Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC just blamed its incompetence on backers

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Wrong again.  It’s a treadmill.  We get no closer to the end because new stuff becomes old stuff. Old stuff gets reworked and becomes new stuff.  As I said, you can’t give even a year as a target for release.  Not even a 5 year span.
    What new stuff becomes old stuff? Can you specify?

Are you aware of the concept of iteration in game development ?

Are you aware of the completion rate of the SQ42 chapters? They're shown in the roadmap which is updated every month. Many are at 100% already with lowest at one at 74%. 

You really don't need a target for release unless you're planning on dying any time soon and playing this game is your life goal lol

All you need to know and make terms with is that they are pushing to make the best space sim they can make. They aren't making a cookiecutter game or taking corners, they are pushing gaming and tech limits to bring something special and that means going into uncharted terrain which means extra unpredictability.

Take Riot's MMO, they have 1000+ employees and make per year what SC managed to crowdfund in 10 years. Their Executive Producer Ghostcrawler (ex-WoW Lead dev) is probably one of the most experienced developers in the mmo genre yet he still doesn't even know if their MMO will even launch much less a "release date" lol

That's just the way it is and how the company gets it's funding to develop (if from shareholders, gaming backers or a arab billionaire) it doesn't change the nature of the beast.  

We just need to be glad that these kind of games are being developed in the first place because, let's face it, the genre as stalled for long enough.
    UngoodGrindcoreTHRALL
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Babuinix said:
    Wrong again.  It’s a treadmill.  We get no closer to the end because new stuff becomes old stuff. Old stuff gets reworked and becomes new stuff.  As I said, you can’t give even a year as a target for release.  Not even a 5 year span.

Are you aware of the concept of iteration in game development ?

Are you aware of the completion rate of the SQ42 chapters? They're shown in the roadmap which is updated every month. Many are at 100% already with lowest at one at 74%. 

You really don't need a target for release unless you're planning on dying any time soon and playing this game is your life goal lol

All you need to know and make terms with is that they are pushing to make the best space sim they can make. They aren't making a cookiecutter game or taking corners, they are pushing gaming and tech limits to bring something special and that means going into uncharted terrain which means extra unpredictability.

Take Riot's MMO, they have 1000+ employees and make per year what SC managed to crowdfund in 10 years. Their Executive Producer Ghostcrawler (ex-WoW Lead dev) is probably one of the most experienced developers in the mmo genre yet he still doesn't even know if their MMO will even launch much less a "release date" lol

That's just the way it is and how the company gets it's funding to develop (if from shareholders, gaming backers or a arab billionaire) it doesn't change the nature of the beast.  

We just need to be glad that these kind of games are being developed in the first place because, let's face it, the genre as stalled for long enough.
    Me thinks thou dost protest too much....

You're not fooling anyone.

"You really don't need a target for release"
    If you do not know how long something will take, you cannot know how much it will cost.  This explains why there is no longer any connection between funds raised and progress towards goal.

It's a treadmill and at the end of the day you realize this and thus the hostility.  

And for the record.. a game being "developed" is meaningless.  A game being LAUNCHED would be impactful.  Until then... its in the same boat as other people who have said the EXACT SAME THING... like Pathfinder Online.... like Chronicles of Elyria.   They and others all tried the same line about how grateful we should be that they were developing a game since the genre was stalled and stale.  But being developed is nothing.  LAUNCHING a completed vision.... yeah... that would be impactful.

Babuinix

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Protest about what? Fool who about what?

Again, you keep throwing around random claims going lalala while covering your ears just cause you have trouble understanding that games take time to make and rushing and incomplete product to make a release date is a bad move for both company and gamers. 

For a game to be LAUNCHED is has to be DEVELOPED first. 
     Is that a hard concept to understand?

Unless you want to play another rushed and incomplete game. Anthem launched with great IMPACT. So did Cyberpunk, Battlefield and so on lol

All you have to do is enjoy life and play the games you enjoy. No need to throw a tauntrum in every Star Citizrn thread lol

The game will keep on being developed and will launch when it's ready like every game should be.

UngoodGrindcoreTHRALL
  • jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Babuinix said:

Again, you keep throwing around random claims going lalala while covering your ears just cause you have trouble understanding that games take time to make and rushing and incomplete product to make a release date is a bad move for both company and gamers. 

Unless you want to play another rushed and incomplete game. Anthem launched with great IMPACT. So did Cyberpunk, Battlefield and so on lol

All you have to do is enjoy life and play the games you enjoy. No need to throw a tauntrum in every Star Citizrn thread lol

The game will keep on being developed and will launch when it's ready like every game should be.

No need to come white knight on every thread but here you are. At least we know some of Star Citizen funds are going to the community PR team. But you'd think they could find someone better with that kind of haul. Guess it's a cost saving thing, I dunno...
    jmlane223 said:
    Babuinix said:

No need to come white knight on every thread but here you are. At least we know some of Star Citizen funds are going to the community PR team. But you'd think they could find someone better with that kind of haul. Guess it's a cost saving thing, I dunno...
    I honestly think that it's a false flag kind of thing.  Some of the stuff is just so over the top silly... it HAS TO BE...

Right?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Babuinix said:

As I said... YOU made the ridiculous claim that (and I quote) "We just need to be glad that these kind of games are being developed in the first place".  Which is of, course... not true at all.  It follows in the footsteps of games that came before it... like Pathfinder Online.  Like Chronicles of Elyria.   Those and others used similar false logic to try and tell us they were the genre saviors and deserved our thanks and financial support for simply being under development.  No game in development deserves any kind of "thanks"...   When a game RELEASES... and makes an IMPACT... then we can get thankful (if that's your thing... me personally... I'm more thankful for non-game stuff but different strokes for different folks and all that)

I know you know this.  And I know you are simply angry because you know that we know that you know this :)

The proof is in the pudding.  IF the game ever releases, and IF it is all you say it will be, then it will be realized as the greatest game ever and you will receive you righteous place at the side of Roberts.   If it never releases... we will never truly know nor care what it could have been.  All that matters is if it finishes its journey to release.

Go play your Alpha 3.X version.  If I had a game that I thought was fantastic I know I'd be in there every chance I got instead of trying to bludgeon the heathens on a message board. I think you have many more Alpha X.X iterations to look forward to, and countless Beta X.X releases beyond that.  You can stay on the treadmill as long as you like.  I do not see it ending anytime soon.

Babuinix

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited May 2022
    Babuinix said:

Games take time =/= over ten years and half a billion dollars for an alpha.

Just give it up, man.  If you like your half a billion dollar alpha where you can blow boxes into the sky with a grenade, have at it.

As @Slapshot1188 said: if it were that fun, I'm not sure why you're here trying to convince us instead of just enjoying it.  If it really were that fun, the videos on YouTube and the game's reddit would communicate that.  All your bluster here amounts to absolutely nothing in terms of game quality.

If it really were as great as you make it out to be, it would be receiving coverage beyond simply relaying the patch notes from CIG and articles gawking at how long and how expensive the game's development is.  It doesn't, because there's not a whole lot to show for that time and money.

Babuinix
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    jmlane223 said:
    Babuinix said:

No need to piss on the game every chance you get either,, yet here we all are

Funny how that works.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    jmlane223 said:
    Babuinix said:

Funny how that works.
    It obviously because spending time on here is more fun than the games we are playing (or not playing).   

If a game was really fantastic I'd be playing it and not posting and that is why sometimes I go dark... or dramatically cut down posting.  Then I get bored and come back.

So I always assume that the big defenders are not quite as enamored with their games as they would lead us to believe.

Ungood said:
    jmlane223 said:
    Babuinix said:

Funny how that works.
    It obviously because spending time on here is more fun than the games we are playing (or not playing).   

If a game was really fantastic I'd be playing it and not posting and that is why sometimes I go dark... or dramatically cut down posting.  Then I get bored and come back.

So I always assume that the big defenders are not quite as enamored with their games as they would lead us to believe.

Not only that, but posting in this thread is a minority of my posts on these forums.  I don't focus here so much as comment sometimes when it pops up on the recent discussions page where I do most of my forum surfing.

And agreed- if I'm really into a game, I do less posting here during my free time.  During the day, my posting volume mostly corresponds inversely to my work volume.
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Weakest points I have seen in awhile. "If the game is fun, then you wouldn't be posting here." Using your own logic, guess you don't have any games to play either or maybe you are just like the majority of the world with a mobile phone or a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th monitor. Pretty mindless comment imo. Its pretty easy to play the game and frequent a forum at the same time.
    Babuinix
    Weakest points I have seen in awhile. "If the game is fun, then you wouldn't be posting here." Using your own logic, guess you don't have any games to play either or maybe you are just like the majority of the world with a mobile phone or a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th monitor. Pretty mindless comment imo. Its pretty easy to play the game and frequent a forum at the same time.
    Not sure you understand how quotes "" work...

That said, I can assure you that never once have I played a game, enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought "I MUST RUN TO THE FORUMS AND CONVINCE OTHERS!!!!"   Not once.  The game should do the convincing. 

SC, to it's credit... has a free fly event every so often.  Interested folks can hop in and see reality.   There is simply no need to come smite the heathens.   Play a game you love.  

MadBomber13

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303

That said, I can assure you that never once have I played a game, enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought "I MUST RUN TO THE FORUMS AND CONVINCE OTHERS!!!!"   Not once.  The game should do the convincing. 

SC, to it's credit... has a free fly event every so often.  Interested folks can hop in and see reality.   There is simply no need to come smite the heathens.   Play a game you love.  

Such a try hard lol. I really don't believe you either. 14k posts and you have never reviewed or recommended a game on the forums? You find a way to make a ton of worthless posts about a game you have no intention of playing, why would I believe your statement xD
    MadBomber13

Such a try hard lol. I really don't believe you either. 14k posts and you have never reviewed or recommended a game on the forums? You find a way to make a ton of worthless posts about a game you have no intention of playing, why would I believe your statement xD
    Sure Dude... again.. read what i posted.  read what you responded.  I did not say what your strawman claims.

But carry on  ;)

• MadBomber13MadBomber13 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    SC threads: the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you all for the awesome entertainment provided to all us poor working stiffs. If it wasn't for the rabid defenders and the oh so hilarious folk that keep pointing the flaws in their arguments, my work day would be a bit duller. Thank you and keep up the amazing job!
    TheDalaiBombaMendeleoloe
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    People are catching on. Haven't you noticed that everything is our fault now?

That fault is still giving these idiots your money. How many of you complain, yet continue to pay these companies? They no longer want customers. They want addicts blindingly throwing  cash at them like manipulated, Pavlovian dogs.

This IS the result of cash shops and RMT cash models. Companies only care about their cash whales. You gave up your consumer rights and power. You accepted the new cash models over a decade ago, and now you are eating your shit sandwich you so happily prepared the moment you accepted F2P conversions.
    MadBomber13
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    SC threads: the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you all for the awesome entertainment provided to all us poor working stiffs. If it wasn't for the rabid defenders and the oh so hilarious folk that keep pointing the flaws in their arguments, my work day would be a bit duller. Thank you and keep up the amazing job!
    Ohh man, do I have a great synopsis for you then:

• It is best in the genre. There is no genre, NMS never counts when comparisons are being made about scale etc,, only Elite Dangerous, which is 8 years old and has sold more units then there are Star Citizens. Like moulded bread being the best food ever because its the only thing available in the dungeon you are locked up in.
    • Delays and bloat? ‘We’ the backers wanted that, ‘we’ are okay with it. Actually no, and the forums have been full of people voicing their concerns. Unfortunately, as soon as you disagree you get kicked out of the ‘we’ group, then being labelled as hater or dismissed with a ‘get a refund.’ There is no ‘we’ except a carefully curated group of yes sayers.
    • Record breaking funding. Well, the game and its Cash Shop have been available for years, you can simply buy it like an EA title, or any title for that matter, just with less chance of the product actually getting finished. And from that, pretty realistic, angle 400 million and counting is impressive but not record breaking. Just for fun, Call of Duty Modern Warfare made 600 million dollars in its first three days of launch. 
    • More players join each day. Piling numbers on top of numbers is meaningless. Retention is more important which we don’t have a clue about, we have hollow stats that prove nothing. When five people join every day but ten leave you are bleeding players heavily. 
    • A unique mix of features never done before. Like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics? Then that must be the best sports game ever, and best Mario game, and best Sonic game. Individually each of its features have already been done better by other games. Its detail? Shenmue from 1999 says hi. Its scale? Just a grain of sand on the beach that is called NMS. Its simulation parts? Microsoft Flight Simulator runs circles around it.
    • Bunch of armchair developers, the actual company knows what they are doing. Well, then we wouldn’t be able to quote them again and again on things they stated and/or promised that just blew up right in their faces. Of course that doesn’t count when you move the goal posts far enough but what honest person in their right mind would do that? What does a promise from a dev mean anyways when he doesn’t keep it?
    • Star Citizen is not going anywhere. Probably right, but so are Ebola, racism etc.

For what it is worth, I am a Star Citizen and think the project is pretty cool. Everyone can see and play it when they want to. Some see the best game ever, some a poorly optimized, incomplete alpha client. Is it worth 400+ million and a decade later with no end in sight? No one is right here because all of it is preference. Except for the vocal critics that is, they are dumb haters that ride on unicorns, or other illusionary arguments.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadBomber13Slapshot1188TheDalaiBombaMendelArglebargleeoloe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:

• It is best in the genre. There is no genre, NMS never counts when comparisons are being made about scale etc,, only Elite Dangerous, which is 8 years old and has sold more units then there are Star Citizens. Like moulded bread being the best food ever because its the only thing available in the dungeon you are locked up in.
    • Delays and bloat? ‘We’ the backers wanted that, ‘we’ are okay with it. Actually no, and the forums have been full of people voicing their concerns. Unfortunately, as soon as you disagree you get kicked out of the ‘we’ group, then being labelled as hater or dismissed with a ‘get a refund.’ There is no ‘we’ except a carefully curated group of yes sayers.
    • Record breaking funding. Well, the game and its Cash Shop have been available for years, you can simply buy it like an EA title, or any title for that matter, just with less chance of the product actually getting finished. And from that, pretty realistic, angle 400 million and counting is impressive but not record breaking. Just for fun, Call of Duty Modern Warfare made 600 million dollars in its first three days of launch. 
    • More players join each day. Piling numbers on top of numbers is meaningless. Retention is more important which we don’t have a clue about, we have hollow stats that prove nothing. When five people join every day but ten leave you are bleeding players heavily. 
    • A unique mix of features never done before. Like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics? Then that must be the best sports game ever, and best Mario game, and best Sonic game. Individually each of its features have already been done better by other games. Its detail? Shenmue from 1999 says hi. Its scale? Just a grain of sand on the beach that is called NMS. Its simulation parts? Microsoft Flight Simulator runs circles around it.
    • Bunch of armchair developers, the actual company knows what they are doing. Well, then we wouldn’t be able to quote them again and again on things they stated and/or promised that just blew up right in their faces. Of course that doesn’t count when you move the goal posts far enough but what honest person in their right mind would do that? What does a promise from a dev mean anyways when he doesn’t keep it?
    • Star Citizen is not going anywhere. Probably right, but so are Ebola, racism etc.

For what it is worth, I am a Star Citizen and think the project is pretty cool. Everyone can see and play it when they want to. Some see the best game ever, some a poorly optimized, incomplete alpha client. Is it worth 400+ million and a decade later with no end in sight? No one is right here because all of it is preference. Except for the vocal critics that is, they are dumb haters that ride on unicorns, or other illusionary arguments.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    A+

Can we hire you to provide synopsis for other best game ever/deluded fanboi threads? 
    lahnmir
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    A+

Can we hire you to provide synopsis for other best game ever/deluded fanboi threads? 
    You most certainly can! Except for the Monster Hunter series and Elden Ring, I am the most deluded fanboi when it comes to those  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadBomber13

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

Forget them, some jaded games are only happy being miserable.

Just a bunch of Angry Gamers aka Gaming Karens coping with the fact that they can't seem to find a game that brings them back their childhood hype and joy of playing lol

And if they can't have find their fun, no one else can. :D

GrindcoreTHRALLUngood
    Babuinix said:

What, exactly, about anyone's posts here, fan or critic, would affect how much fun you have with the game?

You guys really should take the hint and let Lahnmir handle the community outreach here.  You do the game no favors with anyone here.  He's honest about the current state, and as such he's bought himself cred with which to challenge misinformation and update us if the game really does seem to be coming together sometime in the future.
    Slapshot1188MadBomber13MendelGrindcoreTHRALL
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Babuinix said:

What, exactly, about anyone's posts here, fan or critic, would affect how much fun you have with the game?

You guys really should take the hint and let Lahnmir handle the community outreach here.  You do the game no favors with anyone here.  He's honest about the current state, and as such he's bought himself cred with which to challenge misinformation and update us if the game really does seem to be coming together sometime in the future.
    Because by now it isn't about the game, it's personal. Certain posters don't like other posters so in the best tradition of high school fights it just devolves into trash talk and personal attacks. Hence why I find it endlessly entertaining. I have been on this site long enough through the years to see that with the exception of certain actors, most of the time people could have heated discussions over games and other topics without longterm wounded pride and vendettas being generated but as the MMO genre stagnated and more and more people have left the hobby, those remaining have become more and more entrenched in their views to the point of attacking my game = attacking me.

Sad days indeed... 

TheDalaiBomba
    edited May 2022
    Babuinix said:

I wish man, over the last twelve months the game became worse and worse performance wise for me and is now pretty much unplayable. My PC is starting to show its age so I am most certainly not putting all the blame on SC, for some performance increased with each update, I had the opposite experience. Just had my third daughter and making a career move and busy with investments so a new rig has to wait. And so does SC.

Edit. And although I am flattered, Babs really does know a shit ton about SC, he just likes to wrap his golden nuggets of wisdom in giant piles of low effort, trolling, poo and condescending schmuckness. A classic case of shitty attitude ruining the message.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadBomber13TheDalaiBombaSlapshot1188Babuinix

Absolutely worth it ! B) <3