Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Makes It Onto Steam's Best Of 2021 Lists Alongside Valheim, Naraka and More | MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2

Just more disingenuous Bullshit from the White Knight..

ESO is also available and has large Pop on Xbox One and PS4..  You conveinently forgot to include that ..

Also ESO is a sub based PVE game .. not B2P RvR ,so again comparing them is also foolish at best ..

The best comparison is of GW2 which is another B2P 3 faction RvR game ..

which for a 9year old game is beating NW daily ..

Have a nice Day Jean Luc Picard

ItsThatGuy
  • tzervotzervo Member EpicPosts: 2,644
    edited January 2
    tzervo said:
    Tldr: "Game is shit. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's why I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".
    I don't know if the poster is for real on the 800hrs ( which is very doable... for some people).

But I would remind the MMORPG community...

HOW MANY HOURS DID YOU DO SHIET GRIND FOR GAMES?  THIS WAS NOT QUALITY/ENTERTAINMENT TIME!
    In which case I would question their overall judgement in the first place, and I would ask: "then why did you spend 800 for shit grind in the first place" and would still not trust their opinion. :)

I personally never did long grinds without having fun doing it. My time is valuable. Maybe short ones for a couple of times with a specific goal in mind, and for a game that I already loved playing in the first place.

EDIT: you are right in one thing though: there are people willing to waste hundreds hours in an unfun grind, and that would be a red flag to someone like me that isn't. The problem then becomes a matter of trust and faith to those peoples' opinion and judgement though.
    Post edited by tzervo on
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 2,942
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.
    Some people don't need a video game, they need a therapist.
    YashaX

If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.
    You know streamers play 8-16 hours a day for a job.  

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  
    ItsThatGuy
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

or a better world. 
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Well its btp so if I get more then 4 hrs entertainment its a win. Mind you they sold quite enough copies to make a quick buck. I am more interested in where the game is a year from now though. Can they fix bugs\bots\dupes?

Have a friend that plays and enjoys himself so ill join in eventually¨
    But I am not in a hurry.
    tzervo
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  

I stand with my opinion. Playing the SAME video game, day after day, for 3+ months, for over 8 hours a day, is not sane. It's an obsession.

If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,909
    That game that has 3 people running it and a playerbase of 52 with no more than 19 concurrent players on at a time is more bug free than New World but unfortunately only earned $120 in donations over the year. So I guess New World is new and earnt more but it's still not the better game.
    YashaX

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    New World has hemorrhaged 91% of its initial players and has jaunted from disaster to disaster, its just bad, the worlds cant hold many players, its small which is why no mounts, its combat is trash, its main focus, that of PvP is something most players will never see as Wars are clique driven and randoms have no chance of taking place.

The only redeeming feature is that its pretty.
    ScorchienBrainyItsThatGuy
  • QbertqQbertq Member UncommonPosts: 118
    They had a criteria and New World met it.  I don't know why so many seem so appalled/flabergasted....  It's not like it's an opinion piece (Which I would put it in there because I like it, so I would vote for it...opinion).  This is metric driven.  How can you possibly argue the point.  get over it.  I think half the games on there are rubbish, but they're still there.  They didn't consult my opinion, or anyone elses.  DATA.

Have no fear though, I have sent in a note to steam to consult the forum in the future on what metrics they use and whether we agree with them or not.  Maybe they can weight the the metrics they use with the tears we seem to be weeping.

tzervoYashaX
    Torval said:
    Those numbers are based on sales. Yet there are still people saying stupid things.

Despite attrition, New World has a higher daily concurrency than most MMOs and many MMOs combined. Both CS:GO and Dota2 have around half of their original peak, and most games even those on the top 20 have lost 75% or more of their original peaks.

New World easily outpaces the concurrency of other popular progression based pvp games like EVE (which averages about 33K at its peak hours). It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results for Steam's Player Choice awards.

Steam Awards are out .. NW has rightfully been denied .. In all categories

Brainytzervo
    Qbertq said:
    They had a criteria and New World met it.  I don't know why so many seem so appalled/flabergasted....  It's not like it's an opinion piece (Which I would put it in there because I like it, so I would vote for it...opinion).  This is metric driven.  How can you possibly argue the point.  get over it.  I think half the games on there are rubbish, but they're still there.  They didn't consult my opinion, or anyone elses.  DATA.

Have no fear though, I have sent in a note to steam to consult the forum in the future on what metrics they use and whether we agree with them or not.  Maybe they can weight the the metrics they use with the tears we seem to be weeping.

You got a point, but those saying that it shed 90% of its playerbase are also talking data.

Qbertq
  • QbertqQbertq Member UncommonPosts: 118
    tzervo said:
    Qbertq said:

You got a point, but those saying that it shed 90% of its playerbase are also talking data.

I don't disagree.  Howevwr, it's not a data point for getting on the list.  Maybe a most shed player top 10 list.
    tzervo
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,134
    New World has hemorrhaged 91% of its initial players and has jaunted from disaster to disaster, its just bad, the worlds cant hold many players, its small which is why no mounts, its combat is trash, its main focus, that of PvP is something most players will never see as Wars are clique driven and randoms have no chance of taking place.

Not really because they got their money...Bad is when it flops and nobody buys it.....Thats the thing about buy to play....Once they get the money, who cares if they quit?
  • HengistHengist Member UncommonPosts: 1,189

Not really because they got their money...Bad is when it flops and nobody buys it.....Thats the thing about buy to play....Once they get the money, who cares if they quit?

The company that is relying on having a player base that will buy from the cash shop, so they continue to earn revenue?

Or was that meant to be a rhetorical question?
    tzervo
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 22,231
    New World was only up for vote in one category.

Resident Evil looks like a great game and they deserved to win GOTY. I almost voted for it because long time fans love it and I think that says something in such an established IP with so many titles. So congrats to them and the other winners. Here's hoping it comes to GamePass.

I voted for Nier Replicant for soundtrack because it is excellent and sounds so different from the rest of the entries. Guardians of the Galaxy has an excellent soundtrack, but it is heavily really carried by established hits from the 80s. I have the game and love the soundtrack. The first 15 minutes I spent just listening to the "CD" and reading the lyrics, liner notes, and Rolling Stone article. Good game.

No Man's Sky really deserved to win in their category in my opinion. Every entry has put a lot of effort into their respective titles, but No Man's Sky has gone above and beyond with several additional DLC style updates, 4 free battle passes, and they include the VR client in their game (again for free) unlike say Skyrim and most other AAA games that charge a box fee like it's a completely different and new game.
    TheDalaiBomba
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 22,231
    edited January 4
    tzervo said:
    Qbertq said:

New World after attrition has more players than games like UO ever had. It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 - 10. Right now it has 74K players in game. That's ~2.5 times as the peak EVE hits.

In all these years UO (one of their favorites) has never been on any awards list and never sat over 100K player concurrency. It was broadly panned as a steaming turd (and rightfully so) when it released because it was really that bad. It is unique, but also a horrible Ultima game. I'm sure the 30 people still playing it love it though.

The two buddies on a windmill tilting crusade here are the same two who die on a hill arguing that Destiny 2 (another they praise) is a full on MMO and simp for pay to win loot crate games like Neverwinter. Destiny has been castigated for removing ("vaulting") content players paid for. I mean really who cares what they think, maybe you do of course, but why? They're not exactly insightful. They're just salty because no one likes the games they think deserve attention. Their games get no positive attention because they don't do anything noteworthy so when some other games get attention they go on a nitpicking crusade to shitpost about them.
    YashaX
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited January 4
    Torval said:
    tzervo said:
    New World after attrition has more players than games like UO ever had. It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 - 10. Right now it has 74K players in game. That's ~2.5 times as the peak EVE hits.

In all these years UO (one of their favorites) has never been on any awards list and never sat over 100K player concurrency. It was broadly panned as a steaming turd (and rightfully so) when it released because it was really that bad. It is unique, but also a horrible Ultima game. I'm sure the 30 people still playing it love it though.
    When comparing absolute numbers between games you also need to take into account the size of those studios and their respective running costs (esp. for further development), and the age of the games (for your EVE comparison, unless by peak you mean all-time peak, in which case the all-time peak for EVE's two servers was around 60k CCU). New World was an undeniable box sales success, numbers and OP steam rank prove so, but time will show if the 100k CCU are something that AGS considers a success in the long term. 100k CCU could be a stellar number for CCP but not for AGS, even though it is a fine concurrency number by itself.
    Post edited by tzervo on
    edited January 4
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:
    tzervo said:

When comparing absolute numbers between games you also need to take into account the size of those studios and their respective running costs (esp. for further development), and the age of the games (for your EVE comparison, unless by peak you mean all-time peak, in which case the all-time peak for EVE's two servers was around 60k CCU). New World was an undeniable box sales success, numbers and OP steam rank prove so, but time will show if the 100k CCU are something that AGS considers a success in the long term. 100k CCU could be a stellar number for CCP but not for AGS, even though it is a fine concurrency number by itself.
    The stance these guys take is about as shallow , weak, and lacking substance as poorly as the game they defend in New World .  When you need to compare your game and flex against games like UO  and Eve that were released 25 years ago when the MMO market was 10x smaller and both UO and Eve are niche games , they have already lost any credibility and sane discussion ..

When there are posting disingenuous numbers about games like FF14 and ESO and claiming NW has better concurrency and only considering Steam when the other 2 are...

1. Available on multiple consoles..
    2.MANY  FF14 and ESO players also do not play thru Steam ..

They have already again lost credibility..

Comparing NW pop from a AAA dev with a huge budget to indie devs 25 years ago working with next to no budget in a market 10x smaller is quite evidently a very weak cry for help. 

GW2 for a 9 year old B2P RvR game is beating NW in concurrency daily,  that should be a concern .. 

Post edited by Scorchien on
    BrainyTwistedSister77
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

I stand with my opinion. Playing the SAME video game, day after day, for 3+ months, for over 8 hours a day, is not sane. It's an obsession.
    Actually, it is not. 

It is a home away from home. People like familiar places, familiar faces, routines, and such. It gives them joy, comfort, a sense of belonging, and so on. Now, playing 8 hours a day might be considered not productive, but we really don't know anything about people's lives to call them not sane. I mean, many people stick to indoor activities because of COVID. Or whatever, it is their choice. Doesn't make them insane or anything. 
    Torvaltzervo
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

Actually, it is not. 

It is a home away from home. People like familiar places, familiar faces, routines, and such. It gives them joy, comfort, a sense of belonging, and so on. Now, playing 8 hours a day might be considered not productive, but we really don't know anything about people's lives to call them not sane. I mean, many people stick to indoor activities because of COVID. Or whatever, it is their choice. Doesn't make them insane or anything. 

So most of those many people are unemployed, or living in their parent's basement, or retired ? That's your theory ?
    There's no other explanation for being able to spend 8+ hours per day, every day, for months, in a video game.

I happens that I'm playing 8+ hours sometimes on week-ends, specially when the weather sucks, but anyone pretending he can do that and also have a 8 hours daytime job every day of the week is... inventing a new life for himself on the Internet, because that's simply not possible.

Yeah, there are probably some rich/disabled/sick people among those. But I'd be willing to bet that most fit in the list above.
    YashaX

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

Actually, it is not. 

So most of those many people are unemployed, or living in their parent's basement, or retired ? That's your theory ?
    There's no other explanation for being able to spend 8+ hours per day, every day, for months, in a video game.

I happens that I'm playing 8+ hours sometimes on week-ends, specially when the weather sucks, but anyone pretending he can do that and also have a 8 hours daytime job every day of the week is... inventing a new life for himself on the Internet, because that's simply not possible.

Yeah, there are probably some rich/disabled/sick people among those. But I'd be willing to bet that most fit in the list above.
    It's not that hard to have 8 hours of free time if you got a 9 to 5 job and sleep like 6 hours a night. You don't have to be disabled or anything. 
    tzervo
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

Actually, it is not. 

It's not that hard to have 8 hours of free time if you got a 9 to 5 job and sleep like 6 hours a night. You don't have to be disabled or anything. 

Well, at least if they live like that, it means they won't live very long. 6 hours of sleep, and of course unhealthy food because they don't have the time to cook with that kind of schedule, and also bad hygiene... but yeah, this is going to end well, and those people are just "normal" ;)

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,840
    Lots of those being counted are bots......

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited January 4
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:

The stance these guys take is about as shallow , weak, and lacking substance as poorly as the game they defend in New World .  When you need to compare your game and flex against games like UO  and Eve that were released 25 years ago when the MMO market was 10x smaller and both UO and Eve are niche games , they have already lost any credibility and sane discussion ..

When there are posting disingenuous numbers about games like FF14 and ESO and claiming NW has better concurrency and only considering Steam when the other 2 are...

1. Available on multiple consoles..
    2.MANY  FF14 and ESO players also do not play thru Steam ..

They have already again lost credibility..

Comparing NW pop from a AAA dev with a huge budget to indie devs 25 years ago working with next to no budget in a market 10x smaller is quite evidently a very weak cry for help. 

GW2 for a 9 year old B2P RvR game is beating NW in concurrency daily,  that should be a concern .. 
    I am taking a modest approach in this case compared to both your and Torval's opinion, being the annoying prick saying to both "yes but..."  :p

1) I do agree that comparing NW to EVE/UO is unfair due to the difference in the games' studio size and age (and you raise a good point regarding the exposure of the genre at different times as well, something I did not think about).

2) I think all the doom and gloom is unfair too. It is a game with a decent CCU (100k is by no means shabby), it is just a matter of time to see whether that will be profitable enough for AGS to keep the game running, compared to its running and development costs.

3) Their box sales were awesome (thumbs up). The 90% drop in CCU is a flag (thumbs down). No question about those.

4) Finally I would urge caution w.r.t. how activeplayer.io calculates the GW2 population as well:

How We Collect Data - The Game Statistics Authority (activeplayer.io)

The same comment I made about mmo-population goes here too, only mmo-population are upfront with being inaccurate. Also, the GW2 RvR community is much smaller than the OW PVE community in that game.

Anyway, those are my 2cents.
    Torval