Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still Playing? Get ready to pony up....again!

SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Trials of Obi-Wan

I wonder if this announcement has anything to do with the XP nerf rollback yesterday, despite Tigg's assertion that the change was here to stay. Nah, surely they just did it out of the goodness of their hearts. ::::39::

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
"People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Comments

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Star Wars Galaxies ™ : Trials of Obi-Wan heats things up - literally! -with all new mustafar content inspired by Star Wars : Episode III Revenge of the Sith

So they make a game set between ANH and ESB but boy they love that RotS content huh? Why dont they just pony up and change SWG to the clone wars period? Because that means they would have to actually work you idiot. Ah ok nevermind then.

Leipzig Games Convention - Leipzig , Germany - August 19, 2005 - LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment Inc. ( SOE ) today unveiled Star Wars Galaxies: Trials of Obi-Wan to the cheers of Star Wars Galaxies ™ enthusiasts gathered for a fan breakfast at the 2005 Games Convention in Leipzig , Germany. This third expansion to the popular immersive online game is scheduled for release on November 1st, alongside the Star Wars : Episode III Revenge of the Sith theatrical DVD and Star Wars Battlefront ™ II video game. The companies also revealed that more than 1 million units of the Star Wars Galaxies franchise have now been sold, a testament to its ongoing popularity.

What I want to know is if there have been 1 million copies sold and currently only 250k players, what does that say about the game itself?

Like Obi-Wan Kenobi after his death, Star Wars Galaxies has become "more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Appropriately, Trials of Obi-Wan allows players to better understand the meaning of these final words spoken by Luke Skywalker's mentor, as they embark upon missions delivered directly from the spirit of the revered Jedi Master himself. From the very shores of molten lava where he defeated Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan guides players on quests that span the planet Mustafar - some of which might even convert devotees of the dark side over to a more virtuous path. This expansion features many new high-level quest rewards, including the ability to find a fiery red crystal found only on the volcanic planet that creates a lava-like lightsaber for the lucky owner. Players who fulfill all of Obi-Wan's directives will also receive a rich reward.

Thats it SOE. Smash that dirty old continuity! Destroy it!

Mustafar colonists present many exciting trials of their own, too, as Trials of Obi-Wan includes more than 50 new quests for the galaxy's bravest adventurers, from rescue missions to the exploration of a crashed Republic cruiser. Many quests also revolve around a prominent figure from Star Wars ® : Knights of the Old Republic ® who returns 4,000 years after his prime with one simple mission in mind: Eliminate all meatbags.

50 new quests? EQ2 puts out 1,000 new quests at a time. If I were you SOE, I would keep that quiet. You make it sound like a great accomplishment. And oh look "meatbags" so they are adding HK into it. The assassin droid. Whoopee!

"With Trials of Obi-Wan being an expansion set for release via digital download the same day as the Episode III DVD, we can't think of a better planet to add to Star Wars Galaxies than Mustafar," said Julio Torres, Producer at LucasArts. "Meanwhile, including the spirit of Obi-Wan nicely bridges the prequel era and the more classic-oriented time period depicted in the game. We're really excited about continuing mythology established by other LucasArts games, as well."

This statement is just full of things that piss me off. Riding RotS for all its worth eh SOE? Your like that friend who doesnt have a car and you have to give a ride everywhere. Just admit the game sucks eggs and you gotta do every single LAME marketing scheme to try to keep the 250k you got. Spirit of Obi Wan? I bet Alec Guiness is spinning in his grave and Ewan Macgregor isnt dead but I am sure when he reads this its gonna kill em. "Continuing mythology"? More like "continuing rape of the continuity".

The release of Trials of Obi-Wan will provide a significant boost to a franchise that has already sold more than 1 million units worldwide. In recent months, interest and subscriptions in Star Wars Galaxies has grown, fueled by recent game additions, as well as the connection of the game content to Star Wars : Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

Again 1 million units but only 250k currently??? Means you clods lost over 300% of your player base. Great success there losers.

"A lot of positive changes have taken effect since Star Wars Galaxies first launched," said Nancy MacIntyre, LucasArts' Senior Director for the game. "We've picked up quite a few new fans and reintroduced many others to the game, especially since the Rage of the Wookiees expansion in May. Trials of Obi-Wan will only further this positive momentum."

XP NERF!!! REAL POSITIVE!!! Oh and make sure you dont mention the fans you lost. Over 300% THREE HUNDRED PERCENT!!!!

Jeez these guys just dont know when to quit.

Kai

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621
    The problem with your post Kai is that you're bashing SOE, but Lucas Arts is the one doing the talking.
  • kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Jodokai
    The problem with your post Kai is that you're bashing SOE, but Lucas Arts is the one doing the talking.

The problem is you think SOE is free from guilt and completely innocent. They had a hand in this. Trust me.

But yeah the post also goes to Lucasarts as well.

Kai

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by Jodokai

Yup, and not only are LA doing all the talking, they also seem to be doing all the driving...
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

You know, I've never even played SWG, but it sure seems like these guys honestly try to get the player base furious with them.

It's like they're sitting around and saying: "Man, and they thought the XP Nerf was bad; wait'll they get a load of the new expansion! It's gonna be a riot! Yeah!"

This expansion just doesn't make sense; I don't like to say stuff like this, but it pretty much proves how much they're just in it for the cash. What other reason could there be? From what I've read, the content in this expansion is pretty much the last thing anyone would have wanted for the game.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Ok, I posted immediately after reading the news release, but now I've had a few minutes to think it over.

It's totally a hoax. It can't be real.

They did their EPIII milking with ROTW, no need to milk it more by adding Mustafan (of all planets) to the game just because of the EPIII DVD release. The other two things that totally convinced me this has to be fake is the addition of the assassin droid from KOTOR, just out of the blue, with apparently no relation to the rest of the content. What the hell?

What totally tipped me off though that this exapansion announcement is not real is the part where the news release mentions being able to obtain a 'lava-like' lightsaber? Holy crap, c'mon now people...this CANNOT BE REAL. Not even Lucasart's greed would take them this far.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

I have yet to find any official word besides that link the OP posted, for the sake of the world I really hope its a hoax.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

Seriously I refuse to believe it, and I can't find any news of such a thing other than that link the OP gives us.

MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Originally posted by Dinion
    I have yet to find any official word besides that link the OP posted, for the sake of the world I really hope its a hoax.

Hoax? I've got better things to do with my time. If you'd like to see for yourself. go to the official site:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/index.html

Then click the Friday Feature in the left-hand column. It should be the first item on the list.

Happy Trails.::::28::

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Hoax? I've got better things to do with my time. If you'd like to see for yourself. go to the official site:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/index.html

Then click the Friday Feature in the left-hand column. It should be the first item on the list.

Happy Trails.::::28::

I HATE YOU ::::07::

?::::05::

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Its "expansions" like these that made me quite EQ2. I was sick and tired of every half assed expansion that should of been free offered as a digital download for a fee. I think that they have lost so many customers that they are trying to milk the remaining community for what its worth.

I will NEVER, EVER purchase SoE products. They disgust me.

You know I may not play SWG anymore but those first 8 months of its release had been the most fun I have ever had in an MMO, so I still have an interest in it. I just hate to see where its going now.

EDIT: I just checked the date, its not april 1st unfortunately :(.

Originally posted by madazz
    Its "expansions" like these that made me quite EQ2. I was sick and tired of every half assed expansion that should of been free offered as a digital download for a fee. I think that they have lost so many customers that they are trying to milk the remaining community for what its worth.
    I will NEVER, EVER purchase SoE products. They disgust me.

I'm with you. I had finally just bought "Jump To Lightspeed" a week before "Rage of the Wookiees" was announced. I kept waiting to see if they were going to offer some price break for Station Access subscribers or folks like me who had already bought the first expansion. Heck, I was even willing to give the Combat Upgrade a try until I discovered that Sony was going to charge me the nearly the same as the person who was just trying the game for the first time. This was a slap in the face to the SWG playerbase and I refused to buy.

It was a sad sight to see the "Total Experience" boxes on the store shelves beside copies of "Jump To Lightspeed". Way to support your retailers.::::12::

You know I may not play SWG anymore but those first 8 months of its release had been the most fun I have ever had in an MMO, so I still have an interest in it. I just hate to see where its going now.EDIT: I just checked the date, its not april 1st unfortunately :(.

I'm like you. My character is a Master Creature Handler on Tempest. I took a break from the game for a few months and when I went back for a month, I found things on a downhill slide and it just keeps getting worse.

Pity, really. ::::21::

• WuduLarchWuduLarch Member Posts: 140

A qoute from a post on SWG forums,

"Ok people, you dont even know everything about this and your threatening to quit, look at the detailed part it doesnt seem so bad yet, RELAX!!!! You might actually like it and remember its a game...not reality....if you throw a fit just because you dont like an exp pack well play a new game No one is making you play SWG seriously"

This was the ninth post after the announcement. I wonder how many they posts SOE deleted?

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Still trolling? Get ready for some fresh fuel....again!

Seriously, %$#& off with the trolling of this game, you're making yourselves look like asses. Kai, enough. Let it go. You are about 1 post away from being an all out troll.

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Again 1 million units but only 250k currently??? Means you clods lost over 300% of your player base. Great success there losers.

How can you lose more players than you originally had?

Think you meant they lost ~ 75% ::::40::

Have fun on the ground folks...

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by MrPopov
    Originally posted by kaibigan34

How can you lose more players than you originally had?

Think you meant they lost ~ 75% ::::40::

Have fun on the ground folks...

Actually Kai has a point although he words it badly. 75% attrition over 2 years is pretty high for a "successful" MMORPG. After 2 years if the game had been properly managed it should have had approximately 500,000 subscribers. That doesn't mean it's an unsuccessful MMO... it's still a success since it's profitable. It's just not anywhere near what it should be.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

So, are they once again diverting all their resources to a new extortion rather than fixing what's currently broken?

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Originally posted by Wepps

So, are they once again diverting all their resources to a new extortion rather than fixing what's currently broken?

Yes, thats the million dollar question.

And dont get confused by Lucasart marketing lingo. A million sold = the basic game, the deluxe basic game, JTL, ROTW digi download, Total Experience box ... put that all together and you get a million sold. So that number does NOT mean they lost 75 % of their player base.

Have fun

Erillion