Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World PvP At Level 10

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited October 2021
    #4 Type... people who are flagged but just want the 10% xp bonus while questing.  Red is not dead to them necessarily.  

I have a good portion of the guild I'm in 100% PvErs.  I encourage them to run flagged, because honestly the 10% is worth it.  It's very easy to avoid or escape fights.  Even if you do die... a respawn to your campfire.  

I run flagged 90% of the time (expeditions make you flag PvE)... and only encounter a handful of PvPrs over hours of questing.

A lot groups that hunt players lie in wait at the PvP quest areas...  it's efficient (since they know pvp flag players will show up).  

PS... it's also more exciting(for me at least)... because you have to be on your guard and observant.  Campfires are also critical in far out areas.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited October 2021
    Tagging is not a good PvP system I encountered it first in Asheron's call, it nearly put me off the idea of PvP in MMORPGs until I went on to play DAOC. Having controlled regions and keeps in NW but with tagging puts the game between two stools. This does seem to be working, players post more about how they like it, but the cracks are there. Long term I think they will try to resolve this but unless they can change to PvP contested regions and PvE uncontested regions I am not sure what they can do.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wargfoot said:

#1: Some people 5x my level are running around with their flags off.  Upon seeing me they'd turn on their flags, wait for the timer, and then kill me in one or two blows. 

That can only happen near a town since they can only flag in a town.

You'd have to be near a town yourself for that to happen and all you'd have to do to avoid death in that situation is make it to the gates of the town yourself since you're safe in there,
    Scot[Deleted User]YashaXKidRisk
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited October 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    I didn't know that about the flagging only in town.
    That is actually a pretty decent system.

I was standing on a well just outside the city gate.

Yep, a few cowards will pvp within running distance of the city... so they are automatically protected when they run near the city gates (if they are losing a fight).

The good news... no stealth in the game... so you can see them easily.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wargfoot said:
    Torval said:
    From my point of view PvP seems to be evolving as mainly a high level end-game type of activity at least outside of guild pvp.
    That is too bad, because I think low level PvP would be quite a bit of fun.
    Especially around MOBs.

You don't have to run elite dungeons, craft until your fingers bleed, or spend hours theory crafting the perfect build.    You can flag at level 10 - it is just impossible to find others willing to do the same.

I'm still figuring out how to dodge.... and PvP at a low level would be a good time to learn some of those basics.

One of my most interesting fights yesterday (most were two strike blow ups) was when a musket came after me and knocked me behind the well.  He shot at me several times and I used the well as cover.   I dunno why, but he wouldn't come around the well even though he had 30 levels on me.  :)

That and the time I finally had enough presence of mind to plug my assailant with one or two arrows before being splattered.  Those were funny.
    New World has some PvP level scaling happening under the hood so you can take on someone higher than you and have a fighting chance.

IDK the ins and outs of it, I just see the whining on reddit about how it shouldn't exists whenever a higher level player blames the scaling when someone lower level owns their ass :)
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Torval said:
    From my point of view PvP seems to be evolving as mainly a high level end-game type of activity at least outside of guild pvp.
    Especially around MOBs.

You don't have to run elite dungeons, craft until your fingers bleed, or spend hours theory crafting the perfect build.    You can flag at level 10 - it is just impossible to find others willing to do the same.

I'm still figuring out how to dodge.... and PvP at a low level would be a good time to learn some of those basics.

One of my most interesting fights yesterday (most were two strike blow ups) was when a musket came after me and knocked me behind the well.  He shot at me several times and I used the well as cover.   I dunno why, but he wouldn't come around the well even though he had 30 levels on me.  :)

That and the time I finally had enough presence of mind to plug my assailant with one or two arrows before being splattered.  Those were funny.
    New World has some PvP level scaling happening under the hood so you can take on someone higher than you and have a fighting chance.

IDK the ins and outs of it, I just see the whining on reddit about how it shouldn't exists whenever a higher level player blames the scaling when someone lower level owns their ass :)
    I didn't know that.
    That sound like the kind of system where you could figure out the sweet spot and really surprise some people.

Thanks for the info... sounds like my kind of exploit. :D

Now that you mention it tho... the few times I hit my arrows were doing like 400+ to the other player... which is 2x what they hit on level MOBs for (If I read the numbers right).  This is interesting.... very interesting.
    Yeah.

It's actually a hot topic on social media and has been so for a couple of months. The scaling was on during the 2 week closed beta in August and many whined about being killed by those 20 levels or more below them.

They turned it off and had no scaling at all in the Open beta weekend in September, and the whining was even more about not having it.

So on the release patch notes they indicated that scaling was back and that's how it is currently.

The details, actual formulas and whether it's the same as in closed beta or something in between closed and open beta no one knows, but it's there.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Torval said:
    Especially around MOBs.

I didn't know that.
    That sound like the kind of system where you could figure out the sweet spot and really surprise some people.

Now that you mention it tho... the few times I hit my arrows were doing like 400+ to the other player... which is 2x what they hit on level MOBs for (If I read the numbers right).  This is interesting.... very interesting.
    Yeah.

It's actually a hot topic on social media and has been so for a couple of months. The scaling was on during the 2 week closed beta in August and many whined about being killed by those 20 levels or more below them.

They turned it off and had no scaling at all in the Open beta weekend in September, and the whining was even more about not having it.

So on the release patch notes they indicated that scaling was back and that's how it is currently.

The details, actual formulas and whether it's the same as in closed beta or something in between closed and open beta no one knows, but it's there.
    I believe all players should be the same level in pvp. The difference should be in the gear and skills acquired along the way. If a fully lvl geared and skilled character can’t beat a noob with the same hit points, god help them.

Giving people the ability to protect themselves from assholes is a must imho.

If I made a game, if you attacked a lowbie you would shrink just like you did in the original Duke Nukem for 10 minutes while trying to avoid the intended victim from squashing them like a bug.

A little mini game ;)
    Iselin[Deleted User]dragonlee66

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Torval said:
    Especially around MOBs.

I didn't know that.

Yeah.

I believe all players should be the same level in pvp. The difference should be in the gear and skills acquired along the way. If a fully lvl geared and skilled character can’t beat a noob with the same hit points, god help them.

Giving people the ability to protect themselves from assholes is a must imho.

If I made a game, if you attacked a lowbie you would shrink just like you did in the original Duke Nukem for 10 minutes while trying to avoid the intended victim from squashing them like a bug.

A little mini game ;)
    Yeah. I'm all in on PvP scaling in MMOs. ESO has always had that and there was still an advantage for higher level players based on what skills and passives they had unlocked but the advantage was relatively small compared to traditional non-scaled MMOs.

That lack of scaling in most is IMO, one of the main reason why PvP in MMOs has a bad rep.
    laserit[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I admire the fact that you turned on PvP with so little going for you. Bravo. I could not have done it in your shoes. <<<<<< Coward
    [Deleted User]cheyanedragonlee66

edited October 2021
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I vote that Warfoot be our NW pvp reviewer.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Yeah its a lot of fun runing around flagged, makes it harder to level up though because I start spending most of the time fighting. Also when you get to slightly higher levels the repair costs after dying start getting pretty steep.

This youtuber Kristofer has some good low level pvp tips and gameplay videos, here's one:

laserit
    edited October 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    ... I cannot hit anything with a bow.

Me neither. I came to the hatchet, ice gauntlet and life staff honestly through a process of elimination over several betas. I suck at both bow and musket.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The fire staff is easier to hit things with compared to the bow, I think its because the projectiles are larger. Also 2 of the main skills you might want to use in pvp -fireball and burnout- don't requuire much aim to use successfully. 

Poison arrow on the bow is pretty nice though. You can just aim for the ground near an enemy and it does good aoe damage.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Torval said:
    Especially around MOBs.

Do they have Snickers Bars in this game?

Once upon a time....