Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want in an mmo?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Something different.
    AlBQuirkyScot[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited November 2021
    AlBQuirky said:
    No, not free, obviously. 
    The question is, how many subs could a game like that draw, and how much could they charge? 
    I think it would sell more than any other subscription MMORPG to date (WoW?), and be able to charge more for their sub also. I don't think that $19.95/month would hamper sales at all. 

Assuming that they did it well, of course. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    No, not free, obviously. 
    The question is, how many subs could a game like that draw, and how much could they charge? 
    I think it would sell more than any other subscription MMORPG to date (WoW?), and be able to charge more for their sub also. I don't think that $19.95/month would hamper sales at all. 

That was said as a joke. "I Want it all!" by Queen left me thinking that "free" would be part of "all" :)
    Amaranthar

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Fan service.
    AlBQuirkyUngood

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited November 2021
    No pvp

Guild out of the hands of douchy powertriping player and there friends

I would have npc guilds only. Something different. As you meet the requirements through quests etc you rise the ranks of the guild which open up vendors and different chats. You can also build up your local chapter by participating in the content. No leader required as the leader would be an npc. I would have guilds dedicated to every activity in the game i.e. dungeons, exploration, tradeskills, farming, merchants, archetype (all with unique local chapters) and you could only join a couple locals at a time. Completion of various content makes you eligible for certain ranks. Highest ranking players get their own theme music :)

it wouldn't have pvp but it would have pve challenges that would indirectly pit you against other players for ranking. Top players could be challenged by other players who meet the requirements and have to do randomized challenge gauntlets and other tests of skill etc to maintain their ranking. Chapters can also indirectly compete against eachother in similar ways.   
    Post edited by Rungar on
    AlBQuirkyMendel
    .05 of a second to midnight
    edited November 2021
    AlBQuirky said:
    No, not free, obviously. 

Im partial to the housing sub method:  

$7 a month: tiny instanced apartment
    $9 a month: small instanced house
    $11 a month: medium instanced house
    $13 a month: medium zoned house
    $15 a month: large zoned house
    $25 a month: extra large zoned house

all give access to the game, no cash shop required, no p2w. 

AlBQuirkyAmarantharkjempff[Deleted User]
    edited November 2021
    I agree with those who want a much lower power curve and i believe in the idea thats its easy to get up to speed "raw power" wise but can take a long time to tweak your character to "just right". I do believe you should be able to collect it all with one character but should apply to all your characters. 

so you find a skill book for a particular skill: that goes in your library where all your characters can access it. Likewise training stations are house based so other characters will be able to access that. Your main limit in my view is armor which limits what skills can be employed. You can do it all with one character, or multiple characters. Just not at the same time in either case. Your house becomes the collection of you regardless of how you want to play.  

To this end I prefer to use a collectible, trainable and modifiable skill approach as opposed to levels or improve on use. 

easy to get a few core abilities going but might take along time to find the interesting ones, and among the interesting ones to modify them exactly the way you want them. 

the base stat food system similar to what you might see in valheim will keep players grounded such that their stats will never grow to the point where any content is completely eclipsed.  I dont believe in raw stats on equipment or free stats from levels. 
    AlBQuirky
    edited November 2021
    Deathkon1 said:
    All in all imma be 6 feet under before I see a game that can hold my interest comes around, I've tried everything on the market currently and have declared it at least for me mmorpg's are a dead end so I just try to work more to distract myself and give me something to do, I've long since lost my passion for gaming at least for now because nothing can hold my attention span

Good post overall, but this last paragraph had me nodding vehemently. I'll be long gone from this world IF something ever even comes close to my dream MMORPG :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:
    All in all imma be 6 feet under before I see a game that can hold my interest comes around, I've tried everything on the market currently and have declared it at least for me mmorpg's are a dead end so I just try to work more to distract myself and give me something to do, I've long since lost my passion for gaming at least for now because nothing can hold my attention span

Good post overall, but this last paragraph had me nodding vehemently. I'll be long gone from this world IF something ever even comes close to my dream MMORPG :)

IF they EVER release an "UO2" with the spirit of the first game and modern graphics and sound like BDO or NW, they'd possibly have done it for me.
    But that's very unlikely.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Difficult dungeons, difficult raids, progression.
    BrainyAlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited November 2021
    Rungar said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    No, not free, obviously. 

Im partial to the housing sub method:  

$7 a month: tiny instanced apartment
    $9 a month: small instanced house
    $11 a month: medium instanced house
    $13 a month: medium zoned house
    $15 a month: large zoned house
    $25 a month: extra large zoned house

all give access to the game, no cash shop required, no p2w. 

I like this idea a lot. 
    But I don't like the idea of zoned housing. I want houses placed in the game world. 
    And with a super huge world, and with danger for houses that are in "the wilds" and outside of city protection from wandering MOBs, greater danger in prime locations like mountain sides and in Enchanted Forests" and the like, I think it works very well. 
    In capital cities, though, I can see a "zoned" system working well inside of walled spaces that can be larger than the outside wall space, and expanded on over time. 

This allows for players to have that "special place" they call their own to show it off outside of the capital cities, and for Crafting Players to locate ("location, location, location") around the game world. 

It also offers Players, with the desire, to start their own small towns and grow them into large cities. 
    Or guilds to create a multi-building holding out in the world. 
    Or Players to create their own temples or whatever, in the world. 

I'd adjust your price list accordingly. 

Post edited by Amaranthar on
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Well I'll chime in, in the end, a lot of things I like, would just be a junction of what I think are already great ideas in MMO's.

Setting.

I like Steam Punk, and Warhammer 40K. there is no shortage of Fantasy games, and they are fun, but overall, I think Steampunk really needs some love, and I think they have some of the best costume/outfit ideas.

Game Play: - PvE/PvP.

I don't see the need for PvP in a game. Just does not seem to thrill me, mainly because the idea of continual character progression and building, does not mix well with PvP, which excels at more horizontal gameplay.

So, for PvP to exist, it either needs to exist at some point in the game where players even out, like how GW2 does sPvP, where everyone is the same level, and has access to all the same gear and abilities, so no one having any kind of actual build advantage. This of course, then leads to class balance, which is a whole other level of stupid, and often again, does not blend well with a good PvP game.

So for the most part, the game would be a PvE game, for the people that need PvP, sorry, this is not the game for you, please go find some other game to play.

There would however, be PvP enabled in some select areas, like Brawling/Fighting pits, that players can go into, which would be tagged and set up to be either public or private, this would be made avaliable, so players could test their builds against each other, or settle some e-peen waving issues they may have.

But PvP wopuld have no major role in the overall game, because, IMHO, PvP and Deep, Complex, rich Character Development, and Complex Combat do not mix, that stuff excels in PvE, so that is where it would be.

If people want to call this game a care bear game, that is fine, feel free to go play something else, it does not bother me none.

Game Play - Open World / Dungeons.

Some Open World would follow GW2's pattern, It's Open, anyone can join in, full of Dynamic Events, Exploration, PoI, Explorer Points, World Bosses, even Meta Events. Pretty much a stock map of fun filled adventures.

There would be Other Open Worlds would follow the Trove Set Up, Randomly generated survival maps, these would mainly be Materials Harvesting maps, where the world was for the most part, fully destructible, you could harvest all the trees, dive the ground, kill the animals, and just blanket harvest, or die trying, it would be Voxel style (Just more realistic Looking), these would be very savage "Survival" maps, loaded with hostility, but nothing actually set up, no POI's, no timed events, just, an open world, that players could harvest in. There would be rare spawns in this open world, like dragons, and whatever, where if killed, would drop rare materials, again, for crafting.

There would also be Instance Dungeons. Like DDO. With difficulty settings. Pretty much set up, like DDO's dungeons. Where you have a whole quest to do, that rewards, loot, exp, favor, etc, and can opt to make it private or public. 

Character Builder: - Character Models.

I would mainly follow the GW2 system, where you picked a Body Style, and then a Skin Style, and then things like tattoo's, and extras, according to race, etc.

Class Make - Up and Development.

I am hard pressed to not use DDO here, with an Option to mix up to 3 separate classes, each with 3 distinct paths, just makes for a lot of options, and a lot of various ways to make a build.

So for the most part, I would use DDO's Class/Build system, as well as their TR system.

Crafting:

I am not sure on this one, I think I would use a system based off GW2, where you can start crafting right from the beginning, and make your own gear as you level up, the first time, and crafting just becomes a fancy for the rich in the later game, with Legendary crafting.

I have always believed that if you had a good crafting system you do not need loot gen, as a good crafting system should be able to make whatever loot gen can make, or better, if it can't, then it's really not a good crafting system, if some randomly generated stuff can outclass it.

So in that sense, GW2, did have a solid crafting plan, where the best stuff was crafted stuff, and loot gen was pretty much little more than something to make due, or to decon into materials, and a means to fill inventory.

So ideally, I would want to build a crafting system, that works with a rare-loot-drop system that DDO has, So like GW2 meets DDO in the crafting department.

The way that would be set up, would be like when you complete raids or get a rare drop from a dungeon, it is a crafting material that allows for a special item to be made from it.

Like, Ergo. You get Red Dragon Scales from doing Vault of Night, and you can use those Scales to craft Red Dragon Scale Armor.

So that is how the crafting system would work.

Housing: 

The idea of some adventure building a house never sat well with me, so, since I would be building an instance based hub world, players would get what amounted to Apartments, where they could store all their crap, or put their trophies on display.

I would put in a Fame level into the game, Similar to DDO's Guild Renown system, that would for the individual player, that would give them access to levels of apartments they could purchase.

They could control access on who could go into their apartments, they could store stuff there, make displays, and all that jazz.

They would also be able to recover faster in their Apartments, as well as hire Servants to tend to their gear, and items, so resting in their Apartment gave them a full update recovery.

I would also have interactive stuff in housing, like a Sim's kind of set up, tables to eat at, chairs to sit and read a book, beds, baths, sparring dummies, even wardrobes and the like.

Shops:

Players would be able to Set Up shops.

Again, Instance world, so, a player would simply buy a entrance way, and set up a instances shop, that any other player would be able to just go into that shop and buy, sell, trade, in those shops. Depending on how the player set up their shop, obviously.

Auction House:

Would work like GW2 Auction House.

Guilds:

There would be no such thing as the Traditional Guild.

Social Organizations would be broken down into 3 tiers.

• Clan/Tribe/Family (IE: Your close friends, family, Static)
    A player can only be in 1 of these.

• Team / Focused Organization or Group (Ie: Blacksmiths, Paladins, Etc)
    a player can be in up to 3 of these.

• Social Group / Loose Acquaintance with purpose (IE: Raiders, Newb Guild, Etc)
    A player can be in up to 6 of these.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Monetization of the Game.

Simply Put. Players Buy Content.

Players buy Adventure Packs, and Expansions, and within that content players can earn the gear, cosmetics, pets, mounts, classes, races, abilities, etc, etc, all of it earned by playing the game, once you own the content pack. Some of it would be able to be bought outside the content, for the players that did not want waste time playing the game to earn it, but taking advantage of peoples impatience is a tried and true formula to make money.

Expansions might be Tiered. Where a player would need to own the expansion, to get access to buy additional content packs relating to that expansion.

Equally so, some Content Packs would be Tiered as well. Meaning you need to get the first in the series to get the later ones, and the store would be set up to explain this to everyone clearly, unlike how DDO does not tell anyone crap.

This would be explained very clearly, that some packs would be part of a continual story arc, and you might need to buy the first part, to get access to the later parts.  This would allow the dev team to revisit content, add to existing stories, and build off a already there foundation, as opposed to needing to have all content packs be a once and done set up.

In these events, once an arc like that was completed, the whole pack would be sold at a discount, and anyone that bought them individually as they came out would get some kind of token cosmetic reward.

Equally so, there would be Birthday Rewards, like GW2 does.

There would also be rewards given to anyone that bought pack that later became F2P.

There would be an option to Sub.

Minimal Sub, would give all non-expansion packs, as well as races, classes, and the like.

Advanced Sub would give all Content, as well as all races, classes and the like.

For someone with a sub, who unlocked something that they already own, they would get a additional token cosmetic award, to show they are not being forgotten.

VIP's would also get additional Weekly, Monthly, and Annual rewards, for as long as they kept their ViP active.

Healing, Survival, Raising, and all the means to survive through your own blunders, would be sold in the store as well, because, that is how some people like to play.

Also dyes, tattoo's, character modifications, hair styles, body choices, and things like skin, eye, and hair colors, etc, and other kinds of non-game earning cosmetics would sold in the store.

There would be no Loot Boxes or RNG crap, the RNG would be kept in the end chests, where it belongs.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:

IF they EVER release an "UO2" with the spirit of the first game and modern graphics and sound like BDO or NW, they'd possibly have done it for me.

I wish I could agree, but UO didn't appeal to me before because of PvP. Everything else about the game has me yearning to try it out, anyway :)

A graphics update would certainly help, too, I'm ashamed to say :blush:
    Ungood

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:

I wish I could agree, but UO didn't appeal to me before because of PvP. Everything else about the game has me yearning to try it out, anyway :)

Yeah, UO2 with modern graphics (BDO or NW like).
    About PVP, they patched in "Trammel" in a hurry to stop player hemorrhaging, so that problem was solved back in 2000 ;)
    AlBQuirky
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

The core of my system is that your archetype determines your defensive ability what I call situational mitigation.  You can dabble in other archetypes to some degree but you always suffer a net loss of defense for increasing your utility. 

as players get better at the game they can get by with less defense so naturally hybrid players with more utility will evolve over time, assuming they are skilled enough to get by with lower defenses.

its literally self balancing. Each end of the triangle will always be best at one particular situation, and this is also the easiest path to attain. The better you become at the game the more you can blur this distinction resulting in endless combinations to collect and try out at the cost of defense. 

a pure skill based system, though you never ever have to "level up" anything.  Just find what you need, implement it and modify it to your liking. 

obsolete static systems like the "tank/dps/healer" and "experience" are detrimental to gameplay as they are such tired concepts that have outlived their usefulness. 

its only a matter of time before "resource/base based" replaces "experience" and more dynamic concepts like situational mitigation replace the static tank/dps/healer role system. 

UngoodAlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:

About PVP, they patched in "Trammel" in a hurry to stop player hemorrhaging, so that problem was solved back in 2000 ;)
    True. My problem with UO these days is that it's lost the social game play because everyone is maxed out. All they do is jump in for GM events (and special loot) or the Felucca PvP raids in the Dungeons (and RMT zergs). 
    There's very little activity outside of that. 
    You can still play, basically solo, but it's just not the same as it used to be. 

I could be wrong, that was the case when I last played years ago. I haven't seen anything to make me think that's changed. 

But it's a great game anyways. I often think about going back just to "live" in Sosaria again. 
    There's so much to do. It would take someone completely new quite a bit of reading and asking questions on forums to learn the ins and outs, I think. 
    Hell, I can't even remember so much of the details now. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    My basic wants:

1) beautiful and large open world to explore
    2) some kind of IP or backstory, although play should be freeform, not on rails
    3) good harvesting and crafting that takes skill to get the best results
    4) mix of opportunities, like PvP, RvR, world bosses, invasions, etc
    5) good character progression where your character gets more powerful as they grow
    6) good variety of skills, and not just 3 or 5 at a time being accessible
    7) side activities, like fishing, card games, diplomacy, etc
    8) everything in the game can be gotten by playing, no P2W
    9) no open world full loot PvP, although restricted areas are ok
    ScorchienAlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

i would prefer not to have pvp per say in the game per say but I would have it so you can travel to a special pvp server and do your thing with the upfront explanation that the game wont ever be balanced or be specifically supported for pvp. 

if eso is any indication the rvr idea has run its course considering 99% of development for that game is pve and within pve mostly overland and dungeons. 
    AlBQuirky
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:

True. My problem with UO these days is that it's lost the social game play because everyone is maxed out. All they do is jump in for GM events (and special loot) or the Felucca PvP raids in the Dungeons (and RMT zergs). 
    You can still play, basically solo, but it's just not the same as it used to be. 

I could be wrong, that was the case when I last played years ago. I haven't seen anything to make me think that's changed. 

But it's a great game anyways. I often think about going back just to "live" in Sosaria again. 
    There's so much to do. It would take someone completely new quite a bit of reading and asking questions on forums to learn the ins and outs, I think. 
    New Legacy servers with modified rule sets and some new features are coming to UO soon , may be something that would interest you,  the community is pretty excited for it.. 
    AlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Deathkon1 said:

New Legacy servers with modified rule sets and some new features are coming to UO soon , may be something that would interest you,  the community is pretty excited for it.. 
    I'm not even going to say anything, amidst this hopeless landscape of MMORP"G"s. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

edited November 2021
    well I surmised a while ago that mmo's as we know them are dead and better quality games on smaller (like 100ish players) private/official servers would rise instead that focus on stronger gameplay elements like base building etc.

That's what seems to be happening. More and more games will be built this way. Its just better. 

MMo's are a failed genre. It stagnated itself to death. Seems to be a theme. I actually blame D&D for the death of mmo's. They just Couldn't escape that formula.  
    AmarantharAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited November 2021
    Fun, with no or optional PvP ideally.

Otherwise I'm generally adaptable.
    Yeah this I don't enjoy PvP either and would opt out in a heartbeat. That does not mean the game cannot have it, just leave me out of it.

Fun is such an apt description. You cannot list out what combination can be fun in a game. I never liked PvP but I have enjoyed Warsong Gulch to the point that my hands shake with anticipation. So listing out points isn't going to make a game interesting or fun when they combine those points and create an unfun game.

I think even things that look bad to me can end up being good. I think it is the overall experience in a game that makes it playable for me. Even when I ignored almost all of PvP in both Archeage and The Black Desert the two games had a fantastic trading system that really perked my interest in the game and made it worth my while.

I love so many things about Everquest 2 and WoW. I cannot just put all the systems I like into a game and expect it to be something that is fun. So in my opinion it is like making a dish you can add the ingredients even the best and freshest but it does not mean the dish will be a chef's kiss.
    AlBQuirky