Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding NFTs 101

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:
    My daughter is an artist.
    Her and her husband contacted an NFT wholesaler.

They want her to create some base images that can be recombined, say a dragon, then a series of hats the dragons can wear, then other interchangeable items (just as you described) so that from a handful of options up to 10,000 combinations can be created and sold for $80 each.  In the process they'll mark some as 'rare'.

There is no value to these NFT images beyond the hype.

They don't get "marked" as rare they are statistically due to the combinations. 1% have x hair 2% have x background etc. The value is the quality of the art.

Tell her to do it man. and make sure she gets paid. Right now people in the space are able to take advantage of others who are not like artist. They don't know the worth. She should even try to ink a royalty deal. 

Real talk if she does decide to do it, and you guys have any questions I'd be happy to help or even point you to the right people. 

That is a kind and generous offer; however, I don't want her to produce NFTs.
    I want her to learn the value of getting paid for making a real contribution.

Getting rich for an hour of work is the last thing I want to happen to her.
    She's an artist man! It's a beautiful new world for them today. All I'm gonna say.

Well done pops.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited January 2022
    Dattelis said:
    To me this just feels like FOMO in the sense that people dont want to miss out on something that could potentially be big. The likelihood of this or crypto not performing as some people might want it will just draw in more people wanting to get in on the boom more-so than the actual stability. To translate it to a more gamer friendly way of looking at it, it feels like a lot of people are treating this as a 'market flip' (where some people make a lot of money in mmorpgs buying low and selling high). In a way, they're creating their own game out of this.
    To add to my last comment on this. "LFG" is what's said when people join a NFT community. 

Just grabbed my first ____ LFG! Do #LFG on twitter all you will see are NFT related things.

Gamers at the core.

klash2def
  • RaphRaph MMO DesignerMember UncommonPosts: 201
    Raph Koster is building a blockchain game right now.

No, we're not :smile:
    maskedweaselQuizzical[Deleted User]OldKingLogbcbullyklash2defIselinlaseritTuor7
    Raph said:

What are your thoughts on blockchain/nft/p2e games?

Can you see your team making one?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Raph said:

That's really interesting. I'd like to hear more about it cause when you raised 10 mil from galaxy interactive I was pretty sure it said you were. Or at least meant to use the technology as part of the cloud native approach. 
    bcbully

edited January 2022
    Raph said:

That's really interesting. I'd like to hear more about it cause when you raised 10 mil from galaxy interactive I was pretty sure it said you were. Or at least meant to use the technology as part of the cloud native approach. 
    link please sir

edit - found it
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/12/playable-worlds-first-a-game-then-the-metaverse/
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir
    https://www.playableworlds.com/news/playable-worlds-raises-dollar10m-for-the-creation-of-its-cloud-native-sandbox-mmo/

edited January 2022
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir
    https://www.playableworlds.com/news/playable-worlds-raises-dollar10m-for-the-creation-of-its-cloud-native-sandbox-mmo/
    Cloud native /= blockchain.
    Galaxy Interactive is 100% about NFTs and blockchain tech. That's all they do. 

edit - what you think about the TRV animation vid? Thought you may have dropped in 
    maskedweasel
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir
    You're right. But still. With as little as we know about the game if you read that, plus all the other articles where he talks about NFTs what conclusion would you come to. Just saying. 

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Raph said:

Oh sure we're supposed to take your word over that of some random bloke on the internet. :D

Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir
    You're right. But still. With as little as we know about the game if you read that, plus all the other articles where he talks about NFTs what conclusion would you come to. Just saying. 
    Well the conclusion im coming to is he's trying to scam galaxy interactive...
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir
    The article uses the word "blockchain" six times, but never says that the game will use blockchain.  Rather, it says that the companies funding the game create blockchain tools.  One could also argue that a "blockchain game" should mean a game where blockchain is the point of the game, rather than a game that incidentally uses blockchain in some minor way.

It's also not entirely clear what "cloud-native" means in this context.  That could mean anything from "the game servers are hosted by AWS" (they wouldn't be the first) to "the game is only playable via streaming" (which would ruin most games) to "we use docker extensively" (not necessarily bad, but weird to make that a selling point).
    maskedweasel
    Torval said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir

Galaxy Interactive is built on blockchain technology, but nowhere in that article does it say the game will be built using blockchain technology. Even if they used GI's infrastructure for something the tech on top of it doesn't necessarily need to be built on blockchain. The game they're building may know nothing about how the underlying cloud service is structured. It could be very similar to how virtual machines and cloud services work now. The OS and app in our Docker Container doesn't know squat about what's running it.

Here is the blurb from the article that leads me to believe this. I can see how it might be confusing because GI is blockchain based and heavily into asset management though and both are discussed in the same paragraph.

Playable Worlds is developing a sandbox MMO built from the ground up for the cloud, ultimately opening a pathway to brand new kinds of gameplay and game experiences in worlds that feel more real and immersive than previously imagined.

Now this may enable worlds within their "metaverse" to leverage blockchain technologies (or not), but that would be up to Raph and/or Playable Worlds to explain. And if I have this wrong, then feel free to correct me.

Thats just it. We don't know. That's why I asked raph if he would explain more. We don't know much, so it's easy to jump to conclusions. I'm not above saying I'm wrong.

Raph would know how his game is built.

I do wonder how and why galaxy interactive got involved and how playable worlds is leveraging their tech. 
    [Deleted User]bcbully

Torval said:
    Thats just it. We don't know. That's why I asked raph if he would explain more. We don't know much, so it's easy to jump to conclusions. I'm not above saying I'm wrong.

I do wonder how and why galaxy interactive got involved and how playable worlds is leveraging their tech. 

I added a little more info to my post for clarity. I too would like to hear from Raph if he can and will comment on it.

Venturing a bit of a guess is that while GI is heavily into blockchain they're also into cloud native technologies. Also, the VC arm may be more interested in the game and platform purely from an investment perspective much like YCombinator is. YC invests in various startup techs they feel make a good investment.
    Would you give ralph 10 million to make a cloud based sandbox mmorpg?
    maskedweasel
    Torval said:

I added a little more info to my post for clarity. I too would like to hear from Raph if he can and will comment on it.

Venturing a bit of a guess is that while GI is heavily into blockchain they're also into cloud native technologies. Also, the VC arm may be more interested in the game and platform purely from an investment perspective much like YCombinator is. YC invests in various startup techs they feel make a good investment.
    You're probably right. It could just be that they invested because it's a good investment. 

It's just so strange. Seeing as how most "metaverses" in development are pretty much hardwired for blockchain in some way. Even if it isn't built on blockchain initially, they plan to implement NFTs or some kind of token currency. 

Then this one pops up and is backed by a huge blockchain tech company but doesn't use it. Or at least, maybe not in the way one expects? It is intriguing. Hopefully he comes back to clarify. 
    [Deleted User]

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Torval said:
    Maybe there is future potential to incorporate crypto and nft tech into some of the metaverse worlds that live in the game? Maybe it will be up to the world creators themselves. This is where Raph could bring better clarity because I'm just looking at possibilities and guessing.

There was a good article the other day, I should have copied it....Basically it said you know who is driving the crypto market? The companies that do the crypto to cash exchanges....They make a fortune off of it by getting people to pay cash for crypto. It amazes me that people are just going nuts over this stuff, but it appears the get rich quick schemes are stronger than ever in 2022.
    OldKingLogMendel
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Torval said:
    Maybe there is future potential to incorporate crypto and nft tech into some of the metaverse worlds that live in the game? Maybe it will be up to the world creators themselves. This is where Raph could bring better clarity because I'm just looking at possibilities and guessing.

There was a good article the other day, I should have copied it....Basically it said you know who is driving the crypto market? The companies that do the crypto to cash exchanges....They make a fortune off of it by getting people to pay cash for crypto. It amazes me that people are just going nuts over this stuff, but it appears the get rich quick schemes are stronger than ever in 2022.

bcbully
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    bcbully said:
    Torval said:

Would you give ralph 10 million to make a cloud based sandbox mmorpg?
    I wouldn't give anyone $10 million dollars to make any sort of game unless I were so rich that that was a very small fraction of my wealth.  Computer games are far too volatile of investments to be reliable, and you don't want to risk losing it all on one bad investment.

That's not to say that games are bad investments in themselves.  Rather, it's saying that a triple or nothing gamble at 50% odds of each with your entire retirement is a bad idea even though the expected value is to gain 50%.
    maskedweasel
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir

edit - what you think about the TRV animation vid? Thought you may have dropped in 
    I haven't been paying much attention to the goings on around here or elsewhere in the blockchain scamoverse. Been recovering from Covid.
    Hopefully you're feeling better! I hear it can drag on for a while for some. 
    [Deleted User]

“Playable Worlds is designed from the ground up as a massively scalable ‘games as a network’ service, leveraging the compute and on-demand access that cloud infrastructure, asset streaming and procedural generation enable,” Englebardt said. “The end result should be a huge, fully explorable, living, digital world, which we find to be an incredibly compelling idea.”

If you read the stuff we have been posting on our site about virtual goods, you will see that a core point we keep making is around the complexity of "ownership" in virtual worlds. Series starts here but there are five of them: https://www.playableworlds.com/news/riffs-by-raph:-how-virtual-worlds-work-part-1/

Can blockchain evolve into something that becomes a core part of the metaverse? Sure. It's a distributed ledger system. There are uses for that.

We've actually said quite a lot about what we're making... just haven't announced the game just yet :)

maskedweaselbcbullylaserit[Deleted User]Scot
    Oh, and if you want to follow our goings-on more closely, there's always the Discord that some players set up: https://discord.gg/pRTkpkq

bcbullylaseritmaskedweasel
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Raph said:

link please sir

I haven't been paying much attention to the goings on around here or elsewhere in the blockchain scamoverse. Been recovering from Covid.
    Glad you're back man.
    [Deleted User]maskedweasel
    Raph said:
    “Playable Worlds is designed from the ground up as a massively scalable ‘games as a network’ service, leveraging the compute and on-demand access that cloud infrastructure, asset streaming and procedural generation enable,” Englebardt said. “The end result should be a huge, fully explorable, living, digital world, which we find to be an incredibly compelling idea.”

If you read the stuff we have been posting on our site about virtual goods, you will see that a core point we keep making is around the complexity of "ownership" in virtual worlds. Series starts here but there are five of them: https://www.playableworlds.com/news/riffs-by-raph:-how-virtual-worlds-work-part-1/

Can blockchain evolve into something that becomes a core part of the metaverse? Sure. It's a distributed ledger system. There are uses for that.

We've actually said quite a lot about what we're making... just haven't announced the game just yet :)

I believe in you Raph, and I know you're a great developer. But I gotta be honest, a lot of these articles are so general in explanation that there's no way to really read between the lines on some of what you talk about. 

In the first venturebeat article you posted, it stated you weren't implementing NFT or cryptocurrency "right now" but that was the full extent of any mention of blockchain or NFTs, and cryptocurrency and NFT's aren't the entirety of the use of blockchain. 

The interesting thing is that your articles DO talk about ownership, which is a really weird conversation to have for a game that doesn't intend to implement systems where a main selling point is "ownership". 

There's a lot of parity between what you explain in these articles and the development of a lot of other blockchain-based metaverses. 

"It’s all good to talk about metaverse dreams. But we’re practical people here at Playable Worlds. We’re not in this for virtual goods speculation. We’re not in this for acronyms."

In a way it's almost an anti-blockchain focus of ideas on ownership and persistence to contrast very similar ideas in blockchain games. 

I only end up with more questions. 

bcbully[Deleted User]

edited January 2022
    Online ownership really isn't that difficult these days.
    maskedweasel
    edited January 2022
    Speaking of Bitkraft - Piers Kicks on Runescape, Yield Guild, Play & Earn
    https://www.realvision.com/shows/raoul-pal-adventures-in-crypto/videos/investing-in-gaming

"Soul motive shouldn't be the profit motive" 

Great listen. Good knowledge @maskedweasel talking about things the way you see things

edit at 22:17 Piers talks about MetaMundo and Interoperability. When a creator makes an NFT metamundo makes copies of that item for the different metaverse. 

Populating game worlds with individualized ownable AI... WOW
    Post edited by bcbully on
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]