Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most satisfying single player games of all times

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Monkey Island 3
    Myst 1 and 3
    Dragon Quest 11
    Danganrompa 1

laserit
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Mendel said:
    How could a thread about "Favorite games of all time" get to page 2 without mentioning X-Com?  We did it.

Never played the original xcom though I did  watch a friend play it "back in the day." Was always a hoot.
    Mendel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Chris Crawford's Eastern Front
    All the Ultimas
    Bard's Tale
    All TES games (except for Battlespire and Redguard)
    Dungeon Master
    System Shock
    Master of Orion
    Dune II - my first RTS game
    Xcom
    All Witcher games
    All Dragon Age games
    All Mass Effect games (yes, even Andromeda)
    Civilization (over 6K hours on V)
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Elex

And many more
    SovrathlaseritPhaserlight
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOgamerdad666MMOgamerdad666 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    My faves in Order

1. The Bards Tale 1/2/3 C64
    2. Knights of Legend C64
    3. Pool of Radiance C64
    4. Command and Conquer Playstation
    5. Final Fantasy Tactics Playstation
    6. Panzer General Playstation
    7. Allied General Playstation
    8. X-Com Ufo Defense PC
    9. Dark Colony PC
    10. Rainbow Six PC
    11. Hidden and Dangerous PC
    12. Baldurs Gate PC
    13. Jagged Alliance 2 PC
    14. Diablo 2 PC
    15. Warcraft 3 PC
    16. Pretty Much MMOs mostly WoW since 2004
    laserit
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Shadowrun (Both the NES & Genesis ones)
    Roadwar 2000
    OOTP 99

I'll count those as the ones that I would absolutely put on the list.

Getting a ton of consideration and could make the list, but just not on the list today...

Knights of the Old Republic
    Morrowwind
    Zork
    Daggerfall
    Fable
    Neverwinter Nights
    Mount & Blade Warband
    Baldur's Gate
    Freelancer
    Total War: Medieval II
    Command & Conquer Red Alert

laserit
  • BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited January 2022
    Crusader kings 2
    Hearth of Iron 4
    Star wars Knight of the old republic 1 and 2
    Prisoneer of Ice
    COS
    Neverwinter Night 1 and 2
    Baldurs Gate 1 and 2
    Gangster Organised Crime
    laserit
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited January 2022
    Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2
    All the older Tomb Raider games
    Syphon Filter
    Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain
    RDR 1&2
    DEHR
    All of the Max Paynes
    to name a few
    laserit
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited January 2022
    OK, tough decisions (just single player).

FPS - Original Halo on Xbox.

Introduced ally AI squads (maybe some other game did it, but made it mainstream), great guns, cool vehicles, great story, horror moments (queue Flood music), tight gameplay, and AI that was fun and would try to flank you.

Runner up, the original Call of Duty (although I like campaigns in a bunch of the sequels... but the first one was groundbreaking). 

Games I have not played yet(but will)... that could be better:  Mass Effect SeriesFallout 4. Bioshock

RTS - Starcraft.  Full stop.

RPG - Really hard.  I love dungeons and dragons, and the Forgotten Realms books... that gave the edge to:

Baldar's Gate 2.  Amazing story, turn based "dice"  combat, beautiful game for the specs of it's day... guest appearance by Drizzt!? ( the dark elf that has a ton of Forgotten Realms books about him).  And yes, on one play through I killed him and took his stuff.  o:)

Runner ups:  Fallout (original turn base one), JRPG - Lunar on Sega Genesis CD, Diablo 2

Sports - Original John Madden Football at the Christmas launch of Sega Genesis.  Full Stop. (Well for Americans).

Movie Based - Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King

2003's hack N slash action combat hit.. gameplay is awesome, graphics great... everything great.

Runner Ups:  Battle for Middle Earth I and II (awesome RTS games, you have main characters playable as heros on the battlefield...with special abilities available... like Gandalf, Nazgul).

Puzzles:  Tetris (the go to game for original Gameboy).  

I need to stop writing now...
    laserit
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I guess the most satisfying single player game, and the game I have the most time in, is the Civ series.
    MendelScotlaseritBrainy

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Angband -- beating Morgoth.
    laserit
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    For weeks now, I cant find anything I want from the Steam winter sale. I think I'm just burntout on game overall. So I'm downloading the "Turtle Vanilla Wow" client and I'll play that if it's heavy populated.....Just hope it doesn't screw up my beloved Vanilla WoW I have installed, it shouldn't, its a different version.    
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Leisure Suit Larry hands down...or...hands somewhere I guess...While I kid about it, those old Sierra games; Space Quest, Police Quest, etc...were fun for their time.

Otherwise, Final Fantasy 1 as that was an early RPG for me that helped get me hooked on the genre. Not a slight to the others, but this could end up just being a list of FF games so I'll leave it at 1. Zelda, and its shiny gold cartridge, would be another one that helped rope me in early on.

More recently. the ones that spring to mind first are:
    Mass Effect 1-3 (haven't played Andromeda)
    Dragon Age Origins/2 (haven't played Inquisition)
    Oblivion
    Skyrim
    Fallout 3/4
    Witcher 1-3

and. while it can be played as multiplayer, I've got to give honorable mention to No Man's Sky with multiplayer turned off.

Aside from NMS, this really shaped up as an RPG list for me. I'd also add the Borderland and more current Doom series though, like NMS, those have multiplayer components to them.

Great thread though. I see a lot of games listed that I had forgotten about. Gothic 2/3, Might and Magic series, and Baulder's Gate/Icewind Dale would be some examples.
    ScotlaseritPhaserlight

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    So, I find that a different games for different moods approach works best for games, but I do want to share one obscure little JRPG I absolutely and unexpectedly fell in love with last year.

YS 8: Lacrimosa of Dana

Great combat and mechanics designed to keep the gameplay flowing nonstop. A compelling 70 hour time travel story involving dinosaurs and a Mass-Effectian civilization ending cycle of creation, prosperity, and destruction. A small, lovable cast. And a bangin soundtrack designed to make you want adventure from the word go.
    Tuor7laserit
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Qbertq said:
    I'm going to seriously date myself, but

7 Cities of Gold
    M.U.L.E
    Sim City
    Ultima III
    Wizadry
    Bardstale

and, all in one line
    Qbert, Joust, Missile Command, Asteroids, and...DigDug

What? Pong didnt make the list?
    The best one I have ever played is 7 Days to Die...The reason why? It fits exactly what I am looking for in a game....Tons to explore.....Crafting that has a purpose.....Can build your own house/base......Horde night is a blast....Several different builds for replay value......Day/night cycles....weather....etc etc etc....Over 500 hours and counting.
    Tokken[Deleted User][Deleted User]laserit
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Divinity Original Sin 2
    Skyrim
    The Witcher 2 and 3
    Grim Dawn
    laserit

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Ultima VII !
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    I'm currently hooked on Breath of the Wild, it's fricken brilliant! And I'm not even trying to "win", just living in the world.

Let's see....
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Disgaea
    Front Mission 3
    <<trend detected>>
    X-com
    Borderlands 2

It's early, I might think of more as I wake up 
    laserit

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited January 2022
    Torval said:
    The best one I have ever played is 7 Days to Die...The reason why? It fits exactly what I am looking for in a game....Tons to explore.....Crafting that has a purpose.....Can build your own house/base......Horde night is a blast....Several different builds for replay value......Day/night cycles....weather....etc etc etc....Over 500 hours and counting.

What do you think of the new A20 release?

Some parts of it I really love and other parts not so much......It felt like the game was easier until I got to T5...lol....then I got swarmed by about 20 zombies in the main stash of a PoI.....THe game doesnt feel as stable to me but my PC and WiFi are mediocre so I dont know if its the game or just my set up.....

I'm still not sure how I feel about the neighborhood setting.....I liked it at first but as  Iam playing more it feels like every neighborhood is close to the same...i've even found my house and base several times in other cities....There is still alot of the game I havent seen...Thats what makes it so much fun.
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

What do you think of the new A20 release?

Some parts of it I really love and other parts not so much......It felt like the game was easier until I got to T5...lol....then I got swarmed by about 20 zombies in the main stash of a PoI.....THe game doesnt feel as stable to me but my PC and WiFi are mediocre so I dont know if its the game or just my set up.....

I'm still not sure how I feel about the neighborhood setting.....I liked it at first but as  Iam playing more it feels like every neighborhood is close to the same...i've even found my house and base several times in other cities....There is still alot of the game I havent seen...Thats what makes it so much fun.

Thanks for the feedback. That is about my feeling as well. Our last play through was on a 6K world with a custom generated map using Nitrogen map builder. This time we're on an 8K world using the vanilla map builder and it feels smaller. There is too much space between cities although it didn't look like it from the map preview.

Some of the changes are nice, although it feels much the same as before, but there are more stability bugs and crafting requirements got a lot more grindy. There are some stability bugs with base block calculations too that cause them to crumble.

For this world we wanted to see the vanilla changes without mods. Normally we usually at least use BDubs vehicle mods. Our last world was using a full conversion mod called "Undead Legacy" which I love.

Overall a good update with some issues that need ironing out. I'll be glad when they hit final release supposedly sometime next year.

I didn't start in 7DtD until Sept/Oct of 2021.....I didnt know some of the things that you mention here....I learned most of the game watching Glock9 and some of the other Youtubers play......My highest character in A20 is approaching Game Score 100 and i have noticed the game has become more difficult....Im struggling to keep up with ammo and working on getting my base to steel.....This is the first character that I havent had major food and drink issues but I started out with him hunting for food so that helped alot.
    [Deleted User]
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    List of the best singleplayer games?  Hmn...

While I've played all the Civs extensively, Alpha Centauri is hands down the best version of them.

Alpha Centauri
    Stalker.
    Xcom
    Planescape Torment
    Crusader Kings 2 (though it suffers from the usual Paradox excessive additions)
    Morrowind (though the first ES game you play tends to be your favorite.  Morrowind is just too tough to get working nowadays, so dumbed down Skyrim has to suffice.  Fortunately, the mod scene uplifts most of the ES series games.)

laseritPhaserlight

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Does Console version of 7 Days To Die count?

Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Drakenguard

laserit

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I dont know if its "satisfying", but I recently acquired "No Man's Sky".

They released it in 2016 and keep improving it ever since.

Its not a flawless game by a long shot, but its certainly full of things to do and kept me entertained for half a year or so.
    laseritTheocritus
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Valheim is one of my recent favorites.

honorable mentions: grim dawn and  hades

skyrim, oblivion daoc, eso

old school:

the shining force and phantasy star series.

faxanadu

Legend of Zelda 

final fantasy 1 ( only one I liked, lol)
    laserit
    .05 of a second to midnight