Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Producer Talks Creative Process, Seeking Longevity in a New MMORPG, and Community Feedback

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Producer Talks Creative Process, Seeking Longevity in a New MMORPG, and Community Feedback | MMORPG.com

Amazon senior producer Katy Kaszynski gave a talk at Develop:Brighton this week and talked about what the team was looking to do in creating New World and how community feedback and response plays a role in working to create longevity in a new MMORPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mibgeneralmibgeneral Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited October 2021
    AGS = unlimited $$$ and resources, put it to work. and please stop copy and paste beast, town, etc.
    Dr_BinksScotvelimirius
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    You seek longevity in a game which has no real content, a terrible combat system and a main PvP mode (wars) which is cliquey and locks out most players?

Good luck with that.......

Also the lore sucks so hard its not even funny.
    theGnadevelimiriusJeroKane
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I enjoy the game this far. I have not done much PvP yet, but I love the combat for PvE. I really like the physicality of it. Getting knocked around when you hit and get hit.

First new MMO in years that made me want to play more after trying it. ESO was the last one I remember off the top of my head. That was 2014, I don't remember an MMO since then that I really wanted to keep playing.
    Iselin[Deleted User]TokkenScotvelimiriusYashaX[Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited October 2021
    Unless they fix the bugs quicker, like one's reported in alpha beta, and doing something about the shitty economy and high tax rate on housing I am not seeing a long term/longevity on the game.

People are going to burn out big time just keeping up with paying their damn home taxes....
    [Deleted User]ReaperUkTokkenOldKingLogJeroKane

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Asm0deus said:

Unless they fix the bugs quicker, like one's reported in alpha beta, and doing something about the shitty economy and high tax rate on housing I am not seeing a long term/longevity on the game.

People are going to burn out big time just keeping up with paying their damn home taxes....

It's not worth having a house IMO.
    OldKingLog[Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Tokken said:

Asm0deus said:

Yep haven't even bothered buying a house as it seems like a worthless gold sink. People keep telling me that a house is useful if you are a crafter. So far for me though only food, potions, and ammo seem worth crafting as everything else is such a giant waste of materials to level and then the top level items aren't worth a damn anyway.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Well I haven't played NW in about 2 weeks. Why because I'm tired of it already.

You go from one town to another but it looks just like the last town you were at. You go to get the guests and low and behold they're the same guests you just got done doing in the last town that just happens to look the same as the new town. Now these quests just aren't similar they are the same just different locations, and many of them even have the same mob type.

It's not that it's a bad game because it's not, but it's not great either! The combat is ok at best.
    The crafting is ok at best.
    It's a pretty good hunting SIM.
    And well if you like being a lumberjack well it's pretty good at that too.

But as far as having a story that pulls you in so you want to play? Not there!

Quests that are fun and enjoyable? Nope not there either.

Does the world look good. Yes it does and I did not have any problems other then NW makes my PC run warmer then other MMO's I play like BDO, ESO, No Mans Sky, FF14, SWTOR, and I can go on. (Yes I play a lot I'm disabled)

Did I get my moneys worth? Well depends how you look at it. I made it to lvl 32 and with the betas and all I have 74 hours in the game. Will I login from time to time yes because that's the type of gamer I am so one could say yes I did get my moneys worth.

Would I say it's a must play? no I can't say that because there really isn't anything about the game that is a must to experience. Sure the world is neat but that's really it.

The character creator sucks! The preset are all ugly and there is no way to mod them in anyway.

For me the biggest problems with NW is all of the pasty and copy. Sure all game have it but NW takes it to an all new lvl. The game needs content a lot of it if they want to keep people playing.

Oh I have to add I don't do PVP so for me that is irrelevant content.
    NeBuRKyleranSensaimibgeneral
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tokken said:

Asm0deus said:

Yep haven't even bothered buying a house as it seems like a worthless gold sink. People keep telling me that a house is useful if you are a crafter. So far for me though only food, potions, and ammo seem worth crafting as everything else is such a giant waste of materials to level and then the top level items aren't worth a damn anyway.
    Owning a house saves you azoth and makes getting back to your preferred hub easier. You can port to it from anywhere (not just a shrine or town) just like the inn for free and when you're loaded up there's no extra azoth cost to reset its cooldown by using azoth.

The cost to reset the cooldown is never any more than 50.

If you don't care about the storage or number of trophies it can hold, buy the cheapest house and your taxes will be low. They come with a longer natural port cooldown but who cares when it's so cheap to reset it anyway.

You are also eligible to buy a house in a town at territory standing 10 which is pretty trivial to get casually just doing stuff in that territory. The expensive ones require 30 standing and that's a bit of a grind.

Also, if you're gone for a month and don't pay your taxes, you won't have to pay back taxes to re-enable the house perks - just need to pay the current week's taxes and you're good to go.

The fast travel alone makes them a must unless you don't care about having to run to towns or shrines and spending a lot of azoth to get anywhere especially when your inventory is near full.

Asm0deusOldKingLogKyleran[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2021
    Iselin said:
    ...snip...
    Owning a house saves you azoth and makes getting back to your preferred hub easier. You can port to it from anywhere (not just a shrine or town) just like the inn for free and when you're loaded up there's no extra azoth cost to reset its cooldown by using azoth.

If you don't care about the storage or number of trophies it can hold, buy the cheapest house and your taxes will be low. They come with a longer natural port cooldown but who cares when it's so cheap to reset it anyway.

You are also eligible to buy a house in a town at territory standing 10 which is pretty trivial to get casually just doing stuff in that territory. The expensive ones require 30 standing and that's a bit of a grind.

Also, if you're gone for a month and don't pay your taxes, you won't have to pay back taxes to re-enable the house perks - just need to pay the current week's taxes and you're good to go.

The fast travel alone makes them a must unless you don't care about having to run to towns or shrines and spending a lot of azoth to get anywhere especially when your inventory is near full.

WW standing level 46 right now and I take the property tax reduction card every time unless it comes up along with the storage card..the taxes being every 5 days is just too much though.

Seriously it doesn't take long at all till you have paid far more in taxes than the actual cost of the house.....

Housing tax is one of my pet peeves...I would rather they make the initial cost of the house far more...but scrub taxes on them or make it once a month instead of every 5 days.

The home ownership grind doesn't belong in our video game we got enough of that in real life IMO.
    IselinYashaXKyleran[Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    ...snip...

WW standing level 46 right now and I take the property tax reduction card every time unless it comes up along with the storage card..the taxes being every 5 days is just too much though.

Seriously it doesn't take long at all till you have paid far more in taxes than the actual cost of the house.....

Housing tax is one of my pet peeves...I would rather they make the initial cost of the house far more...but scrub taxes on them or make it once a month instead of every 5 days.

The home ownership grind doesn't belong in our video game we got enough of that in real life IMO.
    Yup. Every 5 days is just nuts especially in a game that doesn't exactly shower you with gold from quest rewards and zero from mob drops.

I guess they were expecting the trading post to be the main source of income but that is a sad joke in its present state.

I also take the tax reduction and storage perks preferentially but the housing tax amounts and frequency are still out of whack. 
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    ...snip...

The upkeep of towns is pretty expensive. The owners need some way to raise cash to keep the defenses going and keep those crafting stations running and improving.

I don’t see the house taxes as too bad, especially since we can benefit from some buffs. But then again my places have always been 5-7 percent tax.  20% would be a tough nut to crack.

I think now that Outpost Rush is back, we will see a big uptick in coins on the market. Inflation, here we come.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2021
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    ...snip...

The upkeep of towns is pretty expensive. The owners need some way to raise cash to keep the defenses going and keep those crafting stations running and improving.

I don’t see the house taxes as too bad, especially since we can benefit from some buffs. But then again my places have always been 5-7 percent tax.  20% would be a tough nut to crack.

I think now that Outpost Rush is back, we will see a big uptick in coins on the market. Inflation, here we come.

Town upkeep and upgrades should be payed from trade and crafting tax, not every town needs to have all t5 stations and whatnot.

Upkeep isn't that bad considering it's not that hard for a major trade hubs to make 250k 300k+ coins.

The problem isn't upkeep it's how often invasions occur and how much they downgrade things, in smaller towns it's not too bad but the more a town is upgraded the more downgrades it suffers in invasions that are not won.

People keep moaning about inflation however they forget some things like the town upkeep and paying taxes will become easier if there is some inflation.

Basics like the taxes on a 10k house etc will remain the same whether people have more disposable gold or less..........far better for peeps to have more gold on hand and maybe pay more for some stuff in the AH than less and not be able to pay your house taxes or for it to become a boring grind akin to a real life job.

This would also have the side benefit of making towns have more tax income to keep those upgrades going and to ensure even smaller out of the main traffic town have a chance to pay upkeep etc.

It's always bla bla inflation but no one ever mentions deflation......people don't seem to know that moderate inflation is far better for everyone and the economy than deflation.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    AGS = unlimited $$$ and resources, put it to work. and please stop copy and paste beast, town, etc.

That's not how it works. Like ....at all.

Amazon.com Inc has a lot of money and resources.

Amazon Game Studios has whatever money and resources Amazon.com Inc thinks they can get by with.
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,954
    edited October 2021
    "The subject of the talk was how Amazon looks at customer feedback and testing data to create a world that can retain players."

You can get all the opinions and data you want, it is how you interpret them that matters. Are players doing gameplay 'x' because they like it best or only because it is the best way to achieve result 'y'? How subjective are the opinions of the players, we have had many comments about quests and control point issues, don't listen to those saying there is something wrong with class abilities unless it is an overwhelming comment.

It was revealing (to me anyway you know how poorly I follow development) that the control points where developed after they decided to bin open world pvp. This shows how late both control points and questing where started in the development cycle, that's why these areas are rough around the edges, give them time and they will sort this but it could take a year. Are players going to be that patient and to ask another question does it matter?

As I pointed out before they have their B2P revenue in, if players leave and come back for the next dlc will that be so problematic? It will look bad, but players play MMOs "on rotation" these days and it fits what most players in MMOs want to now do. For those of us who are looking for a MMO home, I say give NW until the end of next year and look again we could be pleasantly surprised.
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    "longevity" indeed, remember Anthems "10 year plan"

Are these games just being built in the hope that some random programmer will pull out a completely different game over a weekend after launching?
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Creativity = Not a single creative feature in New World. Why call it New World at all, you could have just named it Recycled World or Ripoff World.
    Scorchien

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I enjoy the game but the bugs are so reproducible that it's hard to imagine Amazon has even a minimal QA team. Transfers are live again but still broken for quite a few folks including myself. The rest of my guild has already moved.
    Kyleran
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited October 2021
    Iselin said:
    Tokken said:

Asm0deus said:

I guess I've always been a weirdo when it comes to mounts and fast travel. I personally dislike them. I have no problem actually running through the game world and entertaining myself along the way. And with NW there is always something that needs done in the direction you're going. So why not stop and smell the roses as you go rather than zipping about the game world like a stripped assed ape.
    YashaX[Deleted User]druez
    ...snip...

I guess I've always been a weirdo when it comes to mounts and fast travel. I personally dislike them. I have no problem actually running through the game world and entertaining myself along the way. And with NW there is always something that needs done in the direction you're going. So why not stop and smell the roses as you go rather than zipping about the game world like a stripped assed ape.

In NW I am a real flower sniffer, I have bene playign daily since day one, logged in early in the morn to avoid queues, and I am not even lvl 60 yet.....

Housing is just too useful for teleports when needed, for extra storage and buffs....even a gatherer like myself that runs everywhere has plenty uses for teleports especially when your bags are full.
    YashaX[Deleted User]

Iselin said:
    Tokken said:

Asm0deus said:

That's all well and good when the boundaries of your playable world are Everfall to First Light. Shattered Mountain to Cutlass Keys? That's a whole different level of smelling roses :)
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    In pvp all you do is paste a text that people hover over and you win the fight. I'm not even joking.
    Iselin

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Akulas said:
    In pvp all you do is paste a text that people hover over and you win the fight. I'm not even joking.
    I'm trying to wrap my head around someone hovering over chat box links while PvPing but I can't.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited October 2021
    NW still has that new paint and smell to it....Let us know where it stands in a couple of years when that has worn off.....
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    New World has had one of the worst launches ever.  Every day there are more exploits, glitches, bugs and issues.

Yet Im still having a ton of fun in it.  

They need to get a handle on this fast though because more and more people are abusing this stuff. 
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    edited November 2021
    As much as I like the game, the future needs to include some kind of PTS for patches and updates going forward. Some of these bugs are a bit much. I know some people are okay with things for now (myself included) but client-side authority leaves too many variables to deal with in the long term. Unless they make a new client, the future of this game is a bit unreliable. They'd essential be covering gaping wounds with band-aids.
    [Deleted User]