Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies Restoration III Marks Successful 2021 Launch With 2022 Roadmap Towards Final Vers

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars Galaxies Restoration III Marks Successful 2021 Launch With 2022 Roadmap Towards Final Version | MMORPG.com

Star Wars Galaxies Restoration III, a volunteer, fan-made version, is marking its successful 2021 launch with a roadmap on what to expect this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    Good for them, but I thought their server was the least populated. First I thought Legends was the biggest with about 1000-1200 followed by Emu, but then Emu launched that new server Finalizer and it literally exploded meanwhile Restoration 3 had about 150-200 players.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Good for them, but I thought their server was the least populated. First I thought Legends was the biggest with about 1000-1200 followed by Emu, but then Emu launched that new server Finalizer and it literally exploded meanwhile Restoration 3 had about 150-200 players.

Yes. I was playing from launch day until New World came online and it was great reliving the good old days of my favourite mmorpg. The game was surprisingly stable and well populated. However, when I logged onto Mos Eisley a few weeks later to check my maintenence balances, it was deserted. I know Mos eisley is the starting area but even so, I checked the auction and found very few sales going on anywhere making me think there had been quite a drop in population. I haven't been back since then and have been playing LotRO again, which still has a very healthy population.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2022
    Unfortunately, Ms Kennedy at Disney has destroyed most of the Lucas Star Wars IP and books.

Mark Hamill was shocked by the script he received for the Last Jedi... it was the antithesis of Luke's journey.  There is a common saying now for movies that nullify main character progression... "The Last Jedi Treatment".  Watch popular YouTubes on it.

FYI- the actors were under contract with Lucas before the Disney buyout (and Disney tossed the scripts)... so they were forced to act the new scripts. 

Asm0deusSabbythConstantineMerus
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Unfortunately, Ms Kennedy at Disney has destroyed most of the Lucas Star Wars IP and books.

Mark Hamill was shocked by the script he received for the Last Jedi... it was the antithesis of Luke's journey.  There is a common saying now for movies that nullify main character progression... "The Last Jedi Treatment".  Watch popular YouTubes on it.

FYI- the actors were under contract with Lucas before the Disney buyout (and Disney tossed the scripts)... so they were forced to act the new scripts. 

That second video really gets me...so sad for Mark Hamill......Disney totally crapped all over Luke Skywalker.....
    TwistedSister77

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    edited February 2022
    Return to the greatest era of Star Wars Galaxies, the Combat Upgrade! Restoration III is a Star Wars Galaxies server featuring the multi-profession system and combat style of the Combat Upgrade combined with all NGE content and expansions, all combined with regularly published new and exciting content additions and quality of life improvements.
    Ok, it seems to be CU era with added content. Which is really awesome, CU is my favorite era and only knew of pre-cu and nge private servers. I haven't played CU version since game was live.
    Post edited by achesoma on
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    achesoma said:
    Return to the greatest era of Star Wars Galaxies, the Combat Upgrade! Restoration III is a Star Wars Galaxies server featuring the multi-profession system and combat style of the Combat Upgrade combined with all NGE content and expansions, all combined with regularly published new and exciting content additions and quality of life improvements.
    Ok, it seems to be CU era with added content. Which is really awesome, CU is my favorite era and only knew of pre-cu and nge private servers. I haven't played CU version since game was live.

Pre-cu was absolute shit, but it was a good time to be an mmo player so we all loved it's "quirks and features" and just dealt with it at the time because it was Star Wars. Is it fun now? Not really, but it's kinda like visiting that museum of oddities for some I guess. You only need to visit it once to see all the weird stuff, but you probably won't go back again because it gave you nightmares.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I might be in the minority, but i kinda liked the whole "Luke was just a poor kid pushed in to a role he had none of the skills to handle and then the entire universe shat on him when he unavoidably fucked up" Because that is how it is. He was never a hero, nor did he have any qualities that really made him stand out. Sure he had the force, but that was pretty much the end of it. And all that was doing for him was creating death and sorrow.

The fact that he just noped out rather than go to the dark side is a testament to his character more than anything.

As for Star Wars Galaxies... As much as i enjoyed playing a Image Designer and Tailor... I have no hope of being able to relive that, because even SOE felt that it was a mistake to tie things to those classes (heck i remember the "get a musician mule to give you the buffs" post from the devs)
    eoloeSensai

This have been a good conversation

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Do you still need to have a copy of SWG before you can play any of these?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I want to know how SWG isn't taken down by Disney yet they wouldn't even let Marvel Heroes return when Trion bought the studio that made it. :(  
    Upari
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

olepi said:

Do you still need to have a copy of SWG before you can play any of these?

NO, just go to the site and down load everything there.

https://swgr.org/home/
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited February 2022
    I want to know how SWG isn't taken down by Disney yet they wouldn't even let Marvel Heroes return when Trion bought the studio that made it. :(  
    -  it's a for free site so they aren't making money off of it
    -  Lucus said it was OK to do
    -  more importantly SWG is officially abandonware

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Nebless said:
    -  it's a for free site so they aren't making money off of it
    -  Lucus said it was OK to do
    -  more importantly SWG is officially abandonware
    When did Lucas say it was OK?  

Abandonware doesn't really work when dealing with massive IPs owned by Disney.

Mendel
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited February 2022
    When did Lucas say it was OK?  

Abandonware doesn't really work when dealing with massive IPs owned by Disney.
    Way back when SWGEMU was starting out after SWG was shut down.  The story goes that someone from the project contacted him and asked and he said as long as you never make money off of it, he didn't care.

I guess it would depend on the contract between Lucus and Disney and if SWG was included in it or it just said 'current games'. 

One would think if Disney had an interest in the game they never would have let it go to abandonware.

I'd also take it as a sign it's OK, since this site doesn't have a problem with it and they did for quite a long time, before allowing SWG emu's open discussions.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132

the dark side of the force is very strong these days. It owns Disney, it owns everything. 
    TwistedSister77
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • UpariUpari Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Don’t get excited yet. Kotor remake was taken down also. Swg being free and not making money doesn’t matter. Either does ”deals” maked with Lucas. Disney is in charge now and they might take swg down just out of spite.
  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    I just don't care anymore, I want something new, I don't want to keep playing old.
    Mendel
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    It's the third server by these folks for a reason.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Upari said:
    Don’t get excited yet. Kotor remake was taken down also. Swg being free and not making money doesn’t matter. Either does ”deals” maked with Lucas. Disney is in charge now and they might take swg down just out of spite.
    I think it's starting up again. The Knights of the Old Republic remake.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-22/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-kotor-changes-studio
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Sovrath said:
    Upari said:
    I think it's starting up again. The Knights of the Old Republic remake.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-22/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-kotor-changes-studio
    It wasn't a KOTOR remake that was taken down, it was a community project recreating SWG in the Unreal 4 engine: https://ko-fi.com/ue4swg

Since he was literally recreating Star Wars assets for a completely rebuilt game, it's a little different than using available code and reverse engineering a server.