Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World is generic and boring.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
NW is generic boring and bland !!

I haven't posted once in eleven pages because of this.  I've watched every review and many game plays and have yet to see a SINGLE FEATURE !!.... I've read most every post here looking for a good feature and have yet to read ANYTHING APPEALING.

Follow this logic,
If the player hasn't played ESO or FF14 beforehand why play something so generic as New World first.  After all what does this game have to offer other than being new ?..... Certainly not graphics because its eight to ten years more recent, and still nothing cutting edge in that department. 

Seems populated simply because nothing has been released in a very long time.  All this tells me players are STARVING FOR AN MMORPG.

Is their a single feature ?..... Any at all ?
Post edited by delete5230 on
KidRiskklash2defBrainyMikehaEronakis

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2021

This is the overview here on mmorpg.com.... Amazing how they can have several paragraphs of NO FEATURES :D

Hats off to the writer that can make something out of nothing.

New World is a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox MMO set in a cursed and supernatural version of Northern America in the 17th century. Players can be anything they want from farmers to soldiers to lone wolves, as what you do, and whom you work with or against is entirely up to you. The land of New World will be evolving one that changes with the seasons, weather, and time of day.

You can work with others to reclaim monster-haunted wilds and build new civilizations. Or if you'd prefer, you can go solo, surviving in the face of horrific monsters and blood-thirsty player bandits. New World is focused on emergent gameplay with rich social features – including Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards.

Explore a thrilling, open-world MMO filled with danger and opportunity where you'll forge a new destiny for yourself as an adventurer shipwrecked on the supernatural island of Aeternum. Endless opportunities to fight, forage, and forge await you among the island's wilderness and ruins. Channel supernatural forces or wield deadly weapons in a classless, real-time combat system, and fight alone, with a small team, or in massed armies for PvE and PvP battles—the choices are all yours.

FEATURES

• CARVE YOUR DESTINY
      For thousands of years, Aeternum has been the source of fantastical legends—and now you’ve found it. Shipwrecked and without supplies or allies, you’ll need to make your way in a dangerous world where supernatural power has changed all the rules. In such a land, your destiny is whatever you make of it.
    • A LAND SHAPED BY MAGIC
      Aeternum's mysteries run as deep and dark as its history. Delve into the world and uncover the secret truth of the island and its millennia of strange inhabitants. As you explore Aeternum, you’ll discover beauty, danger, and opportunity at every turn. You'll need to use all your skills to take advantage of the island's bounty—and survive its horrors.
    • SWORDS, GUNS & SORCERY
      Arm yourself with brutal melee weapons, ranged artillery, or supernatural powers and jump into New World's classless, real-time action combat system. As you progress you'll be able to determine what you want your gameplay experience to be like—will you act as a protective shield on the front lines of battle? Will you sling spells to support your allies from a safe distance? Only you can decide.
    • STRONGER TOGETHER
      At the core of the New World’s social features are the three factions, organizations of like-minded players and non-player characters with their own motives and schemes for the island's future. It is as a member of one of these factions that you'll wage war and claim, defend, and develop your territory.
    Eronakis
  • stimmer78stimmer78 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    But I like it. I think the game is much better than alternatives. but it is in my opinion.
    Gaming4ez - favorite shop for buying New World coins.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot[Deleted User]YashaXKidRisk
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Disclaimer: I have not played NW, nor watched any videos, most everything I know about the game I read on this site or MOP.

Player roles seem dependent on their gear, much like ESO but without any class dependence, one can re-spec into any role for optimal performance which isn't the case in ESO.

The 50 on 50 wars determine who controls a region who in turn get to set tax rates and presumably collect the gold from them. 

Reminiscent of Lineage 2 where castle owners could do the same, but those wars required hundreds vs hundreds, castles didn't change hands very often and were limited to guild vs server as there were no factions.

I think at this point in time it is truly challenging for developers to come up with totally new ideas or features which haven't been done before in some fashion without coming across as gimmicky or had been avoided in the past for good reason.

Thing is, games are a sum of their features and in combination can make for a fun experience for some while not being to the liking of others.

This combination also determines the games retention rates, spread by word of mouth and many other things. Subtle alterations can increase it's popularity over time, or send the numbers plummeting.

Marketing of course plays a big factor, especially in a games initial success, but let's face it, no amount of marketing was going to save Crowfall, it's designs were just too far from the popular norm and it's execution was somewhat poor, at least from my outside observation.

One day after they get the kinks worked out I'll probably try NW, assuming not course they actually make an attempt to improve things which I think they'll be trying to do over the coming year.

delete5230ChampiedeniterlaseritMendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm only at the watching videos and reading reviews stage myself.....It looks the same to me Delete: Generic and boring.....It will appeal to many though because it is made by a famous company with ALOT of money to market and promote it.....Delete go find a good indie game and give them your money....I don't see any reason to make Bezos richer.
    delete5230Champieklash2def
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I started playing NW casually from release. I don't see any features that other games don't have. It would be amazing if it did have something nobody has done before. That gets harder all the time.

What impresses me is how solid it is. I remember ESO at launch, it had a ton of problems. Especially with their unified server software. The number of complaints about ESO powers not firing, weapon swapping not working, lag, etc, is mountainous.

FF14 launched, and crashed and burned, and they re-wrote it completely. FF14 seems generic to me.

But NW has never crashed on me. I have not found a single bug. No lag, no stuttering, all controls are snappy and quick. And it doesn't matter how many people are on the screen.

NW does have almost all the features of other games. Solid crafting, good graphics, PvE, PvP, exploring, fishing, etc.

If it was a car, it wouldn't be the fastest. Or the most luxurious. Or the most fuel efficient. Or the most flashy or beautiful. NW has just enough of all these things to be good, and it never breaks down.
    Kyleranlaserit

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • quigonginNtonicquigonginNtonic Member UncommonPosts: 17
    ok you go make a game and we will see if its boring or not 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2021
    I think it is lacking from what has been said, but I also don't see anything that they can't sort out by the end of next year, so long term prospects are good.

I want you to think about a worse case scenario and how this fits in with the butterfly way players play MMOs now days; they dip in, play a few months and leave until there is a dlc. The worst case would be a dramatic loss of playerbase but they have already paid their B2P, so the money is in. The drop in future sales would hit them but at some stage a dlc will come along and players will come back.

With so many players talking about "game rotations" and the like do you need to make a MMORPG that you can live in? Why not make one that is frontloaded as most players won't even stay for half a year? That's a problem we have now if like me you play one MMO at a time, is anyone still making them the way we like?
    Kyleranlaseritklash2def
    Xodic said:
    and was presented with a code of conduct that required me to agree to "no hate speech". Since I identify as an asshole, 

Same here !!
    Do you ever think will get our own bathroom in major department stores like Target ?
    Maybe I already have one, and its a lot of fun.  Millions of us are playing it and everyone seems to love it.

Were just not telling you..... Remember everyone don't tell quigonginNtionic  :|
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Xodic said:
    and was presented with a code of conduct that required me to agree to "no hate speech". Since I identify as an asshole, 

Same here !!
    Do you ever think will get our own bathroom in major department stores like Target ?
    bathrooms were originally designed specifically for assholes. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]delete5230Kyleran
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Rungar said:
    Xodic said:

Same here !!
    bathrooms were originally designed specifically for assholes. 
    Yeah, well, you try to get away with peeing in a corner. 
    Things have changed, I'm tellin' ya. 

Once upon a time....

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited October 2021
    To go back on topic, I wonder if the feeling of blandness is not coming simply from MMORPG burnout.

Like other have mentioned, NW does not invent anything but has everything. Yet, it is common to see this comment: "NW is boring." Probably, just because we have seen the same recipe over and over in other games.
    AmarantharKyleranCryomatrix
    Wargfoot said:
    Maybe I already have one, and its a lot of fun.  Millions of us are playing it and everyone seems to love it.

Were just not telling you..... Remember everyone don't tell quigonginNtionic  :|
    Dude, I filed a ticket about a gold seller last night and ya'll had him banned in like 5 minutes.  Thanks for not only producing a great game but the community team is 5 stars as well.

People pay $40 for a game then try to sell gold? I could see if it was f2p.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    this is the first time I'm saying this but I agree with Delete. 

Bland, repetitive, same ol same ol type of Sandbox MMO that doesn't really excel at anything it does. As I said in other threads, it may change in the future but right now all the hype around this game isn't warranted at all. 

But, be careful Delete having your own opinion is dangerous around here apparently. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Yeah my opinion of this game has been going down quickly as I leveled, now at end game I have a very low opinion of the game.  End game the economy for resources is completely broken.  At end game this game has even more problems then I knew.

For people saying they will play in a few months.  Be prepared for a completely broken economy which is what made this game somewhat fun early game.  Resource gathering was a big plus early game.

This game has nowhere left to go but down.  I seriously don't see them able to fix some serious design flaws in a time frame that will matter.
    Scot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wargfoot said:
    Wargfoot said:

Dude, I filed a ticket about a gold seller last night and ya'll had him banned in like 5 minutes.  Thanks for not only producing a great game but the community team is 5 stars as well.

People pay $40 for a game then try to sell gold? I could see if it was f2p.
    I was talking about Delete's game.  :D

That joke aside, I'm not sure how people can afford to buy the game, attempt to sell gold and get banned.  My guess is they're using hacked accounts?   I dunno - I'd like to know the margins behind that.
    Lots cheaper when bought using stolen credit card numbers which sell for $6 to $9 on the darknet.

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Brainy said:
    Yeah my opinion of this game has been going down quickly as I leveled, now at end game I have a very low opinion of the game.  End game the economy for resources is completely broken.  At end game this game has even more problems then I knew.

For people saying they will play in a few months.  Be prepared for a completely broken economy which is what made this game somewhat fun early game.  Resource gathering was a big plus early game.

This game has nowhere left to go but down.  I seriously don't see them able to fix some serious design flaws in a time frame that will matter.

Sounds like Age of Conan when it came out......Never did recover really either.
    Brainy
This discussion has been closed.