Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 MMO Soundtracks To Listen To When You Can't Be In-Game | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageTop 10 MMO Soundtracks To Listen To When You Can't Be In-Game | MMORPG.com

Soundtracks can help make or break any game, MMORPGs included. When I think of my favorite moments from any game I've ever played, music is a huge part of those memories. From the rousing iconic melody in The Elder Scrolls Online's main theme to the electronica soundscapes of EVE Online, soundtracks can help set mood and tell a story. Over the history of MMORPGs, many games have sought to create iconic themes and sounds to stand the test of time. Here are 10 of our favorite soundtracks from MMOs

Read the full story here

Comments

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    "past and present" only includes one shuttered game huh.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    edited October 2021
    Everytime a soundtrack article pops up, I feel the need to point out how awesome Hitoshi Sakimoto's "Fantasy Earth Zero" soundtrack is (or was).
    ConstantineMerus

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    No GW2...That soundtrack is simply majestic!
    ircaddictsGilcroix
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Age of Conan, simply the best. Some great choices though.
    dancopTwistedSister77
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557
    Scot said:
    I thought about adding AoC to the list as well, but the sheer diversity of sound on Black Desert's won me over this week while audibly prepping for this list. I really should have thrown some honorable mentions in there, though....
    Scot
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    These are all great choices, but no game has ever gotten music to match the mood and feel of the game like Wildstar. It was such a perfect fit.

Now I just want to play Wildstar. *sigh*
    Arlee
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'm not normally that guy, but calling Genshin an MMO is questionable even by normal standards. I get calling the likes of Destiny and Warframe MMOs because they do have patrol modes with spontaneous player interactions, and they do encourage grouping together.

Genshin does quite the opposite. The majority of the game is aggressively single-player, there is zero incentive to group the only open world content, and almost all of the group instanced content can be (and can often more efficiently be) soloed.

But ahem, off of my soap box. I'd nominate Guild Wars 2 - The Seraph as an essential piece of MMO music. 
    ircaddicts
  • dancopdancop Member UncommonPosts: 11

Scot said:

Agree. It's good they are reusing some tracks in Conan Exiles.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wush 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Too soon?

Composed by Ramin Djawadi of Game of Thrones fame.

bcbullyashiru_1978Scot[Deleted User]Tokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    How can you miss off Age of Conan, still all these years later nothing compares!
    It's the one I compare everything too and rare things match up.
    Scot

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• AllMoAllMo Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Lineage 2 ? No? One of the best OSTs
    Greatnessalin1209[Deleted User]Garrik
  • MonsutaManMonsutaMan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Final Fantasy XI (the best FF MMO.....cough...) has some freaky a$$ music.

Like Arrapago Reef & Castle Zvahl Baileys
  • TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Dark Age of Camelot had great sound.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2021
    Wait what??

I will give you top 2, in no particular order : WoW and Lineage 2 . The rest are meh to good, but this 2 are amazing.

Anyway, one simply cannot ignore L2 Soundtrack.

..and let me help you reminding, how good it is :

And there are many more. And let's not forget the L2-C5 soundtrack, which is also very good.
    Greatnessalin1209ashiru_1978ircaddictsGarrik

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My favorites that i also own are Earth & Beyond and Anarchy Online.
    BarelyEinstein
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    edited October 2021
    Lineage 2's soundtrack - I still listen periodically til this day the original soundtrack, for example:
    And did not realize until now one of the original composer still does concerts of the soundtrack:
    alin1209

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited October 2021
    Wow is the king of mmo sound tracks imo, I still get chills from the elwynn forest and Dun Morogh tracks. And Anarchy Online, geez that takes me back.
    ircaddicts
  • MMOLIFE-AndrewMMOLIFE-Andrew Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Good choices. I also like Albion Online's too. Simplistic, but good.
    edited October 2021
    Interesting to see how many posters who rarely post on here this article has brought out of the woodwork. Something about music I guess?
    Post edited by Scot on
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited October 2021
    If you want to hear your favorites played and improvised on the fly... check out the pianist on Twitch Arylina.  She does viewer requests live and sightreads amazingly... almost always adding improv to the song...

lots of video game requests and movies.

Super chill and small community... and she keeps a a calm/yoga type voice, so you can just flip on at the end of the day and relax. B)

Here's a clip of Final Fantsy 6: Phantom Forrest (freestyle)

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidTriumphantAnacondaTriHard

Silent Hill 2: Promise (blindfolded and freestyle)

https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousBovineRatJKanStyle

Skyrim: Secundra( dreamy version)

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiliableViscousWolverineMikeHogu
    Scot
    If you want to hear your favorites played and improvised on the fly... check out the pianist on Twitch Arylina.  She does viewer requests live and sightreads amazingly... almost always adding improv to the song...

lots of video game requests and movies.

Super chill and small community... and she keeps a a calm/yoga type voice, so you can just flip on at the end of the day and relax. B)

Here's a clip of Final Fantsy 6: Phantom Forrest (freestyle)

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidTriumphantAnacondaTriHard

Silent Hill 2: Promise (blindfolded and freestyle)

https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousBovineRatJKanStyle

Skyrim: Secundra( dreamy version)

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiliableViscousWolverineMikeHogu
    Playing music blindfolded is a silly gimmick, but she is very good and well worth a listen.
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    Ah gaming music, to me just as imortant as graphics if not even more.

It's our emotional connection to a game. I cannot count how many times I have listened to the soundtracks of EvE Online or Guild Wars and instantly thought of returning to those games.

Nowadays there are just to many games where I switch off the music after a week or so and play something else in the background, even though fortunately there are still exceptions here and there.

As some people already mentioned Age of Conan and Lineage 2 were really great aswell.
    I also liked some of EverQuest 2s themes a lot and I remember Vanguard Saga of Heroes having so nice music too.
    ConstantineMerus
  • senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247
    How is Conan not even in that list??? Who wrote that??? 100 monkeys typing on typewriters? Didnt Conan even won some major awards for their soundtrack???

edited October 2021
    senadin said:
    How is Conan not even in that list??? Who wrote that??? 100 monkeys typing on typewriters? Didnt Conan even won some major awards for their soundtrack???
    It certainly did, but I don't think Joseph has a monkey suit or uses a typewriter so calm down mate. :)

AoC won best song in the 'Hollywood Music in Media Awards', Knut Haugen won 'International Film Music Critics Association Award for Best Original Score for a Video Game or Interactive Media'. Pretty prestigious and I am sure there were others.