Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark team being lead by Smed?

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    I don't think he is a conman, I just go on his success/failure ratio, which gets worse as we move from old to new school MMOS. My gut feeling is that he must have a project, I just can't see him starting up a regional studio and being a consultant on say monetarization. So fingers crossed he is bringing his magic to a new game I have no intention of playing. :)
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    kitarad said:
    They never revealed to Sony that they were making Everquest. Kelly Flock the guy Smed worked for was saying it was for the console because that was what Sony wanted. All those lies that Smed told others in the office was to keep the project quiet and they were just the Ghouls and Goblin guys and the game got the money.

Everquest would never be a game if not for them hiding it until it was a success. The reason it succeeded was the monthly subs that really opened Sony's eyes.

Everyone was convinced that high fantasy RPG was a recipe for failure.

https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the-internet-the-story-of-everquest-the-mmo-that-changed-everything/

When you succeed it is all good otherwise you're that lying cheating guy.
    I haven't read the article, but didn't UO show that people were willing to pay a monthly sub for a fantasy RPG?  EQ just took it to the next level.
    Yes. 
    In fact, from my memory, the "experts" at EA thought that UO would only sell about 10,000 copies. That's why each shard was made for 10,000 total, with 3,000 simultaneous users. 
    By Beta, they knew otherwise, and came up with the "Shard" idea. 
    It wasn't that other games hadn't had a sub but that it was way more profitable than Sony realised. 

'By April, EverQuest had sold 60,000 copies. Six months later: 225,000 copies, doubling Ultima Online's already record-breaking numbers in half the time.' 
    KyleranAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited November 2021
    Scot said:
    I don't think he is a conman, I just go on his success/failure ratio, which gets worse as we move from old to new school MMOS. My gut feeling is that he must have a project, I just can't see him starting up a regional studio and being a consultant on say monetarization. So fingers crossed he is bringing his magic to a new game I have no intention of playing. :)
    To his credit, after he decided to shutter his own indie game when the Amazon offer came along he fully refunded all of his backers what they had donated.

All 50 of  his relatives I suppose....

;)
    AlBQuirkyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    To his credit, after he decided to shutter his own indie game when the Amazon offer came along he fully refunded all of his backers what they had donated.

;)
    Savage :))) 
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited November 2021
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:
    They never revealed to Sony that they were making Everquest. Kelly Flock the guy Smed worked for was saying it was for the console because that was what Sony wanted. All those lies that Smed told others in the office was to keep the project quiet and they were just the Ghouls and Goblin guys and the game got the money.

Everquest would never be a game if not for them hiding it until it was a success. The reason it succeeded was the monthly subs that really opened Sony's eyes.

https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the-internet-the-story-of-everquest-the-mmo-that-changed-everything/

I haven't read the article, but didn't UO show that people were willing to pay a monthly sub for a fantasy RPG?  EQ just took it to the next level.
    Yes. 
    In fact, from my memory, the "experts" at EA thought that UO would only sell about 10,000 copies. That's why each shard was made for 10,000 total, with 3,000 simultaneous users. 
    It wasn't that other games hadn't had a sub but that it was way more profitable than Sony realised. 

'By April, EverQuest had sold 60,000 copies. Six months later: 225,000 copies, doubling Ultima Online's already record-breaking numbers in half the time.' 
    Yeah, profitable because if you make something people really want, they will pay a fair price for it. 

It's funny, the article says that the rest of the people at Sony didn't believe in it. "Neverquest." 
    UO had the same problem. One of their execs once said that UO was "a game with a bunch of little people running around in tights." 
    Never say "it can't be done." 

I have a bone to pick on the release dates. Everybody thinks that UO was released in 1998, "a year" before EQ. Even that article says that. 
    EQ launched in March of 1999. 
    No one could remember when UO was released. Even Raph Koster couldn't remember for sure, but decided that UO launched in 1998. 
    The thing is, I had to have a hip replaced (see what I did there?) in Feb., 1998. 
    And I had been playing UO for a few months at that time. I wasn't in Beta or anything like that, so there's no mistake on my part. 
    I told my guild about it, and didn't play for a few weeks. And I was chomping at the bit to play, hehe. 
    And I carry a card that shows that I have a big chunk of metal in me for any time I have to go through a metal detector. And it says that I had that done in Feb., 1998, to confirm my own memory. 
    But no one seems to believe me. Ah well, such is life. 
    To the best of my knowledge, UO launched in Sept., 1997. That makes it about 1.5 years before EQ. 
    Not a big deal, just sayin'. 

I miss MMORPGs, as purely fun games. I regret what the RMTers and CSs have done to them. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

kitarad said:
    kitarad said:

Yes. 

Yeah, profitable because if you make something people really want, they will pay a fair price for it. 

It's funny, the article says that the rest of the people at Sony didn't believe in it. "Neverquest." 
    UO had the same problem. One of their execs once said that UO was "a game with a bunch of little people running around in tights." 

I have a bone to pick on the release dates. Everybody thinks that UO was released in 1998, "a year" before EQ. Even that article says that. 
    No one could remember when UO was released. Even Raph Koster couldn't remember for sure, but decided that UO launched in 1998. 
    The thing is, I had to have a hip replaced (see what I did there?) in Feb., 1998. 
    And I had been playing UO for a few months at that time. I wasn't in Beta or anything like that, so there's no mistake on my part. 
    I told my guild about it, and didn't play for a few weeks. And I was chomping at the bit to play, hehe. 
    And I carry a card that shows that I have a big chunk of metal in me for any time I have to go through a metal detector. And it says that I had that done in Feb., 1998, to confirm my own memory. 
    To the best of my knowledge, UO launched in Sept., 1997. That makes it about 1.5 years before EQ. 

I miss MMORPGs, as purely fun games. I regret what the RMTers and CSs have done to them. 
    UO launched Sep 24 1997, 1 day before my birthday, and I bought it as my own birthday present. I am definitely sure about that. 
    KyleranAmarantharAlBQuirky

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

John has nothing to do with Lost Ark. He is in charge of San Diego which is building an mmo with a couple other mmo vets. (using UE4 no less)
    I had heard that too, but since I don't have a source I didn't say anything. In fact, I have done a research that I think they will be the first company that I would try to sell it to. 
    AlBQuirky

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:

Yes. 

Oh yes operation dates are never forgotten. I remember when I had my hysterectomy and especially because I had been bleeding for awhile and had to have iron infusions before the operation. I trust your date for sure because these milestones leave a mark.
    AmarantharAlBQuirky

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    to be honest his bad rep is mostly hype. He's no worse than any other big developer. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    He has been with them five years, it is difficult to pin down what he is working on, but certainly more than one title. I am starting to revise my position on New World, though Lost Ark looks more likely. I believe his main thrust is in something we have not seen though possibly a P2E.

I think there must be some kind of gaming industry freemasons that he is a top honcho in, because no matter how badly he does there is always a new big job ready to take him on. :)
    Well I am not really sure how gaming industry works, but I presume, it is not a large circle of older guys, pretty much like my profession. We kind of all know each other, and many of us (not me, never, I am just too perfect) has made awful choices in our careers or have worked with shady governments, but we still know who is capable of what, and we really do believe in second, third, fourth, and eleventh chances. So I'm not really surprised about him landing a good job. 

I myself prefer to hire people who have made a lot of mistakes before, than the ones who haven't, and definitely are going to. 
    Smed is first and foremost a politician, closely followed by charming pitchman (con man?) and I have no doubt he blamed many of the biggest fumbles on his Corporate masters, Sony and Lucas Arts poor management decisions.

I'm sure his retelling highlights how he single handily salvaged the bad situations in spite of them, turning a good profit, changing water into wine, and of course, "resurrecting" his dead career.

Don't hold back, Kyle. How do you really feel? :lol:
    ConstantineMerusScot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2021
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    He has been with them five years, it is difficult to pin down what he is working on, but certainly more than one title. I am starting to revise my position on New World, though Lost Ark looks more likely. I believe his main thrust is in something we have not seen though possibly a P2E.

I think there must be some kind of gaming industry freemasons that he is a top honcho in, because no matter how badly he does there is always a new big job ready to take him on. :)
    Well I am not really sure how gaming industry works, but I presume, it is not a large circle of older guys, pretty much like my profession. We kind of all know each other, and many of us (not me, never, I am just too perfect) has made awful choices in our careers or have worked with shady governments, but we still know who is capable of what, and we really do believe in second, third, fourth, and eleventh chances. So I'm not really surprised about him landing a good job. 

I myself prefer to hire people who have made a lot of mistakes before, than the ones who haven't, and definitely are going to. 
    Smed is first and foremost a politician, closely followed by charming pitchman (con man?) and I have no doubt he blamed many of the biggest fumbles on his Corporate masters, Sony and Lucas Arts poor management decisions.

I'm sure his retelling highlights how he single handily salvaged the bad situations in spite of them, turning a good profit, changing water into wine, and of course, "resurrecting" his dead career.

Kyle is the kind of guy who would invite his daughter's date to a friendly stroll to get to know each other better while acting all kind and cool but then he pushes him into an alligator pit. But right before the beasts get to gate the poor bastard Kyle takes out his gun and starts shooting them. The date, escaping death by an inch, while terrified by Kyle's complete banana stunt, but relieved because he is thinking at least Kyle really didn't want to kill him but to send a message that what would happen to anyone who hurts his daughter, up until he realizes he is sinking in a swamp, screaming, begging, thinking it all must be a mistake, reaching his hands towards Kyle, who says well, you are right, you are a nice lad, you don't deserve this. A glimmer of hope gives the date more strength to reach desperately for the Florida man's strong hands, but then Kyle shrugs and continues but you also don't deserve my daughter, and leave the crying chap to his muddy grave. You might ask why dump him in an alligator pit in the first place and not some other swamp since he shot all the alligators, well, he also needed him as bait because later that day he was having a BBQ. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    Savage :))) 
    Hey, I am not related to Smed! I also didn’t ask for a refund.

Smed is a well know figure, contrary to the people in the teams he works with. Their failure, or the publishers’, becomes his failure to the public and he takes the heat, he does so pretty well too. Perhaps that is his true talent, being the ‘take one for the team’ guy, on the chin that is.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ConstantineMerusKyleranAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Kyle is the kind of guy who would invite his daughter's date to a friendly stroll to get to know each other better while acting all kind and cool but then he pushes him into an alligator pit. But right before the beasts get to gate the poor bastard Kyle takes out his gun and starts shooting them. The date, escaping death by an inch, while terrified by Kyle's complete banana stunt, but relieved because he is thinking at least Kyle really didn't want to kill him but to send a message that what would happen to anyone who hurts his daughter, up until he realizes he is sinking in a swamp, screaming, begging, thinking it all must be a mistake, reaching his hands towards Kyle, who says well, you are right, you are a nice lad, you don't deserve this. A glimmer of hope gives the date more strength to reach desperately for the Florida man's strong hands, but then Kyle shrugs and continues but you also don't deserve my daughter, and leave the crying chap to his muddy grave. You might ask why dump him in an alligator pit in the first place and not some other swamp since he shot all the alligators, well, he also needed him as bait because later that day he was having a BBQ. 
    I never did.

However, I did let several of them see me cleaning my guns when they came by to pick my daughter's up, and I often intentionally  called them by the wrong name, acting all puzzled or as if I had just blown some big secret.

My daughters used to get so pissed when I did the latter seeing as young men are so distrustful these days.

"Hi Steve. Err, Jim is it?  Oh wait, you aren't the one she brought by last week are you? Oops."

;)
    ConstantineMerusAlBQuirkyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

I never did.

However, I did let several of them see me cleaning my guns when they came by to pick my daughter's up, and I often intentionally  called them by the wrong name, acting all puzzled or as if I had just blown some big secret.

My daughters used to get so pissed when I did the latter seeing as young men are so distrustful these days.

"Hi Steve. Err, Jim is it?  Oh wait, you aren't the one she brought by last week are you? Oops."

;)
    Savage!! :)))
    AlBQuirky

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Not at all. The San Diego team is working on a new MMO.
    AlBQuirky

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com