is the one that surprised me.  I keep going back to this game, something about it is addicting.  I like cranking up the difficulty now, but this game will just suck the hours out of me, but it was a lot of fun.  3k hours later and I'm finally at a point to say yeah I think I'm done.  But you never know.
    AlBQuirky
    kitarad said:
    Looks like I cannot play Ark Survival Evolved after all. While looking at videos and reading comments I realized this game plays badly in third person view. I am unable to play in first person view as I get nauseous. It seems aiming is very bad in third person. I hope they improve it in future.

You don't need 1st person for Ark,  I play 99% in 3rd person, I hate 1st person.  Maybe if you have a dino in a pen and are trying to shoot it through a window I will switch to first person for a second to get that shot off.  Maybe a few other instances you can use 1st person like if you are having trouble placing a piece of furniture a specific way.  But the reverse is the same, if you play 1st person you will need to move to 3rd occasionally to do the same thing.  Its rare for me.

Just keep in mind, in this game Dino's should be doing all the work, from mining, to getting thatch, to attacking other dino's ... everything is easily done in 3rd person.  All my friends play in 3rd person.

My tip for this game is start taming Dinos immediately.  Makes like much easier.  Tame everything you see. Moschops, Parasaurs and Dilo's are OP at the start of the game.

kitaradAlBQuirky
    edited February 2022
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:
    Looks like I cannot play Ark Survival Evolved after all. While looking at videos and reading comments I realized this game plays badly in third person view. I am unable to play in first person view as I get nauseous. It seems aiming is very bad in third person. I hope they improve it in future.

You don't need 1st person for Ark,  I play 99% in 3rd person, I hate 1st person.  Maybe if you have a dino in a pen and are trying to shoot it through a window I will switch to first person for a second to get that shot off.  Maybe a few other instances you can use 1st person like if you are having trouble placing a piece of furniture a specific way.  But the reverse is the same, if you play 1st person you will need to move to 3rd occasionally to do the same thing.  Its rare for me.

Just keep in mind, in this game Dino's should be doing all the work, from mining, to getting thatch, to attacking other dino's ... everything is easily done in 3rd person.  All my friends play in 3rd person.

My tip for this game is start taming Dinos immediately.  Makes like much easier.  Tame everything you see. Moschops, Parasaurs and Dilo's are OP at the start of the game.

Thank you for this. I was just reading all the steam comments and also some on the videos. I was unable to really ask someone of their experiences. You have alleviated my perceived problems. I will play this after I finish my current game.

It shows as 125.09 GB as download. Is there any way I can reduce this on steam? Others were saying it was a lot smaller. I have to remove some games as I dislike going above 60% of my HD if I can avoid it. I do have about 450GB left but with everyone in my house I cannot tie up my steam downloads with high volumes. People working too from home is a problem.
    AlBQuirky

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    kitarad said:
    Looks like I cannot play Ark Survival Evolved after all. While looking at videos and reading comments I realised this game plays badly in third person view. I am unable to play in first person view as I get nauseous. It seems aiming is very bad in third person. I hope they improve it in future.

I will admit, this was something I disliked about the game. I prefer 3rd person, but it didn't work well when I was playing. In particular, interacting or harvesting stuff in 3rd person was shit.

However, as Brainy mentioned, you'll probably end up spending a lot of time on dinos, which defaults to 3rd person as soon as you mount a dino.

I hope you still give it a try. I don't know whether this helps with nausea, but I experienced a bit of nausea when I was playing Kingdoms of Amalur recently (despite being 3rd person). I found that switching from mouse+keyboard to an xbox controller really helped, it made looking around a lot smoother and just improved the whole situation.
    kitaradAlBQuirky
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Simply Chess, free chess game on steam.  1000+ hours.  Surpass how much I have gotten out of a free game.
    AlBQuirky

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    MMOman101 said:
    Simply Chess, free chess game on steam.  1000+ hours.  Surpass how much I have gotten out of a free game.

Do you play other people or a chess AI? DO they have rankings and such? Sounds interesting though I am not good at chess lol
    AlBQuirky
    kitarad said:
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:

Thank you for this. I was just reading all the steam comments and also some on the videos. I was unable to really ask someone of their experiences. You have alleviated my perceived problems. I will play this after I finish my current game.

It shows as 125.09 GB as download. Is there any way I can reduce this on steam? Others were saying it was a lot smaller. I have to remove some games as I dislike going above 60% of my HD if I can avoid it. I do have about 450GB left but with everyone in my house I cannot tie up my steam downloads with high volumes. People working too from home is a problem.

Ark is huge, but you don't need the DLC's unless you plan to play that specific map, I recommend playing Ragnarok or The Island (base game), so any other DLC's are completely unnecessary.

Right-click Ark in your Steam library -> Properties -> DLC tab -> uncheck the DLCs you don't want.  Which is pretty much all of them.

Do this before you install it to avoid installing the DLC's.  Or do it after to remove the DLC's.
    [Deleted User]kitaradAlBQuirky
  • AnimaMundiSoftworksAnimaMundiSoftworks Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Ultima Online, the best mmorpg (anachronic thought).
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Ultima Online, the best mmorpg (anachronic thought).
    I am in two minds, but guessing you are an adbot. If not do tell us!
    AlBQuirky
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:

Ark is huge, but you don't need the DLC's unless you plan to play that specific map, I recommend playing Ragnarok or The Island (base game), so any other DLC's are completely unnecessary.

Right-click Ark in your Steam library -> Properties -> DLC tab -> uncheck the DLCs you don't want.  Which is pretty much all of them.

Do this before you install it to avoid installing the DLC's.  Or do it after to remove the DLC's.
    No DLC tabs but when I tried to download it showed 39GB initially. I cancelled the download. I am hoping I can stop downloading after that will try again when I am ready. 
    BrainyAlBQuirky

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    DDO,  Mass Effect series
    AlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

kitarad said:
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:
    Brainy said:
    kitarad said:

No DLC tabs but when I tried to download it showed 39GB initially. I cancelled the download. I am hoping I can stop downloading after that will try again when I am ready. 
    when I right click Ark on the left side menu of steam where it lists the games, I see the following tabs.

General
    Updates
    Local Files
    Language
    Betas
    Controller
    DLC
    Workshop

When I click on DLC it allows me to uncheck the boxes for the DLC I don't want to install.  Not sure why yours would be different then mine, but I am not a steam expert, could look different with different operating systems.  Good Luck.
    AlBQuirky
    For Properties for Ark Survival Evolved

General

Updates

Language

Betas

Controller

Workshop

Then for Manage

Set custom Artwork

Hide this Game

I have seen the DLC option in other games but not for this. I suspect it has to do with the package I bought. The one I bought may have bundled everything. Also Local Files only appear for the games you have already installed.

The problem is I am also reading that each time there is an update it needs like 450 over GB free because of the unoptimized way it patches. So many on Reddit have complained they have been unable to install an update if they had 250GB free.
    BrainyAlBQuirky

• MadBomber13MadBomber13 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Rimworld. Too many, many hours spent. Too many, many great stories. 
    BrainyAlBQuirkyAdamantine[Deleted User]
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    edited March 2022
    MMOman101 said:

Do you play other people or a chess AI? DO they have rankings and such? Sounds interesting though I am not good at chess lol
    I play the AI.  If you want to play other people chess.com works well.

It has online play but very few active users.
    TheocritusAlBQuirky

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Rimworld. Too many, many hours spent. Too many, many great stories. 

This is why I have yet to play Rimworld. I've had it over a year now and "scare" myself by thinking how lost I may get LOL
    MadBomber13kitaradScot[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I downloaded 39.3 GB but it installed 125 GB. I think the version of Ark Survival Evolved has a compressed download with no option to remove anything. Good thing I uninstalled some games and had about 400GB available. I now understand why people say when they do patches they don't have enough space on reddit.
    AlBQuirkyBrainy

• DurandleDurandle Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Planetside 1, Dark Age of Camelot, and Eve Online. Nothing else has ever come close, and I miss those days a lot.
    AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Has Eve Online shut down ?!?!?!?!?!?

*checks*

Oh, its free to play now, apparently. I dont think it was free to play in the past ?

Still, it seems to be still running ?

AlBQuirky
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Gwent standalone card game... just tried last week... have 50 hours already (did not spend $).  I have to detox from it. :D
    MendelAlBQuirky
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Can't believe I spent 280 hours in FFXIV. Not even once I got the "Hey, this is a great game!" feeling. I just wanted to finish it so I don't have to pick it up ever again. 
    AlBQuirky