Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unreal Engine V and the coming Gaming Revival

12346»

Comments

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Lets approach this from a different direction. 

Are there any games that are currently in the middle of development that would see any benefit from converting to UE5 from an older version but continue using the older graphics.  Would they do this strictly from the productivity tools that UE5 engine offers to improve the speed of development.

I suspect there would be no point unless you were going to upgrade the graphics.

But if someone knowledgeable on UE5 wants to weigh in and let us know which games they think will do this for solely the productivity increase and not the graphics I would be interested to hear that and why.

Babuinix
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited January 2022
    Torval said:

We've had game developers, like Blueturtle, explain how they increase productivity. The promotional videos themselves explain how they improve productivity. I've explained before how the engines I use increase productivity.

Do you think people like that watch those videos ? Either they don't understand them, or they think they already know better anyway.

You can throw facts at the face of some people, they will still wipe them off as dirt and stay with their own beliefs and ignorance.

But let me try again... key sentences in that video: "you just now have a faster way to get from the idea to the implementation" and "it is a game changer".

Enjoy !

Post edited by The_Korrigan on
    Babuinix[Deleted User]Brainy[Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited January 2022
    Brainy said:
    I have yet to hear a single person that knows what they are talking dispute my main point that overall upgrading the engine and increasing the graphics will result in a massive time delay not a productivity increase.
    Decisions related with game engines are usually made after a lot of consideration from professional engeniers.

Some thoughts on the Unreal Engine 5 reveal by a GameDev:
    The Unreal Engine 5 demo was very impressive from a technical perspective. 

Quick Summary:

Two systems - Nanite and Lumen - aren’t going to make games look better than before, but they are going to (theoretically) save a significant amount of development time.

Instead of artists needing to build [LODs] and [normal maps] and such, they can build one high-detail asset and the Nanite system should dynamically adjust the asset such that it remains performant in game. Similarly, the Lumen lighting system should, in theory, allow artists to create a bunch of dynamic lights instead of having to generate light maps. It’s important to note that these systems are not intended to make things better looking in game, at least not directly. They exist to save developers time - time we spend building LODs and normal maps and light maps and such could be used to create more models, lighting more environments, and so on. If these systems do what they claim, we could create or polish more content within the same amount of development time thanks to the time savings. 

source: https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/618202591837454336/some-thoughts-on-the-unreal-engine-5-reveal
    [Deleted User]The_KorriganRungarBrainy[Deleted User]laserit
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

Do you think people like that watch those videos ? Either they don't understand them, or they think they already know better anyway.

You can throw facts at the face of some people, they will still wipe them off as dirt and stay with their own beliefs and ignorance.

But let me try again... key sentences in that video: "you just now have a faster way to get from the idea to the implementation" and "it is a game changer".

Enjoy !

Ok I agree this video actually makes a pretty good counter point.  I will concede, and suspend disbelief until we actually see if reality matches rhetoric.

Nice work pulling this information out.

[Deleted User]Babuinix
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• faithvoidfaithvoid Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited January 2022
    Not needing LoDs is huge if you're making your own graphics or use asset packs without them included.  Not having to bake lighting every time you edit a scene is my favorite feature of UE5.  

That said, nothing in UE5 is as game changing for hobbyists and indie devs, in my opinion, as the implementation of Blueprint was.
    The_Korrigan[Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Babuinix said:
    Brainy said:
    I have yet to hear a single person that knows what they are talking dispute my main point that overall upgrading the engine and increasing the graphics will result in a massive time delay not a productivity increase.
    Decisions related with game engines are usually made after a lot of consideration from professional engeniers.

Some thoughts on the Unreal Engine 5 reveal by a GameDev:
    The Unreal Engine 5 demo was very impressive from a technical perspective. 

Quick Summary:

Two systems - Nanite and Lumen - aren’t going to make games look better than before, but they are going to (theoretically) save a significant amount of development time.

Instead of artists needing to build [LODs] and [normal maps] and such, they can build one high-detail asset and the Nanite system should dynamically adjust the asset such that it remains performant in game. Similarly, the Lumen lighting system should, in theory, allow artists to create a bunch of dynamic lights instead of having to generate light maps. It’s important to note that these systems are not intended to make things better looking in game, at least not directly. They exist to save developers time - time we spend building LODs and normal maps and light maps and such could be used to create more models, lighting more environments, and so on. If these systems do what they claim, we could create or polish more content within the same amount of development time thanks to the time savings. 

source: https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/618202591837454336/some-thoughts-on-the-unreal-engine-5-reveal
    In this sense, I also see the engine as a tool akin to Solid Works.

A tool combined with an empty stage to produce your content on.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Brainy said:
    Here we go again: "I know better than those who know!"... sigh...

Yeah around and around you go spinning as usual.  Instead of being able to make a logical counterpoint, try to attack the person making it instead.  Nice tactic but its old and stale.

We experience this effect all the time when upgrading design tools for chip design. I call it the "high water" effect.

The designers have been using the existing tools for years, and they have become expert at it. Now we go out and buy millions of dollars of new tools, with better productivity, and the net effect is that design *slows down*. For a while.

Even though the new tool has better productivity and new capabilities, it takes a while for the designers to learn how to get good at it. They were faster when they used the old tools. That's when management questions us: why did we spend so much money just to have productivity go *down*??

Eventually, however, the designers learn the new tools, and now they establish a new "high water mark" that is finally above the old one.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Brainy

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.