Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World has just barely enough of everything

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    The basic idea behind survival games is that you need to survive for just being. Hunger, thirst, sleep, shelter, etc. Environmental factors wear you down. You'd lose your stuff upon death. Other players are hostile by default unless they "act" friendly. So I am not sure based on what criteria NW is a survival game. 
    As I recall when first announced NW was supposed to have all of those survival features, some of which were in the early alphas but dialed way back after initial player feedback was less than enthusiastic.

I think today remnants of those feature are still visible in the current design but those actually playing would have to confirm.
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    The basic idea behind survival games is that you need to survive for just being. Hunger, thirst, sleep, shelter, etc. Environmental factors wear you down. You'd lose your stuff upon death. Other players are hostile by default unless they "act" friendly. So I am not sure based on what criteria NW is a survival game. 
    As I recall when first announced NW was supposed to have all of those survival features, some of which were in the early alphas but dialed way back after initial player feedback was less than enthusiastic.

I think today remnants of those feature are still visible in the current design but those actually playing would have to confirm.
    Yes I too remember it was supposed to be a survival game and on my second coming one of the lovely members of these forums informed me that it is going to be a normal(?) MMO. I've been playing a fair amount of time and none of those elements are in the game. This by no means is a survival game. 

On that note; are you still playing FO76? I got back in and wow this game has improved, having a great time now. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I find many people get too emotional to have an honest objective discussion about a game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I definitely get a flavour in the overall taste. Have you played?

laserit said:
    NW? Yes I have been playing since launch. I have also played a lot of survivals. I'm not sure how you are getting that taste mate. Maybe because you know it was supposed to be a survival and you feel like it has merely been redressed. But when it comes to core mechanics, it is missing all the key ingredients. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

Yes I too remember it was supposed to be a survival game and on my second coming one of the lovely members of these forums informed me that it is going to be a normal(?) MMO. I've been playing a fair amount of time and none of those elements are in the game. This by no means is a survival game. 

On that note; are you still playing FO76? I got back in and wow this game has improved, having a great time now. 
    FO76 no longer has any of those survival features you mentioned. It's easy to game "requirements" in a game. Using buffs and boons promotes systems adoption much more than a punitive approach.

Like Fallout 76, New World food provides buffs. The lack of buffs make it much more challenging to complete content.

In 7 Days to Die it's easy to find food enough to survive, but after the first couple of weeks food is sought after for the buffs it provides. Beer provides a huge buff to damage and with the right passive perks in place has no ill effects.

The point being after a certain point in any survival game or MMO punitive debuffs from food (and similar systems) become irrelevant. In EQ2 people used to need food for carry weight. When that quickly became trivialized it just became another, among the many, inventory management item.

If you play survival games you can still feel those designs in New World, such as how the UI is accessed (inventory through TAB key for example), crafting, food use, weapons, and so on.
    Yes FO76 has changed, true. Game also starts in a sense that you are tossed into this world that you got to learn how to survive in it. I agree on that part. 

Buffs and de-buffs are important, true, but these elements were not introduced in the survival genre, they came with RPGs. Survival games is about, well, surviving, not just being challenges. And there is a punishment for failing at surviving. When players get themselves killed to fast-travel, that means that core simply doesn't exist.

The abundance of food and resources, ammunition, weapons, armor, etc. doesn't really make me feel I am surviving in this world, more like thriving. The whole gameplay isn't really about surviving, it's about leveling and gaining new powers to PvP and raid dungeons, like most other normal (?) MMORPGs. 

FYI: I am a pain in the ass to talk about genres, styles, labels, etc. 

edited October 2021
    laserit said:
    NW? Yes I have been playing since launch. I have also played a lot of survivals. I'm not sure how you are getting that taste mate. Maybe because you know it was supposed to be a survival and you feel like it has merely been redressed. But when it comes to core mechanics, it is missing all the key ingredients. 
    I said there is a bit of flavour in the taste. Earlier in another thread I said the crafting and the combat had a survival feel to them for me.

I wasn’t trying to discredit you, I was interested in your thoughts 
    ConstantineMerus

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    JeroKane said:

It is it's own game, A game that hundreds of thousands of people apparently enjoy. 
    Enjoy when you are on the winning faction I guess?

And how long are you going to enjoy that, when you won't have any players left in the other two wiped out factions to fight against?  Then what?

On my current primary server, my Covenant faction has been practically wiped out and Marauders being next on the wipe out list. Our faction chat has pretty much died out, as people either don't care anymore, rerolled a new char to join the dominating faction or moved to another server or quit the game already.

On my second server it's the same deal. Here I am apparently on the dominating faction that is in the process of wiping out the other two.

The fact that this can happen so quickly and is even possible at all, is an epic fail in my book.
    There should have been mitigations in place or at least incentives for losing factions to fight back.
    But there aren't and so people just give up and leave said server.

Just take a look. Only a handful of servers still have queues. A lot of other servers that had queues have none now. Including my two servers that had 700+ queues just last week.
    Sounds to me like players give up way too easily, can’t deal with failure. How do we develop against that. Give them fake wins to boost their morale?
    Isn't that the whole idea of RVR? That if there is a dominant side that the other two sides ban together and fight the dominant side?

I asked this in another thread but how did Dark Age of Camelot handle this?
    Yes, I thought

But it seems players would rather quit and join the winning team then stick with the team that they believed in and to work with other affiliations to achieve a common goal.

Sound familiar ;) 

edited for clarity 
    I think I missed the answer in the other thread.

But I can't disagree with you. I think this is just another example of how the audiences for the early games were so different from the modern audience who play these games.

So yeah, people ask for a great RVR game citing Dark Age of Camelot but it seems that it doesn't matter if such a game exists, the current player base is only interested in winning and loot and apparently not earning it.

It would take a very clever and talented development team to make losing an ok proposition.

I could vaguely imagine a system where losing added some sort of multiplier so that when a win was finally achieved when things were turned around, the new winning side achieved a greater reward.

However, I'm sure that's exploitable.
    Well yeah, what other reason is there to PVP or do much of anything except earn progression as efficiently as possible?

Challenge is for suckers, speed rules.  RVR guild I joined in ESO timed how fast objectives (Keeps, resource points) could be taken down, didn't bother too much with Keep defenses especially once the tide started to turn as greater (or more rapid) rewards went to attackers.

That sounds like a truely horrible guild.
    Kyleran
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    JeroKane said:

It is it's own game, A game that hundreds of thousands of people apparently enjoy. 

And how long are you going to enjoy that, when you won't have any players left in the other two wiped out factions to fight against?  Then what?

On my current primary server, my Covenant faction has been practically wiped out and Marauders being next on the wipe out list. Our faction chat has pretty much died out, as people either don't care anymore, rerolled a new char to join the dominating faction or moved to another server or quit the game already.

On my second server it's the same deal. Here I am apparently on the dominating faction that is in the process of wiping out the other two.

The fact that this can happen so quickly and is even possible at all, is an epic fail in my book.
    There should have been mitigations in place or at least incentives for losing factions to fight back.

Just take a look. Only a handful of servers still have queues. A lot of other servers that had queues have none now. Including my two servers that had 700+ queues just last week.
    Sounds to me like players give up way too easily, can’t deal with failure. How do we develop against that. Give them fake wins to boost their morale?
    Isn't that the whole idea of RVR? That if there is a dominant side that the other two sides ban together and fight the dominant side?

Yes, I thought

But it seems players would rather quit and join the winning team then stick with the team that they believed in and to work with other affiliations to achieve a common goal.

Sound familiar ;) 

edited for clarity 

But I can't disagree with you. I think this is just another example of how the audiences for the early games were so different from the modern audience who play these games.

So yeah, people ask for a great RVR game citing Dark Age of Camelot but it seems that it doesn't matter if such a game exists, the current player base is only interested in winning and loot and apparently not earning it.

It would take a very clever and talented development team to make losing an ok proposition.

I could vaguely imagine a system where losing added some sort of multiplier so that when a win was finally achieved when things were turned around, the new winning side achieved a greater reward.

Well yeah, what other reason is there to PVP or do much of anything except earn progression as efficiently as possible?

Challenge is for suckers, speed rules.  RVR guild I joined in ESO timed how fast objectives (Keeps, resource points) could be taken down, didn't bother too much with Keep defenses especially once the tide started to turn as greater (or more rapid) rewards went to attackers.

Yeah, I didn't stick around, that sort of RVR grind wasn't what I was seeking, but some players clearly enjoyed it

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    JeroKane said:

Yes, I thought

Sound familiar ;) 

edited for clarity 

Yeah, I didn't stick around, that sort of RVR grind wasn't what I was seeking, but some players clearly enjoyed it
    Sounds like early days of meta-gaming before it was even called that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2021
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    JeroKane said:

Yes, I thought

Sound familiar ;) 

edited for clarity 

Sounds like early days of meta-gaming before it was even called that.

Meta gaming has been a  around for decades...   just sayin :)

Kyleran said:

No, I still have FO76 updated on my laptop, but every time I log in there's nothing new for me to accomplish, no challenges or goals if you will.

The concept of playing for "fun" escapes me, no progression, no reason to play, same reason why I rarely go back to a game after I leave them.

Recall I generally play 3 games or less a year, but play the heck out of them while I do, so there's just too many unplayed games on my bucket list to really ever look back.

ConstantineMerus

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327

NW gives total freedom where DAOC restricts you to classes.

NW offers complete freedom in shallow water, while DAOC allows deep diving in the designated swim area.
    nurso said:

NW gives total freedom where DAOC restricts you to classes.

NW offers complete freedom in shallow water, while DAOC allows deep diving in the designated swim area.
    Nothing like deep diving with a suit of armor on. If you had to strip before you could do it... I'd be with you.

edited October 2021
    Maybe a Developer can chip in, but I don't think adding swimming per se in a mmorpg is a difficult task but that is not to say that its not an onerous one.

I think giving swimming meaningful mechanics that the audience will find entertaining is a really tough nut to crack.

I thinks it's all about what your trying to achieve.

edit: Thinking on it, I think Vanilla Wow was my favorite swimming mechanics so far to date.

Before they nerfed it.

I guess what I'm trying to say in the end is that its all a matter of taste.

There is no right or wrong.
    YashaX

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If your map doesn't look like something like this, you're doing something wrong.
    Just saying.

And I've slacked at Cutlass lately.

The territory colors on my server are in constant flux. There are some stable ones and some that have at one time or another been controlled by all 3 factions.

About new world haters and trolls... I thought they had their own thread (Delete's) now?

I guess it really bothers and threatens them that some enjoy what they don't.

Some of them haven't liked any MMORPG literally in decades and they wear that as some messed up badge of honor... in an MMORPG forum. Go figure.

:)

[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    If your map doesn't look like something like this, you're doing something wrong.
    Just saying.

The territory colors on my server are in constant flux. There are some stable ones and some that have at one time or another been controlled by all 3 factions.

About new world haters and trolls... I thought they had their own thread (Delete's) now?

Some of them haven't liked any MMORPG literally in decades and they wear that as some messed up badge of honor... in an MMORPG forum. Go figure.

It has become harder to enjoy something without offending others. I kid you not, the other day I ordered vanilla ice-cream and everyone stared at me like I am a freaking retard.
    Iselin[Deleted User]

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Just saying.

It has become harder to enjoy something without offending others. I kid you not, the other day I ordered vanilla ice-cream and everyone stared at me like I am a freaking retard.
    Weirdo... ;)
    ConstantineMerus

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    The difference between "Just Barely Enough" and "Not Enough" is immense.   A plane with just barely enough fuel to land has reached it's destination safely.
    YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

The difference between "Just Barely Enough" and "Not Enough" is immense.   A plane with just barely enough fuel to land has reached it's destination safely.
    As I often tell my wife as I careen madly through traffic "an inch I'd as good as a mile" (or KM)

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Yes, that was my original point for this thread. NW has enough, just barely, of everything. And plenty of room to grow.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Just saying.

The real Picard would be face palming himself at your desperate attempt to cope with reality.
    At this point, I'm starting to ask myself what is your stake in this game to whiteknight it to this ridiculous level.

A map really?! gtfo

At least I'm not an asshat like you, attacking other people's posts without any kind of counter argument, and also insulting people because of the game they enjoy.

GTFO ? Please, come to me. Metz, France. I'll even offer you a beer.

In a world of dumb sheep being an asshat is quite alright ty.
    Have you ever stop to wonder if your actions maybe deserve to be insulted and laughed at?
    You think i'm here to engage in circle jerking with you? Please tough guy... Keep your beer.
    You are free to enjoy crap and be delusional about it, but whiteknighting it is too much. 
    You can't paint a turd in gold and try to sell it. I'm kinda against that shit.
    In this case it seems the asshat is also one of the dumb sheep.
    Iselin
    edited October 2021
    Kyleran said:
    As I often tell my wife as I careen madly through traffic "an inch I'd as good as a mile" (or KM)

It is funny because I say that too but in a different context. 
    IselinYashaXKyleran

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light