Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Server Transfers Disabled Thanks To Gold Dupe Exploit As Economy Stares Down Deflation C

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World's Server Transfers Disabled Thanks To Gold Dupe Exploit As Economy Stares Down Deflation Crisis | MMORPG.com

Server transfers that were long promised opened up to the wider New World playerbase, only to be shut down a day later thanks to a gold dupe exploit. This is amidst the backdrop of an in-game economy that is staring down deflation of its currency.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    What a boring, messed up game. I am so glad I got to check it out in open beta and decided not to get involved.
    Ir1shguyDarkpigeon
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Good thing we decided to all transfer together (not yet) or we would have been splintered more. No man left behind!!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2021
    Frankly, I pretty much consider new game launches to be a mad rush to maximize exploits before they are fixed. Not what I do, I refer to the noticeable meta.

This truly is the trend I see today. I've seen entire guilds in beta, NOT report issues and prepared their launch to exploit everything they found. Minority of players? Sure. Huge impact on the games? You f'ing better believe it.

I noticed this with the kid when he was around 13-15. He'd get a game, and the first thing he did was look up cheat codes ... before he even played the game. I asked why he did this, and he said "because everybody does it".

Just me and a very few others, still here on the bridge.

Scott_JeslisIr1shguy
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    cough, blockchain, cough. No more dupes, not possible. 
    Phixion13
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    bcbully said:
    I take it that you're not a programmer.  Bugs make arbitrarily weird behavior possible, no matter what they're a buggy implementation of.  A buggy implementation of blockchain could absolutely allow duping bugs, just like their buggy implementation of whatever they're using for a database.
    ApridiseTiller[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Cheating in an online video game? I have never heard of such a thing!
    TokkenChampieApridiseircaddicts
  • theGnadetheGnade Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I want to say two things- Players standards are all time low. New World is not much better than Fallout 76 yet people are much less harsher on New World. Second thing I want to say- F#cking amateur rockets scientist.
    TokkenIr1shguy[Deleted User]
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited October 2021
    Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    I take it that you're not a programmer.  Bugs make arbitrarily weird behavior possible, no matter what they're a buggy implementation of.  A buggy implementation of blockchain could absolutely allow duping bugs, just like their buggy implementation of whatever they're using for a database.
    it's highly unlikely even improbabable, impossible is not a reach. I don't believe I ever heard of  a dupe exploit in a blockchain game. Read why below.

A Secure Gaming World with Blockchain

The problem of item duping, which has plagued both gaming companies and users for a long time, can be solved through blockchain technology. When blockchain is incorporated into a game, each item is recorded on a block, and because blockchain technology is virtually impossible to copy or hack, it can solve the problems that arise due to item duping. In addition, through smart contracts and items that are fully attributale to the user, transparent and safe item transactions is possible, eliminating illegally duped items that cause harm to the users. 

https://medium.com/itam/the-solution-to-item-duping-92f8c3bef94a

KyleranRidrithSarlaApridise[Deleted User]SensaiSabbyth
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    LMAO, of all things they couldnt get right.... server transfers are one of the simplest and most basic of things and have been in operation for decades with no issues for other games yet this train wreck of a development house cant get them right.

On the plus side a gold dupe means nothing because there is no economy as everyone just makes their own shit or gets their own drops.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    This game has been an unmitigated and incompetent technical disaster and it is amazing how little its been called out on its bullshit.
    [Deleted User]
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    The bugged character state from transfering and the failed economy. If I could see it coming then there is no reason why AGS couldn't see it coming either.
    [Deleted User]

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    New World Glee Club .... Attack!!!!!
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    New World Glee Club .... Attack!!!!!
    More like the grave dancer reunion

Scorchien

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited October 2021
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    bcbully said:
    it's highly unlikely even improbabable, impossible is not a reach. I don't believe I ever heard of  a dupe exploit in a blockchain game. Read why below.

The problem of item duping, which has plagued both gaming companies and users for a long time, can be solved through blockchain technology. When blockchain is incorporated into a game, each item is recorded on a block, and because blockchain technology is virtually impossible to copy or hack, it can solve the problems that arise due to item duping. In addition, through smart contracts and items that are fully attributale to the user, transparent and safe item transactions is possible, eliminating illegally duped items that cause harm to the users. 

Once again, you seriously underestimate the sort of problems that can be caused by computer bugs.  Heisenbugs are more common than you probably expect, and if you've never heard the term "heisenbug", I'd really recommend looking it up.  The weirdest bug that I've seen in my own code is a program changing itself to have a file size of 0 bytes, even though the program never wrote anything to the file system.

A properly implemented blockchain database is indeed immune to item duping bugs.  But a properly implemented database of whatever sort New World uses would almost certainly also be immune to item duping bugs.  When it's not properly implemented, all bets are off.
    [Deleted User]
  • freaksoldier99freaksoldier99 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    That game fail so hard it's not even funny.

But

Amazon is happy because they sold over 1 millions+ copy, and they call it a success.
    Viper482[Deleted User]
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

But

Amazon is happy because they sold over 1 millions+ copy, and they call it a success.

I know you added + after "1 millions copies", but I think that will be 2 million + copies of the game were sold , at least!

And no, the game didn't failed. Is in the "early days". Yes, it can fail hard if Amazon doesn't act, but as of now, the game is not a failure.

And remember, this game is B2P, so any decent or good update Amazon will do, players will return and along with them, there will also be new players.

I think we have different ideas about what "fail" really means.
    ApridiseIr1shguy[Deleted User]Valdheim

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Garbage game, no surprise.
    borghive49MallyxTheocritus[Deleted User]
  • ApridiseApridise Member UncommonPosts: 72

Garbage game, no surprise.

Trolls bashing a game, no surprise...
    borghive49IselinMallyxvelimiriusViper482Ir1shguy[Deleted User]GroqstrongBabuinixValdheim
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    . . . . sigh

• lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I don't make gold by crafting selling item. I do questing, killing mobs I make a lot of gold. This game don't have a real economy. Better Archeage of this it has a real economy even it is p2w.
    Ir1shguy[Deleted User]
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Economy? LOL. Everyone gets to level 60 in few weeks and farms gear from high level dungeons and mobs. Who needs crafting and economy in NW?

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Spiider said:

Economy? LOL. Everyone gets to level 60 in few weeks and farms gear from high level dungeons and mobs. Who needs crafting and economy in NW?

You don't play, do you?
    HengistSensaiKyleranSabbythValdheim
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

LMAO, of all things they couldnt get right.... server transfers are one of the simplest and most basic of things and have been in operation for decades with no issues for other games yet this train wreck of a development house cant get them right.

On the plus side a gold dupe means nothing because there is no economy as everyone just makes their own shit or gets their own drops.

If programming is so easy why are you not doing it? or would you be a Bill Gates and steal other peoples code to add features to your game? And if you are a programmer you are probably terrible at it if you think everything is easy to implement.

Yes server transfers have been around for a long time but not without issues. It requires a lot of modifications of metadata and date in the backend which if not built into the game from day one becomes a nightmare to implement later because something will be missed.
  • Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

IceAge said:

But

I know you added + after "1 millions copies", but I think that will be 2 million + copies of the game were sold , at least!

And no, the game didn't failed. Is in the "early days". Yes, it can fail hard if Amazon doesn't act, but as of now, the game is not a failure.

And remember, this game is B2P, so any decent or good update Amazon will do, players will return and along with them, there will also be new players.

I think we have different ideas about what "fail" really means.

Yup some people state games fail or flop because they dont like it, their friends dont like it or the streamer they worship dont like it. These people tend not to be able to form their own opinions either just regurgitate the negative stuff they hear all the time.
    BabuinixValdheim
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    edited October 2021

Quizzical said:

bcbully said:

Quizzical said:

bcbully said:

Once again, you seriously underestimate the sort of problems that can be caused by computer bugs.  Heisenbugs are more common than you probably expect, and if you've never heard the term "heisenbug", I'd really recommend looking it up.  The weirdest bug that I've seen in my own code is a program changing itself to have a file size of 0 bytes, even though the program never wrote anything to the file system.

A properly implemented blockchain database is indeed immune to item duping bugs.  But a properly implemented database of whatever sort New World uses would almost certainly also be immune to item duping bugs.  When it's not properly implemented, all bets are off.

That might not bin a bug at all, but a solar/cosmic Radiation Issue, they are Rare but do happen every day to systems/programs and leave no trace since any refresh/reset of a system would fix the "bug" Unless youre program reproduced its result ofc.. a solar hit cant be reproduced.