Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Devs: 'We Were Wrong' Concerning Controversial Endgame Gear Changes | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Devs: 'We Were Wrong' Concerning Controversial Endgame Gear Changes | MMORPG.com

New World's had a rough go of it the last few months since launch, and while the game isn't dying like many would have you believe, it is going through some major growing pains. One major source of contention has been the endgame gear changes that Amaozn has implemented. Responding to feedback, the development team has detailed what they are doing to address the concerns, admitting that it's "clear" the team was wrong in how they approached them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Already lost me... AGS just does not have the ability to read the room. They like to release patches with undocumented changes (See Ice Gauntlet, healing AOE and other nerfs), I would not be surprised if they did some insidious change that was yet another HWM system on top of this one that reduces player power...

Save your money, go back to WoW, SWTOR, GW2, ESO, FFXIV... who knows, just stay away from New World if you know what is good for you.

(I have 320+ hours into the game, I have done all possible endgame stuff so I promise I am not just talking out of my butt)
    SetzerJeroKaneGobstopper3DUngoodHJ-NavarreGolelornaivariohaSabbyth

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited December 2021
    already did the EU server merge? I thought that was happening on Wednesday.....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    edited December 2021
    Theres a pretty easy way to right this ship, just take their plan and do the complete opposite...

This is as hilarious as it is sad now, they need to completely clear house of anyone who has an emotional investment in this dross and hire someone to turn it into an appealing game because as it stands it is -

- Pretty, as Anthem was.
    - Garbage combat system, looks clearly designed for a console port.
    - Inaccessible PvP as cliques control the wars and dont want randoms in it.
    - Trash PvE.
    - Awful, completely uninteresting and forgettable lore.
    - A initially interesting crafting system which turns into just a grind to hide the rest of the game.

Also of note as of posting this New World is 94% down on its peak players and is sporting only half the players it had at this time last week.
    Gobstopper3DUngood[Deleted User]doomex
  • DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161

toljar said:

Already lost me... AGS just does not have the ability to read the room. They like to release patches with undocumented changes (See Ice Gauntlet, healing AOE and other nerfs), I would not be surprised if they did some insidious change that was yet another HWM system on top of this one that reduces player power...

Save your money, go back to WoW, SWTOR, GW2, ESO, FFXIV... who knows, just stay away from New World if you know what is good for you.

(I have 320+ hours into the game, I have done all possible endgame stuff so I promise I am not just talking out of my butt)

Got your moneys worth then with that many hours and only paying 39.99 or 29.99 (was on sale)
    it was probably worth it. I am about 233 hours in and i still have not got to max lvl yet. Im still having fun.

lets just hope that there is future content for the game.

with no monthly fee .... its a easy game to always come back to.
    AlomarGruug[Deleted User]The_KorrigansschruppUngoodMcSleaz[Deleted User]shellbelle2RemyVorenderand 2 others.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The game's got issues that I hope are slowly worked out, but since I didn't have the time to no life the first few months of launch I'm still enjoying it daily. The group I play with has gotten more active not less so, mmo launches are a storm to weather here's hoping there's an uptick because I do believe this game has the best mmo foundation seen in over a decade.
    IselinMcSleaz
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2021
    Tokken said:
    already did the EU server merge? I thought that was happening on Wednesday.....
    Yeah that hasn't happened yet and they said today that it might be delayed due to the AWS issues they're having today.

They also said recently that they plan to do a trial server cluster merge, merging several into one, sometime next week.

Edit: the two server merge in the EU region will now happen on Thursday and they are doing two server cluster merges now on Friday, one in EU and the other in SA. If those go well I expect we'll see the merges happening everywhere in a week or 2.
    Post edited by Iselin on
    Tokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I don't believe it's too late. This wasn't supposed to be a marriage and we are certainly not divorced now. If they address their problems, why wouldn't I go back? It's not like bugs have caused me PTSD, you know they aren't real bugs, right? 
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]The_KorriganMcSleaz[Deleted User]GolelornWaanTacticalZombeh
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I get the sense that Amazon just hired wiz-kid coder's and not necessarily folks with solid gaming development track records. They have been winging it all along.
    Golelorn
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    i really hope these guys dont ruin lost ark too......
    [Deleted User]Golelorn
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Kratier said:

They are just the publisher of Lost Ark not the devs, they need to ask the rwal devs to make any changes as far as I am aware. Also Lost Ark is out already elsewhere and already has ton of content....just need localization.
    velimirius[Deleted User]sschrupp[Deleted User]Golelorn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    ive played a lot of localized mmos in the past, things like allods online or newer korean mmos were completely different in different regions , so amazon can really screw with it if they want to
    [Deleted User]Golelorn
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    garbage game top to bottom.
    [Deleted User]Golelorn
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Dhampir said:

lets just hope that there is future content for the game.

In the immediate future, you'll have the Winter Event which is quite amazing.

This said, I've 450 hours in the game and still not done. I don't have all crafting to 200, I don't even have all weapons to 20, which will unlock more weapon quests that i will of course complete.

When they announced the first version of expertise, I was about to quit after playing the Winter Event, but they listened to feedback and the new version is totally acceptable, and even good for the future of the game when level/tier increases are implemented.

My biggest grief with the game is the inventory management between the cities. They should just unify the bank like they did for the auction houses and be done with it. I organized my stuff now, but still, it's a lot of micromanagement that can become annoying.

Otherwise, I love the wars, invasions (and we win some!), dungeons, and open world content.
    [Deleted User]TokkenGolelorn
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ten weeks. That is how long New World has been out, ten weeks. Post after post of 'too late,' 'already lost me,' 'doom and gloom.' Ten weeks. I wonder how any of these people lived through the old days of MMORPGs, they probably didn't.

Vanguard took 2 years before it ran even remotely decent on any rig. ultima Online and Anarchy Online had disastrous launches that took more then 6 months to fix even slightly. Even the infamous lootbug in WoW took well over a year to fix. I am trying really hard to come up with launches of MMORPGs that did better but I keep failing, well except Rift which came out of the gates swinging and look how that was a good indication of its succes.....

Ten weeks. Its always easier to see the warts on somebody elses' face I guess.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotThe_Korrigan[Deleted User]sschruppUngoodMendelMcSleazkjempff[Deleted User]Tokkenand 2 others.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2021
    "I want to be clear that we are dedicated to not reducing the power of players in the world"

While the changes they have made to the tweaking may have been better this sort of wording troubles me. Now it may well be just PR speak and I should read no more into it than that, but you should not commit yourself to any developmental path of this nature. They do mention that they will reduce player power if they see imbalance but then did they not make these changes because they saw imbalance?

It is very hard at a distance to judge this, but it seems to me that gaming media and player demands are the priority, they need to be more sure of their vision. It is a tricky balance but so far I see it going one way, bowing to media and player demands. Hopefully this is wrong and they stay on track.
    jondifool
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Scot said:
    "I want to be clear that we are dedicated to not reducing the power of players in the world"

While the changes they have made to the tweaking may have been better this sort of wording troubles me. Now it may well be just PR speak and I should read no more into it than that, but you should not commit yourself to any developmental path of this nature. They do mention that they will reduce player power if they see imbalance but then did they not make these changes because they saw imbalance?

It is very hard at a distance to judge this, but it seems to me that gaming media and player demands are the priority, they need to be more sure of their vision. It is a tricky balance but so far I see it going one way, bowing to media and player demands. Hopefully this is wrong and they stay on track.

I suggest you read (or reread) what they initially intended and what they will do now.
    What made players rise in anger is that they suddenly punished LEGIT ways of playing the game, like crafting. Not the new system.

As I said, the new system will be just fine for future content additions, but you don't nerf player gear into oblivion in the middle of one content phase.

Imagine Blizzard suddenly nerfing tier 3 raid gear to the level of max level normal quest/dungeon blues. Just like that. You can bet there would be an uprising too.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2021
    Scot said:

I suggest you read (or reread) what they initially intended and what they will do now.
    What made players rise in anger is that they suddenly punished LEGIT ways of playing the game, like crafting. Not the new system.

As I said, the new system will be just fine for future content additions, but you don't nerf player gear into oblivion in the middle of one content phase.

Imagine Blizzard suddenly nerfing tier 3 raid gear to the level of max level normal quest/dungeon blues. Just like that. You can bet there would be an uprising too.
    I did not realise that was part of it, this was crafted and bought gear? I see the consternation, it is a move they should not have made. But what I am talking about goes beyond this issue. When we see AGS saying "no we are right" against what players want then I will be sure I am wrong. They have boxed themselves into a corner, generally I see MMOs catering too much to player demands, here because of the launch they feel that need to cater even more. This means they have an even more problematic road to travel in this regard than most MMOs do.
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

lahnmir said:

Ten weeks. That is how long New World has been out, ten weeks. Post after post of 'too late,' 'already lost me,' 'doom and gloom.' Ten weeks. I wonder how any of these people lived through the old days of MMORPGs, they probably didn't.

Vanguard took 2 years before it ran even remotely decent on any rig. ultima Online and Anarchy Online had disastrous launches that took more then 6 months to fix even slightly. Even the infamous lootbug in WoW took well over a year to fix. I am trying really hard to come up with launches of MMORPGs that did better but I keep failing, well except Rift which came out of the gates swinging and look how that was a good indication of its succes.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

can I add to this?

When DAoC lauched there where dungeons that didnt even have mobs in them, then later only one of the realms(midgard) highest dungeon recieved loot drops, that was a game that relied on PvP for its endgame.

The highly touted SWG had nothing to do other then kill mobs or craft, a little PvP, thats it, no quests no anything, it was ghost town 6 months in, so many ppl claim on these boards it was the greatest MMo ever made yet you could run the entire world and not see another toon anywhere, thats why they made the changes that everyone said ruined the game, but if all these ppl who claimed they where playing actually where playing then there would have been no need for the change.
    Iselin[Deleted User]The_KorriganScot[Deleted User]Golelorn

Godz of War I call Thee

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    The sheer incompetency at this company is mind blowing!
    Golelorn

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    The economy of new world is dead.. there are reports that ∞ amounts of gold have been duped(pvp method) and filtered into the game.

Kratier said:

I honestly don't understand why people hype lost ark so much... play the russian version it's easy to get into, there is nothing special about that game.
    SensaiMcSleaz[Deleted User]Golelorn
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited December 2021
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yes the old MMOs in the pioneer days were often a shambles. Mainly because every company was building their game from scratch without much previous data or experience to build upon.

Twenty-some odd years later, people expect better from a AAA MMORPG from one of the richest corporations in the world. We didn't get that. Not only did AGS not seem to learn anything from mistakes of the past, they don't even seem to have a clear vision or framework of what they are doing in the present. So no I don't care if the game has only been live for ten weeks, the glaring issues that have poisoned this game on the vine, combined with AGS's knee jerk reactions to said problems actually making things worse, points to a company riddled with incompetence, from game inception to present. A company without a clear roadmap of what they want their game to be. And in the instance of this little about-face, even a clue of what their customers want from their game. So no I'm not cutting these guys any slack, at least not until they start to prove they have some idea of what the hell they're doing.
    sschruppScorchienBrainyJaguaratron1Golelorn
  • skurk81skurk81 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Client side authoritive. As long as it is that the exploits will keep on coming.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    edited December 2021

The economy of new world is dead.. there are reports that ∞ amounts of gold have been duped(pvp method) and filtered into the game.

Kratier said:

I honestly don't understand why people hype lost ark so much... play the russian version it's easy to get into, there is nothing special about that game.

I guess you did not really play Lost Ark that much if you say it has nothing special. In fact, I believe it has one of the best combat ever made in mmorpgs. Very interesting, unique and fun classes. One of the best endgame PvE and very fun equalized PvP.

But if you dont enjoy it, no one is forcing you to, there are plenty of games.
    IselinGolelorn
  • faci20faci20 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Have around 600 hours into NW now. I log in daily and play several hours a day and have a great time. Very excited for the upcoming winter event, it sounds really fun. Playing on a high population server definitely helps. They really need to get the merges done ASAP, but they also need to make sure they can do those smoothly without issues, which is a big if based on their short history. Alot of servers have peak populations of 100 players or less.

On another note, I don't know that I've ever seen another MMO where people actively want it to fail, and go out of there way to discredit anyone who actually voices something positive about the game or says they enjoy it. It's almost comical at this point. I'll just keep on enjoying the game though.
    [Deleted User]The_KorriganIselingelraenDhampirTokkenGolelornScotAsm0deus