Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark Server Info, Pre-Download, Head Start and Launch Details Revealed | MMORPG.com

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2022
    If there are PvP continents, great..  please send me the link to the release date of PvP continents... I read a Q&A article with the game master 11 months ago... spitballing the idea, but have not read about release on the Korean servers or expectations for the west.
    I think it was on Q4 last year, so recently. 

continent name is Rowen (or whatever translation we'll get) 

that's  someone gathering, gets killed and guy snatches the loot lol. don't know much about the specifics of it despite hearing it was pick-a-faction based
    [Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2022
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:

Beyond that is an impressive game, strong PvE content, strong PvP content,
    I will not debate PvE content... your post jives with gameplay I've seen... but to claim this has "strong PvP content"...

3 vs 3 arena... is not "strong" PvP content.  It is bare-bones PvP content.  Let's not inflate the title. :*
    True, since players clearly can't fight 3 vs 1, or 10 vs 1 even, what kind of proper PVP game doesn't have that?

Now I'm off to convince the UFC they need to add 10 man FFA steel cage matches since they aren't providing strong enough PVP content.

;)
    5v5 or 6v6 is pretty standard.  Also larger, 12 v12, 20 vs 20. 

Also, a variety of maps with strategic points.

Seems fair, right?  This is just for tacked on pvp features... not "strong pvp" game.  ;)

This game is 5+ years old.

edited February 2022
    Kyleran said:
    True, since players clearly can't fight 3 vs 1, or 10 vs 1 even, what kind of proper PVP game doesn't have that?

Now I'm off to convince the UFC they need to add 10 man FFA steel cage matches since they aren't providing strong enough PVP content.
    Since when is the number of game modes define the pvp content and its progression you can have? A lot of full pvp games are based on a simplistic base mode and play type.

Despite, LA devs add not only PvP islands that already existed, but now open-world PvP continents so this argument that the game can't offer proper pvp is silly
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2022
    I jumped in a couple of the tests over the fall and had fun , at least in the early game I experienced , grabbed the Platinum pack , so I'll be hitting  it pretty hard come the 11th . 

Took a bit getting used to controls but after a few hours it was flowing and worked well ..

Combat was impactful , smooth and fun ..

Good looking ARPG , and the world was interesting ..

What I experienced with builds was pretty solid and seems to have alot of options (more on this is needed)

Gear also , was the same , interesting with a lot of variety ..

I did not craft  ..

Did not pvp...

I did not like all the items and currency thrown at you that is typical of Asian games,  so much unneeded bloat (but I will manage it)

I really enjoy ARPGs so if we have one that is truly an MMO , I'll stick with it for while ..

Think I will do a giveaway this weekend so keep an eye out for that.. 
    ConstantineMerus
    edited February 2022
    Hard find info on Rowen was added weeks ago, but PvP continent is open-world, it has a story where picking one of the factions reflects on PvP state, then they added objectives and all on the game-world that attract both factions to contest and stuff of the sorts... 

There are also GvG-like but large scale faction vs faction fight events, 48 vs 48 players up to 96 players, seems to be point control based.

Guilds wise from KR info is they're getting castle sieges.

So they do have been recently focusing on endgame pvp content on the open-world with this recent adds and larger scale one, nothing I have played as this is KR only attm
    [Deleted User]
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Whether it's an ARPG, MMO, MMOARPG, or any other label, I enjoyed playing it in testing. I will continue to play it while I keep enjoying it. I feel sad sometimes for people that get hung up on labels of games rather than just playing them and seeing if it feels fun to them or not.

Book by its cover and all that.
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Scorchien said:
    I jumped in a couple of the tests over the fall and had fun , at least in the early game I experienced , grabbed the Platinum pack , so I'll be hitting  it pretty hard come the 11th . 

Took a bit getting used to controls but after a few hours it was flowing and worked well ..

Combat was impactful , smooth and fun ..

Good looking ARPG , and the world was interesting ..

What I experienced with builds was pretty solid and seems to have alot of options (more on this is needed)

Gear also , was the same , interesting with a lot of variety ..

I did not craft  ..

Did not pvp...

I did not like all the items and currency thrown at you that is typical of Asian games,  so much unneeded bloat (but I will manage it)

I really enjoy ARPGs so if we have one that is truly an MMO , I'll stick with it for while ..

Think I will do a giveaway this weekend so keep an eye out for that.. 
    How are the benefits of the various packs?

Not having played.. when I look at the list of contents its hard to judge if anything is worthwhile or not.  Any feedback on which items really make a difference?

I assume the vip/sub crystal aura is a must have?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2022
    How are the benefits of the various packs?

Not having played.. when I look at the list of contents its hard to judge if anything is worthwhile or not.  Any feedback on which items really make a difference?

I assume the vip/sub crystal aura is a must have?
    Due to the fact on our version the pet benefits are part of the sub, it is rather more worth it. On the other hand, on our version we can buy the sub with in-game gold conversion instead of forcefully cash.

The gold pack for example is the best value because it includes what should be 40$ of premium currency + everything else for 50$.

The pet it comes with is good as pets pick loot.

Everything else but the character expansion slot is more superficial, potions here, utility item there, but all that you get as you level already (mount early on included).
    [Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Might pick a melee toon and use a controller instead because of the no force move key.

• jtckline3jtckline3 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I think you guys are forgetting the all too raw lesson of Lost World.

Amazon as publisher = Fail

No second chances
    edited February 2022
    jtckline3 said:
    I think you guys are forgetting the all too raw lesson of Lost World.

Amazon as publisher = Fail

No second chances
    Amazon is not just the publisher of NW, it was its developer, and its main failures are related to the development aspects, problems, exploits, game design, etc.

LA is already a released game and developed by SmileGate, AGS responsibility is limited to hosting, support and the general live service of the game. Different context altogether. 
    [Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm willing to play on a US server so you Americans can benefit from my pleasant company. Let's guild up. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I think it was Bill who said Massively Multiplayer means when a game can be played by a lot of people it becomes massively and when they can play with each other it is multiplayer. Online is Online so nothing different there.

I think the idea of having everyone in the same world at the same time was a construct of an MMORPG was the argument. Mind you I'm not giving my own interpretation or stand on this.

The fact that a game can be played by a lot of people who can theoretically play with each other if they choose to ,makes the game Massively Multiplayer.

/grabs popcorn

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    cheyane said:
    Asm0deus said:
    My interest in this game just took a major dive after reading this on the steam forums tbh:

Everything is GATED, not just on western release, but ru or korean, farming is gated ( u can only farm for as long as you have the farming substance, when u deplete that u cant mine, herb or collect no more)
    If you need mats, and go to farm wood for example, your resource gets deleted as U FARM the wood , and when u run out of this gathering resource, you cant farm no more. It replenish over time BUT VERY VERY VERY SLOW. EVERYTHING IS GATED GUYS.
    And u need a f.... k ton of wood to upgrade ships, stronghold and so on
    For armor is even worse, sadly

OMG I always hated this Archeage. If this is the case then not interested any more. Good thing I didn't buy the mouse.
    Bah, I was thinking the same thing. The damn labor system is my biggest complaint about Archeage, as fun as I find the game to be. Been looking forward to Lost Ark for a few years now though so I'll probably give it a shot anyway.
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

Since when is the number of game modes define the pvp content and its progression you can have? A lot of full pvp games are based on a simplistic base mode and play type.

Despite, LA devs add not only PvP islands that already existed, but now open-world PvP continents so this argument that the game can't offer proper pvp is silly
    Literally every Battle Royale game ever.  It's the same exact game loop with a few curveballs thrown in based on which game.  And they're immensely popular!
    edited February 2022

Literally every Battle Royale game ever. 

It's the same exact game loop with a few curveballs thrown in based on which game.  And they're immensely popular!
    Yes exactly like BR's, simple game mode but the replayability factor does the trick.

The LA PvP is arena-based (where the pvp seasons and most progression is), traditional MMO GvG based, open-world PvP island events that surface on the ocean map, a full open world pvp continent faction vs faction, and larger scale match-based faction vs faction conquest.

That's why I say the PvP is doing just fine, it's seeing investment from the devs, it just needs to not messup on the balance factors and it's set to be a strong side of LA on the west as well.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    [Deleted User]
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited February 2022
    cheyane said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Asm0deus said:
    My interest in this game just took a major dive after reading this on the steam forums tbh:

Everything is GATED, not just on western release, but ru or korean, farming is gated ( u can only farm for as long as you have the farming substance, when u deplete that u cant mine, herb or collect no more)
    If you need mats, and go to farm wood for example, your resource gets deleted as U FARM the wood , and when u run out of this gathering resource, you cant farm no more. It replenish over time BUT VERY VERY VERY SLOW. EVERYTHING IS GATED GUYS.

Endgame stuff will not be farmable infinitely, the game already suffers from inflation as is and with a logic of daily rewards. 
    When you're levelling this mechanic is absolute shit. Especially for a person like me who loves housing and making things in Archeage. I ran out of energy trying to make my farm. Horrible thing. How come I never read about this? Guess I was not paying attention.

I bet you can buy this resource for real money in the shop.

From a reddit post 

https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/o9k6bq/life_skill_energy/

Fishing for example takes up roughly 44 Points per retrieval, and there’s techniques like cages that take upward of 400 Points per retrieval. On average you’ll probably be retrieving four times a minute with fishing.

You get a total of 10,000 Life Skill Energy and I’d say it recovers fairly slowly. If you fully deplete the bar it seems as though it takes roughly two days to fully recover from 0 to 10,000.

On top of life skill energy, you also lose max durability on your tools, so the more you use and repair them, the more the max durability is lost on that piece of gear until you craft a new one or buy a basic common tier. If you continue to use one with a lower max durability, you will need to repair it more often, until it completely diminishes and breaks. You can restore the max durability with crafting tokens, which you may sometimes receive for log-in rewards or purchase in the cash shop.

The higher the tier, the greater the bonus on that piece of gear. For example a blue tier fishing rod might give me a 10% Chance to catch extra crafting materials, whereas a purple tier may give me a 20% Chance to catch extra crafting materials and a 6% increase to fishing speed.

As you level up your skills, you will receive various perks that help with efficiency, speed, gathering more resources, gathering rarer resources and preventing max durability loss, as well as being able to access special nodes at certain levels such as concentrated ore nodes for mining, or larger trees for lumbering, these have a higher yield overall.

The max durability decay is a great idea that helps keep crafting relevant.  Pairing it with cash shop shenanigans both feeds into a poor community "zeitgeist" in-game as well as renders the benefits of this system moot, though.

I cannot think of a poorer gameplay design innovation off the top of my head than cash shops.  It can ruin some experiences, and it does a piss poor job of enhancing experiences. 
  • faithvoidfaithvoid Member UncommonPosts: 22
    It really exceeded my expectations when I played during beta. It was really fun!
    edited February 2022
    The max durability decay is a great idea that helps keep crafting relevant.  Pairing it with cash shop shenanigans both feeds into a poor community "zeitgeist" in-game as well as renders the benefits of this system moot, though.

I cannot think of a poorer gameplay design innovation off the top of my head than cash shops.  It can ruin some experiences, and it does a piss poor job of enhancing experiences. 
    It has a negative perception but when you look at it, Lost Ark's blue gems that are converted in the cash shop from gold, are a rather superficial thing on the other versions the earning rates are stable, it's literally like paying the in-game gold, just converting it first because this game has an obsession on having a currency for literally every activity.

So the whole thing is about having a good gold income because what I always seen people do is just convert gold, buy the things they need, it flows naturally.

I don't think anyone would play Lost Ark to dedicate to life skills, they exist but they are nowhere as in-depth as BDO life skills (neither as rewarding), so it's more of a secondary activity you do as you play.

Even crafting, while very useful, it's made in a way you really won't spend more than 30 minutes on that process so it's not something you can dedicate your gameplay towards.
    TheDalaiBomba[Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    MaxBacon said:

Literally every Battle Royale game ever. 

It's the same exact game loop with a few curveballs thrown in based on which game.  And they're immensely popular!
    Yes exactly like BR's, simple game mode but the replayability factor does the trick.

The LA PvP is arena-based (where the pvp seasons and most progression is), traditional MMO GvG based, open-world PvP island events that surface on the ocean map, a full open world pvp continent faction vs faction, and larger scale match-based faction vs faction conquest.

That's why I say the PvP is doing just fine, it's seeing investment from the devs, it just needs to not messup on the balance factors and it's set to be a strong side of LA on the west as well.
    Well thanks for all the info, if it has great PvP... then I'll give a look... why not, it's free to play.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Asm0deus said:

I wasn't aware of that specific gating.  But I'm having a really hard time getting excited to play an ARPG with dailies, weeklies, time gated dungeons and raids.  Add in the fact that people keep saying you really need to play a main and at least several alts to try to keep up.

I didn't mind those systems in a super casual game MMOARPG like Marvel Heroes.  But for something with inherently competitive and try hard PVE like Lost Ark, I just can't get excited.  (Yes I know PVP is normalized but I won't be bothering with that).

Releasing at T3 apparently means picking your main is VERY important as well.  I can't be arsed to research it that much.

I think they are going to get a  metric ton of players on launch as well.  And so the server issues will likely be a real mess for a while.

And so, if I know I don't want to keep up with the Joneses, what's the rush to play at all?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Scorchien said:
    I jumped in a couple of the tests over the fall and had fun , at least in the early game I experienced , grabbed the Platinum pack , so I'll be hitting  it pretty hard come the 11th

If you bought a pack you get to start on the 8th.
    [Deleted User]
  • GatsuZerkGatsuZerk Member UncommonPosts: 137

Asm0deus said:

GatsuZerk said:

Just another P2W F2P Korean MMO. Don't know why people get so hyped over such non-sense these days.

People like to try news things, it not really that all of us are  all hyped up.  Trying new things can be fun and exciting.

This is the way.

There's nothing new about this game, it's been out for several years.

New shiny things catch the eye of simple minded folks like yourself.

There's nothing new and exciting about another P2W Korean game, period.
    Kyleran
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited February 2022
    GatsuZerk said:
    ...snip...

...snip....

It's new to most of us in the west that haven't played it.   Only simple minded folk read as much as you did into my post. 

Bless your little heart!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]cheyaneConstantineMerusKyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    GatsuZerk said:

Asm0deus said:

GatsuZerk said:

Just another P2W F2P Korean MMO. Don't know why people get so hyped over such non-sense these days.

People like to try news things, it not really that all of us are  all hyped up.  Trying new things can be fun and exciting.

This is the way.

New shiny things catch the eye of simple minded folks like yourself.

There's nothing new and exciting about another P2W Korean game, period.

[Deleted User]cheyaneConstantineMerusKyleranAsm0deus
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter