Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a blast, but wait is my advice

DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
I am really enjoying myself in the game.  The graphics are wonderful, the mechanics are fun, and I haven't had any glitches in terms of playing the game.  This isn't intended as a review, so I'm just laying the ground work for my recommendation of my position on my recommendation to wait.  I am not a hater, so I don't want people to think that this is some kind of attack piece.

I see waiting as a 2 tier recommendation and depends on your tolerance.  Different people have different ranges of acceptability.:

Tier 1 (Short term wait):  There is a significant problem in logging into the main world.  A whole bunch of folks are tooling around the tutorial island and getting their skills up for when the server issue is resolved and transfer to the mainland is fixed.  For that reason I recommend waiting until the issue is resolved unless you don't mind playing on tutorial island.  I personally don't, because I'm getting my skills up and preparing my character to the migration to mainland.

Tier 2 (Long term wait):  The server issues are a relatively short term problem.  However, the game isn't complete.  They've made it perfectly clear that launch wasn't including everything, so you can discount the people who claim that they've been bamboozled by buying an incomplete game.  If it's made known, IMO, you lose the right to claim the devs have somehow suckered people into buying a game that isn't feature rich.  So, for those who want the complete experience and aren't of a mind to want to be fed features bit by bit, I would wait until you feel there are enough of the features for you not to be frustrated.
[Deleted User]Tokkenultimateduck

Comments

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Qbertq said:
    They've made it perfectly clear that launch wasn't including everything, so you can discount the people who claim that they've been bamboozled by buying an incomplete game.  If it's made known, IMO, you lose the right to claim the devs have somehow suckered people into buying a game that isn't feature rich.
    Just for my clarity, where on the Steam page is that stated by the developers? The only  thing I can see that would even vaguely imply this is the Subscription paragraph:

Subscription

"The base game of Mortal Online 2 comes with one month of game time included, after which players will need to maintain an active monthly subscription to continue playing the game. During early access players can play in the closed beta without needing a subscription until the full release. When the game leaves Early Access all progress made during the beta will be reset."

Which, oddly, this game doesn't have the early access tag or disclaimer, so one would presume it's not in early access and is therefore fully released.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and started sifting through the "Recent Events & Announcements" section of Steam to see if there was anything in there from the Devs and nothing stood out to tell me, the common gamer, this game was being released incomplete. Disclaimer: I didn't open and go through each and every announcement there, which I also have never done for any other game on Steam.

I get the feeling you're talking from the perspective of someone who has thoroughly researched the game and/or is part of communities where this information was shared. That information being made known in select locations doesn't constitute making it "... perfectly clear..." in my book.

For my curiosity, where was this information?
    KyleranGreatness[Deleted User]
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    Linif said:
    Qbertq said:
    They've made it perfectly clear that launch wasn't including everything, so you can discount the people who claim that they've been bamboozled by buying an incomplete game.  If it's made known, IMO, you lose the right to claim the devs have somehow suckered people into buying a game that isn't feature rich.
    Just for my clarity, where on the Steam page is that stated by the developers? The only  thing I can see that would even vaguely imply this is the Subscription paragraph:

Subscription

"The base game of Mortal Online 2 comes with one month of game time included, after which players will need to maintain an active monthly subscription to continue playing the game. During early access players can play in the closed beta without needing a subscription until the full release. When the game leaves Early Access all progress made during the beta will be reset."

Which, oddly, this game doesn't have the early access tag or disclaimer, so one would presume it's not in early access and is therefore fully released.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and started sifting through the "Recent Events & Announcements" section of Steam to see if there was anything in there from the Devs and nothing stood out to tell me, the common gamer, this game was being released incomplete. Disclaimer: I didn't open and go through each and every announcement there, which I also have never done for any other game on Steam.

I get the feeling you're talking from the perspective of someone who has thoroughly researched the game and/or is part of communities where this information was shared. That information being made known in select locations doesn't constitute making it "... perfectly clear..." in my book.

For my curiosity, where was this information?
    Here is a link to their roadmap and what was going to be in at

http://release%20https//www.mortalonline2.com/roadmap/

It shows what's going to be in at release.  However, I will do the unthinkable in these days and times and walk back what I said and not spin this into proving that I was correct...at least completely.  There is a large amount of 'institutional knowledge' on what's in MO1 that is known throughout the MO community on what still needs to be added that anyone looking in won't see.  To be fair to myself, if all you have is this roadmap, then that is all you should expect.

Either way, I'll concede that it isn't necessarily clear.  That's what I get for adding commentary when my main points are still valid as far as my advice is concerned.  Tier 1 wait for short term fixes to server issues or tier 2, which is to wait for a longer period until more features are added.

Thanks for calling this out.  I do try to provide honest answers or commentary and if I'm wrong or even not entirely correct, I do wish to know for future and to help steer me onto the correct course.  Sorry it took so long, I only check back periodically.

laserit[Deleted User]
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Im kinda wondering if its ok if I admit Im actually having a great time in MO2 :P 
    I was very sceptical at first, considering all the really bad comments from more or less everywhere, but I decided to test it out. So I dont really know what to say. I dont really have any new arguments or big points as to why others should play it, actually oddly enough some of its core misses is whats intriguing me and interesting me.

The world is oddly naked and gives almost no response or feature to players. This is true. But it is also true, from a personal point of view this has made player made features extremely viable and visible. Just like right now, some guys made a village up in Spider valley where I used to mine. I dont know who they are, and if I dare enter with less than a good sized group, I will be executed on sight. Harsh but it totally changed the world I used to know. 

Politics and agreements are insanely important in this game. You have to know all tags, and alliances will be broken any given moment unless the fundament is really good. Players again makes the history.

Everything breaks. Everything. And resorces are scarse. Making trading, guarding, crafting not only optional but fundamental, and the only way to achieve you personal or your groups goal, is by interacting with players. Again. You cant farm a boss for loot. And if you kill some really big monster the reward is whatever that creature is made of or wears. Theres no magical golden axe from the spider queen. You can skin it and use her carcass to craft stuff. 

Launch has been brutal. Ive played mmorpgs since UO, and Anarchy Online (maybe my preferred game of all time). Probably the worst launch I have ever experienced. Core mechanics are missing. Hell, the server cant handle more than about 3k players (I think), so this is never gonna be anything else than a very niche game. Henrik, the developer, talks about his visions. His dreams, as if they were only a week or so close to being fulfilled, while evidence shows hes either delutional or full of crap. Lag is real at times. Players are exploiting and nothing really is being done about it (heard rumours about chinese gold farmers being banned, but who knows...). Its gonna take one special idiot or asshole to enjoy this game, I suppose.

Still I do. A lot. Combat is wonky, doesnt feel awesome. Theres no dodging, theres no real logic as to why a stone mineral is the better option for some weapons and swords. Still, I craft it and try to use it.

Maybe its the fact people who know the weirdish combat system can take out anyone and almost as many as they want wearing nothing than a dagger, and I hope to get there soon? I suppose most of the reason why I like it so much, is that Im so done with the rollercoaster game genre. Where npc and ai is everything. You as a player HAVE to create the content. 

I hope the developers manage to squeaze in some more players. And If by any odd chance Henrik actually manage to see a tenth of what he has promised go through and into the game, I think its gonna be just awesome.

What I miss the most? Sieges and any true meaning for castles. As of now I suppose these castles are nothing but big chests with a locker.

[Deleted User]Brainyultimateduck
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    edited June 2022
    The game just feels extremely low effort. I cleared out an entire camp of bandits for example, go into their makeshift settlement and there was literally nothing to loot...open their chests...empty. Search bags/pots/urns all empty, giant pot of cooking stew in the middle...nope cant eat their food. Completely un-immersive and evident of poor effort in this game development. Pretty funny considering how all you hear about this game is how immersive it is.
    TheDalaiBomba
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    The problem is that they repeated the same mistakes they made when rolling out MO1... and in many ways, other than graphics... MO2 launched in a worse state and with less functionality than MO1 had.

This is why it's stock bounced to .18 USD in the lead up to MO2 launch, and now sits at .04 USD...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  And in this case they didn't learn that launching a buggy, half-finished game is a recipe to fail. As of today their "Roadmap" still shows core parts of the game like Territory Control Construction, Sieging and even Thievery as... future.

Without the real territory control they launched just like they launched MO, and failed for the same reason... the game is just gangs of roaming murder-hobos looking for targets.

Looks like the average day seems to have them peak a little under 1000 players.

Such a shame.  But at least the queues worked themselves out...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited June 2022
    Players saying it is still effectively in early access, released too soon. But certainly will be looking at how it is doing at the end of the year.
    The problem is that they repeated the same mistakes they made when rolling out MO1... and in many ways, other than graphics... MO2 launched in a worse state and with less functionality than MO1 had.

This is why it's stock bounced to .18 USD in the lead up to MO2 launch, and now sits at .04 USD...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  And in this case they didn't learn that launching a buggy, half-finished game is a recipe to fail. As of today their "Roadmap" still shows core parts of the game like Territory Control Construction, Sieging and even Thievery as... future.

Without the real territory control they launched just like they launched MO, and failed for the same reason... the game is just gangs of roaming murder-hobos looking for targets.

Played some more today and it really is kind of just Murder Hobos Online. Worst yet I sincerely question the mental health of people that enjoy the games gathering. Starting at rocks, trees, plants and pressing R for hours to get resources you need is beyond boring. 

Also cannot fathom why people find the combat endearing. Its so clunky even when you get a hang of the blocking, parrying, attacking, spell casting, etc. 

I really would like to try and get to the point where maybe I enjoy this game because of the sandbox style but I really dont think its going to happen…the core gameplay and systems are so bad.
    Kyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Treat these games as you made a donation and you get to play half a game out of it and come in with a non AAA expectation. It's ok but there's better choices out there. Only good thing about it is you can make a house and it'll stand out and you can block people and make them pay a fee to pass. Lol.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The first MO left such a bad taste that I have no interest in the 2nd one......The whole nature of FFA PVP full loot games is just a turn off....Feels like a waste of time.
    Remali
  • skrowlskrowl Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I can't imagine they're going to be able to keep a subscription on this one for much longer.

I might buy it once it goes buy to play no sub, but I have a feeling full free-to-play is in the not too distant future for this one.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    skrowl said:
    I can't imagine they're going to be able to keep a subscription on this one for much longer.

I might buy it once it goes buy to play no sub, but I have a feeling full free-to-play is in the not too distant future for this one.
    What they should have done was offered all the poor folks that bought MO1 a free copy of MO2 and a month or two to try it out.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

skrowl said:

I'm not sure you're aware, but they aren't charging a subscription yet.  They know that's it's rough around the edges and needs some more content.  Everyone is playing for free (minus the actual purchase).  When they think the time is right, they'll begin to charge the subscription.
    Kyleraneoloe

Played some more today and it really is kind of just Murder Hobos Online. Worst yet I sincerely question the mental health of people that enjoy the games gathering. Starting at rocks, trees, plants and pressing R for hours to get resources you need is beyond boring. 

Also cannot fathom why people find the combat endearing. Its so clunky even when you get a hang of the blocking, parrying, attacking, spell casting, etc. 

I really would like to try and get to the point where maybe I enjoy this game because of the sandbox style but I really dont think its going to happen…the core gameplay and systems are so bad.
    When you leave tutorial island, it defaults to a city that is a 'free' city, which means anything goes.  It's also not intuitive on how to change your starting location.  This is definitely something they need to fix, since it does give the impression that murder is all there is.  Also, the combat...some like it, some don't.  For that, it's the same thing I hear about every game.
  • JpbonezJpbonez Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I think im going to try this one out... Hope its worth it! IT looks amazing.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Scot said:
    Players saying it is still effectively in early access, released too soon. But certainly will be looking at how it is doing at the end of the year.
    How's it looking
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Dont people just fall behind further the longer they wait in these kind of games?
    Dont people just fall behind further the longer they wait in these kind of games?
    Correct. Sadly if you aren't an early adopter you are mostly going to be always behind the power curve.