Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"You spend over 3,000 hours in a game, maybe $500 in upgrades, you get $0 value back."

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Iselin said:
    Keep telling yourself that while Ubisoft, EA and others talk about BC and NFTs being the future of gaming.

They aren't wrong but they are late to the game. They have the bags of money but lack the heart and soul.
    The popular crypto games right now are minimalist. It's not about fancy gfx or IP recognition it's about the passion, ideas + thought that was put into creating the game. Designed both to keep you constantly thinking but NOT constantly paying. I'd imagine a teenager that starts with crypto games can some day become a master economist or mathematician. A few months of crypto gaming can teach you more about finances and math than all the K-12 years in this current time... at least in my garbage public school district...

Once you see the difference between legacy Gaas games and crypto/nft/p2e games it's impossible to unsee. It is the difference between streaming NetFlix and making a puzzle.
    bcbully
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2022
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:
    Keep telling yourself that while Ubisoft, EA and others talk about BC and NFTs being the future of gaming.

Once you see the difference between legacy Gaas games and crypto/nft/p2e games it's impossible to unsee. It is the difference between streaming NetFlix and making a puzzle.
    There it is. Beautifully said. This is what first happened to me in 0xUniverse. Simple simple game on the surface. You launch spaceships find planets.

I never really made it past the surface, but I found atleast 30 planets for pennies in gas fees, 5 were epic. I sold 4 of those epics for 25-45 $MATIC each over the last 5 months.  $MATIC is $2.50c today. All I did was list them when I found them.

It had cool peacful music, cool art style and didn't need much of my attention. I played when I was yield farming and listening to videos. It was perfect.

My point is this cool little game, for reason unbeknownst to me (at that time) that did not cost me any money to play made me a couple hundred dollars.

When that first planet sold, my mind was blown. The difference could not be unseen. I told my girl, "I made 30 matic! I sold a planet!"

30 matic at the time was about 40 bucks. A far cry from getting rich, but it might as well been worth a million.
    BruceYee
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    tzervo said:
    Stizzled said:
    Can't happen in the magical world we're living in because of buzzwords like "decentralized". 

Just ignore the part where AWS going down takes half of the decentralized web with it.
    Half of decentralized anything is not enough to bring anything decentralized down. It's been that way since the ancient days of usenet and has nothing to do with nft's and blockchain. It's how that concept works.

Out of curiosity, I went on their website, and each link clicked answered with a 504 error.
    It seems they do not master the advantages of the tech yet ;)
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited January 2022
    tzervo said:
    Stizzled said:
    Can't happen in the magical world we're living in because of buzzwords like "decentralized". 

Just ignore the part where AWS going down takes half of the decentralized web with it.
    Half of decentralized anything is not enough to bring anything decentralized down. It's been that way since the ancient days of usenet and has nothing to do with nft's and blockchain. It's how that concept works.

Out of curiosity, I went on their website(decentraland), and each link clicked answered with a 504 error.
    It seems they do not master the advantages of the tech yet ;)
    edited January 2022
    Stizzled said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

They aren't wrong but they are late to the game. They have the bags of money but lack the heart and soul.
    The popular crypto games right now are minimalist. It's not about fancy gfx or IP recognition it's about the passion, ideas + thought that was put into creating the game. Designed both to keep you constantly thinking but NOT constantly paying. I'd imagine a teenager that starts with crypto games can some day become a master economist or mathematician. A few months of crypto gaming can teach you more about finances and math than all the K-12 years in this current time... at least in my garbage public school district...

Heart and soul is definitely what I see when I look at any NFT/Crypto game's website.

If it's in development it will often be hard to find any real info on the actual gameplay, but plenty on how you can give them money and maybe, possibly how you might earn some. But, definitely the give them money part.

If it's released (aka just dropped some NFTs and have, at best, an alpha client) they'll have colorful infographics showing how much money both them and their users are making, or at least passing around between themselves.

Just little indie darlings raking in millions pre-release.

Also, how are AAA companies too late? We have bc here telling us this is still super early days. Plenty of money left to be made.
    This is gonna break your heart. You know that indy game with "no information" that made devs a couple million in 10 mins? That game, pre launch 3 1/2 weeks out has made players around 2.5 million dollars, 725 ETH in volume. 

Crying Clown GIFs  Tenor
    edit - I forgot to add another 1.2 million for Blod Portals 
    https://opensea.io/collection/theredvillagechampions?search[sortAscending]=true&search[sortBy]=PRICE
    https://opensea.io/collection/theredvillagebloodportal
    [Deleted User]Ungood[Deleted User]
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    Stizzled said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

Heart and soul is definitely what I see when I look at any NFT/Crypto game's website.

If it's in development it will often be hard to find any real info on the actual gameplay, but plenty on how you can give them money and maybe, possibly how you might earn some. But, definitely the give them money part.

If it's released (aka just dropped some NFTs and have, at best, an alpha client) they'll have colorful infographics showing how much money both them and their users are making, or at least passing around between themselves.

Also, how are AAA companies too late? We have bc here telling us this is still super early days. Plenty of money left to be made.
    This is gonna break your heart. You know that indy game with "no information" that made devs a couple million in 10 mins? That game, pre launch 3 1/2 weeks out has made players around 2.5 million dollars, 725 ETH in volume. 

But, what about the actual game?
    3 1/2 week my friend I haven't forgot. I will be posting.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I hate to say it.. But I am one of those people that if I put 3K hours into a game/character the last thing I am going to do is sell it. That's MY character beyouche's! 

That is why I am really a fan of the idea NFT and Blockchain being the technology that would allow me to import my character across various game platforms.

The idea of selling them.. Eh.. that would be like selling my D&D character, and for me cheapens the joy of the game.

Selling the left testicle of the Lich Lord that I just slew.. that is something I would do.. but my character.. not so much.
    bcbullyRidelynn
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    I hate to say it.. But I am one of those people that if I put 3K hours into a game/character the last thing I am going to do is sell it. That's MY character beyouche's! 

That is why I am really a fan of the idea NFT and Blockchain being the technology that would allow me to import my character across various game platforms.

The idea of selling them.. Eh.. that would be like selling my D&D character, and for me cheapens the joy of the game.

Selling the left testicle of the Lich Lord that I just slew.. that is something I would do.. but my character.. not so much.
    As I was adding up the numbers I realized I ain't made a penny of that. Thought to myself "BC, ngmi"  :D 

I'm full on ready to play the game. I haven't sold one. All unrealized gains. That's where the p2e comes in for me. I plan on spilling blood and grinding ETH all year with them, hopefully for the next few years. That would be incredible.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have to declare some taxes ;)
    UngoodBruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Stizzled said:

Tricky guy. I didn't write "too late" I wrote "late to the game".

Indies have already established the foundation for the new genre not big corp gaming companies. It wasn't created by big corp AAA companies it was made by creative idea people on an indie level. Big corp AAA getting into it after the initial rules have already been set means they don't have the power/control they usually do and can't claim they did it first. They will be going into the new genre having to adapt(learn to give instead of always take) or be chased off with pitchforks. As we learned with the New World 500mil investment that money can't create a game that keeps people playing if it doesn't have that extra magic ingredient which is IMO fueled by creative inspiration.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    BruceYee said:
    Iselin said:

There it is. Beautifully said. This is what first happened to me in 0xUniverse. Simple simple game on the surface. You launch spaceships find planets.

I never really made it past the surface, but I found atleast 30 planets for pennies in gas fees, 5 were epic. I sold 4 of those epics for 25-45 $MATIC each over the last 5 months.  $MATIC is $2.50c today. All I did was list them when I found them.

It had cool peacful music, cool art style and didn't need much of my attention. I played when I was yield farming and listening to videos. It was perfect.

My point is this cool little game, for reason unbeknownst to me (at that time) that did not cost me any money to play made me a couple hundred dollars.

When that first planet sold, my mind was blown. The difference could not be unseen. I told my girl, "I made 30 matic! I sold a planet!"

30 matic at the time was about 40 bucks. A far cry from getting rich, but it might as well been worth a million.
    Instead of telling you to give your head a shake (in hopes that your own skull will knock some sense into you :) ) let me do a short summary using simple gaming terms for what you did.

You played a game and found something that is of value to someone else, who presumably wants to "win" enough to spend extra cash to get the things he hasn't gottem himself for whatever reason.

He was the wallet warrior buying some P2W item and you were the P2W item sales person,

You basically did what Chinese gold farmers have been doing for years and you're tickled pink about it. Grats?
    [Deleted User]RoinTalmienNildenVrikaThe_KorriganAsm0deus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Yeah, after the streamers and 'pro' gamers, let's create another generation of useless leeches getting money without creating anything. This is SO going to work on the long term.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2022
    bcbully said:
    finefluff said:
    Playing the game is the value… The statement presents a false equivalency between value and dollars.

The player would also have different motivations in those two scenarios. In the $0 back scenario, the player is paying only for his enjoyment of playing. In $1000s back scenario, the player is investing his time and money for future earnings. The possibility of earning changes a player’s motivations and manner of playing. That for me is why I will avoid NFT games. I don’t want to be influenced by the possibility of earning. But everyone has their preferences…
    I am doing both.
    No, you are having fun making money, aka work.

Most others are spending money to have fun, aka entertainment.

The focus is quite different.

Read the tweets that follow the OP, almost none of them speak towards gaming or having fun.

Most are just back patting each other for having the "foresight" for being early adopters and tout how much money their NFTs made them.

Of course, no one ever loses, nothing but winners here.

Right.  Brave New World Indeed.

ConstantineMerusThe_KorriganbcbullyAsm0deus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:
    finefluff said:
    Playing the game is the value… The statement presents a false equivalency between value and dollars.

The player would also have different motivations in those two scenarios. In the $0 back scenario, the player is paying only for his enjoyment of playing. In $1000s back scenario, the player is investing his time and money for future earnings. The possibility of earning changes a player’s motivations and manner of playing. That for me is why I will avoid NFT games. I don’t want to be influenced by the possibility of earning. But everyone has their preferences…
    I am doing both.

Read the tweets that follow the OP, almost none of them speak towards gaming or having fun.

Most are just back patting each other for having the "foresight" for being early adopters and tout how much money their NFTs made them.

I'm not sure you're qaulified to tell me what I'm having fun doing. You kinda gotta take my word for it you know? I'm doing both.

I have spent money to have fun and make money. Mind blowing isn't it? 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    It's going to be good, bad, honest and full of scammers. The little guy more often then not will be taken advantage of. Kinda sounds like the RNG, cash shops and in game trading groups that are already in our MMOs but now with RL money. The experiences we will hear, will be sadder to tell. It's a fact, there is people always looking for a way to exploit their fellow human. 
    The_Korrigan
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    bcbully said:
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:
    finefluff said:

I am doing both.

I'm not sure you're qaulified to tell me what I'm having fun doing. You kinda gotta take my word for it you know? I'm doing both.

I have spent money to have fun and make money. Mind blowing isn't it? 

Yeah I'm sure if they took the money out of these games everyone would still play them for fun. Not.
    The_Korrigan

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Nanfoodle said:
    It's going to be good, bad, honest and full of scammers. The little guy more often then not will be taken advantage of. Kinda sounds like the RNG, cash shops and in game trading groups that are already in our MMOs but now with RL money. The experiences we will hear, will be sadder to tell. It's a fact, there is people always looking for a way to exploit their fellow human. 

People are already cheating the hell out of games without that. Imagine what they would do for real money...

And there's the problem that those people don't create anything. It's money out of thin air. That can only end badly, too.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I have put 3,000 hours into a couple of games, and I got value back. Entertainment value.

Let's say that you are willing to pay $5 to see a 2 hour movie. You consider 2 hours of entertainment to have the same value as $5.

3,000 hours would be 1,500 x $5, or $7,500 in entertainment value. In LoTRO, I got that for $250.

It is a mistake to think that only money has value.
    The_Korrigan[Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

olepi said:
    I have put 3,000 hours into a couple of games, and I got value back. Entertainment value.

Let's say that you are willing to pay $5 to see a 2 hour movie. You consider 2 hours of entertainment to have the same value as $5.

3,000 hours would be 1,500 x $5, or $7,500 in entertainment value. In LoTRO, I got that for $250.

You can have both. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I dont need money and I dont care
    bcbullySlapshot1188
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    bcbully said:
    olepi said:

You can have both. 

If someone comes out with a game I would enjoy and play as much as LoTRO, and would also pay me money, then I'll do it. I would play that game even without getting paid.

What I am not going to do is play a game solely to get paid.
    bcbullyUngood[Deleted User]Big.Daddy.Samedi

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Iselin said:
    You played a game and found something that is of value to someone else, who presumably wants to "win" enough to spend extra cash to get the things he hasn't gottem himself for whatever reason.

He was the wallet warrior buying some P2W item and you were the P2W item sales person,

You basically did what Chinese gold farmers have been doing for years and you're tickled pink about it. Grats?
    Why are we even upset about this tho? 3rd party RMT trading of pixels has been going on since the 90's.

This is not some new thing.

The Battle cry "P2W" only started when the game company itself started to sell them items, thus making the money to support the game and cutting out the shady resellers, no doubt, the biggest, loudest, criers of P2W, were made by the gold farmers and the people that were RMT already anyway.

Hard reality check.. fuck them.

Fuck them.. and fuck the people that bought from them.

The RMT/gold farmers/assholes set this course decades ago, when they first opted to sell their game wares for money, and refused to back down from their right to do so.

So, as opposed to fight them, we have slowly changed the game to eliminate them. Perhaps not, I am sure with the new system, they will continue to do what they have always done, now just needing to play by the rules.

But that does not change that where we are now, is their fault, and their fault alone, not mine, not BC's, not even the game companies.

All of us are just adopting to the situation, that have been thrust upon on, for years on end, but they were the ones that started this, they were the ones that fought for years and decades to make their bits of money, just like hack program sellers, and the like, their greed led to this direction.

BC now being able to make an honest buck, by selling an honest, secure product, to fellow gamer, who is assured to get their product, all simply by playing the game as intended, in an honest manner, .. does not in any way, equate him in any way to some gold farmer that was fucking the system, selling their shit on same black market 3rd party site.
    bcbullyIselin[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    How selfish

I care about my Grandchildren and the world they live in.

Maybe if you lived in a place like I do, you might be able to understand.

Peace and a Happy New Year
    bcbullyThe_Korrigan

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2022
    bcbully said:
    olepi said:

You can have both. 
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

That said, I don't  really care if NFT games come about, or play-to-get-paid games come around. They remain optional for me: for those that enjoy them, or enjoy getting paid by them -- more power to you and I wish you the best!

I will keep my money and my time out of that though.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:

Why are we even upset about this tho? 3rd party RMT trading of pixels has been going on since the 90's.

This is not some new thing.

The Battle cry "P2W" only started when the game company itself started to sell them items, thus making the money to support the game and cutting out the shady resellers, no doubt, the biggest, loudest, criers of P2W, were made by the gold farmers and the people that were RMT already anyway.

Hard reality check.. fuck them.

Fuck them.. and fuck the people that bought from them.

The RMT/gold farmers/assholes set this course decades ago, when they first opted to sell their game wares for money, and refused to back down from their right to do so.

So, as opposed to fight them, we have slowly changed the game to eliminate them. Perhaps not, I am sure with the new system, they will continue to do what they have always done, now just needing to play by the rules.

But that does not change that where we are now, is their fault, and their fault alone, not mine, not BC's, not even the game companies.

All of us are just adopting to the situation, that have been thrust upon on, for years on end, but they were the ones that started this, they were the ones that fought for years and decades to make their bits of money, just like hack program sellers, and the like, their greed led to this direction.

BC now being able to make an honest buck, by selling an honest, secure product, to fellow gamer, who is assured to get their product, all simply by playing the game as intended, in an honest manner, .. does not in any way, equate him in any way to some gold farmer that was fucking the system, selling their shit on same black market 3rd party site.
    So to you the one and only problem with P2W in gaming is whether it's shady or sanitized and official? LMAO

There's not going deep into subjects and only looking at the surface but you're not even at the surface yet,

The Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House would like to have a word with you. What a lovely way to play an ARPG that was... not.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    How selfish

I care about my Grandchildren and the world they live in.

Maybe if you lived in a place like I do, you might be able to understand.

Peace and a Happy New Year
    How the fuck do you connect nft/blockchain and gaming , to how anyone cares about there grandchildren and the world .. lmfao seriously 

I donated 80k to children's cancer research at xmas , 50k to clean water act this year alone .  I purchased 100 xmas gifts this year that are gifted to children who's parents/parent are incarcerated .What have you done .. thsts how you protect your future and children , not by fucking support of blockchain gaming ..Get a grip on yourself 
    Iselinbcbully