Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Korean government tells Apple and Google stores to take down P2E games

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited December 2021
    eoloe said:
    eoloe said:
    Torval said:
    The OP has an obvious motive, and a score to settle it seems, to normalize and sell their pyramid-like crypto schemes.

Quoted for greatness.
    But inaccurate. 
    Thanks for the provided and detailed explanations.
    You know how it feels when you drive through a small town 30 miles off the freeway? That's how I feel around here these days.
    BruceYee
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:

Comparing the two as if they're both apples betrays an ignorance of how each country's government truly works.  South Korea is ranked higher than the U.S. (S. Korea 23rd, U.S. 25th) in terms of strength of democracy by the 2020 Democracy Index.

Just dropping in for a second to say that Canada is #5... carry on.
    Rankings like that are always just someone's opinion about how much they like what this or that country does.  And without publicly posted methodology, they're less meaningful than a lot of other opinions, for that matter.  If there is a free link to the download that I have to pay money or give personal information to see, I'd like to see it.  Search engines didn't turn up such a link.
    https://www.eiu.com/n/campaigns/democracy-index-2020/

That's not what I asked for.  That's just a link to the site of the group that made the rankings.  If you can find a more direct link to the methodology or full rankings, I'd appreciate it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:

Comparing the two as if they're both apples betrays an ignorance of how each country's government truly works.  South Korea is ranked higher than the U.S. (S. Korea 23rd, U.S. 25th) in terms of strength of democracy by the 2020 Democracy Index.

Rankings like that are always just someone's opinion about how much they like what this or that country does.  And without publicly posted methodology, they're less meaningful than a lot of other opinions, for that matter.  If there is a free link to the download that I have to pay money or give personal information to see, I'd like to see it.  Search engines didn't turn up such a link.

That's not what I asked for.  That's just a link to the site of the group that made the rankings.  If you can find a more direct link to the methodology or full rankings, I'd appreciate it.
    The PDF has the methodology but id you want something simpler with no need to DL anything and methodology try this one, https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores?sort=desc&order=Total Score and Status and click on the name of any country for a detailed breakdown of their score.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    eoloe said:
    Torval said:
    The OP has an obvious motive, and a score to settle it seems, to normalize and sell their pyramid-like crypto schemes.

Quoted for greatness.
    But inaccurate. 
    Really? How so because I pretty clearly highlighted how disingenuous the Korean Chinese comparison is and how self-promoting and agenda laden the OP presents their case. And all you have is a hand-waving dismissal? Sorry if I don't buy your dismissal as genuine either.

The OP has shown in many threads they are promoting the wild west speculation that is NFT and gaming related crypto. They have presented a twisted heated political comparison with a country westerners have an unhealthy speculative fear of. I'm not seeing how my assessment is anything but spot on.
    You highlighted nothing and said even less. 

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    bcbully said:
    You know how it feels when you drive through a small town 30 miles off the freeway? That's how I feel around here these days.

There is nothing wrong about giving an opinion or being a bit silly or a bit provocative on a public internet forum.

However, you should not be surprised that people here think you might have an agenda, even if you don't have one.

You are indeed hammering basically the same message in a never-ending loop!

But that could be almost acceptable. It becomes really weird though when you are making use of syllogisms or rhetorical questions to support your message.

And it is too bad, because I agree with you on one point (two?):

Discussions about crypto-based games are interesting. This one about governmental restrictions regarding crypto-based games is highly interesting too. And I thank you for bringing it up.

However, it deserves better than comparing a SK decision to a China one.
    I would be from SK, I would feel your amalgam highly offending.

Mendel
    edited December 2021
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:

The PDF has the methodology but id you want something simpler with no need to DL anything and methodology try this one, https://freedomhouse.org/countries/freedom-world/scores?sort=desc&order=Total Score and Status and click on the name of any country for a detailed breakdown of their score.
    If you look through their explanation on the United States, it's a bunch of subsections that rate various things on an integer scale of 0-4.  The explanation is commonly some mix of objective facts and Democratic propaganda, and then the score comes out of nowhere with no justification for why something is a 3 as opposed to a 2 or a 4.  (Technically, the score is at the top of the section, but there's zero justification for it in the text.)

Which is to say, it's someone's opinion.  Or perhaps rather, the average opinion of some group of people that, at least by American standards, are well to the left on the political spectrum.

That's not to say that opinions are bad.  It's probably not possible to make a list that isn't pretty heavily influenced by the personal opinions of the people who make the list.  But let's not pretend that assigning arbitrary numbers makes it anything other than someone's opinion.

For comparison, if you make a list of the highest rated games as rated by this site, that's just sorting by the opinion's of various people.

That's why, when I compared China to South Korea, I'd didn't say that South Korea scores higher in some arbitrary metric of someone's opinion.  I said that China is committing genocide (against the Uighurs) and South Korea isn't.  That's an objective difference--and an important one.
    bcbullyIselin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:
    bcbully said:
    The article says:
    "To combat the proliferation of what it sees as speculative money-making schemes,"

It also says: 
    "P2E gaming has become popular in the cryptocurrency industry. Gamers typically must first purchase game pieces as nonfungible tokens (NFT) in order to play the game and receive in-game rewards."

I think their vision is clear, and I'm glad they are taking action. 

As many posters here have pointed out, most people end up losing money on this stuff. Only the few actually do that. The rest just get suckered in. 
    So you think they are doing it to protect their citizens like china.
    Korea is absolutely nothing like China.  However, far east ideas are not necessarily like ours.  Doesn't make it bad.
    They eat seaweed and raw fish, both terrible ideas IMO.

:s 
    Lutefisk, haggis, tripe, fruitcake,  and slimy okra have entered the chat. :lol:
    Nothing I would consider eating either, more terrible ideas along with rat, cat, bugs or a Peruvian favorite...

Just no.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:
    bcbully said:
    The article says:
    "To combat the proliferation of what it sees as speculative money-making schemes,"

It also says: 
    "P2E gaming has become popular in the cryptocurrency industry. Gamers typically must first purchase game pieces as nonfungible tokens (NFT) in order to play the game and receive in-game rewards."

As many posters here have pointed out, most people end up losing money on this stuff. Only the few actually do that. The rest just get suckered in. 
    Korea is absolutely nothing like China.  However, far east ideas are not necessarily like ours.  Doesn't make it bad.

Lutefisk, haggis, tripe, fruitcake,  and slimy okra have entered the chat. :lol:
    Nothing I would consider eating either, more terrible ideas along with rat, cat, bugs or a Peruvian favorite...

Just no.

wait .. whats wrong with Tripe , i loved that Pepper Pot soup , was bummed when they took it off , my grandmother used to make a a similar Tripe soup also with Buffalo meat and Tripe ..

We are Native American ..
    edited December 2021
    eoloe said:
    bcbully said:

There is nothing wrong about giving an opinion or being a bit silly or a bit provocative on a public internet forum.

However, you should not be surprised that people here think you might have an agenda, even if you don't have one.

But that could be almost acceptable. It becomes really weird though when you are making use of syllogisms or rhetorical questions to support your message.

Discussions about crypto-based games are interesting. This one about governmental restrictions regarding crypto-based games is highly interesting too. And I thank you for bringing it up.

They made the same decision, stating the same things, about the same types of games. 

It was @quizzical that spazzed out and went all Ronald Reagan 2 post in lmao. -

"
    On the big things that matter, South Korean policy isn't at all similar to China's.  South Korea is not perpetrating an ongoing genocide.  South Korea didn't violate a major treaty to forcibly end democracy in a major city.  South Korea doesn't have AI bots patrolling the Internet looking for anything that looks like criticism of the government so that they can make dissenters disappear.  South Korea doesn't aggressively censor what their own citizens can see of the Internet to the extent of blocking most foreign sites entirely.  South Korea doesn't rely heavily on massive theft of foreign IP as the way to develop their economy.  South Korea isn't constantly threatening to invade, conquer, and annex an neighbor.
    People are typing their way into really strage positions trying to rationalize their thought on crypto and NFTs."

Like wtf? Keep things in perspective Ronnie.

I think it was kinda shocking for them seeing their arguments against being the same talking points as korea -> as china. So strange seeing gamers so anti gamer empowerment. 

Watch they are gonna keep doing it. 
    klash2def
    bcbully said:
    eoloe said:
    bcbully said:

They made the same decision, stating the same things, about the same types of games. 

"
    On the big things that matter, South Korean policy isn't at all similar to China's.  South Korea is not perpetrating an ongoing genocide.  South Korea didn't violate a major treaty to forcibly end democracy in a major city.  South Korea doesn't have AI bots patrolling the Internet looking for anything that looks like criticism of the government so that they can make dissenters disappear.  South Korea doesn't aggressively censor what their own citizens can see of the Internet to the extent of blocking most foreign sites entirely.  South Korea doesn't rely heavily on massive theft of foreign IP as the way to develop their economy.  South Korea isn't constantly threatening to invade, conquer, and annex an neighbor.
    People are typing their way into really strage positions trying to rationalize their thought on crypto and NFTs."

I think it was kinda shocking for them seeing their arguments against being the same talking points as korea -> as china. So strange seeing gamers so anti gamer empowerment. 

The United States bans murder.  So does China.  Does that mean that the two countries tend to have very similar policies?  Are there any countries where murder is legal?  The worst that I'm aware of on that grounds is places where murder is illegal the government is too weak to effectively maintain order and places where the government murders some of its own citizens while still prohibiting random citizens from committing murder on their own.
    edited December 2021
    Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    eoloe said:
    bcbully said:

"

The United States bans murder.  So does China.  Does that mean that the two countries tend to have very similar policies?  Are there any countries where murder is legal?  The worst that I'm aware of on that grounds is places where murder is illegal the government is too weak to effectively maintain order and places where the government murders some of its own citizens while still prohibiting random citizens from committing murder on their own.
    Yes that means they have similar policies on Murder.

Just like you have similar opinions on Crypto and P2E games as China and Korea. You parrot their talking points ffs. 

Your opinions certainly aren't American. Stand your ground man.
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    eoloe said:
    bcbully said:

"

Just like you have similar opinions on Crypto and P2E games as China and Korea. You parrot their talking points ffs. 

What is with your weird obsession with trying to discredit some policy approach by comparing it to what China does?

And what exactly makes an opinion "American"?
    bcbully
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    bcbully said:

Don't get baited and don't stop. Keep droppin' the info cause some of us here enjoy reading it.

Block people if you have to but keep the information coming.

bcbullyklash2def
    Quizzical said:
    ...  by American standards, are well to the left on the political spectrum.

Never miss an opportunity to red bait lol.

I'm sure you can selectively do your own googling and find some US site that ranks murica 1st.

Not that it matters, America is always #1 on everything, amiright? :)
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    eoloe said:
    bcbully said:

"

What is with your weird obsession with trying to discredit some policy approach by comparing it to what China does?

And what exactly makes an opinion "American"?
    You need to understand what you're saying, and what you're promoting by saying it. 

Your views on crypto, nfts, and p2e games are more aligned with china than they are with the rest of the world.

Ask yourself why. 
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:

I'm sure you can selectively do your own googling and find some US site that ranks murica 1st.

I think you've completely missed my point.  Sure, a different group with different political leanings would produce different rankings that reflected their different opinions.  But that would still just be the opinions of some person or group of people.

If you want to make an argument that this or that country's government is bad, "because the opinions of some group that rates them said so" is intrinsically a very weak argument.  It doesn't matter what group or what they call their ratings.  Citing someone else's opinion is a very weak argument, unless you're merely arguing about what some particular person's opinion is.
    IselinSlapshot1188
    bcbully said:
    You need to understand what you're saying, and what you're promoting by saying it. 

Your views on crypto, nfts, and p2e games are more aligned with china than they are with the rest of the world.

Ask yourself why. 
    That has got to be the weirdest argument that I've seen in a long time.

I'm ambivalent as to whether big money "play to earn" ought to be legal or not.  My stated opinion on this matter (from the third post on this thread) is that it should be treated about the same as sports gambling.  And incidentally, I'm also ambivalent about sports gambling.

I'm skeptical that any significant government has come out and said that their formal policy on "play to earn" is that they're not sure if it should be legal, but it's definitely similar to sports gambling.  And yet you want to tie me to China for some inexplicable reason.  I think that's a statement about you, not a statement about me, China, or NFTs.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    eoloe said:
    eoloe said:
    Torval said:

Quoted for greatness.
    But inaccurate. 
    Thanks for the provided and detailed explanations.
    You could read through any of my many posts on the topic. A lot of people just parrot opinions that they've heard somewhere, usually by people who have the right amount of knowledge about the tech to be ill-informed enough to come ro the wrong conclusions. If you have a question, ask it. 

Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:

I think you've completely missed my point.  Sure, a different group with different political leanings would produce different rankings that reflected their different opinions.  But that would still just be the opinions of some person or group of people.

If you want to make an argument that this or that country's government is bad, "because the opinions of some group that rates them said so" is intrinsically a very weak argument.  It doesn't matter what group or what they call their ratings.  Citing someone else's opinion is a very weak argument, unless you're merely arguing about what some particular person's opinion is.
    Speaking of missing points...

My post about Canada being #5 was merely reacting half jokingly. when someone else brought up the Democracy index. The fact that I quoted them should have been a clue that I didn't introduce the subject nor was I promoting as some ultimate sceintific measurement.

You're the one who went all Capatain Obvious with a dash of The Dude pointing out that "it's just like an opinion, man." Yeah, no shit.

The fact that you take things like that so seriously that you want to examine data and methodology and bring left v right politics into it is frankly, concerning.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Just gonna jump in and say that SK if they wanted could sustain their entire population with entertainment from the games just the SK game industry makes and it would benefit their country greatly. They've(govt) probably considered banning games made elsewhere before but that comes off as totalitarian/anti-capitalism and wouldn't be well received by the world.

If it ever came around to it where governments as a form of keeping funds in the country blocked games not made in their country SK would probably be one of the best places on earth to be as a gamer.

IMHO I think they did it for the same reason people end up kicking out people staying at their house for too long.. SK already tolerates the west intruding on one of their only industries so adding another level of money going out of their country is where they drew the line. I don't think they 'care' about their citizens I think they 'care' about whether their limited population's money stays in SK.
    bcbully
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Torval said:
    eoloe said:
    Torval said:

Quoted for greatness.
    But inaccurate. 
    Really? How so because I pretty clearly highlighted how disingenuous the Korean Chinese comparison is and how self-promoting and agenda laden the OP presents their case. And all you have is a hand-waving dismissal? Sorry if I don't buy your dismissal as genuine either.

The OP has shown in many threads they are promoting the wild west speculation that is NFT and gaming related crypto. They have presented a twisted heated political comparison with a country westerners have an unhealthy speculative fear of. I'm not seeing how my assessment is anything but spot on.
    What one person shows isn't indicative of the entirety of the technology as a whole. Your vision on this topic is extremely short sighted, and should be taken on a game by game basis.

NFT's in gaming are not "pyramid schemes" for quite a few reasons which I've outlined many times in many threads. The earning potential on them are moot points that are overblown by proof of concept renditions of an emerging technology. There are valid use cases of both blockchain and NFTs in gaming. 

Whether or not you like the way it's headed is a separate topic, and even in the cases of where there is misuse in blockchain or NFT gaming, it's still misleading to frame it as the only model that has fallen victim to misuse. 

As much as BC promotes games that are more along the lines of gambling, that doesn't mean that every NFT game does that. While I won't argue that the games that are brought to us via 3rd party forum posters are sometimes more suspect than others, my main issue is using blanket statements to describe anything brought here related to crypto as nothing more than a "pyramid-like crypto scheme". 

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Torval said:
    eoloe said:
    Torval said:

Quoted for greatness.
    But inaccurate. 

What one person shows isn't indicative of the entirety of the technology as a whole. Your vision on this topic is extremely short sighted, and should be taken on a game by game basis.

NFT's in gaming are not "pyramid schemes" for quite a few reasons which I've outlined many times in many threads. The earning potential on them are moot points that are overblown by proof of concept renditions of an emerging technology. There are valid use cases of both blockchain and NFTs in gaming. 

Whether or not you like the way it's headed is a separate topic, and even in the cases of where there is misuse in blockchain or NFT gaming, it's still misleading to frame it as the only model that has fallen victim to misuse. 

As much as BC promotes games that are more along the lines of gambling, that doesn't mean that every NFT game does that. While I won't argue that the games that are brought to us via 3rd party forum posters are sometimes more suspect than others, my main issue is using blanket statements to describe anything brought here related to crypto as nothing more than a "pyramid-like crypto scheme". 
    Fair enough.

And yes in another thread there is a description of gods unchained which sounds like a decent model.

However the criticism was more about the how than the what.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:
    bcbully said:
    The article says:

It also says: 

AsianSupermarket365com Assam Curry Fish Head with Okra Lady39s Fingers

My favourite in Malaysia. Don't knock the mighty okra.
    laseritkitarad[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wargfoot said:
    I like this move on the part of South Korea; however, they also gave us K-pop so on the whole South Korea's contribution to the world is a wash.
    Why do you like South Korea asking for p2e games to be removed, while other games that have loot boxes and cash shops are not?