Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Majority of Game Developers Are Beginning to Include Blockchain in Their Games

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
The trend of including blockchain elements and NFTs in video games is here to stay. According to a study released this week commissioned by blockchain platform Stratis, and by a research firm called Opinium, 58% of the 197 surveyed developers in the U.S. and U.K. are beginning to use blockchain elements in their games. Furthermore, according to the same study, 48% of these developers are incorporating NFTs in their games.

https://news.bitcoin.com/the-majority-of-game-developers-are-beginning-to-include-blockchain-in-their-games-according-to-study/
"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    this will just make good developers like irongate even more popular since their focus is on the games and not the monetization schemes. 
    laseritMendel
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think there's something wrong in that study: It doesn't sound believable that 47% of devs are actually already implementing NFTs.

If I had to guess, either the research is intentionally skewed, or possibly the devs who develop blockchain games are more willing to tell about it. Whereas a lot of those who don't might just not answer the study at all.
    bcbullyScotKyleranAndemnon

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited November 2021
    For me, the question is still what exactly blockchain and NFT add to the gameplay. Or is the whole thing just a new business model to make even more money from gamers or to circumvent gambling laws?
    MendelKyleranbiaxil
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited November 2021
    Vrika said:
    I think there's something wrong in that study: It doesn't sound believable that 47% of devs are actually already implementing NFTs.

If I had to guess, either the research is intentionally skewed, or possibly the devs who develop blockchain games are more willing to tell about it. Whereas a lot of those who don't might just not answer the study at all.
    this is how they push their agendas using people like bc, who is likely being paid in some way, they also pay for the shoddy study which may or may not be real. 

the idea is to incrementally make you think something is popular and supported over time when it is not so they can gain critical mass to start pushing it through.

typical gangster trick. 

good games sell themselves and dont need this shit. You see this shit in a game , head the other way. 
    bcbullyKidRisk
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    PAID SHILL - Donald Sutherland Body Snatchers  Meme Generator
    KidRisk
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2021
    Vrika said:

When you have companies like EA and Ubisoft endorsing blockchain as the future of gaming... you know we're pretty much F'd.

I kept talking about this, people barking at wrong doors oblivious to what has been brewing on the industry this past years, now it might be too late to stop a widespread adoption of this heavy merge of money & gaming and seeing gaming as an investment/gamble to potentially profit from them.

It's the gold rush all over again, if it works out... you'll get rich! :p
    Scot
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

When you have companies like EA and Ubisoft endorsing blockchain as the future of gaming... you know we're pretty much F'd.

I kept talking about this, people barking at wrong doors oblivious to what has been brewing on the industry this past years, now it might be too late to stop a widespread adoption of this heavy merge of money & gaming and seeing gaming as an investment/gamble to potentially profit from them.

But if you think about how many small game devs there are, it sounds unbelievable that 47% of all devs would already be implementing stuff like that.

The study was bought by a party who advocates blockchain, so it's far more likely scenario that they've just managed to buy a result that's beneficial for their advertising.
    BrotherMaynard

Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

But if you think about how many small game devs there are, it sounds unbelievable that 47% of all devs would already be implementing stuff like that.

The study was bought by a party who advocates blockchain, so it's far more likely scenario that they've just managed to buy a result that's beneficial for their advertising.
    The small devs where there first. The big guys are just getting on board.
    BrotherMaynard
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2021
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

That too. But the massive success of NFT/etc games getting massive amounts of money from crypto crazy people who love to gamble it out is deff rapidily raising eyebrows all over the industry. 

There is deff to exist a progressive growth and visibility of it, but wouldn't estimate interest or projects looking into it, will reflect on games being released short-med term including this already.
    Kyleran
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

That too. But the massive success of NFT/etc games getting massive amounts of money from crypto crazy people who love to gamble it out is deff rapidily raising eyebrows all over the industry. 

There is deff to exist a progressive growth and visibility of it, but wouldn't estimate interest or projects looking into it, will reflect on games being released short-med term including this already.
    The 47% was "47% have already started to incorporate Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) in their games".

I think that the number of devs who have considered NFTs must be close to 100%. You'd have to be unprofessional to not think it at all. But US alone has more than 2 300 game dev companies (estimated by Entertainment Software Association). Most of the companies are small and developing only a couple of games at a time. They use a ready-made engine like Unity, and typically limit their games to what can already be done with either their game engine, or Steam's/Player Store's ready made functionality.

It's just not believable that 47% of the devs would already be incorporating NFTs.
    Mendel

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2021
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

The 47% was "47% have already started to incorporate Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) in their games".

I think that the number of devs who have considered NFTs must be close to 100%. You'd have to be unprofessional to not think it at all. But US alone has more than 2 300 game dev companies (estimated by Entertainment Software Association). Most of the companies are small and developing only a couple of games at a time. They use a ready-made engine like Unity, and typically limit their games to what can already be done with either their game engine, or Steam's/Player Store's ready made functionality.

It's just not believable that 47% of the devs would already be incorporating NFTs.
    Unity is the engine of Web 3, of blockchains. Nearly all Decentralized applications (Dapps) front ends are made with Unity. 

If I were to buy any stock, it would be Unity, NFA.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I don’t like artificial sweeteners.

They use them because it’s cheaper than using the real thing.
    Mendel

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited November 2021
    nurso said:
    For me, the question is still what exactly blockchain and NFT add to the gameplay. Or is the whole thing just a new business model to make even more money from gamers or to circumvent gambling laws?
    You can make money as long as you can find someone to buy you shit for more money than you did.

You can use your credit card to speculate to your credits content. This kind of shit makes me think of times like 2008 and 1929 

edit: I hope people don’t think that governments are going to let this all go tax free.

edited November 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:
    People feel that way about your posts because for you the 'win' seems to be cryptocurrency and NFTs in a game whereas for many of us here the 'win' is a good game regardless of the technology beneath.

It would be like reading posts from someone excited that a game can take PayPal or a huge buzz around games that require an online account and credit card number.

This report shows that vast number of new games are embracing the need to enter a credit card number to play...

Trust, I know. From my first post about crypto and blockchain (Brave Browser) my goal was to help and let this community I love know about what's happening and how the tech is a game changer. 

I'm a pvp'r at heart though, mmorpgs to these forums. My stance is that Blockchain and NFTs will bring gaming out of the 1980's like slump we've been in. 

The energy and excitement I've seen around these communities on discord and twitter is how we used to be before SWTOR. I love it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Sounds like a convenience sample to me.  Kind of like those old Internet polls that had Ron Paul getting elected President in a landslide.
    laseritKidRiskBrotherMaynardAndemnon
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:
    bcbully said:
    People feel that way about your posts because for you the 'win' seems to be cryptocurrency and NFTs in a game whereas for many of us here the 'win' is a good game regardless of the technology beneath.

It would be like reading posts from someone excited that a game can take PayPal or a huge buzz around games that require an online account and credit card number.

This report shows that vast number of new games are embracing the need to enter a credit card number to play...

Trust, I know. From my first post about crypto and blockchain (Brave Browser) my goal was to help and let this community I love know about what's happening and how the tech is a game changer. 

I'm a pvp'r at heart though, mmorpgs to these forums. My stance is that Blockchain and NFTs will bring gaming out of a 1980's like slump we've been in. 

The energy and excitement I've seen around these communities on discord and twitter is how we used to be before SWTOR. I love it.
    Zero us in on something that doesn’t involve monetization.

Quizzical said:
    Sounds like a convenience sample to me.  Kind of like those old Internet polls that had Ron Paul getting elected President in a landslide.
    What people say and do can be very different ;)

I don’t answer polls personally.

“Hi could I have a few minutes of your time for this research.” “Well hi there, let me ask you. Do you get paid to conduct these polls?” Well yes of I do sir” “Well tell them they can pay for my time too”

Most the time your donating so they can fuck you.
    RungarAndemnon

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited November 2021
    laserit said:
    You can make money as long as you can find someone to buy you shit for more money than you did.
    And what exactly is the difference to systems like the Steam Community Market?

You can use your credit card to speculate to your credits content. This kind of shit makes me think of times like 2008 and 1929
    Uncontrolled speculation with (a lot of) money is not welcomed by most states.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Vrika said:

I agree the % sounds too high but we on here have been saying this is the way its been heading since what last year? So the trend is correct and that's all that matters really. Like I keep saying play your cash shop and GaaS games now because this revenue system is going to make them seem like a fair playing field. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
    edited November 2021
    Deathkon1 said:
    I'm fucking 25 and I feel like I will be 6 feet under before I see this happen on a large scale with at least as many players of wow or hell even runescape

Call me when I get to see a game with 10,000 players on at all times at the very bare minimum and I will believe this will even work 

Hell be hard pressed to hear of any official game title thats already out with 300 players and is actually well known with block chain

Keyword of this entire post is beginning meaning they are getting the frame work put together and even when they do they they might need to redo the framework over and over to get it right, I give it 5-10 years before they even have so much as a tiny foundation to build upon

Splinterlands - 357k players in the last 24 hours.
    https://dappradar.com/rankings/category/games
    https://splinterlands.com/

Axie has more than 1.8 million daily users

edit - Hell there is over 1000 people in discord For The Red Village right now. Asking questions, finding info and having a damn good time. 
    Post edited by bcbully on
    Sensai
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    And since when is 47% a 'majority'?  Must be the new math.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

nurso said:
    laserit said:
    And what exactly is the difference to systems like the Steam Community Market?

Uncontrolled speculation with (a lot of) money is not welcomed by most states.
    It's being sold as much more than that, listen to the jingle.

Uncontrolled speculation is nothing new and we don't have to look back far to see its effects.

I personally separate Blockchain from NFT and Crypto. Blockchain is the tool, Crypto and NFT's are a couple things that are done with the tool.

Imho  

Kyleran