Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best fully implemented 3-D MMO? City of Heroes!

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
I was playing the old City of Heroes the other day and was still stuck by how fully done the 3-D world is. Of course you can fly in the game, and superjump lets you jump over 10 story buildings. But what got me was the amount of detail.

• All objects are fully 3-D. If you see a building with windows, and the windows have ledges, then you can fly to and land on any of those ledges. They aren't just for show.
  • If you see a power pole, with a power line connected to another pole, you can land on and stand on the pole. And even walk along the power line to the next pole.
  • If you see a stop sign or stop lights, you can land on top of them and stand there.
  • I was even able to stand on top of a parking meter on the street!
What amazes me is that this was all done almost 20 years ago, the game released in 2004!

I'm not aware of any other MMO that has this level of 3-D details and implementation.

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

ScotkitaradConstantineMerus

Comments

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    olepi said:
    • All objects are fully 3-D. If you see a building with windows, and the windows have ledges, then you can fly to and land on any of those ledges. They aren't just for show.
    Yes, but can you look inside the windows and be a superpowered peeping tom?
    kitaradSovrath
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    When I first played I was always amazed by the ability to move upwards. Perez Park being the nightmare it was. I tried to walk on the canopy and was mostly successful until I fell down an opening among the boughs of the trees right into a purple mobs....sayonara.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I remember trying CoH but dont remember liking it all that much...part of that may be I just dont like playing a superhero.....I'm glad it scratched an itch for those that did like it tho.
    Sovrath
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DCUO does the same,  there are several other games that do it to a lesser degree,  Rift, EQ2,GW2 etc ... 
    Kyleran