Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding NFTs 101

TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
edited January 2022 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Josh Hayes did an awesome job explaining NFTs.  Worth a watch:

Since some will not watch, let me bastardize his video:

1) NFTs are a picture/song/video REPESENTATION of a unique database location... verified by blockchain... to be a unique location.  Like a primary key in MS Access or SQL databases (but over the whole internet).

2) Blockchain DOES NOT verify the picture/media is unique... just the server database location is... so duplicate pictures could be out there... again, the media is just a visual representation of a unique row on a server.

3) you own ZERO rights to the NFT displayed, instead you own the server location (row #123456 on server X). Oh, and the database administrator can change in the future what image is displayed by your location. 

4) Many NFTs are computer generated, because they need millions of images to sell.  Example: The monkey NFTs are computer generated by mixing portions of an image together into unique combinations (e.g. top of head, eye region, mouth region).  Another example is straight up theft of images online by computer algorithms.

5) only about 300k people own NFTs, and a small percentage own 80% of all NFTs.

6) Insider trading to increased the perceived value of a database location (NFT) is rampant (I can keep selling to myself... but people won't know it's me... in order to give the impression a specific NFT is really in demand and worth a lot of $... then I sell it for real to a bagholder.)

7) Game item NFTs are not transferable to other games, don't buy into that. You cannot use those items in other games.

8) Yes, complete scam.  It is a pyramid scam, it requires a massive amount of new bagholders to keep growing.  You own a server location only, there are unlimited amount of locations that can be created (unlike Bitcoin).

9) "NFT Bros" is the terminology used for the apologists and people pushing/defending this scam in posts.

--- Now my opinion, using NFTs to have unique server locations can be useful for transactions or database security (e.g. prevent duping of items in a MMORPG).  However, to buy a NFT for collecting value... ponzi scam.   Now, if an NFT came with a copyright of the original media... that would be different.
Slapshot1188ConstantineMerusmaskedweaselRungarKyleranScotWalkinGlennQuizzicalbcbullyklash2defand 2 others.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    For someone who did a "great job" at explaining what NFTs are, he still got a lot wrong. 

It's just like everything else, you have someone against something, and people who want to believe one over the other choose to. 

It just shows how entrenched people will be in their beliefs. Understand the technology and you'll understand what can and can't be done. 

For example, NFTs of COURSE can be brought from one game to the next. It actually has nothing to do with what the NFT is to begin with, or its representation from one game to the next. 

Super funny that people think it's some sort of trick that this is possible, it just goes to show you how little they actually know. The image connected to the token doesn't have to be the representation of the item in game, it only needs to read the hash to translate to an in game asset. 

[Deleted User]lahnmirklash2def

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    For someone who did a "great job" at explaining what NFTs are, he still got a lot wrong. 

It's just like everything else, you have someone against something, and people who want to believe one over the other choose to. 

It just shows how entrenched people will be in their beliefs. Understand the technology and you'll understand what can and can't be done. 

For example, NFTs of COURSE can be brought from one game to the next. It actually has nothing to do with what the NFT is to begin with, or its representation from one game to the next. 

Super funny that people think it's some sort of trick that this is possible, it just goes to show you how little they actually know. The image connected to the token doesn't have to be the representation of the item in game, it only needs to read the hash to translate to an in game asset. 

See thing is, I view your reply as being from someone who wants very badly to "believe" so whose opinion to choose?

Are any of the points raised by the streamer valid, you didn't seem to address any of them specifically.

You narrowly focused on probably the least useful purpose of NFTs, transferring them between games which I feel is mostly a non starter, for reasons outlined by Raph Koster and others in recent articles.

More research required I think.

ChampieTwistedSister77

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

See thing is, I view your reply as being from someone who wants very badly to "believe" so whose opinion to choose?

Are any of the points raised by the streamer valid, you didn't seem to address any of them specifically.

You narrowly focused on probably the least useful purpose of NFTs, transferring them between games which I feel is mostly a non starter, for reasons outlined by Raph Koster and others in recent articles.

More research required I think.

You don't have to believe what I say. All I'm saying is that there are games that are currently working on cross promoting NFTs into different games. NFT runs of a jpg that cross promotes to a game or metaverse. 

I've never been one to lie about what is possible, or push an agenda, especially when it comes to blockchain. 

NFTs with zero utility, which is most of them on the market, are completely worthless. Are they ponzi schemes? Some probably are. Perceptual value sinks with no real value. Some have added value attached, like providing access to certain communities, but even then the NFT itself is nothing more than a virtual hashed VIP pass. 

But gaming NFTs do have utility. Never believe anyone, even me, on face value. Do your research. 

Raph Koster is building a blockchain game right now. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with...

But what will people do when more blockchain games are doing collaborations? Right now people say you can't bring an NFT from one thing to the next, but collaborations are already in the works, even if they aren't mainstream. But what happens when they are? 

Maybe each NFT isn't going to be unique within a game. Then again, maybe it will. Maybe collaborations will be deemed "not worth it" by the majority of blockchain game companies. But it doesn't stop the technology from being able to actually DO it.  That's what people need to realize. Even Raph Koster understands that.
    [Deleted User]klash2def

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Simple layman terms.

NFT's are nothing more than a glorified stamp collection, except that when a switch, letters or numbers are pressed, your stamps can instantly and magically disappear.

You could always start your stamps on fire and make them disappear too I guess.

But there is a definite difference.

I don't know about NFT's but some stamps are worth a lot of money. Hope you don't have to wait like stamps for NFT's to be worth anything.

Unless you can find somebody to buy them for big bucks I guess.
    [Deleted User]Tuor7

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The way I look at it NFTs are nothing more than an attempt to import the same FOMO, designer name exclusivity into the digital world. "This is not just any old Pokemon, it is a rare #27 of 50 Eevee wearing a Seattle Kraken baseball cap. Get one now for only $500 before they're all gone!"
    [Deleted User]Tuor7laseritklash2defChampie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I want to believe, but I think they will prove UFO's exist before I believe in the value of NFT's to gaming. :)
    Tuor7klash2defChampie
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    I'm sure that *this* time I'll suddenly *really* understand all of this and jump aboard the NFT bandwagon. This time for sure!
    Champie
    edited January 2022
    Torval said:
    No Man's Sky and Mass Effect did a crossover where players could earn the Normandy as an S-Class frigate for their fleet. There are no NFTs and no need to own anything. It was unlocked for the account and I can claim that frigate on any save I start. That doesn't even touch on all the mods that offer skins and changes.

I'm not convinced there is any research for me to do. I already understand what  blockchain, immutability, and file hashes (and immutable links to them) are and ascribing arbitrary value to them so I can play "cross game" doesn't interest me.

Both BTC and ETH are tanking right now as the stock market contracts a little. Losing 30 - 45% value in a week because international markets are contracting reinforces the notion that these are not as independent as they're being billed and are purely speculative much like stocks and such.

If people are interested then they're free to engage in crypto speculation and gamify that. I'm not and that's okay too. Just stop trying to sell me on it with a bunch of empty rhetoric because I've yet to see compelling arguments and points.
    The market tanking *shouldn't* matter when it comes to gaming NFTs. That's the point of utility, there shouldn't BE speculation if there's an actual use for the items. 

You don't NEED blockchain to do anything. There is very rarely a singular case where only one thing will ever work in a situation. There are many different ways to do similar things, but when it comes to gaming blockchain is of particular interest because it (in the best possible sense) encompasses a lot of different aspects without having to build it from scratch. 

I mean blockchain isn't the first distributed database. It didn't reinvent the wheel. It just became a tool that a lot of developers see the value in. 

It's not all bad. I couldn't care less about the speculative investing. I think it's a big part of why the tech has taken such a turn. It never had the chance to develop organically. Once scammers found out they could exploit it, suddenly that's all people think it is.
    [Deleted User]

Torval said:
    No Man's Sky and Mass Effect did a crossover where players could earn the Normandy as an S-Class frigate for their fleet. There are no NFTs and no need to own anything. It was unlocked for the account and I can claim that frigate on any save I start. That doesn't even touch on all the mods that offer skins and changes.

I'm not convinced there is any research for me to do. I already understand what  blockchain, immutability, and file hashes (and immutable links to them) are and ascribing arbitrary value to them so I can play "cross game" doesn't interest me.

Both BTC and ETH are tanking right now as the stock market contracts a little. Losing 30 - 45% value in a week because international markets are contracting reinforces the notion that these are not as independent as they're being billed and are purely speculative much like stocks and such.

If people are interested then they're free to engage in crypto speculation and gamify that. I'm not and that's okay too. Just stop trying to sell me on it with a bunch of empty rhetoric because I've yet to see compelling arguments and points.
    The market tanking *shouldn't* matter when it comes to gaming NFTs. That's the point of utility, there shouldn't BE speculation if there's an actual use for the items. 

You don't NEED blockchain to do anything. There is very rarely a singular case where only one thing will ever work in a situation. There are many different ways to do similar things, but when it comes to gaming blockchain is of particular interest because it (in the best possible sense) encompasses a lot of different aspects without having to build it from scratch. 

I mean blockchain isn't the first distributed database. It didn't reinvent the wheel. It just became a tool that a lot of developers see the value in. 

It's not all bad. I couldn't care less about the speculative investing. I think it's a big part of why the tech has taken such a turn. It never had the chance to develop organically. Once scammers found out they could exploit it, suddenly that's all people think it is.
    A lot of the people pushing NFT's are saying:

"Look, you don't have to trust me, we use Blockchain"

We still shouldn't trust them.

NFT's are for their benefit, not ours.
    maskedweaselChampie

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Believe random guy or someone whos been here over 10 years detailing each and every experience real time with you.

While I've been here telling what, why, and what to look for this is what I've done. The thing is for the price of the top fractured presale pack anyone here could have begun to do the same.

Instead of just throwing money at these same games with the same pitch book getting the same on paper pre-sale pack you could have invested in a game, a community, property and yourself. 

I know some of you here claim to be rich and well off, not in need of anything. Good for you. To others on this very forum who are not was well-to-do, today, 350-400 invested in a good game can bring meaningful change. 

The same due diligence you do when looking for a new game on a limited budget, do it in the nft gaming space.

In this day and age there is no reason to be donating money to a game developer that may or may not deliver and getting 0 in return. 

[Deleted User]WalkinGlennklash2defChampie[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

A lot of the people pushing NFT's are saying:

"Look, you don't have to trust me, we use Blockchain"

We still shouldn't trust them.

NFT's are for their benefit, not ours.
    Eh, I think trust is a weird issue when it comes to NFTs. It never should have been that way. 

NFT's in games do benefit the developers. It doesn't necessarily not benefit gamers. In some ways it could benefit gamers who like play to earn games. 

In my opinion if NFTs were used right, most people wouldn't think twice about their use. The problem is it's being sold by a lot of people who you shouldn't trust. 

That's why I don't care about the crash. I feel like the faster we get speculative investors out of the way the better of it will be for the few cases where we could see some okay uses.
    laserit[Deleted User]lahnmirQuizzical

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2022
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:
    Believe random guy or someone whos been here over 10 years detailing each and every experience real time with you.

While I've been here telling what, why, and what to look for this is what I've done. The thing is for the price of the top fractured presale pack anyone here could have begun to do the same.

Instead of just throwing money at these same games with the same pitch book getting the same on paper pre-sale pack you could have invested in a game, a community, property and yourself. 

I know some of you here claim to be rich and well off, not in need of anything. Good for you. To others on this very forum who are not was well-to-do, today, 350-400 invested in a good game can bring meaningful change. 

The same due diligence you do when looking for a new game on a limited budget, do it in the nft gaming space.

In this day and age there is no reason to be donating money to a game developer that may or may not deliver and getting 0 in return. 

So the Red Village is playable right now?

I can go to the Red Village site and everything is 'Coming Soon'.
    So you're proposing investment in a game that isn't as far along as Fractured Online?

In Fractured people have already played and reviewed the alpha.

Doesn't mean either one will ever release but don't pretend this is more sure than any other early access title.   A freakin' avatar from Red Village isn't going to be worth jack poo if it doesn't release.

The Red village release is in 7  days.

While players waited they traded over 1.2k ETH in Champions alone, all the while talking to the devs every night.

A1 experience 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]WalkinGlennklash2defChampie
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Champie

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MelrocMelroc Member UncommonPosts: 22

He has actual points. You just went "Hes wrong!" even your example is not specific or with any evidence, you just say "it happens"
    maskedweaselChampie
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:

So the Red Village is playable right now?

I can go to the Red Village site and everything is 'Coming Soon'.
    So you're proposing investment in a game that isn't as far along as Fractured Online?

In Fractured people have already played and reviewed the alpha.

Doesn't mean either one will ever release but don't pretend this is more sure than any other early access title.   A freakin' avatar from Red Village isn't going to be worth jack poo if it doesn't release.

The Red village release is in 7  days.

While players waited they traded over 1.2k ETH in Champions alone, all the while talking to the devs every night.

A1 experience 
    I look forward to the game footage you'll post.
    From day one they've told us Diablo graphics and animation quality in an arena. They plan is to leave the village and build a full fledge mmo in the next 3-4 years.

Instead of like 98% of the projects out there going straight for the most technically complicated thing on earth plus blockchain, and asking gamers to hold the bag until then. They went with what can be made fun and done now, while organically growing the base and IP. 

Will the mmo ever come? Idk, I hope so these dudes aint not joke. While we wait we will be having a great time and earning ETH all the while. 
    klash2defChampie[Deleted User]
    Melroc said:

He has actual points. You just went "Hes wrong!" even your example is not specific or with any evidence, you just say "it happens"
    You can look through my post history if you're really interested. I'm not going to continuously regurgitate the same conversations over and over. Better yet, feel free to do your own research on the tech. 

look up collaborations with games like little rocks or just do research on metaverse collaborations, or read Raph Kosters blog, even he states that it's possible only as long as you have the rights to do so (which is why it's important that it's a collaboration, and not that you simply "own something" and decide to use the property). You think the various metaverses in development right now are any different than other games? 

If you can sell a jpg image of an nft and it shows up in the metaverse in the future, it's no different than creating a game asset tied to a token, and moving that token to a different game, that reads it as a different asset.  To simplify it, you could do this even without a token at all... 

The NFT itself doesn't make this possible... the NFT only prohibits the access of the asset on a platform that houses the collaboration. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    NFT's are just another in a long line of fake things we have seen the past decade.....For some reason, people like fake more than real now...Thats where the world is headed....
    maskedweaselTuor7ChampieMendel
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Yes and no.  If you have an NFT from one game, you can't take it to another game and force that other game to accept it.  However, that other game could point toward the database where the NFT lives, see that you own the NFT, and interpret that as granting you some particular thing in that other game.

The big question is whether games will do that.  Blockchain games where NFTs are the point of the game and gameplay really isn't probably will to some degree.  Apart from that, I expect that it will be limited to effectively cosmetic cross-promotional deals.
    laseritmaskedweasel[Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited January 2022
    bcbully said:

^^ #9. "NFT Bros"... pumping.  Thanks for the WTF, I'll wear it with pride. :D

Not sure if your referring to John Hayes or me... I've been here since 2008... 14 years this May.  Seniority check. ;)

NFT's are just another in a long line of fake things we have seen the past decade.....For some reason, people like fake more than real now...Thats where the world is headed....
    There isn’t enough real to go around.
    klash2defTheocritus

laserit said:
    There isn’t enough real to go around.
    Too many sheeple
    bcbully said:

^^ #9. "NFT Bros"... pumping.  Thanks for the WTF, I'll wear it with pride. :D

Not sure if your referring to John Hayes or me... I've been here since 2008... 14 years this May.  Seniority check. ;)

Didn't even notice you man. I was talking about the random youtuber.