Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, seriously, what's the deal.

ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Everything I hear about DAoC I like. Everything sounds like what I've always wanted in an MMO. However, I've tried the free trial countless times, all to the same end; I get bored before I even get out of the first town. I just can't get into the combat or the environments or something.

Has this happened to anyone else? Everything about it sounds like it should be awesome, but I can never play it for more than a day. Can anybody think of something that could help me get into this game? Maybe something I should try?

-Machiavelli

Comments

• BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by ViolentY

Everything I hear about DAoC I like. Everything sounds like what I've always wanted in an MMO. However, I've tried the free trial countless times, all to the same end; I get bored before I even get out of the first town. I just can't get into the combat or the environments or something.
    Has this happened to anyone else? Everything about it sounds like it should be awesome, but I can never play it for more than a day. Can anybody think of something that could help me get into this game? Maybe something I should try?

DAoC low end is EXTREMELY boring, but endgame is EXTREMELY fun.

This is what i like to call the reverse WoW effect.

WoW was fun low end, sucked high end. 

Just stick with your toon for a bit and it will pick up fast.   Cheers!image

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
    -- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
    -- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 60%
    Killer 53%
    Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

K... I'm trying it again.

I'm Albion on Lamorka, if anybody wants to help me out or play with me.

-Machiavelli

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I can tell you this.  Albion has the worst low level content of any of the realms as far as I am concerned.  I would say Hibernia has the easiest and best low end content.  Catacombs quests/zones are a lot more fun than what you have access to in the trial. 

Combat is some of the more interactive I have found in an mmorpg.  It can be just press one button and watch, but if you want to do well you will need to use combat styles and be involved in the combat.  This develops over the levels. 

If you are a quest driven person - by that I mean you like doing quests and find the interesting/challenging DAOC does not have the best quests.  Catacombs has some nice quests but what is best about them are that the quests are simple, easy, quick, and give great XP. 

Once you get to 20, maybe 15 on the classic servers, go out to the BG and see how you like it.  That is when the real fun starts. 

I'm not a really big quest guy. I'd much rather prefer finding a great place to grind that has a really cool environment and fun combat. So far I've actually been liking DAoC this time around, except for one thing; the towns... Camelot is horrible to navigate for a new player.

If anybody wants to help me or just level with me, send me a PM or reply here. My name in-game is Mustavus, I'm a level 5 infiltrator.

-Machiavelli

Wow... I must've just gotten really unlucky with the people I meet. But after a 5 minute conversation in guild chat with two different people, I was desperately craving WoW's community. And that's really saying something...

-Machiavelli

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Same thing happened to me, then one day some guy who was a vet decided to take me another city, it was a fort actually. Near it there was a shore with skeletons and what not, all the usual stuff. After I leveled a bit, I found a neat little dungeon where I killed a ton of Garden Gnomes. From there I moved on faster and faster, the game got real fun real fast. Then at lvl 14 I got my first taste of what RvR would be like via battlegrounds.

It was fort Atla or something along those lines. I recommend using one of the various sites available on the net to pull up low level dungeons and spawns. Find a great map and using the games new in game map (which didnt exist back then dang nabbit) youll find fun easily.

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

At Low level Alb the best place might be the Pryden keep if you can run there. If you have catacombs do the quest 1st. Else you can go up to anyone of the guards either a pryden keep or the bridge going over the river and click on them and type "/s task." They'll go tell you to kill something and the general direction where it can be found. Need to find a named gurard. Not every guard will give a task so you have to ask severeal guard until you find one.

Also Mythra is a good dungeon for level 5. Go to camelotherald and check out mapalot and the you can find the dungeons and building to check out.

• OrcNutzOrcNutz Member Posts: 29
    Ok, you're playing one of the worst first time player classes. An Infiltrator is something that I would make after I have a level 50 so I could /level it. An Infil is hard to level form 1-20, but once your into Thidranki Battleground, it gets really fun as a stealther. For a starting class in alb on a server that you cannot access ToA, I would recommend a Necromancer or a Caster (Wizard, Sorc, or Thuerg). I started with a thuerg on the PvP server, but I only PvP'ed in Hib, so I didn't know any other realms. So I switched to Hib/Lancelot where I now have a 50 Ranger. But since you started in alb, I recommend you stay there where you know best. And yes, all classes are very boring until you get to about level 20, cause Thidranki is a busy BG that can be very fun. I hope this helps.imageimageimageimage

Been Playing 3 Years On/Off
    Epicarrow-50 Ranger-Hib/Lancelot
    Like 20 Level 40's and Below
    True Hibernian

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

Oh yeah I didn't notice before but Orcnutz is right infiltrators are not a starter class. They are loads of fun but they are usually only fun after you know whats going on. They are nutshard to spec just right. You also need to have your gear maxed for peak stats and realm ranks as soon as you can earn them. Usually to do this you need to have spell crafter, tailor and weapon crafter alts.

Also they are not all that group freindly. They don't work well as a tank and they can't heal. They can do oodles of damage if they can hit the right style but then they will get the aggro and since they are wearing leather they will be impossible for a healer to keep alaive for long. Its best to let them debuff but it seems like in a PvE group they are pretty much leeching of the other toons who are more apt for the group dynamics of PvE.

If you have plenty of patience and want to stick with it they are one of the funest classes in the long run to play. But in the short run they are a bunch of work,

• VeeZarDVeeZarD Member CommonPosts: 93

I know what your talkin about... i tried to hit a higher lv... But it was just TO BORING... and the interface was so crappy i couldnt get pass it... Seriously there are so many ppl saying THE GAME ROX PVP IS THE BEST AND WOW SUX... i thought it is worth a try... it wasnt.... Sure, "hit lv 20 and you will see how great the game is!!" yeah well... since i play a game, than i do it to have fun, and not to torture myself: "c`mon man, hit the next level, i know you can do it... no no no dont turn it of, just one more lv...." Bah its not for me... maby one day i will give it a try once again, but untill than, i`d rather play a game that is fun right from the beginning (and yes, i mean WoW, and no, im not a newb)

Even Ragnarok online was more fun at the beginning... if i had to rate this game, i would give it 4-5/10... But since the highest lv i had was 5... well... i just dont have the right to do i? :)

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I think it is odd that people call WoW fun.  Yes there are some things they do differently, but just like so many other games it all has the same basic style.  You make a character.  You go kill things to level, or you do quests to level.  The only thing that WoW has on DAOC are better quests.

So Is it fun waiting hours to get into the BG on WoW?  Is it fun being ganked on the PvP server?  How is killing over and over any more fun on WoW than DAOC outside it is being more simpllistic? 

WoW is a mediocre game, and just like everything else that is mediocre is sells very well with people. EQ, AQ, WoW, DAOC, etc have essentially the same type of leveling system - kill/quests so I do not see why when people play one of these games and then another one is boring and one isn't.   

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

You really need to try all three realms. Each has a very different "feel," and to me it makes a big difference. For example, I personally find Hibernia entrancing, while Albion bores me to tears.

Also keep in mind that you can advance from level one on by:

1. XP grouping

2. Kill tasks (if you head to the SI and do kill tasks you will hit twenty extremely fast, WoW fast)

3. Questing

4. Instance dungeons (group or solo)

5. Player versus player. If you head to the battle grounds you can level from 1 to 50 doing nothing but PvP…of course if you don't come out for air once in a while your gear will bite ;-)

If you don't find at least one of these activities fun, then by all means play something different. The only games I can think of that offer differnet options than these are, EQ II (you can adavnce soley as a crafter), SWG (crafter, dancer, pilot? the choice is yours), A Tale in the Desert, and Puzzle Pirates. Good luck.

I would also highly recommend the classic servers to a beginning player. Idgits do show up in the beginner guild chat, but only once in a blue moon.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• RXCsLilGirlRXCsLilGirl Member Posts: 5

Hmm you should come on over to Hibernia, on the Galahad server!! image Seriously, Hibernia is SOOO much fun. Tir Na Nog is much easier to navigate than Camelot in Albion or Jordheim in Midgard. Also, there should be a guy you talk to that will give you a bunch of starter easy quests to get you to lvl 5 quick.

Well, if you decide to come to Galahad, Hibernia look me up!

Here's my camelotmonkey stats: http://camelotmonkey.com/s.php?u=histechnoangel

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Wow... I must've just gotten really unlucky with the people I meet. But after a 5 minute conversation in guild chat with two different people, I was desperately craving WoW's community. And that's really saying something...

DAOC is mostly a P vs P game now.  Early, it was pretty cool P vs E with lots of folks in the lower level range.  Now, it's grind to the top to be able to run around in P vs P zergs to take castles.  Very repetitive.

P vs P'rs are "competitive" gamers, in general.  P vs E'rs are more "community" gamers.  Just guessing, but I think maybe it's the "community" feel you might have seen missing in DAOC.  Wrong game for that.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

K... I'm trying it again.
    I'm Albion on Lamorka, if anybody wants to help me out or play with me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you are just using the free trial you aren't able to access ANY of the instance zones. Depending on the class you can hit lvl 50 in a couple weeks if you play hardcore. Normal peeps might take a month or 2, but that's the absolute max.

Joined - July 2004

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Step 1: Log into the game

Step 2: type /gc quit and get the hell out of that craptastic noob guild.

Step 3: Enjoy the silence into you find a real guild.

Joined - July 2004