Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 is a Couple of Years Off, as the Star Citizen Dev Grows into a Bigger Studio | MMORPG.co

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageSquadron 42 is a Couple of Years Off, as the Star Citizen Dev Grows into a Bigger Studio | MMORPG.com

A new feature puts CIG in a good place, expanding and growing the studio in Manchester, England, but still estimates Squadron 42 to be a couple of years off.

Read the full story here

WalkinGlenn

Comments

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    But I am not waiting on Squadron 42,,,,,,I guess at this point i am not really waiting for anything here lol
    MensurircaddictsChampieMendel
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I guess Roberts is putting more family members on the payroll.....
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    RIDICULOUS does not even begin to describe this.

~10 years and not 1 single second of SQ42 played.
    BabuinixIceAgeircaddictsgastovski1

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Instead of developing Squadron42 they should just deliver it as it is. Doesn't matter if it's not ready, at least we'll be able to play 1 single second of it and then life will be complete! :D

C'mon Roberts: Gimme! Gimme!

Kyleran[Deleted User]WalkinGlennSlapshot1188
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Like I said, Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors (for merit and acting chops)... I hope he is alive to not only finish SQ42... but the sequels.
    IceAgeKyleranfoppoteeScotgastovski1klash2def
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Unfortunately "a couple of years away" is more likely to be three to five, sounds almost like a plea deal or something.

Maybe SC will finally release.

TacticalZombehircaddictsChampieKnightFalzMcSleazgastovski1klash2defBrainy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OMG!!!!!...

...I forgot to bring popcorn.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]ircaddictsNildenKyleran

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Like I said, Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors (for merit and acting chops)... I hope he is alive to not only finish SQ42... but the sequels.

Yes please do deliver more unfinished game like Publishers are doing since more than a decade. We can't wait another couple of years as the world will collapse.
    Reality is that backers do have already hundreds hours of entertainment with SC alpha, all for less than a soulless AAA title.
    IselinircaddictsKyleranmmolouMcSleazgastovski1
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    It's pathetic but the sheep will keep giving him money. I'd be glad if this site banned any posts on SQ42 or SC until it actually launches.
    [Deleted User]BabuinixircaddictsPhoenix_HawkMendelMcSleazgastovski1klash2defBrainy
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You know? "Done when it's done" would have been a commendable and honest thing to say if they had said that all along in their original KS pitch and for the first few years after that.

Adopting that message years after delays and missed estimates that they themselves made (especially about SQ42) is just spin for the weak minded with no historical sense that the white knights happily parrot for them as some badge of honor.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]FrodoFraginsircaddictsKyleranNildenBig.Daddy.SamediChampierojoArcueidPhoenix_Hawkand 6 others.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Just wait until CIG announces they're going to start over using Unreal Engine 5. I can hear the propaganda now, "It will take another decade, but the end results will be amazing!"
    WalkinGlennircaddictsKyleranNildenChampiePhoenix_HawkMcSleazgastovski1

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    'In the year 2525, if man is still alive
    If woman can survive, they may find...'
    Champie
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Like that boy in the picture I once believed I could fly...but the way this is going I may be still making paper aeroplanes when I get my bus pass.
    [Deleted User]
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Well this is just getting better and better! I for one believe that this game will forever be in development hell.
    NildenMcSleazklash2defBrainy

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Where is the have fun guy.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    It's pathetic but the sheep will keep giving him money. I'd be glad if this site banned any posts on SQ42 or SC until it actually launches.
    Let's ban any posts and news about every game in development while we're at it.

Bet it will do wonders for mmorpg.com  :D
    ircaddicts
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2022
    Babuinix said:
    Let's ban any posts and news about every game in development while we're at it.

Bet it will do wonders for mmorpg.com  :D
    Surely you must understand how talk of more delays will go down? No one here wants them to do a rush job but most of us think they have had more than enough time. Without being factitious I await the announcement they need to convert the game to a new graphics engine, make a battle royal, a SC board game or whatever. All games with crowd funding particularly anything MMO-like now have a question mark over them, in development news item after news item does nothing to dispel that question mark in any of these games.
    ircaddictsPhoenix_Hawkklash2def
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Sequels? Dude will be 200 years old by the time they ready part 2.
    ScotTwistedSister77

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited January 2022
    You think this has been a long wait...

You think ennui is your ally. You've merely adapted the weltschmerz. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man and by then it was only a hackneyed, soul crushing pile of twisted self parody.

ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You think this has been a long wait...

You think ennui is your ally. You've merely adapted the weltschmerz. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man and by then it was only a hackneyed, soul crushing pile of twisted self parody.

Ah the anticipation. Remember Megadeth's song on that brilliant trailer? 
    OldKingLog
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    New Star Citizen Insider Video Showcases Ship Boarding - MMORPGcom   MMORPGcom Forums
    TheocritusMcSleazGentrifried_Chicken

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

JoeBlober said:

Yes please do deliver more unfinished game like Publishers are doing since more than a decade. We can't wait another couple of years as the world will collapse.
    Reality is that backers do have already hundreds hours of entertainment with SC alpha, all for less than a soulless AAA title.
    Reality is no one who wants to play SQ42 has even seen it, who cares about the pipe dream that SC is.

How about they go with option B, finish up the development of the game? It's not like they are short on either funding and staff.

Mars landings take less time E2E. Entire buildings and bridges can be be built over a weekend....

Software development...

Not even in gaming.....

Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Brainy

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Grym said:
    Just wait until CIG announces they're going to start over using Unreal Engine 5. I can hear the propaganda now, "It will take another decade, but the end results will be amazing!"
    You are probably correct, but they are more likely to refactor once they realize and accept their current engine will never support thousands or even hundreds of players in a single area.

Performance should always be built in from the beginning, almost impossible to shoehorn in after the fact, no matter what type of software is being developed.

Arglebargleklash2def

• killerkramkillerkram Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Star Citizen has gotten pretty good updates last year. There are some pretty weird issues still particularly around fps gun play but these things look like they can be solved. CIG is making good money so there's no worry of them shutting down. In the meantime we have other games to play while waiting. I do have to say though the latest jump town event was pretty awesome. I know squadron 42 is single player and star citizen is multi-player but if they can deliver experiences like that then squadron is going to be pretty awesome
    Babuinix