Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Codemasters MMORPG?

An email is circulating from Codemasters which states that "RF Online" will be the first MMORPG from the recently unveiled online division at Codemasters. The game blends sci-fi and fantasy and is being adapted to English, from the Asian market, by the folks at Codemasters.

Hi folks,

As you have been loyal followers of our MMO activity and so many of you have been with us since the Dragon Empires days, we have decided to break some incredibly exciting news to you FIRST! That's correct, you get to hear this news several days before even the press release goes out!

So what's the news? Well, Codemasters is delighted to announce the signing of a deal to bring you the stunning and huge hit MMO title, RF Online! That's right! http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=280

"OMG what's that?!" I hear you cry. RF Online is a visually breathtaking, exciting game that has a stunning mix of fantasy and science fiction.

You can play as one of three races - the Cora, a mystical, magical elf-like race, or as the Bellato, a race that have mastered engineering and as a result have built and can drive mechs! You can also play as the deadly Accretians, a race of robots that have incredible technology, futuristic weapons and driven by their desire for destruction and power.

Whatever race you choose know that war is never too far away and daily you can support your chosen faction in huge realm versus realm battles in order to win control over the precious resource mines on the planet.

Well before I get carried away, that's enough to whet your appetite. For more information be sure to visit our new RF Online website launching soon and in the meantime why don't you stop by the brand new forum to take part in discussions with your future friends and foes! http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=280

Whilst I'm on the subject of forums I would like to introduce you to the community manager that will be looking after RF Online. It's our very own Mike, aka Zzeno, who we have brought over from the dark side of FPS and PC war games :) A lot of you will already know him from the other Codemasters forums so it's home from home! He's been secretly studying the game for some time now so will be able to answer all of your burning questions. We're glad he saw sense and decided to join us. Welcome Zzeno!

Well that's the first of our big news - expect some more in the near future! It's going to be one heck of a ride ;)

Sam 'Satine' Russell
Community Liaison Manager
Codemasters Software Limited
http://www.codemasters.com

With the bevy of recent announcements, we knew they were up to something...

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

Hold on, let me look into my crystal ball here real quick...image

18 months later...
    "Due to lack of available personnel for coding the servers to english from their original language and lack of budget AND BACKBONE! We are going to be canceling our production of a english version of RF online. Our sincerest apologies to all the community that followed this game and blah blah blah..."

Ok, maybe that was a little "uncalled for", but if it makes them feel any better I feel so dirty now I think I need to take a shower.image

But someone had to say it...

BTW, big risk takers those people over there at CM. Do they wear life jackets and GPS tracking bracelets when they go to work too?

Ok, I better stop before I get myself in trouble.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• ReRollerReRoller Member Posts: 61

Rising Force (RF) Online link

I am a little confused. Is this a new title for gamers or codemasters?

I think there is already a RF online out in korea. link

The first english version is being made for the Philippines by levelupgames. link

With a giant leap and resounding thud codemasters jumped into the mmorpg pool with their leaky floaty dragon empires. Is this codemasters baby step into the mmorpg market by simply moving an existing korean game across the ocean?

• skebambaskebamba Member Posts: 2

i'm really looking out for this game. I hope codemasters don't mess it up as there first mmorpg..

think it's easier for them to translate and convert a excisting mmorpg then create a brand new one for the first time.

• StranglepussStranglepuss Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by ReRoller

The first english version is being made for the Philippines by levelupgames. link
    With a giant leap and resounding thud codemasters jumped into the mmorpg pool with their leaky floaty dragon empires. Is this codemasters baby step into the mmorpg market by simply moving an existing korean game across the ocean?

Yep. It's in retail in a few place, Korea, Taiwan, and I believe China/Japan.
    For more info on RFOnline, go to www.rfbase.com

• MUHzzxK0MUHzzxK0 Member Posts: 389

Not only in korea - http://www.levelupgames.ph/rf/

I checked it out and i sounds VERY much like the one codemasters is making...  but rising force is being developed by Level up! inc.

Is something wrong here, eh? image

Originally posted by MUHzzxK0

Not only in korea - http://www.levelupgames.ph/rf/

I checked it out and i sounds VERY much like the one codemasters is making...  but rising force is being developed by Level up! inc.

Is something wrong here, eh? image

LevelUp's is for Phillipines, they're doing their own english tranlation of the CCR RFO
    CodeMaster's is also doing a different translation, form what I understand, not similar to LUG's version because it's more localised in language, and they both have different views on how they're going to release it.

For example, CM is going to make it more Westernised for NA/UK, probably meaning less grind, etc

Aahh i see... but who made it in first place? I just find it kinda stupid that they are raping this idea in every part of the world =/

Originally posted by MUHzzxK0

Aahh i see... but who made it in first place? I just find it kinda stupid that they are raping this idea in every part of the world =/

Nobody's raping it, everybody bought publishing rights from CCR, the original makers.
  • IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

I guess if you can't make one, buy one, right?

Originally posted by Iijs

Well, then you obviously haven't played RFO. It is a unique game in terms of gameplay/style. Unfortunately the screenshots don't do it justice image

Originally posted by Iijs

I guess your right =/

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515
    I really dislike games that give you a choice of a whopping 3 races. Why, in this day and age, do they feel that is an acceptable amount of player choice? So what if you only want 3 sides in the conflict, assign different races to each side.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• ZzenoZzeno Codemasters Community ManagerMember Posts: 15

FYI:

RF Online is being brought over from Korea by ourselves and being fully localised, distributed, marketed and hosted by ourselves. We intend to launch this as our first MMO to the western market.

I understand that many people felt bitten by what happened to DE and are still very bitter with codemasters over that situation. I hope we can work through those problems and build that trust up once more.

Codemasters intends to make a stamp into the MMO world, hopefully for the better ;) , and RF will be the first of many other titles that we announce (more on that in the next couple of months). We hope that any past mistakes will be forgiven and that RF will show you that we do have some special plans up our sleeves for you guys.

If you do have any specific questions and want to get hold of me feel free to mail me, pm me here or even better, pm me on teh Codemasters forums.....I'll be quicker to respond as I'm on there quite a bit as of late :D

Michael Rowland
    Producer
    Codemasters Online

• MazokNorMazokNor Member CommonPosts: 23

Hell after they got there 20+ Million € Investment from Benchmark Capital Europe, they create a VideoGame -on-Demand Platform(http://www.funsta.com/), and Buy a license ... uhh great ... what a waste ...

• AngelysAngelys Member Posts: 18

I got the email offering me "exclusive member knowledge" as well, and I was totaly unimpressed by what I saw. Judging by the replies to this topic, I'm not the only one.

I guess Codemasters just think that it's not worth the money invested in R&D when the result is going to be almost exactly the same as countless other games already on the market or in development. And let's be honest, other than names and looks, how different is any MMORPG to the ones before? you learn from their mistakes, tweak a couple of features, add nice graphics and hope that nobody notices that you can get the same gameplay anywhere else. The market is totally saturated with MMORPGs right now, and only a couple of them will survive in the long term. Again, I think this suits the companies because it means they can get that initial hype and burst of interest (and cash) then they don't have to continue support.

Unless this game ofers something totally unique that you can't get anywhere else (and the website didn't sell that to me) it's pointless - a mere facelift. I'm very disappointed that the same people who created totally amazing games in the 80s are now jumping on the same bandwagon as everyone else.

Now a Dizzy MMORPG - that has possibilities... :)

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

I was surprised at first that they were going publisher route, but overall, I'm happy they decided to go this route. They figured that R&D is a daunting task, and they figured they should start small first. I like it, not only is publishing going to be a little bit less stressful, but they will be able to bring in a really good title to the western market, and from there, they can build on that experience and hopefully start developing some great games like what Dragon Empires was supposed to be.

• jetstormjetstorm Member UncommonPosts: 2

Start smale def not, this hold some records in korra, highest amount players to sign up on beta.

and is 1 the bigest mmo over there.

It about time a company got down to buying the english rights to host it, if had the type money to buy rights would dune and hosted my self, as this game just shows what can be mayed.

• rauscatalinrauscatalin Member Posts: 1

I am very disapointed they canceled Dragon Empires. I don't understand why they cancel one very good looking mmorpg just to release another one who look ... well... it look very ugly. Or maybe the screenshots are not good...

It doesn't matter , that is not the way you sell your goods on the market.

Bad strategy in my opinion.